• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Here's a new bug, at least I've never encountered it before. While trying to join the companions and your sent out into the courtyard with that guy to test you, when he draws his sword all the companions become hostile.

black070

Need to wait it out until I can play it on my Pro - finished off the intro and raided a mine, enjoyed it thoroughly and found it leaps and bounds above the last gen version. Anyone coming from PS3/360 shouldn't think twice about picking this up.

DOWN

Banned
So the textures are essentially a processed version of the high res pack (it does look better than the original high res pack, but not a ton), the lighting is improved, more foliage, new snow and water? And on PS4 the audio is great?

I think this has convinced me to go PS4

PC players seem annoyed, but for those of us who don't want PC it sounds like a step up in most ways

Cc23830

Im downloading right now ( hard drive was full but luckily had no mans sky on there, easy decision)

And i am prper excited as i have never played Skyrim but am a huuuuge fallout fan. So here we go.

Figure I might as well ask this here, is there any way I can increase the MSI Afterburner OSD size? I'm downsampling from 4K to 1080P and I can barely read the OSD.

xMALADJUSTEDx

Neo Member
Here's a new bug, at least I've never encountered it before. While trying to join the companions and your sent out into the courtyard with that guy to test you, when he draws his sword all the companions become hostile.

Happened to me as well. What I did was waiting for the other companions go to sleep and then continue with the quest.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This thread is REALLY interesting. Not only do we learn how awful the new sounds are on PC and Xbox One compared to the original game's, but we learn that the PS4 version of Skyrim Special Edition has sound quality that far surpasses the original game's quality due to Sony's high quality proprietary format.

That also helps explain why Sony wouldn't allow mod content that adds audio. Just guesswork here, but presumably it simply wouldn't have worked unless they released a free version of their sound file system for modders to make use of? And even then modders would have to package their files completely differently for the PS4 versions.

Well, I'm extremely hyped for the PS4 Pro version at least now.

So the textures are essentially a processed version of the high res pack (it does look better than the original high res pack, but not a ton), the lighting is improved, more foliage, new snow and water? And on PS4 the audio is great?

PC players seem annoyed, but for those of us who don't want PC it sounds like a step up in most ways

If you aren't particularly interested in mods, then yep, PS4 is a great choice. Especially if you plan on getting the Pro.

If you are interested in some of the more game changing mods though, like Open Cities, and anything that adds new content, then you'll probably want Xbox One or PC instead. It'll be very interesting to see how Scorpio affects the mod scene and the game's performance.

Im downloading right now ( hard drive was full but luckily had no mans sky on there, easy decision)

And i am prper excited as i have never played Skyrim but am a huuuuge fallout fan. So here we go.

Well, it's much better than Fallout 4, so if you liked that, you should love Skyrim.

(I say this as someone who doesn't know how well Skyrim has aged, though.)

takriel

I can't get over those ugly as sin character models and clunky animations. Damn, even for 2011 standards this looks rough.

I can't get over those ugly as sin character models and clunky animations. Damn, even for 2011 standards this looks rough.

Yeah they looked rough at the time, but we're a huge improvement over Fallout 3 and Oblivion so people were ok with it

Consider that Uncharted 3 released that year

Unai

Figure I might as well ask this here, is there any way I can increase the MSI Afterburner OSD size? I'm downsampling from 4K to 1080P and I can barely read the OSD.

On screen display zoom in RTSS.

brDVQTD.png

Yeah, it's a pretty big leap going from 360 to PS4, worth it for the improved load times at least.

Happened to as well. What I did was waiting for the other companions go to sleep and then continue with the quest.

I managed to get it by it by having my companion wait inside. Lydia always starting shit.

I just bought the CDKeys.com Legendary edition of Skyrim and I redeemed it on steam, do I still get the Special Edition for free? If so how do I go about getting it?

Well it looked rough at the time too. Honestly it's one of those games where the sum is greater than the whole of it's parts. That being said I was kind of hyped for this but my hype is quickly deflating now that I realize it's going to be several months of dedicated modding work to get back to where we still are with OG skyrim. And the new additions aren't all that significant. I mean I really like volumetric lighting and dof but something tells me those were essentially freebies related to upgrading to the FO4 build of the CE (It's still gamebryo to me). It seems like they cut corners on everything else and in fact actively worsened some aspects of the game.

Now that I've noticed how compressed the audio is and I know it's not just my ears being funny it's really grating in a game with so much dialogue etc...

Wallach

For now I swapped the X800D over to the PC so I can play the PC SE on the bigger display. Looks lovely. Hope they revert to the original .wav files, not sure why they compressed the audio so much on the PC; I haven't really noticed a huge difference, but I'd rather spend the download bandwidth and hard drive space than permanently have worse audio source files.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Dang the new shadow system looks fantastic on the streams

Thats probably the number 1 biggest thing for why I'll eventually jump over to the SE (once the script extender gets made) given that even with mods there was never a way to fix Skyrims shadows.

The NPC's were jarring to me as well after playing it for the first time in 3 years or so. To be honest, I actually prefer the Oblivion NPC's. Yes they looked like shit and the voice actors were hilarious but they looked so much more alive.

Syder

Anyone know if you're still entitled to the Special Edition if you get the old game + DLC later?

I'm just lacking the Dragonborn DLC on Steam and I'd like to try to SE if I can find that DLC pack at a reasonable price somewhere.

From one of the 12 or so people who has never touched this game before (No, I wasn't in a coma), any good sites with a good breakdown of races/classes/whatever or recommendations?

kris.

Banned
From one of the 12 or so people who has never touched this game before (No, I wasn't in a coma), any good sites with a good breakdown of races/classes/whatever or recommendations?

the TES wiki has a pretty solid breakdown of races here. don't worry about classes because there are none. just go with whatever feels right to you. mess around with different weapons, try out different kinds of magic, and find out which you feel most comfortable using for that playthrough.

Wallach

Anyone know if you're still entitled to the Special Edition if you get the old game + DLC later?

I'm just lacking the Dragonborn DLC on Steam and I'd like to try to SE if I can find that DLC pack at a reasonable price somewhere.

No, I'm pretty sure that deal ended with the launch. It's $40 on PC from there out.

rashbeep

Banned
The new snow shader is kinda lame. Basically someone opened up the snow textures and put white dots all over them. The "sparkles" occur in heavily shaded areas too..

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I've played Skyrim for over 1000 hours across Steam and 360 and I'm still unsure about a build. I want to make a thief build, that can make it through the main story, Dawnguard, and Dragonborn (This will be my "main" character).

Any ideas of Health/Magicka/Stamina distribution? And perks? Every guide I find always makes an assassin of sort, but I want my DB character to be pure evil and dedicated to murder, not thievery.

Mercador

Yes if you've never played it, no if you have.

Yeah I did. Never completed the main quest though, but I did every faction, guild and such. Never played DLC though but I have them on 360. I'll wait for smaller price because at 92$cdn per game, it costs a bit too much for my wallet.

Unai

I've played Skyrim for over 1000 hours across PS and 360 and I'm still unsure about a build. I want to make a thief build, that can make it through the main story, Dawnguard, and Dragonborn (This will be my "main" character).

Any ideas of Health/Magicka/Stamina distribution? And perks? Every guide I find always makes an assassin of sort, but I want my DB character to be pure evil and dedicated to murder, not thievery.

Thieves don't kill unless they have to! You want to look for an assassin build instead. I personally love to play as a sneaky sniper archer. In high levels of sneak you can clean whole dungeons and forts without being seeing even once. You don't need much Health, and only need Magicka if you also want to mix some spells like the ones from the Illusion school, but sneak is so overpowered that this is not really necessary. Also, you can become a vampire since it has some useful bonus to this build.

Edit: I only realized now that you have already played it a lot, so you probably already knew this and was looking for something more specific. Oh well.

Godan

So i gota have the DLC as well as the base game on PC to get the free upgrade?

Only have the base game so kinda sucks if i have to get all the DLC

So is this version worth it? I've played Skyrim before (didn't finish it though) but never touched the DLC or mods.
How is the visual uprgade and performance on X1/PS4?

Top Bottom