• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it bearable? Did you by chance play the Judgment demo on Pro too and can compare it? People were complaining about framepacing there too and I thought it was perfectly fine and hardly noticed anything.

Ah, thanks! So it's mostly just overblown drama as usual. ;)

I can't tell cause I didn't play judgement but honestly it's slightly annoying at times at worst for me.

Tyaren

Dude, we have one video showing the tutorial , the video don't even show him prove that is indeed lite mode on pro, don't you want to wait for a credible source?

This.

Also it might just be the tutorial that is affected and it might just be the LQ version that is affected (for some reason). They strangely didn't show the HQ mode.

Ran rp

If the December patch holds at 60fps most of the time it's going to be a spiritual experience. I truly believe that.

Not expecting it but let's hope!

Sylas

Guys, I hate to be a Debbie Downer. But I have to be. I finished Chapter 4 and this game is just doing nothing for me.

I am a pretty huge fan of Final Fantasy. Played thru 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14. Didn't finish part 13.

But this game just doesn't have an ounce of charm. The characterization is almost non-existent, beyond your most basic modern-day anime archetypes.

Maybe it gets better, but I have done a ton of side-quests and put about 10 hours into the game. It really lacks any fun-factor. Maybe it's just a less-compelling universe than the other installments? I don't know.

Man... I dunno what to tell you if you think that cast of XV are basic anime archetypes and the cast of all the games you listed above aren't. Most of XV's characterization comes from dialogue that triggers after resting or otherwise. Cutscenes seem to be much less of a focus--which I personally very much enjoy. It's pretty fair to say you don't think the game has any charm but I really, really enjoy the back-and-forth between the bros.

Man... I dunno what to tell you if you think that cast of XV are basic anime archetypes and the cast of all the games you listed above aren't.

People have different feelings on the game. I've played every FF game and this is such a blast for me so far in ways the other games never touched. It won't feel that way for everyone I'm sure.

Tyaren

I'm not a expert at visuals but I feel the increased details overall in pro mode are nice. Plus hdr... woo boy.

Hey, can you maybe do one or two comparison screenshots? :) One in the middle of the grass land with a nice view on trees in the backgound in LQ and HQ mode? :)
Similar to this:
PS4 Pro LQ:
30802137222_68d55eb656_o.png

PS4 Pro HQ:
(These are from the demo)

benzy

I'm actually going to hold off on buying the game until I get a clearer picture on how it runs on Pro.

I'm super hyped for it. But TLG is 6 days later. I'm not about to go into something that's even worse then the Judgment Demo. I like you FFXV, but I don't Bloodborne like you.

I have a feeling TGL will have notable frame rate dips.

CrisKre

Been playing this now for 6 hrs.

Now, I'm not a huge FF fan. I loved 6, hatred XIII, and generally haven't been a fan of the latest outings.

XV so far has been great fun. It's generally well designed, the presentation is phenomenal, and has pretty good pacing.

Is got some flaws (some segments are a bit boring, the driving is not too exciting, the combat is a bit simplistic and the gameplay not terribly deep, and the story so far is a bit meh), but all in all is MILES better than XIII and i am looking forward to dive deeper into the game and its world.

I will also say that for as much as the presentation is top notch and the wiring is pretty good I wish the game was more rooted in fantasy and didn't have so many realistic elements. Just personal preference, since those can be a little corny for me.

I'm just glad it's a good game and somewhat a return to shape for the series.

Toth

Well, do we know if there are more Kingsglaive scenes in the Crown Update vs the patch i have now? I'm contemplating not continuing with the story if I dont have all of the story updates yet...

Since I always play the FF main games again after I beat them (to do more side quests and post game content), it would be cool to see new scenes.

Also,

Is it just me or does Prompto take a TON of Gladius pictures lol

Doesn't it suck when people that don't care about the game much get the early copy? It's always someone who has even followed th3 game all that much and when you ask the important questions they have no clue what your on?

Sylas

People have different feelings on the game. I've played every FF game and this is such a blast for me so far in ways the other games never touched. It won't feel that way for everyone I'm sure.

For sure! I'm just saying that the cast of every FF game have been basic anime tropes through and through.

Since I always play the FF main games again after I beat them (to do more side quests and post game content), it would be cool to see new scenes.

Also,

Is it just me or does Prompto take a TON of Gladius pictures
lol
:3 I think you mean Daddius/Daddio.

CrisKre

Also,

Gladius the hottest bro. I ain't even mad.

Also,

In JD, I thought he was taking more pictures of Ignis than any other bros lool

Hey, can you maybe do one or two comparison screenshots? :) One in the middle of the grass land with a nice view on trees in the backgound in LQ and HQ mode? :)
Similar to this:
PS4 Pro LQ:
30802137222_68d55eb656_o.png

PS4 Pro HQ:
30882351536_1a63445c52_o.png

Huh, why don't the images show up? o_O

My daughter is using the pro right now while I play on the standard but if I can later I will.

Toth

Similar to this:
PS4 Pro LQ:

PS4 Pro HQ:

My PS4 Pro HQ game does not look like that good on my 1080p TV ; ; Did I forget to switch something on?

Heh. I've never done an MMO, but I played KOTOR on an Xbox 360. That led to similar results (and much reloading).

Heh, yeah. There was a combo of moves i had to stop doing in corridors and rooms as it would tank the fps and get a sound glitch... Nooooo, please don't crash! :) Can't remember what they are but i remember the creeping dread until it either crashed or sorted itself out. Wait, that was on my OG XBox not 360, i still love that game.

Toth

Wait until you start fishing and such. Just a heads up don't try to do all the hunts just do a few and keep moving.

Oh yeah, trying to do hunts at the recommended level is not a smart idea. I usually try one one level higher. Those mesmirs and their daddies were mean.

edit: Hunts really help more for money than exp.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
For sure! I'm just saying that the cast of every FF game have been basic anime tropes through and through.
The stuff people come up with lul.... it's like FFXV is rewriting history itself. What is next? FF never been about story? Oh wait that actually happened.

Oh yeah, trying to do hunts at the recommended level is not a smart idea. I usually try one one level higher. Those mesmirs and their daddies were mean.

edit: Hunts really help more for money than exp.
Go for food buffs. Infact they are a must if you are under leveled for the hunts.

theofficefan99

It's incredibly easy, I'm on the very last chapter and I have yet to see the Game Over screen, dying is only possible if you're not trying. There are a million different ways you can escape death in this game.

Wow that was quick. Did you tackle any of the optional stuff? Also, non-spoilery impressions after you're done with the last chapter?

Love moments like this one. Truly a fantasy based on reality :D

P4KE6aa.gif

P.S I cropped the GIF since the mission text was for main mission. Didn't notice it at first.

Gbraga

I'm actually going to hold off on buying the game until I get a clearer picture on how it runs on Pro.

I'm super hyped for it. But TLG is 6 days later. I'm not about to go into something that's even worse then the Judgment Demo. I like you FFXV, but I don't Bloodborne like you.

The test says it was done on Lite mode. The number one cause of framepacing issues on PC are shitty framerate locks. Maybe it's better on High mode, and it's just a shitty 30fps lock on Lite mode until the 60fps patch is ready?

Mike

Man... I dunno what to tell you if you think that cast of XV are basic anime archetypes and the cast of all the games you listed above aren't. Most of XV's characterization comes from dialogue that triggers after resting or otherwise. Cutscenes seem to be much less of a focus--which I personally very much enjoy. It's pretty fair to say you don't think the game has any charm but I really, really enjoy the back-and-forth between the bros.

Maybe part of the reason is the earlier games weren't so heavy with soundbites (less voice-acting, if any) and so in XV, the cliches are more in-your-face. Or, uh, in your ears I guess. In earlier games you sorta got to use some imagination, since the style was more representational.

But yeah, I'm just not getting the charm of this one. I don't find Noctis compelling at all. I know that he likes cats. I know that he is reserved and usually just murmurs when someone else is excited about something. I know that he was moderately upset when his dad died.

But um... that's it. He's a bit of a non-entity. In earlier games, Cloud and Squall at least made you want to find out their past. But in this game (and especially if you haven't seen the anime) really gives you almost ZERO reason to find him likable.

The test says to be done on Lite mode. The number one cause of framepacing issues on PC are shitty framerate locks. Maybe it's better on High mode, and it's just a shitty 30fps lock on Lite mode until the 60fps patch is ready?

I hope so. I want the game day one. I can handle the Judgment Demo. But any worse then that will negatively impact the combat which is what I'm looking forward to most.

Are there a lot of towns to explore? Probably my favorite thing about the series is exploring the towns and hoping to upgrade my weapons.

zkorejo

4 hours in.. I dont understand if I like the combat or not. Sometimes its really satisfying and cool but sometimes it feels like too much is happening at once. I wish the parry was not mixed with dodge as a combo. I keep getting A+ at offense but C or D at Defense and stealth.

The world is absolutely beautiful. Soundtrack is good. Cant comment on the story as I am not that far in.

The only complain is, not being able to properly drive the car and take it offroad. Walking is fun but takes too much time.

The game doesn't save itself during side-missions. Lost alot of progress because I ended up doing a treasure hunt after a few sidequests and that particular treasure hunt was not meant to be played at such a low level and I got my ass handed to me. The dungeon however, was amazing.

Fuckin Deamons wont let me travel anywhere at night.

EDIT: I really liked the fishing minigame. Never thought I would like it.

Sylas

Maybe part of the reason is the earlier games weren't so heavy with soundbites (less voice-acting, if any) and so in XV, the cliches are more in-your-face. Or, uh, in your ears I guess. In earlier games you sorta got to use some imagination, since the style was more representational.

But yeah, I'm just not getting the charm of this one. I don't find Noctis compelling at all. I know that he likes cats. I know that he is reserved and usually just murmurs when someone else is excited about something. I know that he was moderately upset when his dad died.

But um... that's it. He's a bit of a non-entity. In earlier games, Cloud and Squall at least made you want to find out their past. But in this game (and especially if you haven't seen the anime) really gives you almost ZERO reason to find him likable.

That's fair and I can agree on the VA bit--it's why I think FFX aged horrendously. I can't listen to the stilted performance from 2001.

Otherwise I like Noct, if only because I (somehow) have managed to trigger a bunch of dialogue between him and the other party members that play him up as kind of a soft spoken, sensitive kid who's being dragged around with his buddies. Admittedly, they could have done a much better job fleshing him out without optional dialogue coming up.

As far as more general impressions go: I'm about 7 hours in and just about to head into Duscae. Did almost all of the sidequests I could find because my roommate is demanding all story-related things are done TOGETHER. I'm really digging the combat--when you're having trouble, change your focus towards customizing your Elemancy and your party member's link attacks. Regroup is fucking incredible and DOOMHAMMER does a great job of knocking stuff over. Also get friendly with your consumables. You're gonna use a ton of'em.

YMMV!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom