• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Flops of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

xealo

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

haven't heard much positive buzz around this.

I think this game will be kinda badly received by the crowd who expects something closer to what Ghost Recon used to be, but it will probably still sell pretty well if well marketed just by the concept of it. Id be surprised if a game with a military theme like that doesn't do well with general consumers.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
-Everyone's going to write off RE7 as another VR tech demo since there's no returning characters or campiness from the older games

Have you followed the press previews from the game? Many sites have said that RE7 is the best game they played in 2016. This game's got big scores written all over it.

Ladekabel

Does it matter? Gameplay is gameplay. We've seen the combat, mounts and crafting. That's what we can expect. If gameplay is good that's something a game can always fall back on. I have no clue about the story so I won't comment on that, but if people like the way it plays and controls you can't really overlook that.

Yes it does matter. I played many games (especially open-world games) where I had fun for the first hour or two but after one point was sick it of it and wanted it to end. Even a good gameplay foundation can't always carry repetitive design for hours.

Not saying that it'll happen with Horizon but people should keep in mind that these play sessions which recieve good feedback were probably not longer than an hour and most likely held in a controlled environment.

oti

Banned
It still seems like there is nothing in that game. Get on a boat, shoot some ships. 12 months later, oh there is a map, follow, dig and treasure, then.....
Journalists really seem to like it though and it's not full price.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For Honor always strikes me as a weird choice given how incredibly well the alpha was received.

I guess I could see it doing bad critically, but commercially? Even some basic price discounting would get that on the Rainbow Six track if it had a challenging launch, which is a big if in the first place.

daTRUballin

It still seems like there is nothing in that game. Get on a boat, shoot some ships. 12 months later, oh there is a map, follow, dig and treasure, then.....

Yeah, all of that too. Plus the fact that there's been little to no hype for it at all.

Come on Microsoft/Rare. You have a possible breakout hit on your hands if handled correctly, and Rare desperately needs a breakout hit of some kind after all these years of flops and disappointments. Get your shit together already.

Shredderi

Scalebound is dead on arrival.

Wildlands looks extremely boring and lacks weight and oomph. It will sell somewhat well but will not review well.

levyjl1988

Banned
I know I won't buy into Agents of Mayhem and Scalebound.

Agents of Mayhem won't have character creation so I'll pass on it, that was the appeal for me with Saints Row.

Scalebound I could care less with a Dante like protagonist. If it was a female protagonist then I may be swayed.

AAMARMO

Banned
i'd heard some backlash about re7 but i was mainly speaking with regards to sales. capcom went in hard on the multiplayer aspects of 5 and 6 to reach a more mainstream audience, and this is a complete reinvention of the series - single-player, first-person perspective, and other weirdness not related to the main plot of the franchise (thank god).

Nah.

This game might sell well due to YouTubers.

blakep267

For Honor always strikes me as a weird choice given how incredibly well the alpha was received.

I guess I could see it doing bad critically, but commercially?
Also it's coming out a good time for a release. People are going to be wanting something to play and then Ubi swoops in again

1) Nintendo Switch, outside of Japan. Lack of Western AAA third party support is going to sink it.
2) Project Scorpio, for the same reasons why the PS4 Pro flopped this year: people not seeing 4k and improved performance as worth the extra $100-$200 over the base model.
3) Gravity Rush 2, I suspect is going to get buried in the Japanese game rush of the third three months of this year.
4) Ghost Recon Wildlands: it's had Steep levels of hype, which will be converted into Steep levels of sales.
5) For Honor: I get the feeling that the bulk of the hype for this game was for the singleplayer, and it's become very clear that the SP is a tack-on for the multiplayer, so the hype has dissipated.
6) Crackdown 3: I have absolutely no faith in Microsoft managing to get that cloud destruction stuff to scale for any real userbase. Best case scenario is that it's going to be another Driveclub: very publicly slammed for botching the launch, but a good game once the online issues are resolved that nobody plays because of the botched launch.

[edit] for clarity, the above list is looking strictly commercially, I suspect all (bar possibly Crackdown 3) are going to get good to excellent reviews.

Also, will concur that Scalebound looks like something that will absolutely not sell. Then again, it's a Platinum game, I'm not sure what Microsoft was expecting with that one.

oti

Banned

I guess I could see it doing bad critically, but commercially?

To me For Honor could become a sleeper hit. It's the game many people envision when they think video games. Huge battles with swords. But then the actual gameplay looks too deep for the general audience to really get into it.

I always imagined Ubisoft securing a deal with HBO for a Game of Thrones DLC. That could make a lot of money.

It goes both ways and I presented that as a counter-argument to all the "Well it's got nothing but positive impressions so far" posts. Almost all preview coverage is positive.
Even with impressions cancelled out, just looking at footage, there is nothing to suggest it will flop. Be below certain expectations? Sure, possibly. Flop? No.

Witcher demonstration that gave real insight and removed a bunch of uncertainty.

Link the demonstration please.

so far, the ideas GG speak about is neat and examples look cool but we've yet to see everything woven together like with did Witcher.

An example would be nice.

It feels off and I'm highly skeptical of GG. Would be good to revisit this thread when it's released.

What feels off?

2) Project Scorpio, for the same reasons why the PS4 Pro flopped this year: people not seeing 4k and improved performance as worth the extra $100-$200 over the base model.

Wait, what?

Plum

Assassin's Creed: Egypt/Empire/Whatever won't be a crazy sales disappointment but I don't see the two-year wait helping boost the series' sales back to its highest point. Honestly much of Ubisoft's output for next year has the potential to disappoint sales wise; For Honor, Ghost Recon: Wildlands being the main suspects.

If there's a CoD next year (which is likely) it will likely do less in terms of numbers than Infinite Warfare did, it all depends on how similar it is to the future-warfare style of the past few games.

Whilst Horizon won't flop in any way shape or form, I don't see it being the 9.5/10 GOTY-tier material some think it might be. The developer just doesn't have the pedigree and outside of the amazing graphics and the cool premise I can see it dropping points in the gameplay department. There will almost definitely be a few review thread meltdowns (same when BotW gets its inevitable 7/10 score from one review site) :p

As for the most major flops, both Agents of Mayhem and MGS: Survive will bomb quite significantly. Scalebound's platform will help kill it financially. Sadly I don't see Gravity Rush 2, Ni-Oh and Nier doing that well but you do never know.

Darksol

I'd say Scalebound, but only the most naive are expecting it to be a success. Regardless, the warning signs are all there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Resident Evil 7 strikes me as something that will definitely sell well over time, but I could certainly see it missing Capcom's 4 million copies in ~3 months projection.

I get the sense a lot of people want to play it, but it's very possible they want to $5-$20 play it instead of $60 play it.

I'm surprised that Horizon is getting brought up. Seems like I have heard nothing positive about it.

Scalebound will likely be a bad game IMO.

sense

Lol, horizon is going to be a critical ( most likely mid to high 80 metacritic) and commercial hit.

Gravity rush 2 is going to bomb tho.

Scalebound and crackdown probably bomb as well

Dreams from media molecule is most likely going to bomb

Plum

Resident Evil 7 strikes me as something that will definitely sell well over time, but I could certainly see it missing Capcom's 4 million copies in ~3 months projection.

I get the sense a lot of people want to play it, but it's very possible they want to $5-$20 play it instead of $60 play it.

Yeah I can definitely agree with this. I'm only getting it on launch because you can get the PC Boxed version on Amazon for £28. Looking at how other singleplayer-only games have been doing (Dishonored 2, TLG, etc) it'll likely be heavily discounted before the end of February.

Even with impressions cancelled out, just looking at footage, there is nothing to suggest it will flop. Be below certain expectations? Sure, possibly. Flop? No.

Which is what I said in my post. I never said Horizon was going to flop. Hell, I have it ranked as my second most anticipated game this year. I just understand the sentiment some have about it being received worse than what people currently expect.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
it's a disappointment sure but it is hardly a flop.
I actually put the ~45 or so $60 games that released this year and got enough reviews to place on Metacritic in a stacked list, and Mafia 3 was the third or fourth worst reviewed $60 game this year.

Chobel

Everything from Japanese devs not named Persona 5 or Resident Evil 7.

Stealth edit: inb4 Nintendo games, but yeah these will not bomb.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, completely agree with this.

I think it will review well, but won't launch well and will then sell well over time.

it's a disappointment sure but it is hardly a flop.

For a AAA game? Sure it is.

Witcher demonstration that gave real insight and removed a bunch of uncertainty. We saw cohesive world and mechanics, so far, the ideas GG speak about is neat and examples look cool but we've yet to see everything woven together like with did Witcher. It feels off and I'm highly skeptical of GG. Would be good to revisit this thread when it's released.

Please, come back to this thread where you think Horizon is a flop and share with us why in hindsight that it failed miserably.

Darksol

Gravity rush 2 is going to bomb tho

I doubt it. I'm sure the publisher does not expect to sell millions upon millions of copies. It's a niche game, the first title was great, and as long as it continues like that, I don't see why it can't do just as well if not a little better than the first.

statham

-switch
-Scorpio
-halo
-scalebound
-crackdown 3
-call of duty

switch, imo if priced at $199 will be huge.
Scorpio, I think will shock some peeps and be huge. I bet the electronics to get in fall 2017
Halo 6, willnot launch in 2017, if you mean Halo Wars 2, HW1 was not huge seller, I expect MS has expectations in check.
Scalebound, I got nothing.
Crackdown was never a huge seller, they tied the Halo 3 beta to crackdown 1 and it still did around a million. I expect the new one will do around a million.
Call of Duty will nowhere be a flop, may not do like the others, but will make mucho money.

Lady Gaia

Resident Evil VII is my bet for biggest near-term disappointment. I hope I'm wrong, it I could see this one failing to find an audience or critical success. Sure, it'll sell 1-2 million on name recognition and heavy advertising alone, but will it be successful enough for Capcom to dive right back into production on VIII? I'm betting otherwise.

I could see Scalebound being a Quantum Break scale disappointment. I'm sure it will have its fans but I don't see huge commercial success unless development really turns around and some significant changes are made. The main character looks like the result of a focus group, not singular artistic vision, and that holds true for far too much of the game's premise. Then again, I could be really out of touch.

Horizon is something I'm personally looking forward to, but I can see ways it could be middling successful instead of a huge hit. Everything we've seen suggests otherwise barring narration, though, so predicting a bomb seems a little extreme. Taking their time with the release schedule and showing up in all of Sony's recent ads suggests that they have faith in it, so I'm expecting meta critic scores at least in the mid-80s.

I share concerns about Nioh and Nier. Either or both could turn into a cult darling, yet both could just as well slide under the radar and vanish.

1)
5) For Honor: I get the feeling that the bulk of the hype for this game was for the singleplayer, and it's become very clear that the SP is a tack-on for the multiplayer, so the hype has dissipated.

Alpha was very well received and it seems a hit with casters. This couls very well be a huge eSports succes, just like R6.

It's good too, based on what I've played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom