• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald J. Trump elected 45th President of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machina

Banned
Can I just say as a weed smoker, I know we often went off a bit about Obama using it then becoming President so why is it illegal, but we probably shouldn't start grabbing pussies just because the President did....

Ugh.

Window

Presenting centrism as this wise, pragmatic, smart, realistic strategy, calling both sides out for vilifying each other and endorsing compromises feels the most empty and vacuous thing to say at this point. Besides false equivalence, Trump did not employ such a strategy and he won so. Identifying specific faults would be more illuminating.

Fox Mulder

People close to me voted for Trump. Everywhere I frequent on the internet was clearly for Hillary.

I didn't vote, but even still. Interesting.

I still want to know how two people hated this much made it this far? Speaks volumes for people as a whole. At least in this country.

The crazies pushed Trump past a huge field of established actual republican politicians. The DNC favored Clinton from the inside because it was her turn.

300+ million people and this is what we had.

Reckheim

Legitimate question, is there a way for the people to get a president impeached?

It didn't work when the republicans were upset that Obama got elected, what makes this situation any different?

Half of the US voted for him, you'd need a much bigger majority to even consider it (or a military coup)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So honest question from a non American

Does this election have the potential to actually be the catalyst for an official 3rd party in the U.S.?
With so many republicans distancing themselves from Trump and the general apathy to vote for Hillary from small Democrats, could a centralist party form?

Or is that just not an option in American Politics where is in Canada that seems to be fairly easy thing to do with support(Relatively speaking.)

I lost faith in democracy. Brexit first and now this.
I don't think the people are capable or deserving of democracy. They're too fucking stupid.

It doesn't matter how much you hate Hillary Clinton. That you can be so uninformed that you'd vote for this obvious con man means you don't fucking deserve to vote. It takes all of 2 minutes and 10 taps on that supercomputer in your pocket to see how bullshit this orangutan is. But nope. Proudly choose ignorance instead.

Democracy has failed because people are just too fucking stupid.

It's heart breaking.

Majine

Banned
It didn't work when the republicans were upset that Obama got elected, what makes this situation any different?

Half of the US voted for him, you'd need a much bigger majority to even consider it (or a military coup)

What about if he becomes a warcriminal?

I still want to know how two people hated this much made it this far? Speaks volumes for people as a whole. At least in this country.

it comes down to primaries

the DNC was incompetent (they failed to pick a candidate who could beat trump)

the republicans had like 11 candidates or something so the most anti-establishment candidate won the primary because people hate the system

gdt

Does this election have the potential to actually be the catalyst for an official 3rd party in the U.S.?
With so many republicans distancing themselves from Trump and the general apathy to vote for Hillary from small Democrats, could a centralist party form?

Or is that just not an option in American Politics where is in Canada that seems to be fairly easy thing to do with support(Relatively speaking.)

It's not an option. And really the Republican Party is stronger than ever. America as a whole has completely rejected liberalism last night.

I cannot even muster the energy to watch Trump give a speech as "president", my nerves can't handle it. I am getting depressed and infuriated...watching his smug face. I cannot listen to anything this guy has to say for the next 4 years and take it seriously.

Never thought in million years I'd feel this way about a US president.

Audioboxer

Kind of like emails, but somehow that stuck despite millions of taxpayer dollars being spent to prove multiple times that it wasn't an issue.

Sure, but that's my point. You were never going to beat the Trump campaign at trolling.

Bernie might have had a chance being effective at fighting Trumps corruption and scandal, but having Hillary as your main candidate to go after said things backfired spectacularly. Hence the Clinton campaign regardless of good intention just spent too much time trying to out-Trump Trump.

From the second Trump uttered Crooked Hillary, she was unable to shake it. Sadly, but as I have admitted I am not her biggest fan and I don't think many were. That has lead to Trumps campaign unfortunately fostering such resentment to Hillary, deserved or not.

That's correct.

Those on the left will need to depend on and exacerbate the deep tears within the Republicans that were created in this election to prevent their legislation.

Yes, basically. The last 8 years show you what happen when one party has enough of a presence to interfere with the other parties plans, but this next four years the GOP has pretty much free reign.

GOP doesn't have 60 votes in the Senate and they aren't going to get rid of the filibuster. That means GOP has to actually do things and govern. All the GOP has done the last few years is say "no" and "Democrats are bad!"
Now that America has given them a chance (why), expect any new laws to go under a microscope. Any law that causes more issues than solves = bad for GOP.

darkwing

GOP will flock again to Trump because he won, there is already was a 3rd party, Johnson lol

Steel

Banned
All while simultaneously taking advantage of it. Her special interest courting is what makes me not believe that. Anything else is just fantasy.

It did. So much denial...

He proof was all over the internet but for some strange reason, eyes were covered and ears plugged. So baffling to me.

Obama used Super pacs. Nominated two judges that oppose citizen's united. And if you're referring to speeches, they don't really say what you're saying they say. Regardless this is pointless now. Hillary will never again be a force in politics. Congratulations.

slit

I cannot even muster the energy to watch Trump give a speech as "president", my nerves can't handle it. I am getting depressed and infuriated...watching his smug face. I cannot listen to anything this guy has to say for the next 4 years and take it seriously.

Yeah really, never thought I'd long for the days of seeing GWB.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
God damn, I cannot believe I am still awake. I've been up all night. Can't sleep. My wife can't sleep. She was a wreck earlier, but seems to have calmed down a little. I hate seeing her like this. I powered up the PS4 to play some games, but I can't bring myself to play anything. I really need to go to sleep, but I'm not looking forward to the dreams. The sun is already coming up. Sigh. What have you done, America? What the fuck have you done?

Fuck I am so ashamed to be an American. I'm also afraid, once again, that I'm black. I fear for the minorities, women, and LGBT citizens. The fallout of this election is going to be felt for a very long time. All that progress. 8 years of progress is going to be undone. It wasn't all perfect, but things were moving forward. Slowly, but still forward. People were starting to feel proud of being an American. We had a President that conducted himself with class and dignity. Now we get Donald fucking Trump. Sigh. What have you fucking done, America? It must feel really good to be a non-minority or non-marginalized group, and be able to just brush this election off and go on about your business. I don't mean that as a criticism, I just imagine it's got to feel nice. For everyone else, this is a disaster. It feels bad. Real bad.

Fox Mulder

This should kill third parties really. It only causes one of the two real choices to lose votes.

Trump will do a passable job for everything in the short-term, while fucking everything up in the long-term. No one cares for the long-term, as is quite evident by the fact that a large portion of the American public is willing to potentially sign away the rights of people other than themselves without realizing what kind of implications that stuff has, so people's coin will drop in hindsight instead of when it should have: Before this dunce got elected. Nothing will change.

At any rate, I'm kind of staying hopeful in the knowledge that the progression of these kinds of social issues tend to work like a pendulum, but that progress will be made regardless, in the long-term. We're just on a back-swing right now, so let's do our best to make sure this idiot doesn't break the fucking clock.

just woke. only had about 3 hours of sleep

i'm still in dismay

the feeling of waking from a fuckin nightmare.

I'm not the most well versed in politics, so maybe someone can enlighten. My biggest worry here is that checks & balance stuff. Is this country really changing direction at a snap of the finger just like that...Since the Republicans taking 2 and likely the third branch? or is there still a big form of power within local/state governments?

RPGCrazied

Yeah. Its time for an all media black out and no reading newspapers. I can't handle this shit. I'll just stay oblivious for 4 years.

gdt

just woke. only had about 3 hours of sleep

i'm still in dismay

the feeling of waking from a fuckin nightmare.

I'm not the most well versed in politics, so maybe someone can enlighten. My biggest worry here is that checks & balance stuff. Is this country really changing direction at a snap of the finger just like that...Since the Republicans taking 2 and likely the third branch? or is there still a big form of power within local/state governments?

It's bad

And local governments are mostly republicans lol

We are in a bad situation. A lot of progress from the last 8 years is about to go down the drain.

Zakalwe

Banned
Wishful thinking, or more bluntly put Americans putting too much belief in shit political candidates spout whilst running for election.

At this point it has literally become a gotcha popularity contest, and Trump proved saying outrageous shit which will probably never see the light of day captured news headlines and peoples attention. This isn't suppose to be how politics are won/fought, but welcome to 2016 memeland and social media nonsense.

Oh, he won't even begin to be able to deliver on the promises he made (mostly), that's not what I meant.

Trump winning is very likely to inspire other outsiders to run, or change the way political hopefuls approach the podium.

It has also made many aware of the importance of voting. Again, Brexit happened in large because an incredible amount of people din't vote. I had a friend who was staunchly opposed to Leave, yet he sat at home on the days leading to the vote without registering with the mindset that "whatever, we're obviously going to win."

Also, if Trump truly makes a mess of his tenure perhaps people will look at the idea of a protest vote itself and realise the risk isn't worth it.

The point is that this will change how races are run and how people engage.

This feels horrible right now, but there is a chance it's exactly what was needed to get people aware.

Andodalf

Banned
I thought this would be early last night, It going so late killed my chance to study for my test. Now I am super tired and unprepared. dang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom