• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

FFXV demo has pro mode apparently.

f0a2a8eb454715eeeaafa1f922935916.png

Man they really got a lot of use out of the one grass sprite they made...

Okay, here's another annoying thing. I hate how they moved the status light from the top of the console to the front and made it this big long line. When the lights are dim, it looks like this huge long light. Is there any way to disable it?

Any kettle plug cable will do. If you dont already have any spare, you can get them super cheap from loads of places. They will all tend to be on the thicker side.

I found a PC cable that was just long enough. I hope the ground being plugged in isn't a big deal.

[Asmodean]

[Asmodean];224044299 said:
I completed removed the banding on my PS4 by changing my hdmi input to PC.

Obviously this needs more testing. But it's quite interesting that the banding was completely resolved by changing this.

For anyone else who actually notices banding can do the same and check?

quoting myself from another thread, for anyone interested.

Did anyone with a 4K OLED have any issues getting a picture of was it just plug and play? I'm wondering if my system is defective. getting a black screen with sound and if I look at the signal infor it says 2160p.

Do you have a B6? There's a thread floating around about that issue.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I love how snappy & more responsive the OS is with the SSD.
Ratchet looks freaking amazing; I'm playing a freaking Pixar film it feels like. I said god damn.

Now I really really want a 4K OLED. Next year, hurry the fuck up.

Drewfonse

Tomb Raider on Pro feels like a generation ahead of the XB1 version. Stunning.

It really is.

And both Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2 are rocking my world on the Pro, so good.

I got IW on the cheap on its way, and FFXV in a few weeks. Having to restrain myself from rebuying Ratchet.

Overloaded and loving it.

ckohler

Friend and I just spent a couple of hours playing around with the Pro.

inFAMOUS: Second Son
  • You can switch between 4k or 1080p, HDR or Non-HDR, and locked 30fps or Unlocked frame rate
  • You can change these settings at any time during gameplay using the settings menu
  • The only way I can describe 4K mode is that distant objects and textures look significantly sharper and more in focus than in 1080p mode. There's also less aliasing.
  • HDR mode definately increases the amount of detail in the sky, especially around the sun. You can simply see more. However, on my Sony 850C it also tends to look a bit desaturated. So, I'm not sure if I prefer more detail in the skybox or more vivid colors without HDR.
PlayStation VR Worlds
  • Main Menu hall and London Heist looked quite a bit clearer and sharper. Things just look more in focus. It's not "blow me away" better but it's noticable how much more defined and less jaggy distant objects are.
  • It might have been our imaginations but everything seemed a bit brighter, also.
  • Loading times are clearly reduced

Quick question, I had thought my tv didn't support HDR but when I went into the display checker thing my Pro has it says "2k/4k Supported" by HDR. Does that mean it does support HDR or would it just say something else?

It's a Samsung JU6700 if that helps any.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Is the Pro just hard to find right now or something? I went into a Walmart (only because I had gift cards) after work, and not only did they not know what it was, or how to look it up in their system, when I finally just told them to check their own website for the SKU they said they couldn't tell how many were in stock at any other locations.

ckohler

Quick question, I had thought my tv didn't support HDR but when I went into the display checker thing my Pro has it says "2k/4k Supported" by HDR. Does that mean it does support HDR or would it just say something else?

It's a Samsung JU6700 if that helps any.

Your TV does support HDR. Specifically, it supports HDR10. I'm not sure how well it supports it (brightness, color, etc.) but it's compatible.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6700

Ellite25

So my Pro says my KS8000 doesn't support HDR. This. LGBT have been covered already, but how do I fix this? Also says 2160p - RGB is unsupported as well, which I'm not even sure what that is. Help please!

j-wood

So I just bought mine and I'm doing the transfer.

One thing I'm confused on, do I need to be setting games to 4K, even if my tv is only 1080p?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Yopis

So my Pro says my KS8000 doesn't support HDR. This. LGBT have been covered already, but how do I fix this? Also says 2160p - RGB is unsupported as well, which I'm not even sure what that is. Help please!

Turn on Uhd color setting for input you have pro on.

Aces&Eights

Skyrim looks noticeably better (1080p).

Don't know. I didn't have that trouble with mine, although I did notice some of my thumb drives were a little touchier than others, when I was initially loading my PS4 saves on to one. Have you tried all the 3 different USB ports? Maybe one of them is messed up but the others work? Have you tried other flash drives to see if they activate in that port (or another)?

Tried both on front and the one in the back. Dang. Whelp, i can go off my Plus saves but they are not as current as what i saved to flashdrive the day i traded in my old unit as plus had expired a week before.

JohngPR

Logged in on both. On my name on both. No reason why it shouldn't work. It's infuriating. I've hard rebooted the consoles, my router, everything.

Oh god, someone HAS TO know what I'm doing wrong.

Have you tried being signed in only on the new PS4 Sorry if you've already tried this, just trying to help. :)

Do you have the HDMI UHD Color turned on it whatever they call it? Have to turn that on per HDMI connection for HDR to work.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I watched a video about how to transfer and the something-like "Transfer to another PS4" menu item that they used isn't in the System menu on my PS4 Pro. The consoles are both running and networked.
EDIT: Maybe it's part of this system update that just showed up?
EDIT. Yes, it is. What a load of BS. They just figured out that people would be replacing PS4s with Pros?

ckohler

Tips for anyone trying to get HDR working on a TV they know to support HDR:

1. Is your Pro plugged directly into the TV via HDMI?
If so, check to see if your TV has a setting for "Enhanced HDMI" or "UHD Color" for the port your plugged into and that it's enabled. It may be set to "Standard" mode for compatibility.

2. Is your Pro plugged into the PSVR box via HDMI?
The PSVR box can not pass through HDR to your TV. You'll loose HDR and 2160p - RGB when plugged into the box. If you want to use HDR, you'll have to plug the HDMI directly into your TV and bypass the VR box when not using it (yeah, sucks).

3. Is your Pro plugged into a receiver via HDMI?
Your receiver may not support the full HDMI 2.2 spec and thus not support HDR.

I love how snappy & more responsive the OS is with the SSD.
Ratchet looks freaking amazing; I'm playing a freaking Pixar film it feels like. I said god damn.

Now I really really want a 4K OLED. Next year, hurry the fuck up.

Seriously, it's wild how clean Ratchet looks on the Pro. I play on a monitor at my desk, so I'm basically right up at the screen and the improvements in IQ to Ratchet and Titanfall 2 are very noticeable to me. So happy I upgraded!

Ellite25

1. Is your Pro plugged directly into the TV via HDMI?
If so, check to see if your TV has a setting for "Enhanced HDMI" for the port your plugged into and that it's enabled. It may be set to "Standard HDMI" mode for compatibility.

2. Is your Pro plugged into the PSVR box via HDMI?
The PSVR box can not pass through HDR to your TV. You'll loose HDR and 2160p - RGB when plugged into the box. If you want to use HDR, you'll have to plug the HDMI directly into your TV and bypass the VR box when not using it (yeah, sucks).

3. Is your Pro plugged into a receiver via HDMI?
Your receiver may not support the full HDMI 2.2 spec and thus not support HDR.
I already solved the problem but I wanted to quote you and let you know I really appreciate the effort you put in here! Thank you!

Is there a way to force downsampling in Tomb Raider? It looks lovely at 4K on my LG B6 but when I switch to one of the 1080p modes it introduces a ton of aliasing and shimmering not present at 4K. I thought it would downsample the image...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Been testing things all day and haven't even played anything. For some crazy reason I love the game within the game. :p

I will say, using HDR on the Pro definitely looks better than on a base PS4. I had crushed blacks like you wouldn't believe on my OG PS4, so much so that I set the in game brightness all the way up and it was still crushing blacks. Glad to see that wasn't the case here. Looks great now that I settled on YUV420, which got rid of the color banding for the most part....and it looks great in 4k, such a very clean image:

Finally, we can make our games look like bullshots!
Fetch was such a realistic design. A regular, attractive person that didn't reach too far into model territory.

I watched a video about how to transfer and the something-like "Transfer to another PS4" menu item that they used isn't in the System menu on my PS4 Pro. The consoles are both running and networked.
EDIT: Maybe it's part of this system update that just showed up?
Crap I had this problem a couple of hours ago but forget what fixed it. Was tinkering with so many things. I think I wasn't logged in on the pro so needed to sign in and do the system update.

leng jai

Is there a way to force downsampling in Tomb Raider? It looks lovely at 4K on my LG B6 but when I switch to one of the 1080p modes it introduces a ton of aliasing and shimmering not present at 4K. I thought it would downsample the image...

4K is the downsampling mode. 1080p mode literally runs in that resolution at 60fps with extra graphical effects from the PC version enabled.

Humdinger

Posted by Abdiel in the sales thread, thought it was worth cross-posting here.

Today was pretty great for the Pro. Sony sent us excellent shipments across all of my district, with more than enough for all each store's preorders, and then plenty of extra stock. We also had consistent interest throughout the day as people were coming in with active questions and regular purchasers. Almost all preorders were picked up at my home store before the end of the day.

I can't give actual numbers, but it definitely exceeded my initial expectations for the system. Very, very positive initial reception, with excellent momentum to build off of.

Ellite25

I just got everything set up and played MW:R for the first time and damn the crispness of the game is immediately noticeable. Off to try some other games now.

Top Bottom