• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Interview w/ Saito, Taro, Taura & Preview

LotusHD

Banned
So how do you reconcile liking the design despite its sexualized nature? For example, I like the design just from a glance, but I disagree with his reasoning

I hope you enjoy it, his games are always an experience and they're why I've followed Nier and Drakengard. I know that even amongst fans, not every game is a hit in music or story (Drakengard 3). So do know that his games do fluctuate a bit, and Nier is probably the better starting point. So yea, enjoy the ride. I'm certain it will be memorable.

Yup, can't wait.

Nope

He's speaking very clear standard Hochdeutsch imho. Iirc he's from the Ruhr Area, but living in Berlin.

Putting in "Drakengard 3 Final Boss" nets these results among others among others heh

Drakengard 3 RANT | Branch D Final Boss: How Yoko Taro Ruined The Game

Kaos Plays: Drakengard 3 Part 33 FINAL-Horrible Boss [Rage Quit]

Drakengard 3 Final Boss: There will be failures

Drakengard 3 Playthrough - Part 47 - Worst Final Boss In Video Game History

Drakengard 3 Final Boss Rage!

I just love hearing and reading reactions to it.

I'm not disagreeing that the boss is horrible, tho i think that's intentional. You can't fuck up the camera and the beatmap this hard by accident, especially when it's a fixated scene.

It took me an entire day to beat and it required me to start a YT-Video and synch that shit with my own videogame.

A one of a kind experience. Especially because the boss and the soundtrack is so beautiful artisitcally.

I saw the boss on Youtube. It looked absolutely awful to experience in almost every way, and yet it's so spellbinding nonetheless...

DVCY201

Was the final boss of Drakengard 3 that bad? I didn't play Drakengard 3 for...many reasons.

Care to elaborate on these reasons?

And no, it wasn't that bad. Just takes patience and a good rhythm. But it did take me 3 hours though lol, but the music was too good, so it didn't bother me

FoxSpirit

Joke's on you, I'm a filthy far-left commie SJW and I'm buying this game too.
*high five*
Though can we leave out SJW? I simply fight for mutual respect of all people.

Also, I don't want less sexy women, I want more sexy men. Dreamboats for the female fans. Running around only in their speedo.

Clothing or not, the only bad thing is the constant show off of perfect physique but less clothing? Sure thing. Nudist beach!!

chrono01

I routinely switch back and forth on whether or not Nier or BoTW is my most hyped title this year lol

If I had to pin it down, I consider BoTW to be the the hype of the known. I've played several Zelda games. I know what to expect. I know the gist of what the plot is and how it typically ends. I anticipate the continuation of the quality and polish I've come to expect from mainline Zelda entries.

Whereas Nier Automata is the hype of the unknown. Part of that unknown partially stems from me having yet to play any of Yoko Taro's games (I will play Nier soon though!), but nonetheless, I still don't know what to fully expect from this game. I mean that death mechanic was a perfect example; shit came out of nowhere. But you hear that his first game was a cult classic. That it had a masterpiece of an OST whose composer is returning for this game. That its one big flaw, the gameplay/combat, is being handled by the beloved Platinum. That the director whose known for his wit and dark sense of humor is also personally working on the game, and loves genre-bending and weird endings. It is a game that by all accounts should not exist, and yet it miraculously does. So it's like, I have absolutely no clue how this story is gonna go, and yet I can't help but have just as much confidence that this will be a very memorable game.
Well-said, and I agree with you on all points.

I haven't played Nier either, although I do own it. It's just my PS3 isn't currently connected to my TV (not enough inputs), and while I could always dig it out and re-connect it, my current backlog already has me busy enough. I can only hope that Nier Automata is a success and leads to an HD remaster of the original. I'd love to experience it for the first time on current-gen consoles.

It's insane that we're getting games of this caliber this early in the year. Normally I'd expect this around the holiday, not March. It's a pleasant surprise for sure, but I definitely fear for my free-time.

Care to elaborate on these reasons?

And no, it wasn't that bad. Just takes patience and a good rhythm
It was more of a personal thing. Gore, the male harem thing, not a big fan of prequel with little to no story connection to the sequels, the ending, etc. Plus if I remember correctly physical copies were a Square Enix store exclusive at the beginning and since at that time I had the absolute worst Internet, I really couldn't do well with digital titles. There are other reasons too but I feel like I'm going to face scrutiny for the reasons I listed. Basically it wasn't the game for me.

But the final boss doesn't sound so bad when you put it that way. It sounds like classic Yoko.
Imagine you're playing
an 8 minute rythm game
that doesn't allow you a single mistake and pulls things like:

Goes without saying the linked videos are spoilers
....Wait what the heck is this?!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So how do you reconcile liking the design despite its sexualized nature? For example, I like the design just from a glance, but I disagree with his reasoning
By admitting that you like the design but also acknowledging that the critique of the sexualization is completely valid.

I didn't say it was right or ok.
my point was not with the game or you,just found the comment interesting.
And yes we all do subconsciounsly,the mind is an interesting place after all.
ignore me if you want Eden

Edit: i guess my point was that objectification happens alot in "real' life as well with all people,some guys will find your comments a bit weird but try nott get too upset about it just a common reaction :)
No I genuinely don't consider those close to me, or people in general to be objects, I find objects to be objects. I'm genuinely confused as to what point you're trying to make?

Exentryk

One of the interesting facts about Automata’s development partnership with Platinum is that the game is largely coming from a new, younger team within the studio. It’s a team perhaps less shackled by past experiences, and as a result they’ve been able to lean into the ‘crass, weird shit’ Taro is known for and boasted of earlier – all while retaining the tight feel of a Platinum action game.

The ‘OS Chip’ item that fans found in the demo that when unequipped causes your character to instantly die without warning (how can an android survive without an operating system?) was, for instance, a Platinum pull that Yoko merely approved of.

Platinum has assimilated the Taro.

sensui-tomo

Was the final boss of Drakengard 3 that bad? I didn't play Drakengard 3 for...many reasons.

its a callback to drakengard 1's final boss, except longer. and yeah drakengard 3 kinda was meh considering i heavily disliked the dialog in the game... how the hell do we go from something that sounds more like nier's dialog (which makes sense for nier and not drakengard 3 ) to... Drakengard which has a medieval setting

i can still see nier automata getting a mixed reception even with platinum doing the gameplay. Just purely on the crazy shit Taro Yoko does in his games which will divide opinions i think.

That D3 final boss is the perfect example

LotusHD

Banned
i can still see nier automata getting a mixed reception even with platinum doing the gameplay. Just purely on the crazy shit Taro Yoko does in his games which will divide opinions i think.

That D3 final boss is the perfect example

Yea pretty much. We'll see though.

voodew

Neo Member
Where is the outrage over these cute boys? Come on! Put some shirts on!
Cz5P3_vWEAEF8-k.jpg

its a callback to drakengard 1's final boss, except longer. and yeah drakengard 3 kinda was meh considering i heavily disliked the dialog in the game... how the hell do we go from something that sounds more like nier's dialog (which makes sense for nier and not drakengard 3 ) to... Drakengard which has a medieval setting
Hmm...watching the video again I see the callback now! It's still a very strange battle to me. Music is amazing though.

Shame about the dialog though.
Where is the outrage over these cute boys? Come on! Put some shirts on!
Cz5P3_vWEAEF8-k.jpg
I don't...like these two. I finally accepted that.

Drakengard 3 final boss is amazing. And the song is really beautiful.

It takes some time to learn the pattern (or synch the YouTube video lol) but it isn't that hard. Some people just lack the patience.

those invisible notes right at the end are evil tho

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Using his quirkiness to disguise/excuse a pretty common example of sexism would be pretty shameful. In the same way that people do the same for Kojima. And you know what's funny, so many posts ITT are taking that sentence at face value but are praising it, yet the issue is when dissent occurs. It's pretty transparent.

The broader point is expecting Yoko to give a serious, politically correct answer to that question is straight-up unrealistic. Given the overall frivolous tenor of the interview its precisely the sort of non-answer you'd expect; and objectively that's exactly what it is - its not really explaining or apologizing for any aspect of the creative process involved, its a blow-off.

While I doubt Yoko would describe himself as being politically progressive (he's a 50 year old married Japanese man -hardly a demographic where that sort of political viewpoint is pervasive), nonetheless his previous works have dealt with issues of gender and sexuality in an unusually progressive manner. Emil's gayness and Kaine's aggressive assertion of her femininity despite her intersex status and a history of prejudice are details I personally find more telling than judging purely on cosmetic appearance.

I have to admit I find it troubling that the visual design of the characters in his games is getting so much comment, when in a story aspect -the aspect Yoko is most hands-on with- there are many positive aspects to discuss.

I'm sorry, but to me things like the visual novel segment in Nier dealing directly with Kaine's "difference" and her mistreatment in her community because of it, are worth vastly more than simply designing a character to visually conform to current political modes like say, Aloy in Horizon: ZD.

Such a shame that Nier isn't digital on the PSN store as i really would've liked to play it before playing Automata. And physical copies are kind of rare, unless is resort to ebay, which i really don't like doing.

Crossing Eden

The broader point is expecting Yoko to give a serious, politically correct answer to that question is straight-up unrealistic. Given the overall frivolous tenor of the interview its precisely the sort of non-answer you'd expect; and objectively that's exactly what it is - its not really explaining or apologizing for any aspect of the creative process involved, its a blow-off.

While I doubt Yoko would describe himself as being politically progressive (he's a 50 year old married Japanese man -hardly a demographic where that sort of political viewpoint is pervasive), nonetheless his previous works have dealt with issues of gender and sexuality in an unusually progressive manner. Emil's gayness and Kaine's aggressive assertion of her femininity despite her intersex status and a history of prejudice are details I personally find more telling than judging purely on cosmetic appearance.

I have to admit I find it troubling that the visual design of the characters in his games is getting so much comment, when in a story aspect -the aspect Yoko is most hands-on with- there are many positive aspects to discuss.

I'm sorry, but to me things like the visual novel segment in Nier dealing directly with Kaine's "difference" and her mistreatment in her community because of it, are worth vastly more than simply designing a character to visually conform to current political modes like say, Aloy in Horizon: ZD.
Aloy is an outsider as well, (not trans), but presumably the story is using that as justification for her personality going forward into the unknown instead of adding the the pile with yet another overly sexualized design. Even small critiques don't go a long way because Kaine is still overtly designed in the most sexualized way possible that one wonders where she even found that clothing in the first place. Like with many other aspects of sexualization there are much better ways to handle it then "she wants to feel feminine so she wears lingerie constantly." That's so fucking stupid, as stupid as "Cortana is naked because she wants to put people off guard," and "She breathes through her skin."

voodew

Neo Member
Aloy is an outsider as well, (not trans), but presumably the story is using that as justification for her personality going forward into the unknown instead of adding the the pile with yet another overly sexualized design. Even small critiques don't go a long way because Kaine is still overtly designed in the most sexualized way possible that one wonders where she even found that clothing in the first place. Like with many other aspects of sexualization there are much better ways to handle it then "she wants to feel feminine so she wears lingerie constantly." That's so fucking stupid, as stupid as "Cortana is naked because she wants to put people off guard," and "She breathes through her skin."
I personally disagree. Being trans myself I found it a powerful and relatable message that fit with her character's abrasive personality. The reveal that she'd been wearing that outfit as a huge "fuck you" to all the people who gave her shit for an aspect of herself she couldn't control was very inspiring to me.

sensui-tomo

and the game makes fun of her for her outfit, multiple times. unlike mgs unless i missed a scene where they made fun of it.

Putting in "Drakengard 3 Final Boss" nets these results among others among others heh

Drakengard 3 RANT | Branch D Final Boss: How Yoko Taro Ruined The Game

Kaos Plays: Drakengard 3 Part 33 FINAL-Horrible Boss [Rage Quit]

Drakengard 3 Final Boss: There will be failures

Drakengard 3 Playthrough - Part 47 - Worst Final Boss In Video Game History

Drakengard 3 Final Boss Rage!

I just love hearing and reading reactions to it.

I'm not disagreeing that the boss is horrible, tho i think that's intentional. You can't fuck up the camera and the beatmap this hard by accident, especially when it's a fixated scene.

It took me an entire day to beat and it required me to start a YT-Video and synch that shit with my own videogame.

A one of a kind experience. Especially because the boss and the soundtrack is so beautiful artisitcally.

Yeah, I loved the idea and that music was top-notch. But the camera angles were just waaaay too ridiculous. Darkengard 3 is the only game that I really liked and went all the way to the final boss but never finished it. For the sake of my sanity I decided to watch the ending on YT.

killatopak

Gold Member
When you die, you mysteriously leave behind a corpse like a Dark Souls bloodstain. When you reach it you can either retrieve some lost stuff from your fallen body or revive it to fight alongside you as an NPC. You can even leave bloodstain-style messages that curiously take on a haiku-style 5-7-5 syllable format alongside corpses, though Square, who aren’t yet talking about online features, wouldn’t explain what for.

Ohhhhhhh. I wonder what this is for?

With alternate endings specific for time of death. I wonder how many there are?

BumRush

Holy thread derail!

On-topic, I'm really excited about this game. The interviews, the footage, everything we've seen and heard (plus the amazing demo) have me in day 1.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Kaine dresses the way she does for herself, and noone else. Its remarked upon as being odd by Nier on their first encounter, but beyond that he remains entirely oblivious to her sexuality as does everyone else in the game with the sole exception of the curmudgeonly Weiss. Comparing her to Quiet who's sexuality is blatantly weaponized (within the fiction) is colossally missing the point.

These are literally polar opposites in terms of approach and intent.

The only commonality here is you judging purely based on a style of appearance you personally find offensive and no more. I especially find your assertion that someone adopting a particularly gendered or sexualized style of dress as an expression of self to be "fucking stupid", deeply offensive.

Its a mindset that breeds asshattery like "she was asking for it" defenses and prejudices against trans-persons generally

killatopak

Gold Member
“Generally, I just do what I’m told to really. So if Square Enix say you’re doing a NieR sequel, I say: “Oh yes okay, I’m doing a NieR sequel”. But when I’m not told, I’m quite free to experiment and try things out. For example, for the main character, no-one said you can’t give her a blindfold so I went and gave her a blindfold. Things like that! People come back afterwards and say ‘I don’t like that!’, and I say ‘Well you didn’t tell me not to do it!’ So if you give me a list of bullet points at the start, I’ll do exactly what you tell me. I’ll do anything you want.”

If you want politically correct character designs from taro then you need to specifically tell him to do so.

sonicmj1

I don't feel like I learned all that much from the interview, but I'm still very excited for the game. It's kind of fun seeing Taro and Platinum compete to see who can be the most humble about their contributions.

There's an orgy of that already in the industry, in this day and age, it's pretty problematic. And it's pretty backwards considering he at least tried to critique that aspect of it in the past.

If Yoko Taro got asked that question about Kaine before Nier came out, I expect he would have answered it the same way. That's not to say I expect you'll like 2B in the final game, but I do think there's going to be at least a little thought behind the anachronistic way these battle androids look.

chrono01

You know, given Yoko Taro's sense of humor and what I've read about his past titles, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the true reason the androids, namely 2B and A2, look the way they do is because they were originally-designed to be sex-bots.

Crossing Eden

I personally disagree. Being trans myself I found it a powerful and relatable message that fit with her character's abrasive personality. The reveal that she'd been wearing that outfit as a huge "fuck you" to all the people who gave her shit for an aspect of herself she couldn't control was very inspiring to me.
It doesn't do a lot to normalize transexuality or intersex. Especially since Kaine ends up being the butt of many jokes in the game.

and the game makes fun of her for her outfit, multiple times. unlike mgs unless i missed a scene where they made fun of it.
They point it out specifically during the sex scene. Somehow they found a burnt flower petal on her lungs, (not even gonna try and understand the implication behind that, did they fucking dissect Quiet?), Kaz points out that "she looks plenty healthy."
Kaine dresses the way she does for herself, and noone else. Its remarked upon as being odd by Nier on their first encounter, but beyond that he remains entirely oblivious to her sexuality as does everyone else in the game with the sole exception of the curmudgeonly Weiss. Comparing her to Quiet who's sexuality is blatantly weaponized (within the fiction) is colossally missing the point.

These are literally polar opposites in terms of approach and intent.

The only commonality here is you judging purely based on a style of appearance you personally find offensive and no more. I especially find your assertion that someone adopting a particularly gendered or sexualized style of dress as an expression of self to be "fucking stupid", deeply offensive.

Its a mindset that breeds asshattery like "she was asking for it" defenses and prejudices against trans-persons generally
Ok concerning the bolded, holy fuck that's a HUGE leap, secondly, Kaine is a character designed to be that way, Cortana chooses to be naked too. Like I said before, that entire aspect of her design could be done much better than dressing her in ridiculous lingerie. Just like Quiet breathing through her skin doesn't mean she doesn't have to wear ripped leggings and a thong. These designs could be done much better, they always can be but they always fall to the lowest common denominator. In fact, I feel like shit character design like that has a negative effect, hence the transphobic shit like "bests traps in gaming," thread solely based on gameplay, having people post pictures of characters like Kaine.

Dantis

Kaine is designed the way she is in order to make a point to the player, because that's the kind of shit Taro likes to do.
From an in-world perspective, her design is dumb and terrible.

Zolo

It doesn't do a lot to normalize transexuality or intersex. Especially since Kaine ends up being the butt of many jokes in the game.

? Like what? I know there's that one remark about her outfit when first met, but I didn't notice Kaine being on the butt of them any more than the rest of the party.

