• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

I've been playing with nunchuk/wiimote, but how does it work with wiimote on it's side? With the nunchuck there is analog movement. Do you hold down attack to run with wiimote on side?

Jintor

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
I've been playing with nunchuk/wiimote, but how does it work with wiimote on it's side? With the nunchuck there is analog movement. Do you hold down attack to run with wiimote on side?

Waggle

outside of hacking the Wii, no non-waggle controlset

Jintor said:
Waggle

outside of hacking the Wii, no non-waggle controlset

I wasn't asking how you roll with Wiimote on it's side, I was asking how you run (instead of walking slowly). With the nunchuck there is at least several different walking/running speeds.

No mind, I'll read the instruction booklet (which I haven't even touched).

Jintor

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
I wasn't asking how you roll with Wiimote on it's side, I was asking how you run (instead of walking slowly). With the nunchuck there is at least several different walking/running speeds.

No mind, I'll read the instruction booklet (which I haven't even touched).

Oh, sorry, was dashing off a post so I could watch a VGA trailer :lol Hmm, I dunno. I think I run when I used the sideways control, but now you've got me doubting myself

KevinCow

Banned
Son.Ralph.Funk said:

Hold 1.

heringer

Can't say I'm enjoying this.

I don't know, the controls are just too loose for my liking. I like platformers with crazy precise controls. DKR controls just feels unresponsive to me, and I'm not talking about the waggle.

Oh well. :(

heringer said:
Can't say I'm enjoying this.

I don't know, the controls are just too loose for my liking. I like platformers with crazy precise controls. DKR controls just feels unresponsive to me, and I'm not talking about the waggle.

Oh well. :(

What? The game is crazy precise. Use NES control scheme.

heringer

schennmu said:
What? The game is crazy precise. Use NES control scheme.

It's not like there's lag to an imput, it's just the way the physics of the game were made to behave. It doesn't have that split second responsiveness of New Super Mario Bros or Super Meat Boy because Donkey Kong is supposed to be heavy and the game tries to reproduce the feeling of a heavy gorilla running and jumping. It's a design choice for sure, but one that I can't say I like.

jarosh

loose? of all the platformers in the world dkc returns is loose? it's really damn tight if you ask me. even nsmb wii had looser controls than this and that was a great game. also: loose/floaty =/= unprecise. both are not mutually exclusive.

i'm wondering how anyone who loves 2d platformers, especially nsmb wii, could give this a 4/10. pretty baffling. and the complaint about not enough platforming seems kinda weird too. there is SO MUCH excellent 2d platforming in this game. i think mario galaxy 2 had way more distracting non-platforming sections: the bird levels, the bowling stuff, the ice skating mini games with the monkey, the ball rolling levels, the on-rails underwater levels with the turtle shell, the slides, the sand skating etc.

KevinCow

Banned
I can see what he means. DK definitely has a lot of weight to him, especially when he's in the air. It's not as easy to adjust your jumps when you're already in the air as it is in other platformers. And on ground, it takes DK a little while to get up to speed or change directions.

I think it's something you get used to, though.

Still, I wish there was a Diddy mode. I fiddled around with him a bit by just booting up a 2-player game and killing off DK, and he felt nice and quick. That's not a really good solution though, since you have to kill off DK again every time you die, and on top of that, you'll occasionally be interrupted by a message informing you that the first player controller has turned off.

Really, fiddling around with Diddy, it makes less and less sense that there isn't a Diddy mode. At first I thought it might be because DK can do some things that Diddy couldn't and having Diddy only would require them to do some new animations. But nope, Diddy can do everything DK can. Pound, blow, he even has his own animation for riding Rambi. Then I thought that maybe it was for cutscenes because they were prerendered and they already had DK and DK+Diddy versions and didn't want to do a third Diddy only version, but that's not it either. As far as I can tell, they're realtime, and they work fine with Diddy only.

So I dunno. It seems like a really weird omission. Hopefully someone will come up with a Gecko code for a Diddy mode.

heringer

KevinCow said:
I can see what he means. DK definitely has a lot of weight to him, especially when he's in the air. It's not as easy to adjust your jumps when you're already in the air as it is in other platformers. And on ground, it takes DK a little while to get up to speed or change directions.

I think it's something you get used to, though.
Thank you. That's exactly what I mean. I'm still on World 3, so maybe I'll get used to it, but so far It's really hampering my enjoyment.

[Nintex]

Wtf I had to encounter the same boss twice and found a nasty bug :(

This game is good, but not as great as NSMBWii. Some levels are just bad and not fun at all. 'Yay everything collapses around you!' ugh. There's no difficulty curve at all and the game is just a random unassorted mess of platform levels and control issues with a jungle theme. Not to mention the bosses, some are copied from Jungle Beat, others are copied in the game itself. Obviously rushed for the holiday season.

Maffis

The one-hit kills on the cart levels really piss me off. I hate those maps. The normal ones are great, but I can't stand those cart levels. World 4 is to blame.

jarosh

[Nintex] said:
Obviously rushed for the holiday season.
wtf. if there's one thing this game isn't, it's rushed. it had a fairly long development time for a 2d platformer and there's so much polish and attention to detail.

[Nintex] said:
There's no difficulty curve at all and the game is just a random unassorted mess of platform levels and control issues with a jungle theme.
seriously, uh, what game are you playing? this sounds nothing like the dkc returns I'M playing.

[Nintex]

jarosh said:
wtf. if there's one thing this game isn't, it's rushed. it had a fairly long development time for a 2d platformer and there's so much polish and attention to detail.

seriously, uh, what game are you playing? this sounds nothing like the dkc returns I'M playing.
I just played the Cliffs and it was just plain bad, they even re-used the first boss and gave him some sort of shield.

WillyFive

[Nintex] said:
I just played the Cliffs and it was just plain bad, they even re-used the first boss and gave him some sort of shield.

A re-occurring character means it's rushed?

I get what you are trying to say, but surely there are better examples than that.

[Nintex said:
]I just played the Cliffs and it was just plain bad, they even re-used the first boss and gave him some sort of shield.
The cliff is my favourite world in the whole game. All the stuff happening in the background and foreground, collapsing platforms included. :O Don't forget the fossils and dinosaurs! I'm loving it and the level of polish is amazing! I also love the fact that he doesn't float around like mario. The feeling of weight is just right for me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
[Nintex] said:
You mean like Very Gnawty and Really Gnawty from DKC and Krow and Kreepy Krow from DKC2?

agrajag

Banned
heringer said:
It's not like there's lag to an imput, it's just the way the physics of the game were made to behave. It doesn't have that split second responsiveness of New Super Mario Bros or Super Meat Boy because Donkey Kong is supposed to be heavy and the game tries to reproduce the feeling of a heavy gorilla running and jumping. It's a design choice for sure, but one that I can't say I like.

Yeah, I get the same thing. DK feels slippery to me. Sometimes when he lands on a platform it feels like he's going to slide off and I feel like I have to make an adjustment and end up running into a fireball or a trap of some sort.

jarosh

[Nintex] said:
every other boss in the original dkc was a clone and they all had extremely simplistic patterns and went down super fast. the "re-used" boss in dkcr you mention had many completely new attacks and behaved very differently overall. the fight as a whole played out uniquely too with how the terrain kept collapsing. it was also the only instance of a re-used boss (i wouldn't even call it that personally) that i encountered so far.

compare that to most of the classic mario games, which had endlessly recycled boss battles with only small changes and a very limited set of easily avoidable attacks. even the koopa kids were sprite swaps with minor differences in attack patterns. and the (superior) nsmb wii's koopalings were all very similar as well, just increasingly harder, a bit faster, with one or two new attacks etc. (that didn't really hurt the game much though and wasn't a sign of it being "rushed" or "unpolished".)

dkc returns on the other hand has really unique boss fights that all play out differently from one another. different terrain, unique patterns and strategies, climbing, jumping, throwing items, rolling etc. the bosses have a multitude of different attacks and they mix up their patterns all the time. they also require some patience to defeat, which i appreciate, since most 2d platformers have throwaway bosses that go down in 3 hits, before you ever get to see all of their attacks.

i also really enjoyed the cliffs world. i don't see the problem with collapsing platforms at all. they're a fairly old platforming trope and simply increase the challenge. i thought the collapsing levels were well balanced too with how they always gave you safe spots and checkpoints or barrel sections at just the right time.

daakusedo

Seeing the gallery for the golden temple it seems that it was intended to be a complete world and that's frustrating when you see some of the concepts.

I played the entire game with the sideways Wiimote. Are people saying this isn't ideal? I didn't even notice there to be any issues. And I guess I'm in the minority but the rocket levels weren't an issue either. Were they too hard for some or did they just not understand the physics?

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:

This game is good, but not as great as NSMBWii. Some levels are just bad and not fun at all. 'Yay everything collapses around you!' ugh. There's no difficulty curve at all and the game is just a random unassorted mess of platform levels and control issues with a jungle theme. Not to mention the bosses, some are copied from Jungle Beat, others are copied in the game itself. Obviously rushed for the holiday season.

Which bosses were copied from DKJB (don't have the game, I'm just interested)?

jarosh

evilromero said:
I played the entire game with the sideways Wiimote. Are people saying this isn't ideal? I didn't even notice there to be any issues. And I guess I'm in the minority but the rocket levels weren't an issue either. Were they too hard for some or did they just not understand the physics?
playing it with the remote sideways too. never had a problem. controls feel tight and responsive. tried with the nunchuck but i much prefer this. rocket barrel physics made sense and always felt right too, i like those levels. not a big fan of the mine cart levels though.

agrajag

Banned
I'm a big proponent of the rocket levels. I'd play a whole game like that. The only problem is, once again, I think the physics are a little off. There would be times when I'd see an obstacle and let go of the button so my rocket would duck under it, but it would still be flying upwards for a bit, instead of immediately dropping. That's some magical, gravity-defying momentum. That's my only complaint. But the clamoring for pointer or other control methods for the rocket barrels is misguided, I think. The limited control is what makes it fun, much like in the original Resident Evil games.

apana

Also wanted to say that the game looks amazing on my Plasma, doesn't get that whole grainy look like other Wii games do. Also the rocket levels are basically like calculator or Iphone games like SF Cave.

fernoca

Yeah, I'm loving this with the sideways Wii Remote.
Between this, Kirby, Metroid and Mario and kinda feel like back the in the NES days. :D :lol

I'm still early in 'Returns', so who knows.

Somnid

How many platformers don't repeat bosses with some difficulty boosters? It's certainly in every Mario game and every Donkey Kong game. [Nintex] is unequivocally in the wrong.

[Nintex] said:

You're insane. This game smokes NSMBWii.

Maffis said:
The one-hit kills on the cart levels really piss me off. I hate those maps. The normal ones are great, but I can't stand those cart levels. World 4 is to blame.

I'm stuck here too. They're pretty rough. I seem to remember being equally as frustrated with the minecart levels from the original games so it brings back some memories. Overall this is one of the best platformers I've played in a long time. I think I like it more than the Galaxy series...

agrajag

Banned
apana said:
Also wanted to say that the game looks amazing on my Plasma, doesn't get that whole grainy look like other Wii games do. Also the rocket levels are basically like calculator or Iphone games like SF Cave.

SF Cave has better physics imo. I used to play the shit out of SF Cave and it never felt like it was anyone's fault but my own when I died. It's frustrating, but in a good way. Whereas the rocket levels in DKCR can feel cheap, but I love the idea of them and they are mostly fun.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Willy105 said:
A re-occurring character means it's rushed?

I get what you are trying to say, but surely there are better examples than that.
If you read the Iwata asks you can kinda get the implication that it was rushed.

I really wonder what the budget of the game was.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
schennmu said:
You're insane. This game smokes NSMBWii.

I disagree. DKCR is certainly a far more creative and imaginative game (Not that NSMB Wii is unimaginative!) but NSMB is a joy to play. The controls are crisp and flawless. THe use of motion controls is a part of this - DK's are too finicky while Mario's are simply and intuitive to use. The hit detection in DK is all out of whack - there is a dead, reliable certainty to my actions in Mario which means that every mistake is my own. In DK there's some odd inconsistencies in killing enemies, landing appropriately or double jumping.

evilromero said:

Sideways wiimote is great - I preferred it over nunchuk combo - but now that I am using the CC, I love the game even more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dascu said:
Wait, you can do a jump in mid-air during a roll?

So that's how you get those puzzle pieces and KONG letters.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Instro

Dascu said:
Wait, you can do a jump in mid-air during a roll?

So that's how you get those puzzle pieces and KONG letters.

Works exactly the same as the original DKC games. Ive been playing sideways wiimote btw, havent had any issues yet.

totowhoa

Banned
daakusedo said:
Seeing the gallery for the golden temple it seems that it was intended to be a complete world and that's frustrating when you see some of the concepts.

It was obviously a last minute design choice to handle it the way that they did, which kind of stinks considering what you got in dkc2 and 3 :/ Still had a lot of fun with the bonus mode, though. Only have three more levels and two more bosses to finish up in it.

apana

Amir0x said:
Super Meat Boy is easily on par with Yoshi's Island (and Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games of all time) and infinitely better than DKCR. See, Super Meat Boy is about platforming. There's no mine fuckin' cart worlds or diversionary rocket barrel levels or some retarded riding on a rhino or some shit. Or endless repeat banana bonus rooms for puzzle pieces. Or stopping to blow fucking dandelions. Or fucking awkwardly stomping the ground so you can pop open a cactus or some shit. It's platforming.. straight up. With some of the best platforming physics/momentum/controls in the business. Where it matters, SMB wins. And what matters in platforming is ultra precise controls with no lag, no input foibles based around waggle, no literal trial-and-error like DKCR so often is.

You said SMB is trial-and-error, but there is no trial-and-error in the game. Not even once. In fact, it pretty much betrays your intent since it says you don't know what trial and error means. In SMB, you always know exactly how to get to the end. You always know exactly what your obstacles are. You always know exactly how fucking brutal it's going to be. It's not like DKCR where you're riding a mine cart and fuck some bomb blows up the track and you die because you didn't memorize that part or the precise moment when you should launch yourself to make another track. No, in Super Meat Boy the only thing between you and the goal is your skills. And the more you improve, the further you get. No controls stand in your way, no diversionary crap fills the rims, no wasted levels. Even bosses are platforming challenges.

DKCR has one thing over meatboy, obviously, and that's a bigger budget and there's more shit going on in the background and such. Like, if you need your platformers to constantly be throwing, um, bugs at you and like collapsing rolling tracks then you'll prefer it to SMB.

So your complaint is basically that you have to remember to jump in certain areas? Like when the mole throws bombs at the track.

Top Bottom