• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 9: 7 more characters confirmed

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Playstation Magazine has confirmed the name of seven additional characters for the cast of Mortal Kombat 9. Cyrax, Kano, Sonya, Jax, Smoke, Kitana and Liu Kang will be joining the rest of the crew in the what will be the most violent Mortal Kombat ever released. A playable demo will be available to the public for the first time at the PAX Expo on September 3, 2010.

Source: SRK

sphinx

the piano man
I know everybody loves it but I hate.

classic fighter games have 30 playable characters, 26 of them all old as shit and do exactly the same moves with the same control mapping. Hardly a reason to get excited.

same was with street fighter 4. 4 my ass, 3 was new but 4 is 2 all over again just with a visual makeover and a couple new fighters.

I want new kickass characters!

legbone

good to see cyrax, kano and liu kang. kano makes me extremely happy. i'm sure we will eventually get a baraka reveal (unless he has already been confirmed).

TreIII

sphinx said:
I know everybody loves it but I hate.

classic fighter games have 30 playable characters, 26 of them all old as shit and do exactly the same moves with the same control mapping. Hardly a reason to get excited.

same was with street fighter 4. 4 my ass, 3 was new but 4 is 2 all over again just with a visual makeover and a couple new fighters.

I want new kickass characters!

Really, now? Half of the problem with the MK franchise in the last decade, was how they tried to add new characters to the roster, who each ended up being more insulting/off-putting than the last. If it wasn't characters who basically were clones of already established characters (Jarek, Kai, Frost, etc.), it was really stupid designs that just added on more in the way of camp value than ever.

I mean, does any body really miss the likes of Bo Rai Cho, the throwing-up monk? How about Meat, who's just literally a skeleton with blood and guts? Mocap? The two random-ass brothers from Armageddon? Or how about when Noob and Smoke did their little fusion dance? Etc., etc?

No, if any franchise needed a chance to go ahead and actually do some "pruning", it was definitely MK who needed it more than SF. Get back to the point in the franchise where pretty much everybody agreed the series was good (MK2-UMK3), and re-launch from there. Then maybe this series will have a chance to recapture what it hasn't had since the dawn of the new millennium.

Chavelo

_dementia said:
bicycle kicks

BICYCLE KICK?

2gtq9ll.gif

Hugbot said:
So what's the confirmed roster at this point?
Including these new reveals: Shang Tsung, Raiden, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Mileena, Nightwolf, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Sektor, Reptile, Cyrax, Kano, Sonya, Jax, Smoke, Kitana and Liu Kang

sphinx

the piano man
TreIII said:
Really, now? Half of the problem with the MK franchise in the last decade, was how they tried to add new characters to the roster, who each ended up being more insulting/off-putting than the last. If it wasn't characters who basically were clones of already established characters (Jarek, Kai, Frost, etc.), it was really stupid designs that just added on more in the way of camp value than ever.

I mean, does any body really miss the likes of Bo Rai Cho, the throwing-up monk? How about Meat, who's just literally a skeleton with blood and guts? Mocap? The two random-ass brothers from Armageddon? Or how about when Noob and Smoke did their little fusion dance? Etc., etc?

No, if any franchise needed a chance to go ahead and actually do some "pruning", it was definitely MK who needed it more than SF. Get back to the point in the franchise where pretty much everybody agreed the series was good (MK2-UMK3), and re-launch from there. Then maybe this series will have a chance to recapture what it hasn't had since the dawn of the new millennium.

Agreed for the most part BUT

still, moving from MK1 to MK2 midway introduced many new charatcers while leaving all the good ones from the first. I want that for MK9.

If this is an "anniversary edition" then I am fine but if this is Mortal Kombat 9, as stated in the title, then I demand new characters. If they sucked in past games at creating new characters (boraicho and Meat, lol) then they should try again and come up with something interesting this time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I know I'm alone on this, but I really hope they put some emphasis on the story. Since this is like, some alternate timeline, I hope they put some effort into highlighting what has changed because of Raiden's message.

Xater

thetrin said:
I know I'm alone on this, but I really hope they put some emphasis on the story. Since this is like, some alternate timeline, I hope they put some effort into highlighting what has changed because of Raiden's message.

No you are not alone. One of the most enjoyable parts of MK vs DC was the utterly ridiculous story.

TreIII

sphinx said:
Agreed for the most part BUT

still, moving from MK1 to MK2 midway introduced many new charatcers while leaving all the good ones from the first. I want that for MK9.

If this is an "anniversary edition" then I am fine but if this is Mortal Kombat 9, as stated in the title, then I demand new characters. If they sucked in past games at creating new characters (boraicho and Meat, lol) then they should try again and come up with something interesting this time.

For the sake of this project, YES, it is basically a "Greatest Hits" type of deal. Even the story reflects that much: Raiden some how gets a message from himself from the future, which effectively puts us back in the MK2/UMK3 era, but changes things around quite a bit, too.

For this to be Boon's "big chance" to re-establish the MK brand under a new house (WB) and new studio (Netherealm), it's all on him to make the right moves to give the fans confidence in the brand once more. So honestly, I don't blame him for doing more to "take it back to basics". MK had a whole decade to fester under Midway, and now's the time to make things right.

Besides, one of the things that they supposedly promised is that even though we'll be seeing a lot of older characters again, thanks to the events of Raiden's "time-lapsed message back to myself", things will be changing around. For example, some characters may not be mechanized or otherwise be killed off like they were in the "previous time line". I'd be all for such things, if it meant things along the line of say, "Original Sub Zero" never dies (and becomes Noob in the process), but his younger brother (Sub Zero II) ends up getting mechanized instead, and thus creates a "new character" in the process. Even little things like that can keep things fresh, and also meet the kinds of things that Xater and thetrin want to see.

Top Bottom