Zyrox

Glad I clicked this thread to see the Drakengard 3 Final Boss video. That's pure fuckery haha. Love stuff like that. I'd be totally okay with Nier:A having such a finale as well :3
when the screen turned dark I was like "there's totally gonna be another note incoming" and sure enough there was. Pure evil lol
Think I'm gonna enjoy Yoko Taro's brand of weirdness in Nier: A.

Crossing Eden

? Like what? I know there's that one remark about her outfit when first met, but I didn't notice Kaine being on the butt of them any more than the rest of the party.
Because Weiss is an asshole. Actually, you know it sucks that the bar for gaming is literally that low that Kaine is considered a positive. We need more devs to seriously humanize transexuality and not with a literal wall of text. :|

Famassu

TBH I get real sad when I see all the sex negativity. I know it's a generation difference but I hate seeing "You Millenials and your damn butts are bad!!". Not trying to derail the thread more. Not watching the video because I don't wanna be spoiled on much before the game comes out. I could read yokos interviews forever tho.
It's not sex negativity. It's just that it's kinda pathetic that some devs think every game needs to have asses, panties and jiggly boobs shoved in the players' faces every five second to hold their interest. Sex is great and sexy and/or scandily clad characters aren't inherently bad but there's a way to handle them that doesn't cheapen the characters & the game. Just take something like Heavenly Sword. Say what you say about the quality of the game otherwise, but Nariko is a pretty striking character design that most people don't have too many problems with even though she doesn't have all that much clothes on and I'd argue that's mostly because it doesn't treat the character like it's just a piece of tits & ass, ever. If you're a perv, then you'll probably find moments where you can find yourself... enjoying looking at her or whatever, but the game itself treats her with some modicum of respect and restraint, so people who want to enjoy a wuxia-inspired tragic story aren't ripped out of the experience when the game suddenly decides to show boobs comically jiggling on screen. There are no cheap tit shots every chance possible. It doesn't need to zoom in on her ass to keep pervs interested.

It's also about believability. While these are crazy fantasy games and have tons of shit that is nowhere near the realm of realistic, it still looks extremely dumb when it's usually just the female characters go into battle in 10 inch heels wearing mini-skirts that flap so much that you get panty-shots every 0.5 seconds and a revealing top and the camera zooms into the ass & jiggly boobs of the characters every five seconds.

It's also about context. No one minds games like Senran Kagura having T 'n' A to go around a whole block or 100. There's nothing wrong with a manga like Berserk depicting fucktons of orgies with hundreds of boobies and asses to go around since it fits the context of the story/setting (in most cases). But Yoko Taro's games are dark games with themes of war, human extinction, sacrifice etc. I just don't think they are games where the kind of cheap, in-your-face sexualization & fan service should have any place in.

pezzie

It's not sex negativity. It's just that it's kinda pathetic that some devs think every game needs to have asses, panties and jiggly boobs shoved in the players' faces every five second to hold their interest. Sex is great and sexy and/or scandily clad characters aren't inherently bad but there's a way to handle them that doesn't cheapen the characters & the game. Just take something like Heavenly Sword. Say what you say about the quality of the game otherwise, but Nariko is a pretty striking character design that most people don't have too many problems with even though she doesn't have all that much clothes on and I'd argue that's mostly because it doesn't treat the character like it's just a piece of tits & ass, ever. If you're a perv, then you'll probably find moments where you can find yourself... enjoying looking at her or whatever, but the game itself treats her with some modicum of respect and restraint, so people who want to enjoy a wuxia-inspired tragic story aren't ripped out of the experience when the game suddenly decides to show boobs comically jiggling on screen. There are no cheap tit shots every chance possible. It doesn't need to zoom in on her ass to keep pervs interested.

It's also about believability. While these are crazy fantasy games and have tons of shit that is nowhere near the realm of realistic, it still looks extremely dumb when it's usually just the female characters go into battle in 10 inch heels wearing mini-skirts that flap so much that you get panty-shots every 0.5 seconds and a revealing top and the camera zooms into the ass & jiggly boobs of the characters every five seconds.

It's also about context. No one minds games like Senran Kagura having T 'n' A to go around a whole block or 100. There's nothing wrong with a manga like Berserk depicting fucktons of orgies with hundreds of boobies and asses to go around since it fits the context of the story/setting (in most cases). But Yoko Taro's games are dark games with themes of war, human extinction, sacrifice etc. I just don't think they are games where the kind of cheap, in-your-face sexualization & fan service should have any place in.

Sure. But on the other hand, 2B has one fine butt.

Top Bottom