• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbortz78

I've only played for a bit, and the arrival of Zelda later today will undoubtedly put the kibosh on much more for a while.

There's much that I love about the game thus far, but at the same time I feel like I'm pretty crap at it. For instance (spoilers below for a mission a couple of hours in to the game):

There's a story mission relatively early on where the outpost you've been recovering in is attacked by a large spider-esque robot that corrupts the more peaceful grazing robots. I flailed around enormously in this battle and felt like I only won it through attrition; it moved too fast for me to shoot its weak points without going into concentration mode (which is very short), this barely did any damage to it anyway, and the various elemental things I had to hand (fire arrows, freeze bombs, and electric tripwires) didn't really do anything to it. Perhaps that's the point - at this stage I'm supposed to feel helpless against the Machines and their growing aggression - but I mostly felt like I was shite at the game!

I used the ropecaster and freeze bomb and some tripwires, made it much easier to handle.

Dinjooh

The hype finally got me and I bought in yesterday.

4 hours in and I think this game is fucking amazing.

Just done with the
proving
part - the info dump afterwards makes this world even more intriguing.

IT`S SO FUCKING GOOD!

Probably around the same point where I went; yeaa I need to clear my schedule this sunday.

Makikou

I've only played for a bit, and the arrival of Zelda later today will undoubtedly put the kibosh on much more for a while.

There's much that I love about the game thus far, but at the same time I feel like I'm pretty crap at it. For instance (spoilers below for a mission a couple of hours in to the game):

There's a story mission relatively early on where the outpost you've been recovering in is attacked by a large spider-esque robot that corrupts the more peaceful grazing robots. I flailed around enormously in this battle and felt like I only won it through attrition; it moved too fast for me to shoot its weak points without going into concentration mode (which is very short), this barely did any damage to it anyway, and the various elemental things I had to hand (fire arrows, freeze bombs, and electric tripwires) didn't really do anything to it. Perhaps that's the point - at this stage I'm supposed to feel helpless against the Machines and their growing aggression - but I mostly felt like I was shite at the game!

You can buy the Ropecaster that helps. Basically stops it right on it's tracks instead of wrecking you. Also be sure to scan it with your Focus for weakspots. You can then read more about it in the Notebook mid-fight.

Protip:
Use fire arrows, corrupted machines such as the Demon you mentioned or any other corrupted machine is weak to Fire arrows + they have also their normal weakspots like Watcher's have their eye.

deoee

Are you sure? I haven't tried getting rid of quest markers but you can disable so much stuff..

I tried turning off the quest floaters (even before the custom ui settings) and waypoints but always off keeps them on.

Or I'm misinterpreting it and by quest and waypoint markers the game understands something else

Deactivate the quest?

But I want it on the compass.
Just no floating symbols :)

Arklite

I don't know what the other difficulties are like, but very hard seems great at making creatures as scary/formidable as you'd think they'd be. Tall grass is overpowered but I'll take it as a lifeline for when a plan goes south.

Pachimari

I'm seriously thinking of buying this game now, but does it have more interesting stuff than just the combat and encounters with that robots? Are the ways of taking them down varied?

Ferr986

You can buy the Ropecaster that helps. Basically stops it right on it's tracks instead of wrecking you. Also be sure to scan it with your Focus for weakspots. You can then read more about it in the Notebook mid-fight.

Protip:
Use fire arrows, corrupted machines such as the Demon you mentioned or any other corrupted machine is weak to Fire arrows + they have also their normal weakspots like Watcher's have their eye.

I used the ropecaster with that fucker but it didnt work, I dont know if its because I suck or because hard mode. But yeah had to kill him firing fire arrows while rolling.

Breakaway

Even at right at the beginning of a game you can buy a War Bow that uses Shock arrows, if that's what you mean?

Really useful versus. Scrappers because it's 1 hit kill and it EMP shocks every robot in the vicinity of the Scrapper.
That's the name of it. The one I saw did shock, fire, and I think corruption, so it was just an upgraded variant of the War Bow, then. Thinking about giving it a try later, though I'm liking the Hunter + Sharpshot combo so far.

Hey guys, where is
the metal flower collectible in the first ruin you run around in as young Aloy?

I've run around there quite a bit and can't seem to find it.

le.phat

This is the most fun i had in a game since Monster hunter 4. The combat is so enjoyable!

This game might displace Bloodborne as my favourite game of the generation. And the visuals, most beautiful game ever ?

OléGunner;231400809 said:
Hey guys, where is
the metal flower collectible in the first ruin you run around in as young Aloy?

I've run around there quite a bit and can't seem to find it.

Hidden behind a breakable set of stalactites just before the staircase up. I missed it twice too

deoee

Early exploration spoilers:

I found a bunker with some sort of Power Armor in it. I need some power cells to open int. Am I right in assuming I will naturally come across them as part of the world or do I have to do something at the moment I find the Armor?

Binabik15

I'm, uh, testing this before giving it to my brother (not my fault he stood me up) and I'm really glad I bought into the hype. This is how open world games should PLAY. If AssCreed combat was half as fun as this is with only three enemy types challenged so far, man, I wouldd actually play them. Level 5, normal, no aim assist and the Scrappers from their central lair kick my butt (which is weird, since I managed the speared one and his buddies in a few tries). Love it.

However, in regard to those critters, they're not in my bestiary anymore. During the first side quest I had them
- with the header "cauldron" to boot. Now I'm really wondering what cauldrons are, especially after reading just the word a couple of times in this thread. I will let myself be surprised, though.

Vanmunt

Banned
In regards to selling stuff like lenses to traders is it really a problem as you can buy them back when you need them. I have been using the traders as extra storage for all the stuff I don't need yet. Is anyone else doing this or am I going to end up with problems?

abd

Early exploration spoilers:

I found a bunker with some sort of Power Armor in it. I need some power cells to open int. Am I right in assuming I will naturally come across them as part of the world or do I have to do something at the moment I find the Armor?

You will be sent to where the power cells are, but you will have to search for them.

idonteven

horizonzerodawn_20170lps2t.png
LOVE THIS GAME

jrcbandit

So what does sticky bombs do for upgraded blast sling besides the obvious sticks to enemy and explodes? I can't think of any advantage for that over the regular blast sling ammo. I'm not rolling in money yet so I have to pick my weapon upgrades wisely.

nOoblet16

I used the ropecaster with that fucker but it didnt work, I dont know if its because I suck or because hard mode. But yeah had to kill him firing fire arrows while rolling.
The larger the enemy the more ropes you need, and the time they stay down will be shorter if you attack the enemy while they are down.

Dame

Damn that Ot is legend'ry. I'd fail to come up with an even semi-witty one myself.

This game is quite fun so far. Very glad i purchased. Can confirm the hype is indeed real.

Didn't have much time to play last night, but I got past The P
roving
, and got to the part where we were
defending the gates
against the
Corrupted
and all of its cronies. Died there a couple of times but it was late and I was falling asleep so I turned it off and I'll try it again tomorrow night.

kyser73

I'm seriously thinking of buying this game now, but does it have more interesting stuff than just the combat and encounters with that robots? Are the ways of taking them down varied?

Yes, and its entirely down to how you want to approach the fights.

For some, when you can do some tactical planning for the encounter, you can lay traps, tripwires & goad the robos into them, leaving you free to land the crit hit.

Other times they'll surprise you and you'll be reliant on your wits and improvisational skill - being mugged by several watchers and a bigger robo? Use the takeover device to turn at least one watcher to your side, and it'll attack the others, and some of them will focus on it, leaving you free to flank them or attach the big guy.

Using the bestiary to learn elemental weaknesses is essential too - it doesn't make the combat easier, but it makes you more effective at it.

Don't be put off by how OP the stealth kill is early on either. It doesn't last.

Arklite

Man what an intro to the
stalker
type enemy, lmao. That thief got quick scoped and then I had to deal with that crazy thing.

Ferr986

The larger the enemy the more ropes you need, and the time they stay down will be shorter if you attack the enemy while they are down.

Thanks! I think I used 2 on the same target? but not sure, I never used them before that fight so I was kinda on "panic mode" throwing everything I had lol

I'll practice tonight with random enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom