• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese girl band's Nazi-esque outfits draw fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's sad that Nazis ruined the most fashionable military outfits.

Japan seems to not give a shit or know anything about WW2 in general even tho it's a part of their history.

Derwind

“We express our heartfelt apology for causing offense ... because of our lack of understanding

How in this day of age can you be so impossibly dense as to not understand why something like this could be seen as offensive, there is absolutely no excuse for this.

If this is some attempt at a bullshit excuse like cultural misunderstanding or whatever excuse European people use to pretend Blackface is an innocent gesture, then Sony can fuck right off.

Unless you come from a hidden civilization that just got discovered on an unexplored island, than you have absolutely no excuse not to educate yourself on basic human history. Especially if you're a fucking adult!

Mesoian

How in this day of age can you be so impossibly dense as to not understand why something like this could be seen as offensive, there is absolutely no excuse for this.

If this is some attempt at a bullshit excuse like cultural misunderstanding or whatever excuse European people use to pretend Blackface is an innocent gesture, then Sony can fuck right off.

Unless you come from a hidden civilization that just got discovered on an unexplored island, than you have absolutely no excuse not to educate yourself on basic human history. Especially if you're a fucking adult!

You'd be surprised how many societies out there try to sweep the dirty parts of their history under the rug.

You don't hear too many people talking openly and forwardly about the trail of tears these days.

sakipon

Easy to say this as a Westerner when German and European events are so close to us. I assume you're just as well informed on Asian and African history for example?

Siegcram

Easy to say this as a Westerner when German and European events are so close to us. I assume you're just as well informed on Asian and African history for example?
I mean it's called World War 2 for a reason. Not like Japan observed from afar.

The defense force in here is utterly ridiculous.

People in Japan know about Nazis and the Holocaust. They're just dumb about the fashion/symbolism and how offensive it is. It's sort of like how a lot of Westerners aren't knowledgeable about how offensive the Japanese imperial flag is to many people around Asia because of what they did during WW2.

The main difference is Nazi Getmany and Imperial Japan were allies during World War 2. You know that World War that took place over atleast 5 years. Ending with the US occupying Japan afterwards.

frontovik

Banned
Due to the fact that World War II was a global conflict .. and that the Empire of Japan was an ally of Nazi Germany, you'd think they'd be more aware of the implications of their costume. Their ignorance is kinda laughable.

Derwind

So Asia, specifically Japan, was absent during World War 2?

Even that aside, and your school history class failing you, but failing to educate yourself when we have information constantly bombarding us, where we are as connected as we've ever been through movies, games, news....ect, is absolutely wrong.

There is no way to excuse a collective culture not knowing what and who the Nazi's were.

Mesoian

giphy.gif

I suppose the other side of that argument is that some people are just really fucking stupid.

Izuna

Banned
Due to the fact that World War II was a global conflict .. and that the Empire of Japan was an ally of Nazi Germany, you'd think they'd be more aware of the implications of their costume. Their ignorance is kinda laughable.

Japanese people on average know dick about WW2

Derwind

The worse part is that they had enough awareness about WW2 to know to order those specific style of gear.

Of all the military gear to pick in the history warfare, they chose the most controversial one.

Odd choice...

Darksol

There's a pretty funny manga that features Hitler as a teenage boy in high school (among many historical figures).

Siegcram

Japanese people on average know dick about WW2
But that has nothing to do with it being a "western" conflict. It's the opposite in fact.
Their very involvement is the root of the ignorance of the general poulace.

Doesn't mean we should give them a pass for bullshit like this.

casiopao

As i understand it, its the Nazi aesthetic that is popular in some japan subcultures. Not so much the Nazi themselves. The Nazi's were monsters and a stain on human history..

But to be fair....

Hugo Boss made some swag ass uniforms.

Thats one cool costume.^_^

casiopao

The First Reich . . .

. . . the Second Reich . . .

. . . and the Third Reich.

I wonder if there's a pattern here.

........maybe stupid question here. But what does Reich mean? German?O_O

The reichsadler, or the Imperial Eagle is a historical heraldic symbol in Germany, but that specific design on the cap is only associated with Nazi Germany.

Ahh. No wonder. I just google the word and then google told me that the symbol had been use like forever and not only Nazi. It seems that the eagle shape is different between the period of time huh.

what do you actually know about nazi germany? the skull is the symbol of the totenkopf, used by the SS. you know, the organization responsible for millions of jewish deaths.

lol, right?

Aww c'mon. I am just taking stabs on whoever that think that adding a skull on their uniform is a good idea lol. I mean, skull in a soldier uniform and they want people to think they are the good guys?O_O

On Nazi, i know what they did. I am just saying that the costume is not the guilty one here. Just like how gun is not the guilty one but the user is.

Edit: UUps. Dopost.T_T

........maybe stupid question here. But what does Reich mean? German?O_O

Ahh. No wonder. I just google the word and then google told me that the symbol had been use like forever and not only Nazi. It seems that the eagle shape is different between the period of time huh.

Aww c'mon. I am just taking stabs on whoever that think that adding a skull on their uniform is a good idea lol. I mean, skull in a soldier uniform and they want people to think they are the good guys?O_O

On Nazi, i know what they did. I am just saying that the costume is not the guilty one here. Just like how gun is not the guilty one but the user is.

Edit: UUps. Dopost.T_T
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reich

AlexBasch

It's sad that Nazis ruined the most fashionable military outfits.
Yeah, I mean. Fuck those guys for the atrocities they did, but their uniforms, specially by the higher ups look scream "we're the stylish bad guys".

Hell, didn't Hugo Boss design those? Or maybe I'm mixing stuff up, but I do recall reading something like that.

Hugo Boss made some swag ass uniforms.
Knew it.

I don't think it's that big a deal, the Nazi uniforms did look pretty bad-ass.

PS: The iconic all black SS Uniform was not designed by Hugo Boss but by Karl Diebitsch and Walter Heck. Hugo Boss just produced them.

ASS-RFSS-TUNIC-FRONT.jpg

Yep.

Although their Riechsadler didn't have the swastika, it's pretty obvious its the Riechsadler.

A good part of the Nazi party was reviving older German traditions.

This is whooosh right over most people's heads. FFS idiot (nonAsian) people tattoo this shit on their skin. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/440860250996922343/.

That being said, you would hope that Sony would have caught it.

I suspect whoever designed the costumes for the Halloween concert were more like normal people unfamiliar with the Jaapnese imperial flag's offensiveness, or Nazi symbol offensiveness, and no one paid that much attention until it blew up. I imagine them googling "halloween costume" (given it's a western holiday), and just deciding that uniforms would be cute, not realizing the similarities between the design they picked and nazism.

Yup.

Or when GSP came out wearing this:

1297395107193_original.jpg

or Beyonce:

beyoncevideophone.jpg

or these Jordans:

0906141053a1435614e3b30f7c.jpg

But yeah, Sony should've definitely caught that shit before they put it out.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I know. I'm saying I wish I could wear one without people thinking I'm a white supremacist/nazi supporter. Because they look so cool.
Yeah I feel every time I tell people that their uniform is awesome I get that "you're a nazi now?" look.

😞

Not even to this day have any military outfit beaten their style.

What kind of WW2 history do they teach in Japan anyway?

Very little, but even then it's mostly about the pacific theatre.
How many average teens in Europe know about who was involved in the war in the pacific?

People complaining about Asians not knowing about Hitler should ask how many Western millennials could name the emperor of Japan during WW2, or pick him out of a photo lineup.

It's not a defence for his kind of thing though, he idea of Nazism is known the world over even if the details aren't... but just a counter point to people always saying Asian countries are ignorant to WW2.

Violet_0

Banned
Asia in general is not all that sensitive about Westerm history

see also the use of Hitler in Thailand as an icon for all sorts of weird shit (Hitler KFC, ect.)

Very little, but even then it's mostly about the pacific theatre.
How many average teens in Europe know about who was involved in the war in the pacific?

People complaining about Asians not knowing about Hitler should ask how many Western millennials could name the emperor of Japan during WW2, or pick him out of a photo lineup.

It's not a defence for his kind of thing though, he idea of Nazism is known the world over even if the details aren't... but just a counter point to people always saying Asian countries are ignorant to WW2.

When I was in Japan in 6th grade (around 1999), we learned about Nazis and shit. I remember covering Hitler, Nazis, concentration camps, Anne Frank, etc.

I actually still have the history textbook somewhere.

What kind of WW2 history do they teach in Japan anyway?

That Japan did nothing wrong. Hell you have manga here that populize Nazi outfits. They may have issued an apology but I bet they still dont understand why it was offensive.

Had some tell me it was made for Japanese viewership not the world.

Asia in general is not all that sensitive about Western history

see also the use of Hitler in Thailand as an icon for all sorts of weird shit (Hitler KFC, ect.)

Yeah, i think this is major reason. It's no different how a lot of Anime or JRPG's use Christianity as a mythology similar to Roman/Greek mythology.

Those are clearly pilot uniforms to me right down the the stripes on their sleeves. I think the eagle design on the hat, and perhaps the color scheme, threw people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom