• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draper

My only complaint about the Switch is that it's almost too goo...

Wait no, the volume on this thing is garbage, at least on my unit.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Thought it was cute that some Japanese bought a mini-easel instead of the stand,
C6AjBAGUYAAxcSg.jpg

C6I1t7fUsAAOXIR.jpg
https://twitter.com/minami_apa/status/838291561406316544/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

deoee

For new page

It plays and runs great. I've had no issues playing it with the joycons either (the Pro Controller is amazing for it though).

If you do get it, get it from the Mexican eshop, it's only $12 there (for some reason) for the Treasure Pack.

Can anyone help an European out with getting this sweet deal?

There's not really a way of paying sadly

Future

So, for someone looking for a great portable gaming machine (Splatoon 2 & Mario Kart 8 on the go), is the Switch a worthy investment this moment, or is it a 'wait and see' system in hopes of future updates bettering the hardware? I have the chance of affording it next paycheck, so want to make sure it's worth investing into. The overall issues do have me worried, though.

I'd wait if you are tight on money to make sure it's supported as a handheld. I know it's releasing as a console but I see it as a handheld with a a dock system for occasional tv play. Games like shovel knight look great on it, so if it can get typical Nintendo handheld massive support along with the occasional console easy port support...then this will be perfect for the handheld player IMO.

I actually want to purchase content for this because of how nice it is as a handheld and how smooth the transition to tv play actually is. Hopefully they release a "mini" dock at some point. I'd like to not carry that chunk of plastic around and simply have a USB 3 to hdmi and power source for on the go play....hell even simply moving it around the house.

Maximo

So, for someone looking for a great portable gaming machine (Splatoon 2 & Mario Kart 8 on the go), is the Switch a worthy investment this moment, or is it a 'wait and see' system in hopes of future updates bettering the hardware? I have the chance of affording it next paycheck, so want to make sure it's worth investing into. The overall issues do have me worried, though.

It is 100% a wait and see, if you can wait I would wait till the summer or even a few years for a hardware vision.

ZZMitch

For me it was a pretty easy decision since I do not own a Wii U and did not have the opportunity to play stuff like Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon on the go or at home. If you already have a Wii U or money is tight then waiting is fine.

j-wood

The folding material should absolutely go on top of the screen, otherwise there's nothing offering cushion/protection for the analogs.

That's what I thought. What bothers me is that means the outside logos are basically backwards and it makes me open the case what feels like upside down (with the Nintendo logo up top)

Arkaium

Neo Member
That's what I thought. What bothers me is that means the outside logos are basically backwards and it makes me open the case what feels like upside down (with the Nintendo logo up top)

I put it in with the case's Switch logo on top and it works fine. The flap seems to have a crease that suggests it's intended to work that way, at least from my experience.

Can you guys link me a good screen protector? My switch comes in this week and I don't want to scratch it when I take it in and out of the dock.

RGB Range is broken, limited and Full do the same exact thing.

Now I can change it on my tv but I have no frame of reference to know which is correct. With my PS4, the RGB menu is a certain type of black, either too dark, dark but transparent, or grey. So using those three option I know to pick the middle one (PS4 setting in conjunction with my tv settings)

Because its broken on the Switch, its either washed out, or if I change my tv setting its really dark (using the quick sleep menu as a reference). I don't know if the dark setting is blacker than black because theres only two options.

I've been playing Zelda with limited range this entire time, fuck. Definitely looked washed out but I didn't clue in.

Help.

sadromeo

Can you guys link me a good screen protector? My switch comes in this week and I don't want to scratch it when I take it in and out of the dock.

I've read this glass screen protector is good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Unfortunately they are not in stock right now.

I just purchased the standard Hori (not premium): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR725H2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But, I am not sure if I should wait until the glass one comes back in stock and get that one instead.

Theswweet

I've been playing Breath of the Wild mostly in handheld mode... then I decided to play it docked for a little bit earlier. Jesus, people weren't kidding about undocked running the game a lot more smoothly... I wish there was an option to play it docked at 720p.

Feeroper

What are the best screen protectors so far? Granted it's only been a handful of days. I hear the Hori premium one is not good.

I got the official carrying case that came with a screen protector but I'm not very good at putting them on and have a couple air bubbles I can't get rid of. I have it now with as few as I could manage and want to keep it on for now to avoid dock scratching, but I'm consider getting a different screen protector if there is something out there.

Barryman

Seeing all the negative Switch topics on the front page bums me out, my Switch experience has been great so far! It's not perfect but I love the hybrid nature of the console.

I believe that we're going to see a machine on the Switch line that will be a legit contender in the home console space and as a portable. We're not there yet, but this definitely isn't just a handheld. It truly is a hybrid, and that's what makes the Switch experience so fun and personal.

Has anyone ever seen the Home button light up? According to diagrams it's supposed to light up when there's a notification. I've gotten a gazillion friend requests but I've never seen it do anything.

Mohonky

So......is saying the joycon cradles controller (the puppy controller) is really quite comfortable an unpopular opinion? I've been playing Zelda with that and while I'm sure the Pro controller is better (aint spending $100Aud for it though) Ive actually found the cradle joycon combo surprisingly good. I thought it looked pretty awful leading up to release, but now that Ive had hands on time with it, I actually quite like it

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm having the same problem. I'll be playing PS4 and every few minutes the TV will switch over to the HDMI that the Switch is connected to. Taking it out of the dock solves it. There's the setting for allowing the Switch to power on your TV, but disabling that doesn't make a difference.

I tried turning the Switch all the way off before docking, but the dock seems to power it back on into sleep mode.

I had the same problem with my Samsung TV with it jumping to the Switch input even when it's in sleep mode.

I will note that today, since I've kept the JoyCons unattached to the system, that I've yet to have that happen. No idea if that's making a difference or if it's just dumb luck. (EDIT: Shortly after posting this, it did the source switch again.)

So, somewhat dumb question - if I get a USB-C to USB-A cord, I can use any old USB plug lying around to charge, right?

So, does anyone know a solution for this? I think I managed to turn the Switch off while in the dock by removing the joycon and turning it off from the TV, but I haven't tested it with my PS4 running.

It's so annoying!

Kambing

Do you guys think Nintendo will release a Switch XL? Coming from a 3DS I appreciate the increase in size -- but always the battle of wanting something bigger...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I have one stuck (blue) pixel near the center on my screen. Right next to the G in the "Game Over" in Zelda.

I could send it to Nintendo, wait 2 weeks for a new screen/Switch, but they might not do anything about it, so I'd rather not.

Has anyone successfully dealt with stuck pixels on their Switch screens?
I read that I could try rubbing them or using a video with flashing solid colors, but no browser/youtube app makes the latter difficult...

Mohonky

I have one stuck (blue) pixel near the center on my screen. Right next to the G in the "Game Over" in Zelda.

I could send it to Nintendo, wait 2 weeks for a new screen/Switch, but they might not do anything about it, so I'd rather not.

Has anyone successfully dealt with stuck pixels on their Switch screens?
I read that I could try rubbing them or using a video with flashing solid colors, but no browser/youtube app makes the latter difficult...
I would store return.

So I have a USB power supply thats input is 100/240 VAC, 0.25 A, 50/60 Hz and the output is 5V 1A. would this work to charge my switch and be fine? I am using the USB C cable from my pro controller with it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I think I've solved my issue.

If you turn off your Switch while in handheld mode and then dock it, it turns itself on and goes into sleep mode. I think this is what's causing interference with other HDMI sources if you're using a splitter or have a monitor/TV that with an HDMI auto-switch feature.

BUT, if you dock your Switch and turn it off while docked (using the TV), it won't turn itself on again and won't go to sleep mode. I played about an hour of Horizon on my PS4 Pro with my Switch still docked and got zero issues unlike yesterday.

It's going to get a bit cumbersome if I decide to play Zelda in handheld mode. Hopefully having the Pro controller will mean that I won't have to unplug the joycon every time I want to turn it off from the TV.

sadromeo

So I have a USB power supply thats input is 100/240 VAC, 0.25 A, 50/60 Hz and the output is 5V 1A. would this work to charge my switch and be fine? I am using the USB C cable from my pro controller with it.

I think if you were charging the Switch while not using it, it probably will charge slowly. However, trying to charge while using, I am not sure. 5V/1a might not be enough to charge while in use.

random25

It will charge, just slower especially when the battery is at low percent. Go with higher power rating, as the Switch AC adapter in handheld mode has an output of 5V/1.5A.

Marvie_3

Banned
So......is saying the joycon cradles controller (the puppy controller) is really quite comfortable an unpopular opinion? I've been playing Zelda with that and while I'm sure the Pro controller is better (aint spending $100Aud for it though) Ive actually found the cradle joycon combo surprisingly good. I thought it looked pretty awful leading up to release, but now that Ive had hands on time with it, I actually quite like it
Its a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. Id be totally fine using it if I didnt have the pro controller.

def sim

I didn't bother unpacking the dock as I only plan to use this as a portable device. I need to buy a tablet stand that will allow me to charge it, though. The Hori one is difficult to find, so I might have to settle for something else. Anyone have some good suggestions?

Oregano

I agree, its surprisingly comfortable. It probably helps that its smaller than it looks.

ekim

I didn't bother unpacking the dock as I only plan to use this as a portable device. I need to buy a tablet stand that will allow me to charge it, though. The Hori one is difficult to find, so I might have to settle for something else. Anyone have some good suggestions?

Check the top of the page. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom