• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some guy leaked FFXV's story six months ago | up: newer 4chan stuff as of Dec 9th

Zolo

Typically from my experience on game forums the opposite happens. Lots of knee-jerk reactions early on and then views soften up over time. Same happened with previous FFs too. (VII, X, and XII being prime examples)

But who knows. Guess we will see in time.

It can vary. Dragon Age: Inquisition's probably one of the most notable examples of a negative turn around a few months after launch.

Zafir

But it is, it's just not a mandatory cutscene.

The story of Bahamut and the Oracle is in the Cosmogony book at Wiz Chocobo Post.

Her holding the ring is explicitly shown in a cutscene, walking away from Insomnia and meeting Gentiana.

The part about summons said to slumber gathering power to fight the Starscourge is in one of the paintings in the tutorial.

But of course, feel free to use it. I don't want any credit, though, it's in the game, it's not my fanfic :p

Credit goes to the game's writer, Saori Itamuro.

Easily my GOTY so far. Still didn't play The Last Guardian, though, I'm saving it for christmas.
I mean shoving important plot points in easy missed books, is not really the way to go with story telling. Same with shoving information into random NPC dialogue or the radio bites.

Especially after the reception of XIII, where people slated it because they felt like they needed to read the datalog to understand the story, and those weren't miss-able.

Pygrus

It can vary. Dragon Age: Inquisition's probably one of the most notable examples of a negative turn around a few months after launch.

The thing about FFXV though, is that they (seem) like they are going to actively try to fix the main issues with the game.

Good on square for actually knowing that there are things that need explaining and fleshing out.

I mean shoving important plot points in easy missed books, is not really the way to go with story telling. Same with shoving information into random NPC dialogue or the radio bites.

Especially after the reception of XIII, where people slated it because they felt like they needed to read the datalog to understand the story, and those weren't miss-able.
The problem with XIII that despite the wealth of reading it required, did the story make any sense? I don't think it did. Then the sequels were released and they only muddied the plot further.

Pygrus

How do you feel about how the Souls games tell their story?

Gbraga

I disagree, I'm sorry. It makes the world more alive and rewarding to explore. Story and unique content are the best rewards for exploration, imo, and they nailed it with the lore, miniquests and optional dungeons.

I totally understand why it's not something people would expect out of Final Fantasy. I myself was quite surprised at this, but I enjoy that type of storytelling a lot.

Bloodborne is my favorite story this gen, by far, not even a competition. And it's much harder to understand.

I also think a lot of people just got used to knowing things about Nier, but don't quite remember how they got to know them, so if Automata keeps a similar approach to storytelling, we'll have some similar complaints too. The thing is that the character drama was also very good in Nier, imo, but I'm still expecting to read quite a few "how the hell was I supposed to know that?" when it comes to deeper discussion of Automata's story and the state of that world.

EDIT: I wouldn't be a fan if they were longer books too, I should clarify. I stopped reading Witcher 3 books very early on, but the texts here are very succint and relevant to the actual game, instead of just flavor lore on a much larger world that is irrelevant to the story.

The problem with XIII that despite the wealth of reading it required, did the story make any sense? I don't think it did. Then the sequels were released and they only muddied the plot further.

I think it did, and I didn't read shit there either. It wasn't good, but I was able to follow it.

At least at the time, not sure how much I can remember now. And the sequel was awful, even though I think XIII is a great game.

Still didn't play Lightning Returns, but I plan to, heard great things about its combat system.

I think it did, and I didn't read shit there either. It wasn't good, but I was able to follow it.

At least at the time, not sure how much I can remember now. And the sequel was awful, even though I think XIII is a great game.

Still didn't play Lightning Returns, but I plan to, heard great things about its combat system.
I won't lie, I don't mind playing through the trilogy again.

I have only played XIII and XIII-2 and thought they were okay, enjoyable in their own right. I didn't finish Lightning Returns but heard great thing about its combat.

Hopefully the rumor about the trilogy on PS4 is true so we get a chance to replay them with some improvements like fast forward for the battle and 60 fps. I would also love to have the option to skip a lot of the jank, by which I mean cutscenes.

I dunno, FF games used to do that all the time even in the classic older entries.

Ran rp

I would say a KHI animation but Disney have their own talent to do it, especially with their output the last few years as far as movies go. I'm still holding on hope there will be a feature length movie one of these days.

It'd be interesting to see self-contained animated work separate from their game properties. A short film compilation by each of their directors would be cool.

KupoNut

I'd love it if Tabata just came out and said that they had to rush it, and will be improving it with updates, instead of " The great reception we have received has actually allowed us to expand our plans even further." in Square Enix's blog post.

Berordn

I dunno, FF games used to do that all the time even in the classic older entries.

Some side information explaining characters backstories or motivations maybe, but I can't think of any situations where you were missing a big chunk of direct plot outside of the main story scenes in FFIV - IX.

They were but they canned it.

KH doesn't need a movie, the story is already shit across 8 games do we need a shit story told in 1.30.

I'm not opposed to a streamlined, simplified, less scattered story. Or even different but based on, just like all their Princess movies.

Leaker comments on this a bit:

In my opinion, the only problem with the development process is that we didn't have time and sometimes we spent development time creating stuff that wasn't part of the actual game just for promotional material. I understand that it needs to be done for the PR team.

That and bits and pieces of content getting removed doesn't help.

Something that should probably be assumed regardless of how you feel about the leak overall. This team released two demos, on top of everything else. It's often an absurd amount of work to get one demo working, much less two.

Lot of time and money goes into those, and for a game that probably didn't need the promotional help of two demos.

Zoe

I guess i'll ask you too.

Do you like the way bloodborne or darksouls tells their story? Because, FFXV tells it story details similarly.

People seem to love the souls style of story telling.

What makes you think there's a crossover between the two fandoms?

Pygrus

What makes you think there's a crossover between the two fandoms?

I'm a fan of Soulsborne games and a fan of FF. I can't think of a friend or coworker of mine who doesn't like FF and soulsborne games. By this I mean, if they like one, they like the other. I would say there is a lot of crossover.

Zoe

I'm a fan of Soulsborne games and a fan of FF. I can't think of a friend or coworker of mine who doesn't like FF and soulsborne games. By this I mean, if they like one, they like the other. I would say there is a lot of crossover.

Well I for one did not like the Souls way of storytelling at all. Gameplay was fine and was my chief reason for playing it, not the story.

The opposite is true for FF series.

jett

D-Member
The scene of Ashe meeting the Occuria comes to mind rn

The change in tone when the Occuria start getting pissed at her is jusT

FFXII had such a great translation and dialogue.

Not much great anything else when it comes to story though

That video made me feel like checking out a final boss + ending video. I had to totally forgotten about Mecha-Broly Vayne. The hell is this example of complete and utter tastelessness. I wonder if he existed before Matsuno went insane.

Honestly, thinking about it, the last time I enjoyed a FF's game story might have been FF9, but in all truthfulness I remember almost nothing about it, not even if I liked it or not. Funny how you can spend 50 hours on a game and then forget all about it.

Blobbers

4chan guy is back

seems like the opening was inspired by Uncharted 4's in media res opening. I always thought Uncharted 4's was the weakest, like it wasn't really needed.

Ydelnae

Apparently the same person came back to do another Q&A? http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/360166949

I didn't read the whole thread but the most interesting bits would be that the party members in XV were the same characters (plus Umbra) in the original version of the game, Uncharted 4 inspiring that Chapter 0 prologue and more details about Versus.

Ray Down

Banned
More time post:
Like I said yesterday, the game barely had 3 years of actual development. We used a lot of material already done for the previous project but it hasn't been in development for a very long time, we wished we would have had another 9 months at least.

Changed Opening details:

No, I didn't meet the former director. No, I wasn't in the team when the decision was made. And I was told that when the script got rewritten, opening the game with the invasion didn't make sense narratively. Also, there were directions that the game had to open with an open world section.

I already answered to that question yesterday. Some things got cut before there was no time left to finish them and they might be released as downloads in the future. But the planned DLC was made in response to the fan feedback.

More fights with Ravus and Emperor were planned:

I think there was one more battle with Ravus early in development. There is a battle against the emperor in the final game if I recall correctly, but it was a result of a rewrite, it originally happened in another way.

More on Luna:

There was never a rape scene in the game. That scene was cut (I don't remember it being featured in trailers so I don't know where that picture came from) because Luna was handled very violently by a grown man and the team felt it was going to be controversial.

Pygrus

Haha what. They are absolutely nothing alike.

A story that is in the background and requires you to look for details in the game world, like exploration, side character dialogue, and a lot of hidden text that not everyone ends up reading.

Souls games have incredibly bare bones story when it comes to cutscenes and exposition, You need to actually dig into item descriptions and explore a lot to find out about the world.

Just like in FFXV where the cutscenes don't give you the full story and you actually have to look for details in the world for explanations to some of the finer points. For example, the radio snippets, the mythology books strewn around the world, and the newspapers/research papers that you need to explore to find.

Sorry to break it to you dude, but it's actually pretty similar to how souls games approach story telling.

They're absolutely nothing alike.

Stop this charade.

I sense a bit of denial.

Ray Down

Banned
Versus Detials:

Ardyn was also a villain in the game and he was responsible for the crystals disappearing over time. He was inmortal because he was not granted access to the other dimension after being dead.

Noctis killed the female protagonist because the crystal commanded him so.

Ray Down

Banned
Sounds like Luna scene's were removed after Kinglavie:

It was before the feedback team notified disappointment from japanese fans around Luna's role in the film and after taken into consideration recent news about female characters getting controversial treatment in videogames. But I don't have the full picture of that, just what I was told.

brad-t

A story that is in the background and requires you to look for details in the game world, like exploration, side character dialogue, and a lot of hidden text that not everyone ends up reading.

One is the result of an intentional storytelling methodology. The other is the unintended consequences of a rushed, stitched-together game with missing scenes. You can't compare them.

Ydelnae

A party of 8 characters who all dressed in black. And one of them wouldn't have any reason to be dressed in black since she wasn't from Lucis. Lmao.

Ray Down

Banned
More Versus Details:

I was told that the characters got transported to another dimension (the after life, filled with ghosts), but that noctis wasn't able to recover from that and that he ended up sleeping/in a coma, with the female protagonist protecting him for eternity

in the original script the Lucis family had built all their power from making sacrifices to the crystal or something like that.

More on Ravus:

The only thing I know about Ravus in the original script is that he had to cover his face because him being the heroine's brother was a plot point and that he wanted to kill Noctis for having killed his sister.

Outfit DLC incoming:

The answer might seem surprising but there wasn't enough time to put more of them, but nothing got scrapped. You can expect more outfits as downloads though.

Zomba13

Sounds like Luna scene's were removed after Kinglavie:

I like how SE's decision regarding a female character in light of controversial female character handling was to just cut it out to make the female character paper thin and just in the plot to die YET they keep the needlessly sexy and skimpy car mechanic that even does the sexy carwash stuff to your car when you ask her to fill up the tank.

Like, Jesus, they really don't get it do they? And then they even teased a new Play Arts Kai of Cindy focussing on her chest! Christ...

Souls games have incredibly bare bones story when it comes to cutscenes and exposition, You need to actually dig into item descriptions and explore a lot to find out about the world.

Just like in FFXV where the cutscenes don't give you the full story and you actually have to look for details in the world for explanations to some of the finer points. For example, the radio snippets, the mythology books strewn around the world, and the newspapers/research papers that you need to explore to find.

Sorry to break it to you dude, but it's actually pretty similar to how souls games approach story telling.

I sense a bit of denial.

The Souls games are like that by design. FFXV is not.

Top Bottom