• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 9: 7 more characters confirmed

Joseph Merrick said:
Animreptileqq6.gif
Anyone want to avatarize Reptile for me? :D

Joseph Merrick said:
ahh yeah. almost time to get jiggy with it again

Considering what Mileena's outfit looks like now, if Sheeva came back, she'd be sporting dental floss. :lol Or it'd get to the point where it wrapped around and she'd be in body armor with spiked shoulders or something.

TreIII said:
For the sake of this project, YES, it is basically a "Greatest Hits" type of deal. Even the story reflects that much: Raiden some how gets a message from himself from the future, which effectively puts us back in the MK2/UMK3 era, but changes things around quite a bit, too.

For this to be Boon's "big chance" to re-establish the MK brand under a new house (WB) and new studio (Netherealm), it's all on him to make the right moves to give the fans confidence in the brand once more. So honestly, I don't blame him for doing more to "take it back to basics". MK had a whole decade to fester under Midway, and now's the time to make things right.

Besides, one of the things that they supposedly promised is that even though we'll be seeing a lot of older characters again, thanks to the events of Raiden's "time-lapsed message back to myself", things will be changing around. For example, some characters may not be mechanized or otherwise be killed off like they were in the "previous time line". I'd be all for such things, if it meant things along the line of say, "Original Sub Zero" never dies (and becomes Noob in the process), but his younger brother (Sub Zero II) ends up getting mechanized instead, and thus creates a "new character" in the process. Even little things like that can keep things fresh, and also meet the kinds of things that Xater and thetrin want to
see.

Sounds like a star trek style reboot

Anyanka

For the record they're misquoting Playstation Magazine. They were speculating on the roster. Although they're all characters I'm sure will be in anyway.

They're actually going to announce new characters at Gamescon next week.

Bleepey

If this game does well, like amongst the hardcore and casuals outside as well as inside of Japan then i can see this game leading to a MK VS SF since the series' lack of clout in Japan was oen of the reasons there never was a VS game between the two franchises.

fernoca

Unless something goes seriously wrong, there will be joysticks and limited editions too.
Though they are mute when it comes to the contents or even who's making the joysticks.

Mad Catz seems to be the obvious choice, but who knows.

Hugbot

fernoca said:
Unless something goes seriously wrong, there will be joysticks and limited editions too.
Though they are mute when it comes to the contents or even who's making the joysticks.

Mad Catz seems to be the obvious choice, but who knows.
I'm not sure I want to drop the money for another stick, but it would feel too weird to play MK on a stick without the X buttons. Hmm.

TreIII

Bleepey said:
If this game does well, like amongst the hardcore and casuals outside as well as inside of Japan then i can see this game leading to a MK VS SF since the series' lack of clout in Japan was oen of the reasons there never was a VS game between the two franchises.

I dunno. They may stand to surprise me, but I don't think WB is that concerned with trying to market the brand inside of Japan.

MK9 doesn't stand to get an arcade release (which already will likely put it at odds with the very audience it could most stand to impress), and let's not forget the CERO rating board would eat the game alive and pretty much insure that most Japanese people likely wouldn't even get a chance to see the game. :lol

At best, some one like Spike may give the game a limited amount of exposure. But that still won't do anything to help promote MK's presence in Japan, much less give Capcom more reason invest in a cross-over.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bleepey said:
Ugh.

Bleepey said:
If they went with Tatsunoko.....

Geek

Ninny Prancer
PlayStation the Official Magazine said:
"It's expected the roster will be rounded up with Kombat's usual assortment of gods, creeps and weirdoes, including Raiden, Sonya, Smoke, Kitana, Liu Kang and more."

Is that really confirmed? Sounds like PtoM is expecting those characters to appear--why wouldn't they?--but I didn't see any actual confirmation of that.

Good line-up so far. Hopefully not too many of their "stupid" characters will get in. I wouldn't mind a pretty good chunk of new characters though (7-10) since almost all of their decent characters have been announced already. Sure most would probably be goofballs but that's been the case since the release of MK3 anyway.

fernoca

abstract alien said:
I guess it will have to be Cyber Smoke since Human Smoke turned out to be Sub-Zero. Well, someone else could be Human Smoke...
???
Human Smoke = Cyber Smoke
Classic Sub-Zero = Noob Saibot
Noob Saibot + Cyber Smoke = Noob Smoke
Noob Smoke - Smoke = Noob; Smoke

.la1n

SolidSnakex said:
I really doubt that they're going to do console exclusive characters.

You just jinxed us all, thanks. Also, I am happy to just see reptile do an (almost) return to form. I really think it's best they stick to the original cast MK1 & 2 (some of 3) because nothing I have seen of recent games has shown any ability to create new characters anywhere close to iconic as the original cast. Not to mention they even took some of original cast and made them stupid (zombie kang and full on lizard reptile come to mind.)

Sydle

SpeedySwaf said:
Including these new reveals: Shang Tsung, Raiden, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Mileena, Nightwolf, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Sektor, Reptile, Cyrax, Kano, Sonya, Jax, Smoke, Kitana and Liu Kang

WTF, no Kabal or Sindel?

ArjanN

abstract alien said:
I guess it will have to be Cyber Smoke since Human Smoke turned out to be Sub-Zero. Well, someone else could be Human Smoke...

I think it's fairly obvious they'll put in the characters they want to put in and simply adjust the story accordingly.

ArjanN said:
I think it's fairly obvious they'll put in the characters they want to put in and simply adjust the story accordingly.
Well...that is why I made the remark about someone else possibly being Smoke if he were to be the same as the one Sub Zero was. Altering the story is the obvious part, that's why I said it :lol

Either way, Sub Zero isn't Smoke, I confused him with Noob, so its pretty much pointless to go any further.

Top Bottom