• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio reveal on Thursday at 2pm UK / 6am Pacific by Eurogamer/DF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trago

Why Digital Foundry? That's kind of weird.

Because everyone goes to them for gaming tech analysis. It's really the best possible option for a reveal. It's new hardware, so they might as well get the gaming tech guys that everyone flocks to to go all in on the hardware themselves.

Really smart way of going about this I think.

Is this an event sponsored or backed by Microsoft?

Or are DF just getting a sneak peek and the rest is up to them?

I would assume that someone like Richard Leadbetter was invited to Microsoft to put the hardware through some tests and to capture video to use in a detailed specifications and performance write-up. At least that's what I'm expecting.

I guess I'm crazy since I figured we should be wondering what games they will be showing on the system rather than the technical aspects of it.

As others have suggested, E3 for games but get the technical specs out the way on Thursday?

Maybe. I don't know.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why Digital Foundry? That's kind of weird.

They do all the benchmark videos. If MS believes Scorpio is indeed very powerful, why not have the guys that benchmark everything reveal how powerful it actually is?

The potential downfall is if Scorpio is not as powerful as MS thinks.

Feels like a strange way to reveal a new console. I'm excited to see what type of tech it has, but more importantly I want to see what (exclusive) games they have in the works as ultimately that will decide if I get one regardless of how powerful it is. Hopefully they are also able to show off at least a few new games.

I am finding it weird that people are not hyped up that DF is going to show this thing off.....i mean all everybody has been talking about is what the performance might be and now the best place for that is doing it and people are saying why them?

Venom.

Digital Foundry are renown for checking console performance so this associates Scorpio with power. Good move for Microsoft but does it suggest bias further down the line?

ironcreed

Banned
Microsoft are in a position where I think they need to come out like a blitzkrieg with this thing. Just blindside people with surprises. Hopefully that is the plan.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I guess I'm crazy since I figured we should be wondering what games they will be showing on the system rather than the technical aspects of it.
It had the exact same games as XB1. Literally the only reason to buy a Scorpio is the tech specs. That's the whole point.

Besides you'll see all that at E3 I'm sure.

flkraven

latest

Mrbob

I think this just goes to show how much bigger DF has become. The only other sites you would really want to do this are PC hardware sites like anandtech but they don't cover consoles.

Let's see how in depth the coverage is first before declaring teh bias!!1!

They do all the benchmark videos. If MS believes Scorpio is indeed very powerful, why not have the guys that benchmark everything reveal how powerful it actually is?

The potential downfall is if Scorpio is not as powerful as MS thinks.

I mean... I'm fairly confident that the Xbox team knows how powerful their machine is. I doubt they'd be going to DF if they felt they needed to put some spin on things.

Great that Microsoft is confident about the tech under the hood, but I'm more interested in hearing about a unified vision for the Xbox brand - why do they think I should own one of their machines? Is it just for power or are their compelling exclusives to back that up? E3 will hopefully be when we get all that, but I am intrigued for Thursday nonetheless.

graybot

It’s a very interesting way to reveal it. Original and they must be extremely confident

Im not going to pretend I know anything about whats good or whats bad. I see jaguar CPU mentioned and I have no idea if people are hoping for or against this

Yes you are. Microsoft is seemingly giving information in a tiered release. If this thing will be releasing in the fall, then it's important to explain what it is truly capable of. It's a high-end Xbox; you can expect Xbox games.

barit

So this pretty much put all rumors to end about "new generation" and "crazy power you have never seen before" if you choose a 3rd party site to reveal your new product. I mean nothing wrong with DF and their solid work but it's the same as if Apple would reveal their newest IPhone over a similar tech site. So it is indeed a Xbox Pro after all. Hope that everyone gets what he/she wanted from Project Scorpio.

Mrbob

It’s a very interesting way to reveal it. Original and they must be extremely confident

Im not going to pretend I know anything about whats good or whats bad. I see jaguar CPU mentioned and I have no idea if people are hoping for or against this
Jaguar CPU = bad, pray for Zen or Intel

Nzyme32

This is about specs. It can either do things or it cant. Its hard to bias facts.

It is actually quite easy to do with an audience that isn't necessarily fully understanding of all the terminology. Eg I could talk about an amd and nvidia card by tflops and then claim the amd card with the bigger number is better, which isn't necesarily true when it comes to performance.

Anyway, this is incredibly minor a point

GreyWind

And Project Neon dropped today for new apps. That's MS new design language for Windows and Scorpio will use it too.

ironcreed

Banned
Digital Foundry are renown for checking console performance so this associates Scorpio with power. Good move for Microsoft but does it suggest bias further down the line?

I mean, if it's a good system then they will say good things about it. Being positive about a Microsoft product does not automatically mean that one is on the payroll or has some biased agenda. Jesus.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm sure you can thank the Sony reveal for Microsoft's decision to invoke DF.

Sony learned it's hard to hype resolution when no one can reproduce it via low bit-rate streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom