• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Interview w/ Saito, Taro, Taura & Preview

Raptor

You missed the crux of the issue. No one is saying you can't say that you like women now. Consider the context of that statement in the way it was made and similar comments made by devs before.

But my comment was not "kneejerk" reaction, is a serious expression of me thinking it could be a problem in being honest and saying the reason he designed a "game character" in a sexy way, that is all.

Like I dont see past his response, I dont see or read between lines or see an "implication" as you call it, I just see it as it is nothing more.

But if you or anyone has any problem with it I guess I just disagree with suprise in my face thats all.

Love that we're going to be able to pick select music to play with the jukebox.
The biggest missed opportunity in Drakengard 3 was how there was this gorgeous soundtrack, but you'd only be able to fully appreciate it when you're in intoner mode, which is generally around 15 seconds per stage.

I'm glad there's a conscious effort to let you appreciate the music in the game.

Oh god. Well here we go again in this thread. It was nice while it lasted.
I'm genuinely disappointed that all threads going forward on the game will now have perpetual derail attempts.

Setsu00

He can totally say that, I have no problem with it. It's just good to always keep in mind that the way we behave and the things we make contribute to something much bigger than our individual selves. Even though I don't agree with Eden's specific points, I appreciate that he's considering the game in an larger context than just purely the game itself.

I absolutely agree with that, but I can't help but think that there is some cherrypicking involved here. There are more things to consider than just this statement by Taro, such as his aforementioned comment about wanting to make a game about an old lady and her knee problems or the presence of the shirtless Eve and (sometimes) shirtless Adam. This doesn't even begin to tackle the question how much of Taro's answers can actually be taken at face value.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But my comment was not "kneejerk" reaction, is a serious expression of me thinking it could be a problem in being honest and saying the reason he designed a "game character" in a sexy way, that is all.

Like I dont see past his response, I dont see or read between lines or see an "implication" as you call it, I just see it as it is nothing more.

But if you or anyone has any problem with it I guess I just disagree with suprise in my face thats all.
He didn't say he designed the character to be sexy. His response to why the character was so sexualized was "because he loves women." The wording matters. Like I said, (and i've already explained why I find it a bit problematic), think harder about it.

I'm genuinely disappointed that all threads going forward on the game will now have perpetual derail attempts.
There have been like six Nier threads in the past three days. How're they being perpetually derailed?

Man I wish I could give Yoko Taro a hug lol.

But back on topic, I wonder what's up with the supposed special moves you get depending on what weapons you have equipped. Sounds interesting.

sensui-tomo

He didn't say he designed the character to be sexy. His response to why the character was so sexualized was "because he loves women." The wording matters. Like I said, (and i've already explained why I find it a bit problematic), think harder about it.

There have been like six Nier threads in the past three days. How're they being perpetually derailed?

Through the effects of super hyperbole or something, hell I havent seen you in a Nier automata thread since.... the tgs2016 trailer thread or something else... and i think we've at least 15+ threads since then.

Raptor

I wont because there is nothing to think, he likes women, thats why its "sexualized".

I wont look for a problem where there aint one to begin with.

raven777

I think the chemistry of the trio (Yoko Taro, Saito and Taura) works really well together. Saito and Taura keeps balance to Taro's crazy comments.

Astarte

The biggest missed opportunity in Drakengard 3 was how there was this gorgeous soundtrack, but you'd only be able to fully appreciate it when you're in intoner mode, which is generally around 15 seconds per stage.

I'm glad there's a conscious effort to let you appreciate the music in the game.

15 seconds unless you unlock the red dress which allows for a permanent intoner mode (you have to continually reactivate it though)

Cooooooooonnnnnnnntttttttttteeeeeeexxxxxxxxtttttttttttttttttttt.

By that logic, he really thinks the ending is shit and he's serious about the game probably being awful.

He's being tongue-in-cheek. It does not take a genius to figure out that, coupled with Taro's past behavior, 2B's design is deliberately sexy. As a result, there isn't a need to take his words literally, as they're incredibly dependent on context. Thus, no need to read into the "I love women!" exclamation; the whole meaning behind the statement is obvious to anyone who's paid the slightest attention to anything else he's said in the last couple of months.

Crossing Eden

Through the effects of super hyperbole or something, hell I havent seen you in a Nier automata thread since.... the tgs2016 trailer thread or something else... and i think we've at least 15+ threads since then.
Exactly, that's a pretty blatant persecution complex.

I wont because there is nothing to think, he likes women, thats why its "sexualized".

I wont look for a problem where there aint one to begin with.
And therein lies the issue. The same issue that behind Tabata's thinking at that one ATR.

Cooooooooonnnnnnnntttttttttteeeeeeexxxxxxxxtttttttttttttttttttt.

By that logic, he really thinks the ending is shit and he's serious about the game probably being awful.

He's being tongue-in-cheek. It does not take a genius to figure out that, coupled with Taro's past behavior, 2B's design is deliberately sexy. As a result, there isn't a need to take his words literally, as they're incredibly dependent on context. Thus, no need to read into the "I love women!" exclamation; the whole meaning behind the statement is obvious to anyone who's paid the slightest attention to anything else he's said in the last couple of months.
Refer to the post about how unlike his other comments which are WILDLY exaggerated and self deprecating the context of that quote seems benign in comparison.

V_Arnold

There is a reason why it is productive to talk about TRENDS in video games while using examples, and why it is NOT productive to question certain games why they do X or Y.

I would LOVE to see someone use the same rigor they go against Nier's female designs to go against Call of Duty's fetishization of war and guns and shooting, or go against Division's authorian propaganda. Go ahead, I am waiting.

There is space to have sexy game designs without actively trying to opress anyone that wants more variety in games. You will not get innovation and sex-negative games from these japanese developers. Not from Taro, not from Kamiya, and certainly not from Kojima either.

Refer to the post about how unlike his other comments which are WILDLY exaggerated and self deprecating the context of that quote seems benign in comparison.

If you simply do not interpret the way Taro speaks as whimsical and subject to context, then I guess I have nothing to discuss. To me, that line's perfectly in line with what he's said and done so far.

Battlechili

Banned
Yoko Taro is my favorite game developer
The ending is gonna be crap
But don't fall for his lies.
He thinks that all his games are terrible and he often talks down on himself. The ending will probably be magnificent. Would not even mind if he went full on Drakengard 3 with the ending.

sensui-tomo

Sigh...this thread was going so well too. Oh well.
we have how many other threads that are going well, hell to put it in terms of how hyperbole this is , we've only had 2 "meh" nier threads(if we count this one) with this logic... so far threads havent been in a " Oh well bye bye thread" state, ever. Christ this hyperbole is bad. If you dont focus on one poster and continue to post about the stuff in the topic guess what, you can drown out the stuff you dont want to hear...
But no people have to focus on a negative point to them and attack the person for it and make the thread about one person's disagreement about the game.
on a side note, I wonder if Yoko Taro was ever able to play Undertale, he expressed great interest in playing it but couldnt because a japanese translation wasnt available at that time.

Crossing Eden

That was actually Ofuji, not Tabata.
I'm aware, but it's not like the dude disagreed with him, especially with the way women were written in FFXV and everything involving Cindy, but let's not get into that....

If you simply do not interpret the way Taro speaks as whimsical and subject to context, then I guess I have nothing to discuss. To me, that line's perfectly in line with what he's said and done so far.
Servbot explained it well on the last page.

Hopefully this thread gets back on track before it gets shut down, but I do love to read Yoko Taro's interviews. Their so funny and original compared to the usual marketing interviews done from developers. Can't wait for the game.

Pejo

Gold Member
Hilarious interview, Taro's the man.

Do not regret my Black Box edition pre-order at all, other than likely receiving it a few days late from release.

I'm expecting this game to be special, sorry Taro.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's the same implication as when the CD of FFXV said it's contradictory to want a non sexualized female party member. Subsequently, quotes like that imply that NOT having that mindset overtly means that you must not love the opposite gender enough.
Which let's be honest, gets reiterated near constantly in equality threads what with the accusations that we all just must hate breasts.

I'll be honest I had the demo and tried to do the whole butt flash with the camera, but couldn't and I think her outfit is very elegant. It's not some crazy thing like Bayonetta or Cindy from FFXV. Cindy from FFXV is straight up untasteful, they could have given her like some mechanic overall's that accent her figure but didn't go all out sexualized.

I think the outfit is fine if a little out of place, looks like something you would see in the Victorian era, almost something french.

Tohsaka

Still on the fence about whether to import it to get it early or just wait the two weeks. Importing would be about $75 with shipping, which is $27 more than I'd pay getting it from Amazon US since I have Prime. On the other hand, it'd be nice to be able to play through it before Zelda is out.

LotusHD

Banned
Still on the fence about whether to import it to get it early or just wait the two weeks. Importing would be about $75 with shipping, which is $27 more than I'd pay getting it from Amazon US since I have Prime. On the other hand, it'd be nice to be able to play through it before Zelda is out.

I think I'll remain strong and wait out the two weeks.
Don't hold me to that.

Crossing Eden

I'll be honest I had the demo and tried to do the whole butt flash with the camera, but couldn't and I think her outfit is very elegant. It's not some crazy thing like Bayonetta or Cindy from FFXV. Cindy from FFXV is straight up untasteful, they could have given her like some mechanic overall's that accent her figure but didn't go all out sexualized.

I think the outfit is fine if a little out of place, looks like something you would see in the Victorian era, almost something french.
A dress like that wouldn't exist in the Victorian era, it's a modern interpretation of Victorian fashion, lookup Victorian halloween costume dress in google and you'll find many dresses of similar length. And yes 2B isn't as egregious as Cindy or Quiet but she's still pretty egregious what with the white leotard and boob window.

I think I'll remain strong and wait out the two weeks.
Don't hold me to that.
You're much stronger than me lol. Decided I want to double dip so I can play it two weeks early. Had to buy a 10,000 yen PSN card though. That really hurt my wallet

Probably gonna triple dip with the PC version comes out too RIP

LotusHD

Banned
You're much stronger than me lol. Decided I want to double dip so I can play it two weeks early. Had to buy a 10,000 yen PSN card though. That really hurt my wallet

Probably gonna triple dip with the PC version comes out too RIP

I got it for $40, I should probably appreciate the cash I saved. But like I said, don't hold me to that. Like if the people who import are all saying it's a masterpiece or something, that could easily sway me lol

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

a6olOoK.jpg

Papacheeks

Banned
A dress like that wouldn't exist in the Victorian era, it's a modern interpretation of Victorian fashion, lookup Victorian halloween costume dress in google and you'll find many dresses of similar length. And yes 2B isn't as egregious as Cindy or Quiet but she's still pretty egregious what with the white leotard and boob window.

I don't think it's an issue And think it's a step in the right direction for Japanese art direction.

Just my opinion of course.

I would like to point out that Akihiko Yoshida is the one who designed 2B and most of the characters in Nier: Automata. Unless you were there or have a source, there is no way of knowing what exactly Yoko Taro asked of him in terms of design.

Also keep in mind that AFAIK Yoko Taro is one of the few Japanese developers to speak in favor of LGBT rights and gay marriage in Japan.

True Fire

NieR Automata threads are going to be a mess lol. I can already see a Platinum fan making a thread complaining that the game wasn't what they wanted. Not to mention the arguments over the ending (I have no idea what the endings will be, but I know they'll be controversial).

(but any publicity is good publicity for NieR tbh, nobody talked about the first game)

Dinda

Ugh that implication.....
giphy.gif

So Crossing Eden, before you derailed the thread did you actually watch the video with the question? Because i think it makes a big difference that he was asked "is there a reason for her looks or do you just like her that way" (not in these exact same words.)

He was just asked is it the former or the latter and he basically said it's the latter.

Top Bottom