• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Interview w/ Saito, Taro, Taura & Preview

There's an orgy of that already in the industry, in this day and age, it's pretty problematic. And it's pretty backwards considering he at least tried to critique that aspect of it in the past.

That would at least be more refreshing than another Waifu character
. Here's the thing, unlike a lot of the other things said, that one has some very real implications in comparison, especially since it's also been said by other devs recently.
What are the implications? Did you also take issue with Steve Martin's tweet about Carrie Fisher?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ok concerning the bolded, holy fuck that's a HUGE leap, secondly, Kaine is a character designed to be that way, Cortana chooses to be naked too.

No its not, you are seconding/disregarding every other aspect of character/characterization to their appearance, and that's not right at all.

Of course ANY character is "authored", but if you can't get past their appearance and actually engage with how that character functions within the narrative (also authored), your complaint is, by definition, superficial.

Kaine's appearance is just one of a multitude of misdirections that service the core message of the story: Specifically that things are not always what they seem and reacting based on appearances alone leads to misery and disaster.

This is not tokenism or mere titillation, it is intrinsic to the story and the entirety of the NG+ cycle relentlessly hammers the point home.

Can you say the same thing about the other example you cite?

Honestly I don't think it's worth keeping this thread open anymore - it was good for a few replies, but now everyone is responding to a single person making a mountain out of a near non-existent molehill.

The quoted issue has much of its context removed, and is exaggerated through personal assumptions. I had never even heard about Crossing Eden before this thread, and I believe they are blowing things grossly out of proportion.

I say this as someone that hated Quiet's design and purpose in MGSV, but can completely understand all the trans and other individuals who identify with and support Kaine.

Either way, I think there's a lot of interesting information in the other 90% of the interview, and this thread would be much more interesting and worthwhile of we spoke more about that. (IMO)

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
What?He is the director of Darkengard 3?
Isn't this game bad-mouth as No Man Sky?

voodew

Neo Member
It doesn't do a lot to normalize transexuality or intersex. Especially since Kaine ends up being the butt of many jokes in the game.

How is she not normalized? She's basically treated the same as everyone else within the group and her experience with abuse (including the bullying towards her gender identity) even gives her the ability to become a mentor figure to Emil. Based on her own principles, she teaches him not to care what society thinks of him, his eyes, or his appearance. I think that's pretty positive.

Dio

Banned
What?He is the director of Darkengard 3?
Isn't this game bad-mouth as No Man Sky?

No. Drakengard 3 was a great game filled with really crappy technical problems because it was done on such a tiny budget by the studio that did Deadly Premonition.

I find it refreshing that a designer can simply say "I made it like this and approved this because I just like it #thetruthdealwithit2017"

When I see some weird justification on why a character is made in some way, particularly sexy, I just want to ask them simply "Is part of the reason as simple as, 'hey I liked it'?" Would be a massively better way of going about these things lol.

Like if they ever interview the DoA5 team on why they introduced Marie Rose and why she has replaced Kasumi as the poster girl, I would want them to just admit "because we know there is a fraction of the audience that likes the 20's beautiful women type, but we also know there is a hardcore group who love lolis and idols, we knew if we pandered to that crowd we would make crazy money" blam.

We should move on from the other topic. Back to the original reason for the thread please.

Like who do I have to beg for NieR 3???

Well, telling everyone you know who likes Action RPGs about the game and getting word of mouth out might help sales which may help us get a remaster of the original or even a sequel.

But I rather focus on the game right in front of us rather than a sequel to it, right now.

killatopak

Gold Member
Isn't it implied in one of the interviews that there was a plan to make automata like the first one and have two versions? Taro said he was tired and bored of making two versions so they just made 2B and 9S both playable. It also makes them focus on a single version and makes the budget combine into a single version.

Squire

Banned
This is from the Mass Effect community thread, but I'm posting it hear because I think Automata has narrative ambitions to cover this topic and I'm curious if people agree or not. This is the conclusion I've arrived at based on the trailers so far.

Green ending is space nirvana. I mean, the catalyst, Legion, and Javik are basically right; the differences between organic intelligence and artificial intelligence are monumental and in theory inevitable to clash. The technological singularity is a legitimate point of discussion today, and there are numerous interesting talks and papers to read on the implications of runaway intelligence that vastly exceeds our own biological limitations, including the unintended risks such a situation poses.

In that respect synthesis is literally the solution to this legitimate problems; the merging of organic and synthetic identity into a singular whole, where organics are no longer limited by biological limitations and thus ascend into a new being. There are legitimate theories that this is our very real fate, too.

The original post is twice as long, but the rest is just about the quality of ME3s ending specifically, so I cut it. I know EatChildren is looking forward to this game too, so maybe he'll see this and weigh in himself.

I really hope the final boss of Nier: automata is just a glorified Parappa the Rapper level. Complete with animated 2D ART!

Also, spoilers for Drakengard 3:

I wonder if the black and white "base" or whatever has something to do with how Taro has used black and white in the first and third Drakengards. Has he ever spoken on that...well who am I kidding it's Taro so probably not seriously

I wont because there is nothing to think, he likes women, thats why its "sexualized".

I wont look for a problem where there aint one to begin with.

I won't say that it's a huge problem or whatever, but I have to say that it does rub me the wrong way.

If he said "I like sexy women" I'd be more fine with, but he didn't. What he said came off as if it's a given that liking women means wanting them to be sexy.

Can... can we just focus on the preview and be hyped about Nier Automata? Is that too much to ask...?

Come on, there are like six active hype threads about this game in the last day alone. People are responding to things in the OP. It's not some kind of a Nier-subjugation.

This one please!

I didn't know what to talk about so I choose NieR 3 haha! Can't tell people to change the subject without thinking of something to discuss so I spit out the first thing on my mind.
Well, we can talk about the fact that apparently you can get certain endings by
dying
in certain points of the story! That is super cool. What was the last game that actually did this? I know Fahrenheit did it to some degree.

Karsha

Is the plot connected to the first game or this one is totally different? Just checked some gameplay videos and it seems I can't recognize any of the characters...

pezzie

There will be a few returning characters in probably small roles, but for the most part the cast will be completely different. This game does take place about 8000 years after the first Nier after all.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There's like one voice of dissent and about a billion people saying things along the lines of "oh only 9 posts" and "every thread this happens I stg".

So who's really derailing the thread?

Then there's the fact that people are calling it a "derail", when it was a comment directly related to a quote in the interview.

Everything in the interview is fair game for discussion.

Can... can we just focus on the preview and be hyped about Nier Automata? Is that too much to ask...?

Yes, asking for every thread on a game to be a hype train echo chamber is too much to ask.

It doesn't do a lot to normalize transexuality or intersex. Especially since Kaine ends up being the butt of many jokes in the game.

Because Weiss is an asshole. Actually, you know it sucks that the bar for gaming is literally that low that Kaine is considered a positive. We need more devs to seriously humanize transexuality and not with a literal wall of text. :|

Handwaving someone's personal experience, and reducing the incredibly bold and progressive decision to make a 30 minute novel section exclusively focused on the childhood of the intersex woman who plays the role of leading woman be the centerpiece of the game as "a literal wall of text."

You have really jumped the shark with this one, man.

An explosion of honesty! lol

Considering the question was literally - and I quote...

Question: "Obviously there was quite some talk of the design of 2B in the last few weeks and you probably know it better than anyone else because you have... basically the internet sent you all of the 2B hentai there was... so I wanted to ask you about that. My question is: Obviously with characters like Kaine. there was a backstory to her looks, there was something to it. Can we expect some backstory explaining 2B's design, because why does a battle robot look like this or was it just because her designer really really likes big thighs and pretty women?"

... and he just picked the latter, I have to say I like it too.

Much better to see him being honest rather than him trying to Hideo out of it. (Thank god Kaine in NieR was handled so much better than Quiet in MGSV)

If he said "I like sexy women" I'd be more fine with, but he didn't. What he said came off as if it's a given that liking women means wanting them to be sexy.

As indicated above, he was picking one of two options. (i.e: "Is there a reason behind 2B's design in particular, or is it just because you like pretty women?")

All he said is that it was the latter.

bec7c392eaa93f32979b47cc23357b16.gif

As indicated above, he was picking one of two options. (i.e: "Is there a reason behind 2B's design in particular, or is it just because you like pretty women?")

All he said is that it was the latter.

Yar, I understand that. As I said, it's not really a big problem to me. It's a short throwaway answer by a person who tend to be half-serious all the time in an interview involving three languages.

I am just explaining why my immediate feeling skewed negative at the moment it was said. It seems that many people think these kind of things get criticisms merely because somebody dares to like sexy women, while it's the tendency to see sexiness as women's default state is what I'm weary and wary of.

while it's the tendency to see sexiness as women's default state is what I'm weary and wary of.

I understand where you're coming from, and that can be an issue - but I don't think it's the issue here.

RPG Site Interview said:
RPG Site: Well, that actually brings me on to the next question, which is... about these designs, 2B and 9S. Why are they so pretty? Is there a story reason robots of war look this way?

Taro Yoko: Nah, to be honest, that's just what I liked! The reason why they dress the way they do with the black clothing, the blindfolds, the masks... that has a very deep, significant meaning within the story. That's something I want the players to experience and find out by getting their hands on the game and seeing what that's all about.

RPG Site: What did you make of the fan response to the characters in the wake of the demo? It seemed pretty significant.

Taro Yoko: It was interesting... I think what you're referring to there is perhaps the fact that 2B's bottom became such a big topic of discussion on the internet. It was very interesting, because we didn't really think of the character in that way at all - as a sexy character. The way we designed her and the way we think about her within the story is completely different, so it was quite a surprise to see that's what people took from it.

GrayChild

Nobody cares about famitsu review but anyway it got 39/40 on this week's famitsu.

Considering that Famitsu's reviews are based on hype alone and that the game is ranked on top in the Japanese Amazon, I guess it should perform great in Japan at least.

BumRush

Then there's the fact that people are calling it a "derail", when it was a comment directly related to a quote in the interview.

Everything in the interview is fair game for discussion.

Cindy and Kaine have become a large portion of this thread now. This is a thread about Nier Automata, though.

LotusHD

Banned
http://rologeass.tumblr.com/post/157230876416/nier-automata-famitsu-review-and-score-about-10

Bit more detail on the Famitsu review, some of which includes how long it takes to beat it

About 10 hours to clear the First Ending
30 hours to clear the Last Ending
Production quality and music are wonderful
When R2 evade button mastered, it becomes more interesting
The characteristics of Yoko Taro works are well presented and the fans will surely enjoyed it
The battle was exhilarating and moving me!
I wish the loading time was a little short
The difficulty adjustment is great and well balanced
Auto parts customization can be difficult

killatopak

Gold Member
I wanna know if finishing the game makes you start halfway just like nier. That would cut down replay time and allow for more endings if the
30 hour final ending is correct

Madeupfred

Neo Member
It's the same implication as when the CD of FFXV said it's contradictory to want a non sexualized female party member. Subsequently, quotes like that imply that NOT having that mindset overtly means that you must not love the opposite gender enough.
Which let's be honest, gets reiterated near constantly in equality threads what with the accusations that we all just must hate breasts.

The culture war has completely fried your brain.

Come on. I agree that the wording is not perfect, but no person is mandated to always express themselves in a way that it can't be misinterpreted outside of context. It seems like some people here are really headstrong about demanding perfect wording from a person under all circumstances.

That sentence just needs context to be properly understood. That's it.

Top Bottom