• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socivol

Are we sure this is just frame pacing? I thought the lite-mode had better frame pacing than base, only the high-mode had really bad pacing. Maybe it's just this scene that's this bad on Lite?

Not sure if i want to buy a Pro or Slim now... but I want to play on day 1.

i can confirm it. Playing now on the Pro and it is worse than the Judgement demo.

brad-t

You... want every continent in a game world to be part of the story, but it's not going to be modeled?

He just doesn't think there should be parts of the world in the game that clearly "exist" (e.g. are referenced by others, exist on the map) but that you can't get a taste of at all.

That Amazon steelbook special edition is looking great <3

1480020154-1.jpg

1480020155-a7f589acb57976eb410710c09bc30a3820161124135404.jpg
Ugh. This is the best cover of the game.

Legit no lie, that Pro video killed my hype for the game.

Shits unacceptable. I could even handle Judgment Demo lite mode? But that stutter is insane.

theofficefan99

It's just annoying how this patch sounds like, with everything included, it'll significantly improve the game. I'm just worried that reviewers won't keep that in mind, and that it'll score lower than it deserves, or that reviewers will spread outdated information. I've never hyped up a game that's open-world or has had a significant Day 1 patch before so I'm a little nervous. IMO SE was dumb to not delay it a little more so reviewers could experience these giant improvements.

Gbraga

It's just annoying how this patch sounds like, with everything included, it'll significantly improve the game. I'm just worried that reviewers won't keep that in mind, and that it'll score lower than it deserves, or that reviewers will spread outdated information. I've never hyped up a game that's open-world or has had a significant Day 1 patch before so I'm a little nervous.

But they're right to do that, if the difference is that big. They have to review the version they have, not the one that's promised.

That said, most of the improvements from the Crown patch are already available.

Krammy

I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order, so I'd like some spoiler impressions on this question.

What kind of non-landscape terrain can you fight normal enemies in? Most of what I've seen has been boring rocky forest landscapes. I want more interesting stuff like the sewers we saw in the Judgement Demo, or something cool like fighting in the streets of a city. Most of the interesting environments seem to be story specific and therefore you can't go back to them at will.

You... want every continent in a game world to be part of the story, but it's not going to be modeled?

I don't want them to actually build a massive to scale world. What I want is to know every single country, what people of that country typically wear, what sort of basic culture they have... Like,

This is hard to explain, and I don't understand why. Basically, there should be nothing major in a JRPG world that I didn't see. It's perfectly fine to just have a little port town from some northern continent that isn't a part of the main story, that is like 1 street, 2 shops, one pub, but it's a microcosm of that entire continent. by visting this small place through a loading screen from some other harbor on the main continent, I know that there is this northern continent, people generally dress in such and such here and their architecture is sort of like this.

Basically,as stated, I wnat to see every single Race and culture in that world, even if it's just a small little disney ride-esque diorama of it, instead of an entire explorable continent.

Ran rp

It's just annoying how this patch sounds like, with everything included, it'll significantly improve the game. I'm just worried that reviewers won't keep that in mind, and that it'll score lower than it deserves, or that reviewers will spread outdated information.

This plus them not sending out many review copies. I don't get it.

sappyday

I just died inside.
It's not a mess and it's not that easy. The biggest detractor is the camera. But once you get the hang of it can be really fun. It isn't the deepest combat system out there and it's not up there with Devil May Cry/Bayonetta. But for an open world game of this size it's only second behind Dragons Dogma for me, but at least in FFXV you're fighting a lot more interesting monsters.

theofficefan99

But they're right to do that, if the difference is that big. They have to review the version they have, not the one that's promised.

That said, most of the improvements from the Crown patch are already available.

Well from what people are saying, the environmental music change isn't in, warping outside of battle isn't in (this seems pretty huge IMO...), the Omen-inspired moves don't seem to be in, and I'm not sure what else. The scenario/town structure thing seems interesting?

~Cross~

It's not a mess and it's not that easy. The biggest detractor is the camera. But once you get the hang of it can be really fun. It isn't the deepest combat system out there and it's not up there with Devil May Cry/Bayonetta. But for an open world game of this size it's only second behind Dragons Dogma for me, but at least in FFXV you're fighting a lot more interesting monsters.

I think more than enough people have said that the combat is quite good. If anyone honestly thinks its press O to win they must be playing on easy and over leveling everything.

Baleoce

You decided to look at these old impressions, lol. It is not just hold O to win, trust me. Read the impressions from other GAF members :)

I think more than enough people have said that the combat is quite good. If anyone honestly thinks its press O to win they must be playing on easy and over leveling everything.

If that's true, and there is a level of complexity and thought you have to put into combat then all is fine. It's the thing you do for the majority of the game so it's pretty damn important.

sappyday

Even when you're over level it takes a while to kill things. I was like lvl 24 doing a lvl 19 hunt and i almost got my ass handed to.

wmlk

I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order, so I'd like some spoiler impressions on this question.

What kind of non-landscape terrain can you fight normal enemies in? Most of what I've seen has been boring rocky forest landscapes. I want more interesting stuff like the sewers we saw in the Judgement Demo, or something cool like fighting in the streets of a city. Most of the interesting environments seem to be story specific and therefore you can't go back to them at will.

Hunts will take you to different places. Altissia at the very least has hunts in non-wilderness areas.

I don't think anyone's gotten that far yet to comment on that.

https://youtu.be/QXBXsBCthC4?t=1m12s

Tyaren

Did no one here play it on Pro? Is it really that bad? The video by the way only shows the LQ Pro mode stuttering, maybe the HQ Pro mode is just fine. And the HQ mode is one actually needs... ;)

Mike

Guys, I hate to be a Debbie Downer. But I have to be. I finished Chapter 4 and this game is just doing nothing for me.

I am a pretty huge fan of Final Fantasy. Played thru 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14. Didn't finish part 13.

But this game just doesn't have an ounce of charm. The characterization is almost non-existent, beyond your most basic modern-day anime archetypes.

Maybe it gets better, but I have done a ton of side-quests and put about 10 hours into the game. It really lacks any fun-factor. Maybe it's just a less-compelling universe than the other installments? I don't know.

Damn even if I got spoiled for what I think to be one major twist, even if the impressions are all over the place, even if I ignored the game for years since it went radio silent before the Versus XIII to XV change, even if there are issues with the game...

I'm getting caught up by the hype. It's been too long since I played a FF game, and I remember them being special events (I have fond memories of the FF VIII, IX and X launch. Hell even if XII is my least favourite of them, the expectation and hype was through the roof) and I kind of crave that. I was burnt by FFXIII I played from launch, but if the game is just better than that, I'll play it.

Plus, French dubs. It'll be hilarious.

You disgust me for charging 70€ and I disgust myself that I probably will pay it.
Mayyyybe I'd have payed 70€ last saturday. But now with the launch being in 4 days, no way José.

That Amazon steelbook special edition is looking great <3

1480020154-1.jpg

1480020155-a7f589acb57976eb410710c09bc30a3820161124135404.jpg

How did you get the Amazon steelbook that early ? It's gorgeous.

Did no one here play it on Pro? Is it really that bad? The video by the way only shows the LQ Pro mode stuttering, maybe the HQ Pro mode is just fine. And the HQ mode is one actually needs... ;)

I've played on Pro and its super variable at times. It's not constantly like that as far as I can tell.

HMD

It's incredibly easy, I'm on the very last chapter and I have yet to see the Game Over screen, dying is only possible if you're not trying. There are a million different ways you can escape death in this game.

Just ran into a hilarious but immersion-breaking glitch in a cutscene where enemies kept trying to attack us during our conversation lol

It's fine. About 11 hours in now and it's never been a detriment to gameplay.

Tyaren

I've played on Pro and its super variable at times. It's not constantly like that as far as I can tell.

So is it bearable? Did you by chance play the Judgment demo on Pro too and can compare it? People were complaining about framepacing there too and I thought it was perfectly fine and hardly noticed anything.

It's fine. About 11 hours in now and it's never been a detriment to gameplay.

Ah, thanks! So it's mostly just overblown drama as usual. ;)

It's incredibly easy, I'm on the very last chapter and I have yet to see the Game Over screen, dying is only possible if you're not trying. There are a million different ways you can escape death in this game.

Many people on here say Dark Souls is incredibly easy ("Git Gud...") so that doesn't really tell people reading much.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't want them to actually build a massive to scale world. What I want is to know every single country, what people of that country typically wear, what sort of basic culture they have... Like,

This is hard to explain, and I don't understand why. Basically, there should be nothing major in a JRPG world that I didn't see. It's perfectly fine to just have a little port town from some northern continent that isn't a part of the main story, that is like 1 street, 2 shops, one pub, but it's a microcosm of that entire continent. by visting this small place through a loading screen from some other harbor on the main continent, I know that there is this northern continent, people generally dress in such and such here and their architecture is sort of like this.

Basically,as stated, I wnat to see every single Race and culture in that world, even if it's just a small little disney ride-esque diorama of it, instead of an entire explorable continent.

Oh right, so basically backstory. My bad.

I'm actually going to hold off on buying the game until I get a clearer picture on how it runs on Pro.

I'm super hyped for it. But TLG is 6 days later. I'm not about to go into something that's even worse then the Judgment Demo. I like you FFXV, but I don't Bloodborne like you.

Mike

I'm actually going to hold off on buying the game until I get a clearer picture on how it runs on Pro.

I'm super hyped for it. But TLG is 6 days later. I'm not about to go into something that's even worse then the Judgment Demo. I like you FFXV, but I don't Bloodborne like you.

Your fun with this game (if you have any) won't be related to framerate.

CGwizz

Dude, we have one video showing the tutorial , the video don't even show him prove that is indeed lite mode on pro, don't you want to wait for a credible source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom