• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Imagine co-op Witcher-style monster contracts ala Redmaw? More legendary machines. Hunting them with a friend. That'd be mega awesome.

That would be so awesome! Please, GG, make it happen!

The gameplay is so good, I want to lay traps while my allies help lure the monster to them.

Hell, it would be Sony's Monster Hunter essentially! :D

shiba5

Had a cool moment where a thunderjaw was practically exposed cause I removed all the armor plate, I did a critical hit and he would run away wimpiring in pain.

I hit a herd of 10 Tramplers (part of a quest) with some blast bombs and the whole herd went up in the biggest explosion I've ever seen. They were all almost dead, staggering around, and trying to limp away.

this game may have all the trapping of open world games, like tons of quest and icons and collectibles in the map that distract you from the main quest. but the combat really make those flaws irrelevant for me.

the sidequests didn't do anything different than other open world game where it's basically go to point A and fight enemy B etc, but while I got really bored at the smaller sidequest in Witcher 3 for example to the point of intentionally avoid activating the quest altogether. here in Horizon, I'm eager to do those quest and errand, because the combat make it satisfying enough that it's more than just a distraction from the main quest. finishing a sidequest in Horizon could mean a really epic showdown with multiple robots where you barely survived.

also, the map is not too big and dense enough that I don't feel the need to use a mount to go anywhere. there's always a pack of robots or crafting items or collectibles or errands etc along the way that you never feel like you're just walking mindlessly in between quest marker. compare this to FF XV, another open world game that I like, but I could never go anywhere without using car fast travel or chocobo, because the map is so big, your running speed is simply not fast enough to go everywhere on foot without feeling like you're wasting your time.

Just finished after 2 weeks, over 40 hours, and what a finale and ending. The feels. Fantastic and highly engaging and fun game with a cool world.

Welp just got the Shield-Weaver outfit, time to be invincible I guess
Funny - its my bday rn (turned an hour ago) so its like a present from GG - I got the outfit lol - th-th-thanks

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are hardpoint arrows essentially the replacement for the regular arrows? Same bow, same "magazine", same super cheap/basic ingredients to craft (just a few more), just all-around better.

eizarus

Banned
I hit a herd of 10 Tramplers (part of a quest) with some blast bombs and the whole herd went up in the biggest explosion I've ever seen. They were all almost dead, staggering around, and trying to limp away.
Not as impressive as that one, but I had a moment last night where I attacked a group of 3 grazers, and trampled to death with my striders melee attack. The closest one to me was about to attack and for a moment seemed to pause like it was weighing it's option and then ran off. Don't think I've ever seen AI behave like that in a game.

C5-ZV6KVAAEplFp.jpg:large

bae

Pjsprojects

Just got to the part where your searching a blokes house and drop a heavy pallet onto a big locked door.
So prior to that was my first Tallneck creature and that T-Rex thing.
What a game!

Kaizer

Banned
Man, just finished my first Cauldron - that was both tense & a little creepy! I was so happy I made the decision to buy the "sniper bow" prior to going in there - was a lifesaver for the earlier skirmishes before reaching the core.

Then immediately afterwards, I headed for a campfire to save my game & happened by a group with a broken down caravan. Got immediatedly ambushed by enemies, including one I'd never seen before & THEN went to go search for a guy who stole from the caravan and had an epic battle against another new enemy - the Stalker! Had no idea The Predator would be in this game, but man was that fun - died twice before I finally took it out.

So far I'm about 16 hours in at Lvl. 15 & just taking my time to explore/do sidequests before continuing the narrative.

zkorejo

About 5hrs in, just became a seeker...This game....THIS GAME!

That sounds a bit weird when you put it like that. I really hate the people of Nora (except Rost and Mother Teresa). They shun her, throw stones at her, pass rude comments all her life and when they get their asses whooped... "You're the Seeker... save us now.... please".

Ulong

On a quest objective "search the inn for information about gaven". I have been attempting to do so for a few minutes now, obsessively scanning the very small area with my focus, and can not find anything to save my life.

Razgreez

That sounds a bit weird when you put it like that. I really hate the people of Nora (except Rost and Mother Teresa). They shun her, throw stones at her, pass rude comments all her life and when they get their asses whooped... "You're the Seeker... save us now.... please".

A metaphor for mankind throughout the ages

Radec

The guard officer or something that you talked to to open the gate right before the
Corruptor
shows,.. I want to put 10 arrows on his face.

Raybunny

This morning before work reached the
core of the first Cauldron. Reminded me of the Destiny expansion alot. Love it.
. After a couple of tries time run out and I put the ps4 to rest.
Will mine the field with electrical cables and mines and all sort of things before deactivating the shield.

Spent a good majority of my day playing. I honestly can not recall the last time I was so easily captivated by a game. I'm finding myself falling in love with every aspect of this game, even the parts that I would typically hate in other RPGs. I'm utilizing everything at my disposal from weapons to rocks, traps to the Focus, and it's not at all overwhelming to me - it's actually exciting! Moreover, I'm not finding myself rushing at all to get through battles. I'm taking the time to think out attack strategies before jumping in, which is something I typically never have the patience for. This game has broken me in a beautiful way.

Also, the storytelling is so well done. I'm genuinely rooting for Aloy, and ensuring her safety and success feels like a personal mission at this point. She's such a strong yet lovable lead, and the world that she's in is filled with a really intriguing lore with some great characters to support it.

For reference: my progress is 14% completed, and A Seeker at the Gates is my current main quest. I've been doing a lot of side stuff.

Xeteh

Whats the best bow to use? And do the other weapons come in handy at all?

There isn't really a "better" bow aside from the upgraded versions of each type. Machines have different weaknesses and one bow doesn't cover all of them. I end up using all of them at some point.

BeeDog

Haven't gotten around to play a lot, but I've done most quests up until the first tallneck. So far, what has surprised me the most (despite reading opinions on it beforehand) was just how captivating the characters are, like Olin, the guy you talk to that protected the sun priest, etc. While the voice acting isn't the best I've heard, it's still really good in general and the plain writing comes off as very emotive.

I honestly never, ever thought GG had this in them, despite their hiring spree. Good stuff, good stuff.

Sorry if this has been asked a bajillion times, but I'm trying to avoid spoils. If an Inventory resource item is listed only as: Trading w/ merchant and selling for shards under "used for". It means I should just sell it right? I don't ever need watcher lens, sawtooth hearts or luminous brandings ect ect.

This would help my inventory a lot! Thanks!!

KZObsessed

Just finished the proving. Really like the "reveal." It was surprising but I don't know what I expected from such a primitive superstitious tribe. It makes sense, it was great.

MomoMura

Sorry if this has been asked a bajillion times, but I'm trying to avoid spoils. If an Inventory resource item is listed only as: Trading w/ merchant and selling for shards under "used for". It means I should just sell it right? I don't ever need watcher lens, sawtooth hearts or luminous brandings ect ect.

if you really feel confident you won't be needing those pieces to buy armor or weapons later, or if you feel like you can just go get them if you need them later, then yeah I would just sell it.

Don't sell them, you'll need them to craft stuff later. Selling for shards item are the only 100% safe to sell. I've been doing it and I've never short on shards so far. Unless if you know which item that you won't need as you won't craft stuff using them, maybe you can sell them.

the trading for merchant could be useful, some weapon and armor you buy from merchant require additional item like watcher lens.

if it's just 'selling for shards' you can safely sell those.

although imo, you can probably sell those trading item, just keep a few just in case you need it later.

Was there a better/easier way of taking down the first
Cauldron boss
robo than using the tripwire then melee once it's down? The bow did little damage otherwise. How do I freeze or shock with the bow (if possible) or is that a little later in the game?

silva1991

I didn't expect the difficulty to jump like this in the desert area.

I seriously have no confident in beating monsters there atm and just looking for merchants for some supplies.

Only sell the ones that says "selling for shards" only

As for the ones that has trading options you might need them to get better weapons/armor later

I can't believe for a game with so much loot and very limited space, they didn't put inventory chests in the world like in Witcher 3 or Bathesda RPGs.

Wagram

The hunting challenge where you need to take off the Thunderjaw's weapon and use it on the two Ravager's while being mauled by Watcher's was pretty tough. Took several tries. I'm sure it would have been much easier if you do it very late game.

Breakaway

Was there a better/easier way of taking down the first
Cauldron boss
robo than using the tripwire then melee once it's down? The bow did little damage otherwise. How do I freeze or shock with the bow (if possible) or is that a little later in the game?
I used the blast wire myself and thought it was pretty easy, but you could also use the sling for shock/frost damage. I'm pretty sure I saw a specific bow that does elemental damage at a merchant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom