• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on VR "Right now feels like Demos and Experiments"

acm2000

VR will always be niche since its only really suitable for 1 type of game, ones with cockpits/fixed head postions.

Outside of that its the wii all over again, gimmicky crap or worse a tacked on "vr" overhead view point.

That is until they solve the whole moving issue, teleporting is crap, moving with sticks makes you upchuck.

I wish the title was "Phil Spencer comments on VR" so people would actually read what he wrote. Replying after having read only the title is getting out of hand honestly.

EvB

But I think this quote is very newsworthy in particular. So there is in fact no commitment from Microsoft to deliver a VR solution at the launch of the Scorpio.

Also there is this... interesting bullet point on the Scorpio official website :

I suspect they are gearing up to position the Scorpio on a very particular way, when you look at the mixed message of PS4 Pro , where the message has gone from a machine to deliver the best PSVR experience to a different message alltogether

anddo0

Hardly ever agree with Phil. I gotta say he has a point.

I'll continue to watch from the sidelines until something compelling is released.
I'm glad that some are happy with VR in it's current state; but I feel like I'm missing nothing.

Angel_DvA

He's right, we are at the beginning of the VR, everything I've played so far in VR was demo like but i enjoy all of it, can't wait to see what's next because its the future...

seb

Banned
Lol, comment of the day.

If people bothered to read the interview you would see he isn't bashing the PSVR, as a matter of fact he seems quite favourable of it. I don't think anyone's going to argue that a) there aren't many full fledged titles for it (YET) and b) that anyone wants to see anything other than the technology flourish in terms of sales and scope.

My first inflammatory comment on this board I swear!
I have read the interview now and while he doesn't say anything near as bad as the title suggests, he is still plain wrong imo.
I will definitely argue that the psvr launch lineup is way better than he or you are making it out to be. I have yet to finish tethered, wayward sky, tumble, Rez and Batman, and that's just the beginning of it. All of these are full fledged games. And new games are coming every week.
As for the maturity of the headset, if you experienced the ps1 launch, that's how it feels right now. Did you care about the texture mapping errors in ridge racer? I didn't.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Consedering the fantastic experience I had so far with my PS VR, I feel lucky some companies are more adventurous and experimental than Microsoft :)

But I think this quote is very newsworthy in particular. So there is in fact no commitment from Microsoft to deliver a VR solution at the launch of the Scorpio.

Also there is this... interesting bullet point on the Scorpio official website :

Erm what? Microsoft probably invest as much as Sony in VR. They partnered with Oculus and bundled the XBox controller with the Rift. They are making Hololens. They are also partnering up with manufacturers to make Windows 10 VR headsets. How is that less adventurous or experimental than anyone else?

bennibop

What a surprise Microsoft says VR does not matter when they don't have a competing product on the market.

For all those agreeing or have mythical VR devices collecting dust go and actually try or buy one these devices before commenting.

anddo0

What a surprise Microsoft says VR does not matter when they don't have a competing product on the market.

For all those agreeing or have mythical VR devices collecting dust go and actually try or buy one these devices before commenting.

What about those of us who have demoed all three extensively?

Tfault

Consedering the fantastic experience I had so far with my PS VR, I feel lucky some companies are more adventurous and experimental than Microsoft :)

But it is interesting that Microsoft announced partnerships with Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP and Lenovo that will bring virtual reality (VR) headsets to Windows 10.

Okay does not mention Xbox, but HMD's are due out Autumn 2017 around the suggested Scorpio launch! Wonder if full games will be available then :)

Why dial this up to eleven for no reason? Are you suggesting that the OP is lying?

Yeah you're mostly right Phil, but them Demos and Experiments feel god damn awesome and fresh, I'm happy with the PSVR launch and glad Sony jumped in now rather than in 2 or 3 years with PS5.

Like many said in other threads, this is like the early PSX days of 3d gaming but in VR, it'll only get better from here on out!

oni-link

There is no need to get upset, nor to dismiss those who have views that don't match your own

Do you honestly believe every single person who has tried VR has already mapped out plans for their future VR room?

To some people, it's cool, but not the be all and end all

kinggroin

Banned
From the man himself

"which I actually think it’s absolutely the right thing to have happened. That’s not a criticism at all"

(Regarding tech demos and experiments)

spwolf

But it is interesting that Microsoft announced partnerships with Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP and Lenovo that will bring virtual reality (VR) headsets to Windows 10.

Okay does not mention Xbox, but HMD's are due out Autumn 2017 around the suggested Scorpio launch! Wonder if full games will be available then :)

and those VR headsets that were trumpeted in their PR have very little definition right now, unlike PSVR.

So yes, it is all about PR... wait for Scorpio, wait for VR.

bennibop

There is no need to get upset, nor to dismiss those who have views that don't match your own

Do you honestly believe every single person who has tried VR has already mapped out plans for their future VR room?

To some people, it's cool, but not the be all and end all

You do not need to be condescending, you have a point I am sure some people have tried VR and have decided its not for them, but there are others who obviously have not. I have been play video games for 30+ years and enjoy my hobby but am beginning to hate the fanbase. They complain about a lack of innovation in the industry and when something arrives that could potentially do that with the right backing they moan.

I still stand by my comment regards Microsoft though, they are making a noise as they do not have a device.

Trup1aya

If RIGS is an experiment or demo then we are off to a great start.

I got PS VR at lauch and haven't played anything else since. It's looking like it'll be that way until FFXV launches.

RIGs is probably the most fully realized VR experience available today. Beyond that 'cockpit' locomotion seems to be something that VR developers already have a grasp of- no longer experimenting, it's been figured out.

That said, RIGs is the exception. There is still a lot that needs to be figured out, and most existing titles are clear attempts to learn what works and what doesn't.

Lichter

Yeah he's right, and no he is not dissing VR headsets/content.

MS (it's more Windows related imo) is holding a VR event this December btw.

I guess the rest of MS doesn't share his opinion, considering they're partnering up with manufacturers to make VR headsets.
Both of these things can be in coexistence. Not sure if you read the article or not, but what Microsoft is doing doesn't conflict with what Spencer said in this interview.

oni-link

You do not need to be condescending, you have a point I am sure some people have tried VR and have decided its not for them, but there are others who obviously have not. I have been play video games for 30+ years and enjoy my hobby but am beginning to hate the fanbase. They complain about a lack of innovation in the industry and when something arrives that could potentially do that with the right backing they moan.

I still stand by my comment regards Microsoft though, they are making a noise as they do not have a device.

He says in the article that it's a good thing, it's how devs will get used to the tech

I don't think he's trying to shoot down anyone who is selling a VR headset, or VR in general

ArtHands

He didn't say it does not matter. Read the article before you comment. He's saying the library is not matured yet, but he believes it will do so few years later.

Trup1aya

I guess the rest of MS doesn't share his opinion, considering they're partnering up with manufacturers to make VR headsets.

Well, his position is that experimentation is exactly what needs to be happening at this time, and obviously MS agrees with that.

You should probably read the article before commenting, because he didn't even come close to saying VR doesn't matter.

He says in the article that it's a good thing, it's how devs will get used to the tech

I don't think he's trying to shoot down anyone who is selling a VR headset, or VR in general
What's ironic is that the only product he criticizes in this interview is the Kinect. He's not putting PSVR or any VR down at all, here.

bennibop

He didn't say it does not matter. Read the article before you comment. He's saying the library is not matured yet, but he believes it will do so few years later.

I read it. pretty obvious what this is about imo and that sales regards his direct competition.

I agree that the development community needs to learn VR before we will see the profound experiences that VR can bring.

Right now, though? There's still plenty to go on and I feel the execution right now is amazing for a majority of games. Everyone, including the players, are learning to work in VR so I'm really glad we have these smaller chunks with reasonably simple structures to break us in.

There's a benefit now that will extend to the future, for sure.

Can't wait to see where we are at in 3 or 5 years.

Coxy100

Banned
Fully agree with him. And personally I feel this will go the way of Kinect. Yes hardcore gamers will love it, but casuals won't want to pay that much for it.

Personally I have zero interest in VR. I've been gaming since the 80's and I'm happy to carry on gaming the traditional way...

ArtHands

I read it. pretty obvious what this is about imo and that sales regards his direct competition.

Why will you think he's saying it does not matter when Microsoft is also pushing out Windows10 powered VR headsets too then?

Trup1aya

Yeah, these harmless and factual comments made to a little known publication were designed to stifle PSVR sales.

I should buy stock in tinfoil

"Our plan is to wait until design philosophies mature" = "there's no fun to be had now, don't waste your money"

He sounds like he didn't really spend a lot of time with VR yet. PSVR games line up is amazing and likely the best there ever was for a new hardware launch.

And there are many full-fledged titles already. Just take a look at RIGS, Driveclub, Tumble VR, Tethered or the upcoming Robinson.

Anyone who claims their device is already collecting dust should just... you know... purchase some games for it?

Erm what? Microsoft probably invest as much as Sony in VR. They partnered with Oculus and bundled the XBox controller with the Rift. They are making Hololens. They are also partnering up with manufacturers to make Windows 10 VR headsets. How is that less adventurous or experimental than anyone else?

It's interesting you brought the Oculus partnership, here is Spencer last stance about it, from this fresh ITW with Game Informer (an interesting read, by the way).

Phil Spencer said:
On the political side with Palmer, I don’t really have much to comment. Not to duck it, I honestly read the same things you read, but I actually don’t know Palmer that well. I’ve met him maybe twice, so I don’t have much to say about that.

Just to be clear on our partnership with Oculus: they license our controller to bundle with their head-mounted display. That’s what we did. And we happen to ship Minecraft on Gear VR and Oculus.

At a working level, we’re as invested in making sure that all the Windows head-mounted displays work. We’re working with Valve and HTC to make sure that device works, too.

As for the Windows 10 headest, as far I as understand they have nothing to do with gaming and Xbox (their announcement were not mentioned at all on Xbox Wire or Xbox Twitter). Maybe I should have precised that was talking about VR console gaming ? How could we seriously put PlayStation and Xbox on the same level of investment as far as VR goes ?

Another intriguing quote from the Stevivor ITW.

Phil Spencer said:
“If I think about the technology I would say the idea… that I’m going to put on a head-mounted display and have a wire hanging out the back of my head that connects to some box in a room [is wrong]. It’s gotta go away. Most non-core gaming people are not going to do that.

Is Spencer implying that we are not going to get Xbox VR gaming before the adoption of a wireless and boxless headset for console ?

Mathieran

Banned
I agree that it's gonna be a little bit until it hits mainstream but I disagree that it feels like just tech demos. Rigs is the best example of a full blown legit game.

ArtHands

It's interesting you brought the Oculus partnership, here is Spencer last stance about it, from this fresh ITW with Game Informer (an interesting read, by the way).

As for the Windows 10 headest, as far I as understand they have nothing to do with gaming and Xbox (their announcement were not mentioned at all on Xbox Wire or Xbox Twitter). Maybe I should have precised that was talking about VR console gaming ? How could we seriously put PlayStation and Xbox on the same level of investment as far as VR goes ?

Another intriguing quote from the Stevivor ITW.

Is Spencer implying that we are not going to get Xbox VR gaming before the adoption of a wireless and boxless headset for console ?

I don't think that stance with Oculus changes anything tbh. And yes you probably should have precised that you are talking only about VR console gaming. But as a company overall, Microsoft has definitely invested quite a sum into VR with the headsets partnership.

Rodelero

Fully agree with him. And personally I feel this will go the way of Kinect. Yes hardcore gamers will love it, but casuals won't want to pay that much for it.

That's literally the opposite of Kinect.

Every VR thread is the same. Someone is quoted being somewhat negative about VR. A hundred posters come into the thread to nod their head and decide to reinterpret the statement as an endorsement of their personal agenda.

Right now it's indeed a terrible experience (having only played with oculus), that I don't see taking of as a simple solution of these headsets.

I mean I do agree that vr is the future, but when that future does come the only thing similar to our current setup will be the concept of vr itself, like there will be a breakout similar to the transistor compared to the steam valvule, that will make those terrible headsets look like those old ass room filling pcs that couldn't outperform a calculator.
Phil Spencer's main competitor has a horse in the VR race, of course he's going to downplay it.

It really feels like you've plucked most of what you've said out of the air. PSVR has only been out for a few weeks, has been selling well and has had predominantly positive impressions. Dead market? Microsoft themselves have revealed a cheaper PC headset this week, which also takes a lot of design cues from Sony.
The headset it's not from ms, and it's not one headset either. Ms has just licensed the tracking tech from HoloLens and are providing the windows holographic platform. The headset ate all from OEMs.

Top Bottom