• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - 2017 Spring Trailer

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, but there are better weapons then those now

Really ? I just googled it and all I found is the best weapons from base game (Zodiac and Tournesol) have been very slightly nerfed, but I didn't see better weapons than that ? At least not in DMG output.

I'm a huge FF fan, played like 80% of them, so no hate here.

But I never really enjoyed this installment, if I could ask the rest of GAF, what makes this game enjoyable for you?
- Best non-action-battle-system of any JRPG (together with Xenoblade and Xenoblade X)
- Great cast of characters
- Awesome world
- Noble art-style
- Awesome soundtrack

The only thing I don't love about the game is the story. It's good but too political for my taste.

Firenze1

Banned
Really ? I just googled it and all I found is the best weapons from base game (Zodiac and Tournesol) have been very slightly nerfed, but I didn't see better weapons than that ? At least not in DMG output.
Trango tower has 153 atk.

Seitengrat has 224 atk

Tournesol has 148 atk and zodiac spear has 140 atk

Cronen

I bought XII when it was first released, and for some reason it didn't really click with me. I found myself avoiding battles where possible and just trying to scrape by. This of course didn't work out well, and I got to Golmore Jungle (I think) under-levelled and I struggled to continue. In the end I just put the game down and never played it again.

I've wanted to return to this game for a while now and give it the proper attention it deserves. I am really looking forward to picking this up.

How the game should have been promoted the first time. No Vann a lot of Ashe the real main character. Can't wait to have my girl run me through Ivalice again!

AndersK

But I never really enjoyed this installment, if I could ask the rest of GAF, what makes this game enjoyable for you?

It hits a very unique MMO-liteish gameplay, without many of the downsides. Hunting special contrated mobs in a fairly big world (instanced though) with good exploration just feels great. You can spend an eternity doing everything but small bits of the story here and there. Doubly so now that you can't have anyone be anything.

I have great memories of the IZ-version playing Vaan as a Monk and going as far into the world I could after the intro.

Jennipeg

I am so excited for this! The music sounds so good, and the Voices are much better. I can't wait to play as my girl Ashe again. I have only played vanilla XII so this will be quite different.

Anoxida

I cant wait for this. It's the best FF but not my favorite FF, if that makes sense. If it didnt have pacing issues and more fleshed out character arcs then it would be the goat.

Notice how Ashe is the main focus of the trailer, and not Vaan.

Someone at SE's marketing department knows what's what. Only way it could have been better is if they had focused on Balthier

Kari Wahlgren still one of my fav VAs too.

Gonna be great hearing the voices in better quality since there's a pretty great voice cast and localization.
I don't remember most of the story scenes clearly anymore too after all this time.

Lanrutcon

Trango tower has 153 atk.
Seitengrat has 224 atk
Tournesol has 148 atk and zodiac spear has 140 atk

It's worth noting that the Zodiac edition basically put a bullet in almost every early super weapon/armor strategy the game had to offer. You can still get better weapons than you're supposed to have early on, but not to the level where you're running around with the goddamn Zodiac spear before the game is even at the halfway mark.

I'll be amazed if the Seitengrat didn't get some changes for the new version.

Blobbers

the voices still sound like shit, are people watching a different trailer?

besides that, bring on one of the best Final Fantasies

Grudy

I can't wait to dip back into Ivalice. It's one of my favorite fictional worlds and a big inspiration for the world I'm building. That cutscene when you reach the sand sea has always stuck with me over the years, along with many others.

I remember being stuck on that (minor spoiler for first temple)
wall of death in the Belias temple
for a while lol.

Jennipeg

I would literally buy this day 1 if they added an alternate outfit for Vaan. I never used him in my party but that outfit (his design in general really) of his is literally the worst designed thing I have ever seen.

Ridiculously tan, blonde-white hair, some kind of... silver metallic jewelry vest without a shirt... pants that are way too high on his hips. Like what the fuck kind of design is that, he's some kind of reject discount Aladdin.

At least they fixed his awful abs. Something like this would be way better though.

f4aa459669f70d6b94468cdcb0c278bc.jpg

Isn't this the same costume, plus a shirt? I didn't like the little vest but the rest of the design was alright I thought.

Just the music, characters, aesthetics, world and enemy design, writing, character dialogue, gameplay, and the overall feel.

Which is to say, literally everything about it, especially as this version (and IZJS) fixes the minor flaws of the original. I mean sure, it would have been even better had Matsuno not left partway through, but that's neither here nor there.

I never played that one...but I did play Revenant Wings on DS.
Totally not the same genre but I really liked it.

I'm pumped for the release, finally time to play it.

Malrend

Decent trailer.

Found it rather funny that they showed a clip of the fight against Yiazmat.. Although I guess his fight got a bit easier/shorter in IZJS.

I bought XII when it was first released, and for some reason it didn't really click with me. I found myself avoiding battles where possible and just trying to scrape by. This of course didn't work out well, and I got to Golmore Jungle (I think) under-levelled and I struggled to continue. In the end I just put the game down and never played it again.

I've wanted to return to this game for a while now and give it the proper attention it deserves. I am really looking forward to picking this up.

