• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - EA/Origin Access trial coming March 16th - 10 hour trial

"Game breaking" generally is defined by developers as a bug that hard crash, soft crash, or inability to progress further in the game.

On NeoGaf however, it can be defined as anything from a crash to the lack of 60fps in a game to the presence of chromatic abberation as an aesthetic choice.

thank you. really makes communicating easier when we don't use a word that means one thing to describe something else entirely :) ...

i meant that as in the latter. afa the example you mention, if that glitch can't be fixed by a reboot, & if the player simply can't get past that point even by reloading a previous save, yeah, that'd be game-breaking. so, was that indeed the case? cuz i'm guessing not? :) ...

According to the uploader it happened almost directly after erasing a save and starting a new one. So no previous save to reload.

Humdinger

The fact that personal attacks on anyone who works on a project is beyond the pale. Not okay at all. The fact that it is expected with every major release, to the negative or positive, is indicative that something is broken.

Certain members of the gaming world's determined and unwavering persistence at being assholes makes all gamers look like petulant crazy people.

Even if she had been a lead designer who the flip cares. You have no right to attack people personally because something wasn't to your specific tastes.

Yeah, it's weird that people think this is the way to behave. Shaming, ridiculing, and yelling at someone -- as if that is going to make them "behave" the way you want them to, next time. Have you tried that in real life? Generally speaking, people don't suddenly "toe the line" and do your bidding. They just think you're an asshole and avoid you.

According to the uploader it happened almost directly after erasing a save and starting a new one. So no previous save to reload.

so, yeah - no indication that it's actually 'game-breaking'. especially considering whoever it was had already played past that point the first time, before erasing their save :) ...

Vengal

See stuff like this I love. The experimental opportunities seem incredible. The sheer verticality.

giphy.gif

Maan, this game feels like it really REALLY wants us all to play biotics. That looks fun as hell.

Buckle

I never once said what you describe in your first paragraph shouldn't happen. I took exception to the language of 'taking them to task'. I wouldn't even be in here if it was just gifs and memes.

A line was crossed, very quickly today, from jokes to actual vitriol and harassment. In typical modern gaming fashion.
I think you might have a harsher image of what I meant when I say taking them to task.

When I think taking them to task, I think being pretty open and honest about it, letting it remain a talking point and source of light hearted humor, not smashing Bioware's face into a wall or shouting at them.

That last bit being something I lamented in that very same post about how people take it too far.

Just got to the end of the trial.

The pacing/gameplay loop on Eos was excellent. This game is rough around the edges but gameplay wise it seems awesome. I loaded up ME3 after I logged out and the difference in combat is night and day in ME:A.

Running around the ships before Eos kind of lowered my expectations but seeing what Eos (so what most of the gameplay throughout the rest of the game will be) totally hyped me up. Can't wait for tuesday.

This is where I'm at. This is kind of the ME1 dream fulfilled in a way. You had those huge planets to explore but they were so empty. Now you have big spaces with stuff in em. There's the solid loop with research and materials to upgrade your stuff, combat is fun, and I really, really like the nomad. Great vehicle design and it feels great to drive.

I'm overall pleased with my time so far and excited for Tuesday. You're spot on, rough around the edges, but still a game with great mechanics and systems (so far)

VRMN

It was a weird feeling to feel like the game had kind of found a groove right as the trial ends, but that's where I came down on it.

Now, the game is really rough. Facial animations and questionable ally pathing aside, there were a ton of moments that just feel unpolished. Like the site 2 sidequest had me witnessing the ally characters repeating dialog as though I was walking through the area for the first time... every time. Or talking about how something was locked in the one module after I had killed that something 10 minutes earlier.

But there is a charm to it. Even if Liam is a male Ashley and Cora is a female Kaidan, the krogan totally not future party member gave off a different vibe from Wrex and Garrus was very different from Vetra. And even if I'm not sold on the combat or the story, I see promise in both. There's a sense of wonder to the galaxy and Ryder, for the kind of dorky vibe she gives off, seeming to relish the opportunity makes me like her, even if it's not the same way I adored my Shepard.

All in all I'm okay with Andromeda. Looking forward to more next week.

so, yeah - no indication that it's actually 'game-breaking'. especially considering whoever it was had already played past that point the first time, before erasing their save :) ...

So yeah, no, that's goalpost shifting. The game forced that user to erase the savefile at the very least. If you made a custom character that's a loss of progress. I don't see how the fact they erased a different save earlier excuses anything.

It just remains to be seen if this is a common glitch.

Nori Chan

What's teh status here? Buy basic packs to unlock tons of crap early?

OR BALL OUT ON PREMIUM PACKS AND EXPERT PACKS

serious question gaffers

serious question gaffers

If you go premium/expert early, it can pay off if you get an op rare or ultrarare gun, but you run lean on equipment and eventually may want to dumpster dive in basic packs to level up characters and guns.

If you go basic early, you level up base characters for free skill points making progression easier, you get full equipment, and once you level up base guns/characters fully, you will never redraw it again.

I say roll basic until you start winning gold matches and earn enough to purchase expert/premium packs more frequently.

So yeah, no, that's goalpost shifting. The game forced that user to erase the savefile at the very least. If you made a custom character that's a loss of progress. I don't see how the fact they erased a different save earlier excuses anything.

It just remains to be seen if this is a common glitch.

whoa! here's what you said:

i took that to mean that he deleted his save, restarted, & then hit the glitch you described. but now you're saying the glitch forced him to erase the save? meaning that when he loaded his save, he couldn't get past the glitch? if that's so, i misunderstood, & that's a problem, for sure. or are you saying he erased 2 saves, a previous one, & then the pre-glitch one, too? sorry, but i'm really kinda unclear what you're saying, at this point...

if the glitch can be reproduced repeatedly, & can't be gotten past in any way, that's pretty much 'game-breaking'. but if you can somehow get around it, up to & including using an earlier save or even restating the game, that very well may be seriously fucked-up, but it's still not 'game-breaking' :) ...

If you go premium/expert early, it can pay off if you get an op rare or ultrarare gun, but you run lean on equipment and eventually may want to dumpster dive in basic packs to level up characters and guns.

If you go basic early, you level up base characters for free skill points making progression easier, you get full equipment, and once you level up base guns/characters fully, you will never redraw it again.

I say roll basic until you start winning gold matches and earn enough to purchase expert/premium packs more frequently.

Wait.. are you guys talking about buying dlc packs to for this game? I have been trying to stay out of the way of spoilers and what not.. but I just had to ask this.

They both also just have ok combat and pretty graphics as their strong points, with everything else being mediocre.

Hold on, XV has some killer music, and also some fantastic animation work. And, wonder of wonders, the writing (dialogue, not the god awful plotting) might actually be better than ME:A when the dust settles.

Wait.. are you guys talking about buying dlc packs to for this game? I have been trying to stay out of the way of spoilers and what not.. but I just had to ask this.

No, this is about what you buy using the in game currency you earn from playing Multiplayer matches. If you were buying stuff with real cash, you wouldn't be buying basic packs.

Van Bur3n

I expect DA Inquisition system for the teammates.

Never played Inquisition, so I wouldn't know how extensive it was in that game.

See stuff like this I love. The experimental opportunities seem incredible. The sheer verticality.

giphy.gif

That's some Superman shit right there.

Maan, this game feels like it really REALLY wants us all to play biotics. That looks fun as hell.

The biotics are too damn fun in this game. Kind of want to make all four of my power loadouts just varying biotic abilities.

Kagutaba

It amazes me how Bioware managed to outshine the competition with their gameplay design of all things, it's so much fun, Horizon Zero Dawn feels positively last gen in comparison. Very unexpected. I just hope the story pans out as well, because if it does, this will probably be my favourite Mass Effect game yet.

Another thing: the companions seems fine, as in at least on par with the squad mates of the first game.

Is anyone else bothered by how unattractive Scott is? I mean, he's not ugly but he looks like a huge goober. Sara at least has a ...unique face but for the most part both characters are inferior the the Shepard imo.

I'm playing as default Sara and I actually am finding it hard to get immersed because her facial expressions look so jacked up in conversation. She looks so damn goofy and has unnaturally large features. I was wondering if playing as Scott would be better.

How about voice acting, which one does a better job? Sara's or Scott's?

Kagutaba

I'm playing as default Sara and I actually am finding it hard to get immersed because her facial expressions look so jacked up in conversation. She looks so damn goofy and has unnaturally large features. I was wondering if playing as Scott would be better.

They are both great, but Sara is better at being serious I feel.

serious question gaffers

I'm a huge Mass Effect fan but they really dropped the ball on the Ultra Deluxe Edition or whatever its called. Some multiplayer packs, that's it? I expected a bit more so I've stuck with middle of the roadDeluxe. I figured I'll be playing so much MP I'll earn a lot myself and piece meal premium packs individually.

I just played the old ME3 multiplayer for a couple of hours and it's still really amazing. Enemies can blow up in a really graphic way if you use powerful abilities and weapons on them. With the right mods you can shoot through walls and metal shields and the enemies seem have their own abilities and powers that you have to account for, like the Cerberus guys with metal shields and portable turrets. Different characters also have wildly different abilities.

I'm not sure if the ME:A multiplayer lives up to the ME3 multiplayer just yet though. Some of the enemies have their own tactics like the robots that make small drones that try to grab you. I haven't seen much of that from the human enemies though. I also haven't seen if they have some really crazy mods that you can put in your weapons. If it turns out to be just as good as ME3's mp then it'll definitely be worth the 60 bucks but I'm really not sure at this point.

Jedi Knight II did this kinda stuff 15 years ago.

Catch and Throw + Leap + Ground pound? Granted I played way more Jedi Academy than JK2 but I don't really remember any of that. Not to say the JK series didn't have exceptional combat and force powers.

edit:
But he were already dead by the time Ryder charged into him up in the air making the slam unnecessary since the other guy seemed dead too before the impact.

I believe that was so he wouldn't take fall damage?

edit2:
I didn't say this exactly, I said this kinda of stuff. Being able to force grab someone, throw them into the air, catch them all the way down again and hit them with sabre throw. You could combine powers so well in it.

Yeah for sure, it had great power and ability combos. Your original post though kinda implied this wasn't as impressive for Andromeda though, despite it being a new take on an older, still great idea? That was how I read it anyway.

Catch and Throw + Leap + Ground pound? Granted I played way more Jedi Academy than JK2 but I don't really remember any of that. Not to say the JK series didn't have exceptional combat and force powers.

I didn't say this exactly, I said this kinda of stuff. Being able to force grab someone, throw them into the air, catch them all the way down again and hit them with sabre throw. You could combine powers so well in it.

RS4-

serious question gaffers

if it's like ME3, buy the basic ones or whatever until you exhaust that loot table. Unless of course, MEA adds dupes lol.

nOoblet16

It amazes me how Bioware managed to outshine the competition with their gameplay design of all things, it's so much fun, Horizon Zero Dawn feels positively last gen in comparison. Very unexpected. I just hope the story pans out as well, because if it does, this will probably be my favourite Mass Effect game yet.

Another thing: the companions seems fine, as in at least on par with the squad mates of the first game.
Erm what ?
How is Horizon's component system that work with its several tools provided to player and affect the enemy's abilities last gen? Don't say Dead Space cause it's not the same thing.

Andromeda's combat system while nice is actually something that feels last gen, it's competing with the likes of Vanquish and is worse than that. There's a bigger gulf there than there is between horizon and any game that attempted similar gameplay.

ExVicis

thank you. really makes communicating easier when we don't use a word that means one thing to describe something else entirely :) ...
Fair enough. I'll use deal-breaking from now on.

The words being used doesn't really excuse though that a large chunk of the game's appeal is made to feel lackluster because of these things.

Neither I nor anybody else I've seen is saying that there's not room to discuss and criticize MEA's admittedly super uneven facial animations. I've talked about it myself a fair bit, albeit not as much here on GAF.

But... I don't think you can reasonably say that having an entire topic of discussion devoted to not just point out examples of for the purposes of informing potential consumers (or, hey, the devs themselves) maps 1-1 with "lets all pile together and mock the shit out of this thing!"

And hell, if that's where it ended, it wouldn't be an issue. But it's not. It metastasizes like that, turning from playful banter into outright abuse. And I think we should all make an effort to recognize that.

Eeeeeh I disagree here. People will all have their own reactions to things like this and very often the most common reaction is humor. We see that in a lot of criticism and not just in videogames but in videogame reviews, culture, etc. I see no reason for this one game to be exempt from it.

As well I think there's a big leap from "hey let's laugh at how funny these things look!" to "Look, I think this person is responsible for the funny GIFs, let's go make life a living hell for them".

Either way it's better the majority of them end up there and not in this thread and for that alone I think that thread has served decently enough.

If you go offline on your console and install from disc (EA access does not work since it does a full digital install) and do a quick start (not character create), the default female Ryder sister is VERY different from the day one patch Ryder:

bryRHOX.jpg

I have zero idea why they clowned up the character (left side) from the default original one (right side) which looks way more like the female mocap model the character is based on. Its just such a bizarre thing they have done with the face models.

Aww I ran out of time but I am totally loving the game don't even notice the animations anymore. Multiplayer is amazing and the story seems pretty interesting very happy with the game now.

Jamaro85

This glitch is ridiculous.

I was running with the Mattock but changed loadout and swapped it out for the Avenger.

The Avenger was only doing damage in semi-auto fashion like the Mattock, BUT still draining ammunition like it normally does when you hold the trigger. So when you pull the trigger you can hear one shot go off, hold it and see bullet trails and see ammunition draining like normal, but no damage is done and no sound is made unless you pull the trigger again.

Reloading the game didn't do anything and I had to completely exit out of the game.

Edit: Had to step away and close the game after it being fixed, and upon opening and reloading my game save the glitch occurred again. Only got an hour of game play left so it sucks to have this happening now, ugh.

Hawk269

That's unfortunate. I played it on Xbox and didn't experience freezes. Just a few framerate stutters that didn't detract from any gameplay.

Same for me. nothing even remotely close to 10sec freezes at all. The most I had was a slight pause during a cut scene but that is it. A friend did have a longer pause, but he did the power down completely and he replayed the section and it did not happen again.

Jamaro85

On another note, I am getting destroyed on Eos trying to
activate a Remnant monolith. These shielded observers can take a lot of bullets and quickly eliminate my squad, leaving me to get swarmed.
Any advice here? None of the combat encounters on the first planet were anywhere near this difficult. This isn't even on insanity, only hardcore, so I seriously feel like I have to be doing something wrong here.

I'm using the Avenger and have push, throw, and lance as my skills. All seem pretty useless in this fight, which isn't making things any easier. I really miss having engineer squadmates whose skills I could manually use to offset my deficiencies as a biotic. Overload would probably make this fight a cinch.

diaspora

On another note, I am getting destroyed on Eos trying to
activate a Remnant monolith. These shielded observers can take a lot of bullets and quickly eliminate my squad, leaving me to get swarmed.
Any advice here? None of the combat encounters on the first planet were anywhere near this difficult. This isn't even on insanity, only hardcore, so I seriously feel like I have to be doing something wrong here.

I'm using the Avenger and have push, throw, and lance as my skills. All seem pretty useless in this fight, which isn't making things any easier. I really miss having engineer squadmates whose skills I could manually use to offset my deficiencies as a biotic. Overload would probably make this fight a cinch.
Use disruptor ammo if you have any.

Top Bottom