• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Interview w/ Saito, Taro, Taura & Preview

Hektor

Short summary of the interview: (english)

• Q: Can we expect a reason as to why 2B is so sexily designed?

Taro: I just love women!

• The transparent bars during cutscenes are transparent because they're supposed to tell you you are in an story moment with uncontrollable character, while still allowing you to enjoy the art in the background
  • There might be a way to toggle them off in Nier 3
  • Taura ended up in this project because he was a big fan of Nier and volunteered instantaneously
  • Yoko Taro is by far the hardest person in the team to work with
  • Taura doesn't like doing the same thing twice, he says they didn't took a great deal from MGR, which may or may not be a good thing.
  • The difference with Nier and their older games is that they're trying to move away from the hardcore action niche, trying to make games that are more accessible.
  • In regards to regional changes/censorship, these decisions are done by regional teams of SE and outside their control, he is not aware that anything as been done for Nier: Automata in that regard, but regardless, his stories will still suck. (lol)
  • The ending is gonna be crap
  • Yoko Taro loves his female fans, but the guys he couldn't care less about. He might give them a hug tho.
  • Tauras answer to the question wether ever worked on Metal Gear Rising 2:
    "..."
About the preview session:(German)

• They played 3 entire hours
  • The start of the game is supposedly really unusual and spectacular, but there's an embargo on the details
  • Your hub is a spacestation in black'n'white
  • You can change most things in the HUD (like you could in the demo)
  • The world is seamless, no loadingscreens
  • Some environments look ass (look up 4:20)
  • urf4Lrj.png

• So do some NPC's
  • The combat system is expectedly less complex than a Devil May Cry or Bayonotta, but still feels very Platinum
  • Fans of Drakengard and NieR gonna find some nostalgic weapons
  • Every weapon can be slotted in either the light- or hardattack slot
  • Specific weapon combinations unlock exclusive and unique moves
  • NieR: Automata's banter between the characters reminds positively of OG NieR
  • The first three hours are full of genre swaps already
  • The Soundtrack made a good impression
  • There's gonna be a Jukebox that allows you to create your own soundtrack, including options like lyrics on/off
  • It's confirmed that the Demo is the first mission in the full game
  • The game is gonna be just as weird and charming as OG Nier
  • As example: (Spoiler for the first mission)
    if you die during the first mission you don't get back to a checkpoint but instead are presented with an exclusive ending and thrown back into the main menu

We got to do an interview and preview as well:

preview - http://www.godisageek.com/2017/02/n...nd-stunning-post-apocalyptic-visuals-preview/

Interview - http://www.godisageek.com/2017/02/nier-automata-interview-yosuke-saito-takahisa-taura/

my favourite bits:

“I mean, I was told by Mr. Saito here to go to work on the game in Osaka and work with these guys,” he says. “I was told that there was a really great, really talented development team there and it turns out it’s true, it’s great. All I have to do is sit there drinking beer all day and they make the game for me.”

and

“It is very interesting looking at the reactions and all this praise coming from the fans and people are speaking so highly of it. I mean my story is really, really poor–it’s a piece of shit, really. It’s worth nothing, adds zero points into the review but Platinum Games action is worth 120 points. Overall, that’s 120% rating, so I think it’s worth it!”

Hastati

That's a very...Frank interview. I'd love to see a behind the scenes doc detailing all of the employees' complaints about Yoko Taro with mosaic and voice modulation.

Can't wait for the awful endings!

SilentRob

Wow, thanks for the write-up Hektor! As usual, I'll try to answer and additional questions if there are any, though any story details are still under Embargo.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Implication? You'll have to explain that one. Seems like he's just admitting that he designed a sexy character because he likes sexiness.
It's the same implication as when the CD of FFXV said it's contradictory to want a non sexualized female party member. Subsequently, quotes like that imply that NOT having that mindset overtly means that you must not love the opposite gender enough.
Which let's be honest, gets reiterated near constantly in equality threads what with the accusations that we all just must hate breasts.

It's the same implication as when the CD of FFXV said it's contradictory to want a non sexualized female party member. Subsequently, quotes like that imply that NOT having that mindset overtly means that you must not love the opposite gender enough.
Which let's be honest, gets reiterated near constantly in equality threads what with the accusations that we all just must hate breasts.
I see that, but then again, I doubt we should be taking the phrasing at head value. The whole interview is really tongue-in-cheek, as you know. I doubt that that implication is conscious or sincere. Wasn't the FFXV debacle a serious answer?

Servbot24

Banned

I suppose he could have made his statement in a more sensitive and PR-contextualized manner, but honestly I think we all clearly understood what he meant. He likes sexy people and he expressed that by making a sexy character. He's not saying that that's all there is to women, or that if you don't like sexiness in the same way that he likes sexiness, then you don't care about women.

These other devs trying to explain their character designs with lore while Yoko Taro's like "I like hot girls"

Gotta respect him for being direct. Of course all these interviews have funny responses, the bluntness of this one was pretty great.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Er, that's pretty reaching. He can't just like sexy designs?

I see your going just shy of calling the guy a sexist it seems.

Crossing Eden

I see that, but then again, I doubt we should be taking the phrasing at head value. The whole interview is really tongue-in-cheek, as you know. I doubt that that implication is conscious or sincere. Wasn't the FFXV debacle a serious answer?
I feel it's representative of a lot of the issues with some mindsets wen designing female characters.

I suppose he could have made his statement in a more sensitive and PR-contextualized manner, but honestly I think we all clearly understood what he meant.
PR isn't the issue.

SilentRob

even if there was a reason i would have expected it to be as stupid as kojimas reason was why quiet was designed that way as well.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Kaine's ridiculous Outfit actually has a pretty good reason to exist and it makes sense why she would want to show off her feminity like that. Other characters even make fun of her based on her Outfit, not knowing the backstory. That stuff can work.

I think you are way overthinking it Eden. Taro loves to be as blatant and self-depricating as possible in Interviews. That's basically all this is.

Crossing Eden

I think you are way overthinking it Eden. Taro loves to be as blatant and self-depricating as possible in Interviews. That's basically all this is.
Blatant yes, self deprecating in that context and the context of how much a large section of the gaming community loves dehumanization and objectification?
Nada.

I can't enjoy this game if the director loves women
Try thinking a little bit harder about why that statement is problematic.

Blatant yes, self deprecating in that context and the context of how much a large section of the gaming community loves dehumanization and objectification?
Nada.

Is it problematic that a director has modeled a character after their sexuality?

Dio

Banned
I don't think he intended what you're reaching for. I think all he meant was that he likes women in the sense that he's a heterosexual male and he's attracted to sexy ones, which is hardly offensive.

He is not implying that people who don't like the design don't like women.

SoldnerKei

well, now we can't say the guy didn't warn us regarding the story lol

Q: Can we expect a reason as to why 2B is so sexily designed?

Taro: I just love cosplayed women!

fix'd

I really need this game

Servbot24

Banned
Nada.

I agree it was not self-deprecation, but it was an avoidance of trying to justify anything. It's an "I like this type of design, so I made this type of design" comment. Yeah it's shallow and base, yeah I wish he would aim higher, but I don't feel as though he can be faulted either.

I am 100% for sensitivity and for designers trying to make a positive example on these types of issues, but the idea that him saying he enjoys women's figures is actually him saying that anyone who doesn't enjoy the same types of bodies that he enjoys must be a woman-hater... sorry, that just seems like a wild leap.

Crossing Eden

Is it problematic that a director has modeled a character after their sexuality?
Nothing about 2b's design says anything about her sexuality, nor does anything she's doing, sexuality=/=sexualization and to answer your question yes. It's still a prevalent issue.

I don't think he intended what you're reaching for. I think all he meant was that he likes women in the sense that he's a heterosexual male and he's attracted to sexy ones, which is hardly offensive.

He is not implying that people who don't like the design don't like women.
Most heterosexual men like attractive women, its' when that attraction starts to lead t objectification is when the issue arises.

I agree it was not self-deprecation, but it was an avoidance of trying to justify anything. It's an "I like this type of design, so I made this type of design" comment. Yeah it's shallow and base, yeah I wish he would aim higher, but I don't feel as though he can be faulted either.

I am 100% for sensitivity and for designers trying to make a positive example on these types of issues, but the idea that him saying he enjoys women's figures is actually him saying that anyone who doesn't enjoy the same types of bodies that he enjoys must be a woman-hater... sorry, that just seems like a wild leap.
I'm saying that's a bit of the implication, an implication that gets outright stated by large sections of the gaming community. And hell yes he can be criticized for adding to the pile and being shallow. Imagine if ND made a game with character designed like the women in Jak 2, they'd get a lot of criticism. The main implication I have a problem with is the idea that default for women=sexy based on that response. He seriously could've worded that a shit ton better.

Raptor

So now if I like women that means I think women are nothing but hotness and sexy and nothing more and thats why I will design them that why because I think nothing more but ass and boobs.

Jesus Christ man.

Nothing about 2b's design says anything about her sexuality, nor does anything she's doing, sexuality=/=sexualization and to answer your question yes. It's still a prevalent issue.

You misunderstood me. I meant that Taro designed 2B around *his* sexuality. Is it amoral, in your opinion, for a developer to create a character that appeals to themselves?

Servbot24

Banned
So now if I like women that means I think women are nothing but hotness and sexy and nothing more and thats why I will design them that why because I think nothing more but ass and boobs.

Jesus Christ man.

It's not about your intention, it's about the statement that is (probably inadvertently) made when these characters are the face of the industry. There's nothing wrong with it on a personal level, there is potentially something wrong with it on a socially responsible level.

Btw in this case I have no problem with her design on any level. I really love it actually, for a number of reasons.

Setsu00

I'm saying that's a bit of the implication, an implication that gets outright stated by large sections of the gaming community. And hell yes he can be criticized for adding to the pile and being shallow. Imagine if ND made a game with character designed like the women in Jak 2, they'd get a lot of criticism. The main implication I have a problem with is the idea that default for women=sexy based on that response. He seriously could've worded that a shit ton better.

Taro said in another interview that he wants to make a game about an old lady having problems with her knees. If you want to take him at face value, be fair and take everything he says on face value.

Source: "Taro discusses the main character of 2B and jokes about the various ideas thrown about during development. “Certainly the star of the show is a female character, we did have discussions about making her an old lady, an old granny,” he laughs. “I want to play a game where you’re playing as an old woman and she saying ‘Oh, my knees!’ Maybe next time,” he says, shrugging."

Crossing Eden

You misunderstood me. I meant that Taro designed 2B around *his* sexuality. Is it amoral, in your opinion, for a developer to create a character that appeals to themselves?
There's an orgy of that already in the industry, in this day and age, it's pretty problematic. And it's pretty backwards considering he at least tried to critique that aspect of it in the past.

Taro said in another interview that he wants to make a game about an old lady having problems with her knees. If you want to take him at face value, be fair and take everything he says on face value.
That would at least be more refreshing than another Waifu character
. Here's the thing, unlike a lot of the other things said, that one has some very real implications in comparison, especially since it's also been said by other devs recently.

Raptor

It's not about your intention, it's about the statement that is (probably inadvertently) made when these characters are the face of the industry. There's nothing wrong with it on a personal level, there is potentially something wrong with it on a socially responsible level.

Btw in this case I have no problem with her design on any level. I really love it actually, for a number of reasons.

So he cant say he likes women?

I dont understand seriously whats the problem with his response.

what should he say "I like women but not because they......" Im at blank as to what he could say, he designed a sevy character, whats the reason? because he likes sexy characters in this case women, I guess Im naive then.

There's an orgy of that already in the industry, in this day and age, yes. And it's pretty backwards considering he at least tried to critique that aspect of it in the past.

I personally disagree that indulging in one's sexuality is anything immoral, regardless of other circumstances, but I do see your point. Let's agree to disagree.

Servbot24

Banned
So he cant say he likes women?

I dont understand seriously whats the problem with his response.

what should he say "I like women but not because they......" Im at blank as to what he could say, he designed a sevy character, whats the reason? because he likes sexy characters in this case women, I guess Im naive then.

He can totally say that, I have no problem with it. It's just good to always keep in mind that the way we behave and the things we make contribute to something much bigger than our individual selves. Even though I don't agree with Eden's specific points, I appreciate that he's considering the game in an larger context than just purely the game itself.

Raptor

He can totally say that, I have no problem with it. It's just good to always keep in mind that the way we behave and the things we make contribute to something much bigger than our individual selves. Even though I don't agree with Eden's specific points, I appreciate that he's considering the game in an larger context than just purely the game itself.

Thanks for responding without calling me a close minded or anything.

I guess yeah I will agree to disagree with some of the points presented in this thread then :)

sensui-tomo

Going to try to keep things on topic. Like how we have a hidden ending at the very beginning of the game. Love that we're going to be able to pick select music to play with the jukebox.

Crossing Eden

Thank you for taking the time to see the point being made instead of a kneejerk "Oh I can't say I like women now?!"

Crossing Eden

See?

Lol.
You missed the crux of the issue. No one is saying you can't say that you like women now. Consider the context of that statement in the way it was made and similar comments made by devs before.

ZangBa

Considering the first game, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up ashamed of my words and deeds despite his reasoning for 2B's design.

Top Bottom