I liked the game but I do remember the battle system didn't click with me too fast since at the time I wanted something ATB rather so at times they were in the way, though for me I kind of vaguely remember I started playing with less focus on the game when the story scenes started feeling like they were getting further and further apart since I was very into FF story scenes, especially at the time.

I'm so looking forward to revisiting it now that I can give it my attention again and being older too.

I cant wait for this. It's the best FF but not my favorite FF, if that makes sense. If it didnt have pacing issues and more fleshed out character arcs then it would be the goat.

Yeah I remember that the pacing and fuller arcs for everyone would have really rounded it out. I loved the setting and characters and always looked forward to more while playing.

mdzapeer

Its a good game looking forward to playing the remaster, hopefully it comes out on PC too. Since I wont be buying it day one, i can wait till I go through the backlog.

The game's major issue is the story pacing is all over the place. I did a run a while back with cheats, basically 1 shotting everything and doing all the story beats. It did flow together a bit better, but the story content was very little with basic character development. Compared to other games in the series upto this point its a really glaring side step for the series.

Overall I the game feels more like an offline MMO.

120v

Why was Vaan even added to the game?

Was it some sort of focus tested bullshit?

nothing official (?) but that unanimously seems to be the case. look at matsuno's departure, the holes in the plot, it's hard not to connect the fuckery

AndersK

Why was Vaan even added to the game?

Was it some sort of focus tested bullshit?

Not far from it. Comporate was worried the intended Protagonist, Basch, would be too old and not androgenous enough for japanese audiences, IIRC. Totally understandable, ruggedly handsome and 35 is wayyyyy to old, rite?

...which explains why Vaan feels like a Luke Skywalker archetype, except he does very little of importance. Not that i don't like him, he's just a side character pushed in to the spotlight, which the story suffers somewhat for.

khaaan

Isn't this the same costume, plus a shirt? I didn't like the little vest but the rest of the design was alright I thought.

More or less, it's only a few modifications but a shirt that impacts almost his entire upper half which is why I feel it can come off like a bigger change. Here's one of his renders from FF12. His vest was lengthened to a normal size, he's got some ornament around his belt and some bulkier gauntlets but otherwise it looks like the same design. I like the Revenant Wing design but I also like the original because he begins the game as a lowly street urchin and it gave me pseudo Aladdin vibes.

Elven_Star

Didn't finish it when it was released back then (feels like two million years ago). How can the English voice acting be SO good? Will this be the first JRPG I'll play with English VA?

Synless

The one thing I always had respect for in this game was the voice acting. Despite shitty compression in the original version the game still delivered performance far better than anything I can recall in FFXIII-FFXV.

Jennipeg

Not far from it. Comporate was worried the intended Protagonist, Basch, would be too old and not androgenous enough for japanese audiences, IIRC. Totally understandable, ruggedly handsome and 35 is wayyyyy to old, rite?

...which explains why Vaan feels like a Luke Skywalker archetype, except he does very little of importance. Not that i don't like him, he's just a side character pushed in to the spotlight, which the story suffers somewhat for.

Basch would have been a good protagonist, his relationship with Gabranth could have been explored more. As it stands, Ashe seems like the most obvious protagonist to me. I'd have been happy with Reks even. Vaan is just a bit rubbish.

Cronen

I liked the game but I do remember the battle system didn't click with me too fast since at the time I wanted something ATB rather so at times they were in the way, though for me I kind of vaguely remember I started playing with less focus on the game when the story scenes started feeling like they were getting further and further apart since I was very into FF story scenes, especially at the time.

I'm so looking forward to revisiting it now that I can give it my attention again and being older too.

Yeah I can agree with you there. At that point in time, I was very much in to FF stories, and so I think I would do the bare minimum in the 'game' parts because I wanted to just get to the next story beat.

I think being older also helps. I am now more willing to put the time in and learn the systems of the game.

Shahed

I literally can't remember any of those scenes. Like at all. Considering how awesome the story in FF tactics is, why was this one so forgettable?

Rad-

Few things that I got from the stream. Many of us guessed these correctly before but nice to see confirmation:

- Licenses are "shared" meaning if you unlock one license in job board 1 you will have the same license unlocked in job board 2. So if you choose two jobs with both having 16 battle lores, you only get 16 battle lores in total (not 32).
- The previous also means that with some license unlocks in job board 1 you can jump to license board 2's "license islands" without spending a quickening/summon to get there.
- Multiple characters can choose the same job. So for example you can make everyone a black mage if you want.
- No more magic queue. This is pretty huge. Magic was already powerful in IZJS but its limit was that your spells were queued. Not anymore.

Kazuhira

And here we go again,bring it on!
I'm glad about the lack of focus on Vaan in this trailer,i don't hate the guy but the real protags are Ashe,Basch and Balthier.

aravuus

- No more magic queue. This is pretty huge. Magic was already powerful in IZJS but its limit was that your spells were queued. Not anymore.

Fuck yeah. I'm loving all these gameplay changes. Magic queue was there for performance reasons, right? Only makes sense they'd fix it, but I still remained pessimistic.

When it comes to licenses, I wonder if it'd be best to pick job combinations that have the least shared licenses between them.

Top Bottom