• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Koralsky

Right now i really wish ******** results are the real one.

Actually, their Japanese calculations are quite accurate, so there's hope.

But even if Vanquish manage to sell about 500k in half a year, that's i think will not be enough - I remember Sega expected 1.5 million sales.

"[C&VG)You mentioned the massive budgets that go into the Black Ops etc. Although you might not have those budgets readily available, doesn't that help you avoid homogenisation? Bayonetta and Vanquish are not your usual action titles...

[Mike Hayes] That's a very good point. I think a lot of that is driven through how creative the developer is going to be and to an extent the publisher wont get involved in that.

If you've got someone like Platinum Games, who have that that different, quality approach it is an advantage. But of course that is quite difficult to find, especially when you're in a genre that is so well populated.

I think where we sit from a commercial point of view is that the Black Ops, the Gears, the Halos... In terms of the numbers they do they are so phenomenal, but there is a very good market below that.

Obviously there's failure underneath, too - so the good news is whilst Vanquish isn't shown at a Sony or Microsoft E3 show, if we can get enough interest with it, get it to a certain level of sales, then we sequelise it.

Then we start having the confidence to put more money in it and be a bit more experimental and sort of be a bigger production. I think where we're positioned right now with Vanquish is correct, and if we're getting some underground praise for it, that will position us quite nicely.

AvP came from nowhere - a number of other publishers have said they didn't expect that to do as well as it has - so I think if we can do a similar thing with Vanquish, we've got a chance. We won't overly trumpet it until it's out there with the consumer.

If we can release that and sell 1 or 1.5 million units across the US and Europe, that is fantastic. We don't expect to sell five million units - it would be nice, but we manage our expectations on it.

But to your point, yes, you can try and do things slightly differently - but we're in the hands of the developer to give us that inspiration.

As you said, you have to be commercially minded with these things but... hopeful of a Vanquish sequel in the future?

Absolutely, yeah, yeah, definitely. I think with Vanquish - because it's coming from a Platinum Games stable - we're pretty optimistic. Bayonetta set a fantastic benchmark in terms of quality."

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Koralsky said:
Right now i really wish ******** results are the real one.

Actually, their Japanese calculations are quite accurate, so there's hope.
Ahahaha.

Imagine they were ''off'' in Japan when there are available data from 3 different trackers.

Advertising is a dead horse I see beaten again and again when a niche game fails to sell, and I spend a lot of time in online communities based on niche games. Marketing will not help games like Vanquish, Deathsmiles, your favorite obscure JRPG, etc. sell. There is no hidden treasure trove of people who would buy all of these obscure games if only they knew that they existed. The reason Vanquish is not selling is because it lacks the multiplayer and hours of unlockable crap that your average OCD/ADHD gamer expects from an FPS or TPS.. being a very short game doesn't help either.

Bayonetta sold because of its unique theme, unlockables, length, and generally being a more accessible button mash style game. Yes, there is depth in Bayonetta, but you can feel like a superpowered badass by button mashing, not so with Vanquish where standing outside cover is a death sentence if you aren't competent with the controls. Stop blaming marketing and come to the simple realization that the games you like are unpopular relative to the size of the market.

Curufinwe

A fast-paced, Gears-ish TPS like Vanquish should be much easier to market than Deathsmiles or Etrian Odyssey, even though I agree that the lack of multiplayer and unlockables did not help its sales.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You know, it probably not right to do this, but rather than try to break it down into "they didn't advertise enough" or this or that... sometimes I just find it easier to say that the general taste of gamers just sucks. Therefore, it just sucks this sold like it did. =(

Suck less gamers. Suck less.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
There's no argument here. No, it's not multiplayer, unlockables(bleh) or length, it simply comes down to advertising. 80% of my friends never heard of it, that's not a good sign.

Don't forget that your average gamer doesn't know who's directing the game nor what's so special about it without the in-your-face-media.

Decado

Does Black Ops really have that big of a budget (engine is OLD)? I can't help but feel that Vanquished looks better...

Or are we talking marketing dollars?

Koralsky

Decado said:
Or are we talking marketing dollars?

Exactly.

Also, i'm behind of what mjemirzian say.

Vanquish is in my top three retail games this year (along with Bayonetta and RDR), but it is just too hard-core for the masses, advertising or not.

Also the fact that most people thinks it is four hours game didn't help either. GameInformer are the biggest game magazine in US, right?

The fact that SEGA made TV advertising for Sonic Colors (Bayonetta also have one) speak for themselves that it's not about money - it's about which game is better to be marketed more.

And for the records, Vanquish used to have a lot of banners in the biggest gaming web sites. Where the target customers for the game are IMO.

They knew Vanquish is a very short game, with very little replayability for the casual player. It doesn't have any multiplayer and the overall presentation is a way too Japanese.

The only real mistake SEGA made in my opinion is the time they released it.

Sorry for my broken English :)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Oh man I just finished Challenge 4 :D holy shit what a rush :D

So basically in the last wave, Rocket launcher and dodging like crazy was key to clearing it.:lol

Also you need a cigarette to distract the zerg in the beginning.

Yurt said:
Oh man I just finished Challenge 4 :D holy shit what a rush :D

So basically in the last wave, Rocket launcher and dodging like crazy was key to clearing it.:lol

Also you need a cigarette to distract the zerg in the beginning.
Congrats. The challenges are kicking my butt as well. Almost done,.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
iconoclast said:
They probably should have advertised it then.

True. I have not seen one advert for this game. Seen the shit outta COD: BO though. So much so that it went from being hilarious to being annoying. I'm not saying that Sega should've poured millions of dollars into advertising. But, a few well placed ads would've been nice me thinks.

Is anyone else having problems downloading the Tri-Weapon Pack from Xbox Live? It gets to 1% and then pops up a msgs saying 'Can't download blah blah". Its not a disk space problem as there is lots of room.

I've tried four times now, no go.

ElyrionX

MentalNoiz said:
Is anyone else having problems downloading the Tri-Weapon Pack from Xbox Live? It gets to 1% and then pops up a msgs saying 'Can't download blah blah". Its not a disk space problem as there is lots of room.

I've tried four times now, no go.

Yeah I got that as well.

Posted here to reflect the issue:

http://forums.xbox.com/35054180/ShowPost.aspx#35054180

You should do the same so MS takes note. Try calling the Xbox Live hotline to see if they can help you.

Just starting to get into this game. Could someone either give me a primer on how to do well and what I should be doing, or at least help point me towards it? Looking at the OP now, so that will probably help, but any other tips would be appreciated. Like when to use AR, when to use cover, what kind of weapons are best, quickest ways to upgrade weapons.

I love the game, but it definitely just throws everything right at you from the start. Which I guess is cool, it doesn't really handhold after the tutorial.

Also, can I replay missions whenever I want without erasing my progress? It says it will erase my checkpoint, but that's usually not a big deal if I can just start that act over again, which I'm assuming you can.

Gracias.

Almost done with Act 3 on Hard. Been playing it very sparsely. The last few nights I've only done one chapter because my friends have been wanting me to play Reach and Black Ops. So I fire up Vanquish for 5 minutes and do a chapter real quick before. Seriously one of my favorite third-person shooters of the gen.

Vanquished.

2ldwx3l.jpg

My hands have stopped shaking, and I can finally tell you how I did it.

First off, this is the best strategy on the net: http://www.trueachievements.com/viewcomment.aspx?commentid=261113#vch

I didn't discover it until today, about a month after release, but it definitely has the best breakdown of the Challenge 6 strategy. My strategy was slightly different, and I don't necessarily recommend it, since it took me a month of off and on play to clear this challenge.

***TURN THE FUCKING MUSIC OFF. This will let you hear the Viper's steps, audio cues for the scorpions and the Bogies.******

Wave 1
Boost left, take out as many Red Gorgies as you can while they spawn. If you're still getting used to this challenge, stay up on the stairs area to be safe. By the end of my time with Challenge 6, I was weaving in and out of the Gorgy hordes taking them out while I killed the Viper. A relatively easy round.

Wave 2
I have a very particular strategy that I developed for this wave. Bogey is the first to spawn so I flip back and forth as he's spawning and lock-on laser the shit out of him. On a good run I can kill him before the second set of flying robots approaches the stairs. This means I only have to use one EMP. This helps for later, but is not essential. Once the flyers and the Bogey are gone, cleaning up the remaining robots is simple. I would say this is one of the hardest waves, just because it's easy to get overwhelmed if things don't go right. There may be better patterns than mine, but I know mine is extremely fast.

Wave 3
Do what the trueachievements comment above says and you will be good. Basically throw a grenade into the spawning Gorgies, dodge to cover and HIDE. Wait until the drill romanov on the right is close to the Fire guy, pop out of cover and blow up the fire guy. 3 Romanovs left; blow up the missile guy and blast the others' faces off one by one and let them spin out of control. One of the most stable waves once you get the pattern down.

Wave 4
Although this wave is extremely chaotic, I think there are ways to stabilize it. I did the typical strategy of LFE gunning the ball bots that spawn, throwing a grenade to see if I could catch some Ninjas, then dashing over to kill the first flying platform->dashing back to kill the other one. I THINK a better strategy might be: grab a sniper rifle, LFE the ball bots, throw a grenade slightly right->slow time->shoot it to take out a grip of ninjas, now flip back and snipe the first flying platform, wait a sec and do it again for the next one. Now boost cancel around the map and take out the scorpions. The scorpions are actually really easy. As you're boost-cancelling, of course never stop until you hear their "ERRRAAA" noise, which means they changed form. Once they've stood up again, hammer their faces with the HMG.

Make sure to grab an LFE gun, Lock-on laser, and HMG for the last round.

Wave 5
One of the HARDEST things about this wave is knowing where the ball bots spawn since a bunch of chaos happens at the same time. A good pattern for this wave is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opjdj6XQAJs

If these are the stairs, I've marked the ball bot spawns.

2ainccx.jpg

Go to the spawn marked First on the right->slow->kill them with LFE. Dash left. The left-most spawn are now heading towards you. Catch them near the staircase and kill them. Now dash left, while staying away from the bogeys. The Last spawning ball bots will slowly be following you, but they don't line up well so you might have to take them out individually.

But you have a bigger priority, and that is staying the fuck away from the bogeys. Know the reason that there's so much boost-cancelling and dashing around the map for 6-5 clear videos? If you stay in one spot too long, one of the bogeys will hit you with the AR cancelling attack and you will probably have to blow an EMP to get out of jeopardy. Try to keep an eye on where the bogeys are and dance the fuck around until you've killed off the ball bots. Use EMPs when you get in trouble. NOW. Use lock-on laser to kill the red bogey. Yes, if you kill the blue one you get a rocket launcher but you know what? The rocket launcher kind of sucks in this battle. Use lock-on laser until you've killed the Red bogey. Even if you get a good angle and can get a lot of shots in, do not waste too much time: you want to be on the opposite side of the map from the Bogeys. They will come over and fuck you up if you spend too much AR meter on a good attack run. Note that right when he's about to die, he tends to hit you with some really accurate shots, so be very careful when his life is low.

The fight is NOT over. The last bogey can kill you very easily if you get soft because it has the attacks of both Red and Blue. You will not be able to hit it at all until it says something and initiates an attack where it rises up. Do not try to gun fight it while it's moving all crazy, it's useless. If you have any remaining lock-on laser, use that, otherwise HMG it to death.

In my case, the blue guy was flipping out by the end, but once he raised up for an attack I hammered the shit out of him and he was basically done after that. As his life dropped to 1/4 to 1/8 my heart started racing...in a certain sense I was almost like: "is that it?" But yes, it is. You've conquered EVERYTHING in the game thrown at you at once, and now it's just him. Be ready for everything. Be merciless.

Right, UK online stores were selling the steelbook edition for both versions for just £20. PS3 version is now sold out completely, so I can only get the 360 one. I know the PS3 version was the lead, so is the 360 one still identical? Also, I guess i'd be missing out on uncompressed surround... but I really want that 360 steelbook. Shall I bite?

I just melee'd with the Disk Launcher for the first time. I can't believe I didn't know that the gun could do that:lol I don't think I've melee'd with the Laser either...Is that interesting as well?

Hope the DLC weapons hit Live soon. Can't get enough of this game.

Wow just came up against 2-3 I think with the two huge mech robots I have to fight.

This is one of the most bullshit fights I've ever played in a game. I'm getting hit by shit left and right from off screen. SO MUCH CLUTTER. Cover does nothing.

Ugh. This game is so clearly trying to be like Halo right here having to fight two of these things but the game play doesn't suit it at all. Fucking frustrating.

EDIT: I cooled down a bit and finally beat it. Definitely some skill involved, which is cool, but I think this was one of the cheaper encounters in the game.

rvy

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Right, UK online stores were selling the steelbook edition for both versions for just £20. PS3 version is now sold out completely, so I can only get the 360 one. I know the PS3 version was the lead, so is the 360 one still identical? Also, I guess i'd be missing out on uncompressed surround... but I really want that 360 steelbook. Shall I bite?
You should, they're almost identical on a technical level.

Oh also, the Unknown's are so much more difficult encounters on Hard. They're not more difficult in cheap ways either, they're smarter and more challenging.

astroturfing said:
ok, what the hell is "boost canceling"? maybe that will help me beat challenge 4..

While you're boosting around just interrupt it with a roll every now and then. Helps to conserve the ars gauge and you can get about quicker using it. I think you recover quicker from a boost by rolling out of it as well.

Air Zombie Meat said:
While you're boosting around just interrupt it with a roll every now and then. Helps to conserve the ars gauge and you can get about quicker using it. I think you recover quicker from a boost by rolling out of it as well.

ah ok, i kinda figured it meant that. i do it a lot but i still feel the AR gauge doesn't fill up fast enough :( and i swear it overheats just a millisecond before the visual representation shows it does... a nanosecond maybe... pisses me off.

Unicorn

CartridgeBlower said:
Wow just came up against 2-3 I think with the two huge mech robots I have to fight.

This is one of the most bullshit fights I've ever played in a game. I'm getting hit by shit left and right from off screen. SO MUCH CLUTTER. Cover does nothing.

Ugh. This game is so clearly trying to be like Halo right here having to fight two of these things but the game play doesn't suit it at all. Fucking frustrating.

EDIT: I cooled down a bit and finally beat it. Definitely some skill involved, which is cool, but I think this was one of the cheaper encounters in the game.
It was only difficult for me because at that point I had next to no ammo. Was still satisfying to take them down.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing the DLC guns. Simply amazing. Especially the pistol. Will never go back to normal. At least not for a while.

About half way through Act 4 on Hard. I think the only achievements I'm not going to get are the 10 cigarette distractions and complete all the challenges. When all is said and done.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
the 10 cigs one is easy though.

when those hangers in 3-5 drop with the groups of robots(in the section after you shoot out kreon foot) just toss a cig in front of them then toss a nade.

The hardest one for me was the flash gordon one with the lockon laser. I was finally able to get it yesterday though after putting the game down for a few weeks.

Now I just need to finish hard run then the challenges and I have my(first) platinum :D

I might do a god hard run afterwards but I think I might be burning out on Vanquish

Vilix said:
Been playing the DLC guns. Simply amazing. Especially the pistol. Will never go back to normal. At least not for a while.
I got a code for those guns and I've yet to start the game. Should I use them right away or should I finish the game first?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
More guns would be good from the start, I'd redeem it ASAP. As cool as the power weapons are, I still stick with the basic set up of assault/heavy/shotty. Really, all I use are the shotgun and my fully upgraded heavy machine gun. I can kill shit from close, and kill shit from afar, it's all I need.
As I said the power weapons are cool but with such limited ammo they don't last very long and I usually have to go back and find the weapon I dropped since I'm OCD about having tons of ammo.

I'll have to mix it up more on playthrough 2, d/ling the weapon pack will help.

awesome game, by the way

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game is incredible. I just killed a tank with a chainsaw in front of it by jet-sliding in slo mo and firing two rockets directly into it's weak spot.

You know how, in most games, your character does all the coolest shit in the cutscenes and you think "why can't I do that"? Well this game lets you do that. It's like playing those cutscenes and you're the one pulling off the ridiculously awesome stuff.

I'm a convert. Everyone should play this.

THE COLLAPSING HIGHWAY HOLY SHIT

Snuggler said:
You know how, in most games, your character does all the coolest shit in the cutscenes and you think "why can I do that"? Well this game lets you do that. It's like playing those cutscenes and you're the one pulling off the ridiculously awesome stuff.

This! So true. Things happen in-game that other games can only dream of. From small things like bosses introducing themselves by breaking through walls, to stuff like you described above.

Teknoman

Snuggler said:
This game is incredible. I just killed a tank with a chainsaw in front of it by jet-sliding in slo mo and firing two rockets directly into it's weak spot.

You know how, in most games, your character does all the coolest shit in the cutscenes and you think "why can't I do that"? Well this game lets you do that. It's like playing those cutscenes and you're the one pulling off the ridiculously awesome stuff.

Just started last night, reached that same point before I stopped playing. This game is like a 3d Contra style game done right. Controls are really easy to get used to, and you never feel totally overwhelmed. Gotta love qtes that actually mimic what the character is doing too. Crazy how much cutscene caliber stuff actually happens during gameplay/without taking you out of control, or just being something to stand and watch. When Burns says incoming ship, I thought a cutscene would kick in. Nope, the whole ship comes crashing down, and I didnt know whether to stand there and watch or slide out of there.

Also I remember posting my hopes that they would use a really cool sounding electronic soundtrack. Glad Platinum pulled through there :D

Under 50k units for Vanquish? Ouch :( I feel bad actually because I was one of the people interested in the game but I didn't buy it. Way too many other games to play, and with all the reviews saying Vanquish is light in content, I'll have to wait for the bargain bins.

It makes me think if Platinum Games is in trouble. Infinite Space, Madworld and now Vanquish have bombed horribly, and while Bayonetta managed to sell it 1.1 million units according to Wikipedia, it probably didn't perform as well as it was expected it either.

Ouch.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Shin_Kojima said:
I got a code for those guns and I've yet to start the game. Should I use them right away or should I finish the game first?

No. Use the other weapons avaliable as well. Each has their own benefits.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:

Haha, the problem is in Vanquish, the cutscenes are even more insane! Near the end I was like "What the-- oh, come on... now that's just ridic-- JESUS!" :lol

Just finished on Normal last night. Incredible. Everything I wanted it to be from beginning to end. Started a Casual playthrough to just bumrush through and not die, plus any straggler Trophies I can manage.

BeeDog

I'm at the beginning of Act 2, and this game freaking rocks. Just have a question; after I finish the game, can I play acts/missions of my choice?

BeeDog said:
Awesome, thanks! I suspect I won't keep my weapon upgrades though, right?

Probably doesn't matter anyway since I already achieved the lvl 10 upgrade trophy. :D
Yeah, upgrades don't carry over. Not really important since your performance is based off of skill and not necessarily how powerful your weapons are.

Top Bottom