• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nuclear Muffin said:
That's great! Could you add the DSiXL and Game Gear by any chance?

LOL @ the PSP2 being almost the same size as the Nomad!

the form factor kills it for me. I just can't see myself walking around with that in my pocket listening to music like I do with my iPod Touch.

But the games...man they look good. I'll wait to see what the iPhone 5 offers, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EatChildren said:
So, 3DS gets a port of a game from the better half of the franchise, while the PSP2 gets a port of a game from the worse half?

Problem, Sony?

ujelly?
PSP2 isn't getting a port of MGS4. That was simply designed to show that they could bring their PS3 code onto PSP2 fairly easily. From what I sounds, Kojima is planning a new game for PSP2.

I think everyone realizes that MGS4 would be a terrible portable game.

I haven't gone through all the pages yet...but it will be interesting to see the region locking, if any...

Sony has taken the lead on this in recent years, with the PS3 being open (thank you bluray) and the psp being region free...

with the move to the new flash based media, it will be interesting to see how they decide to act...

the psp was my system of choice thanks to all the awesome JP games that never made it stateside...and it was an importers dream console...IMO...

that's make it or break it for me...

I will say this intro of NGP has put a small damper on my 3DS order

jjasper

Grecco said:
"Saving" the announcements of THQ and EA makes little sense.
Yeah especially considering activsion and epic went on stage. Although I am sure someone will ask EA today and we will get a statement on it.

Russell

This thing will have deeper black levels than my 50-inch Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M. That fact alone makes this a day one purchase for me.

WillyFive

I'm LTTP as well, but I am disappointed in that they used the GBA design again, after the PSP Go.

Now that they are using small Flash cards like Nintendo, there was no reason to use such a large and cumbersome design (other than to house the high end hardware apparently).

The graphics, 3G, and the rear touch pad are really nice, though.

Willy105 said:
I'm LTTP as well, but I am disappointed in that they used the GBA design again, after the PSP Go.

Now that they are using small Flash cards like Nintendo, there was no reason to use such a large and cumbersome design (other than to house the high end hardware apparently).

The graphics, 3G, and the rear touch pad are really nice, though.

rumor is that there were overheating problems with a slider design

Salaadin said:
MGS4? Nice. I wonder if we will be getting MGS4 portable or a new MGS portable game. Another portable title with the level of awesome as MGS PW will sell me on this system.
Same here. PW was my portable GotY last year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm disappointed I didn't see any news on BC for PSP, but since they are going with Flash memory instead. It's understandable and preferred. The cards are really that much better for portable gaming. It also doesn't look like it made tremendous strides from the PSPVer 3, but again, it's still a vast improvement over what could have been. I can get over the lack of improve portability and no BC. But that software list is criminally bad. It was everything wrong with the PSP's line-up and it seems to be repeating once more.

Doctor_No

Personally, the most interesting part is the cross-platform Playstation certification.

In a few years mobile phones will inevitably catch up in power to the NGP (especially being that Sony is using ARM and SGX cores). Sony fully knows this and anticipates it.

The point isn't to fight the mobile market, like Nintendo, its rather to integrate itself within it. When mobile phones do ultimately catch up, Android phones can gain have the ability to play NGP games much like the Xperia Play thru the "Playstation certified" process. As the specifications evolve on phones, what they are able to play will evolve with it. At first it'll be PS1, PSP games, later smart phones will play recompiled PS2 re-releases and NGP games. So we're seeing the specifications of the "Playstation" brand become more nebulous.

This is a unique niche that their competitors can't capitalize off of. Apple is heavily invested in the iOS, Microsoft in Windows Phone 7, Nintendo is too far removed from integrating its platform with smartphones due to its 3D screen and dual-screen platform.

Sony will benefit from getting its platform onto millions of Android devices (Android sells 5 million units a month). Phone makers benefit from having their device play Playstation games. Developers benefit from massive and persistent user base that spans beyond a single generational device from a single brand.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Why aren't they showing more of the screen off? The blacks on this thing will be amazing. Need some movie footage

darkwing

shintoki said:
I'm disappointed I didn't see any news on BC for PSP, but since they are going with Flash memory instead. It's understandable and preferred. The cards are really that much better for portable gaming. It also doesn't look like it made tremendous strides from the PSPVer 3, but again, it's still a vast improvement over what could have been. I can get over the lack of improve portability and no BC. But that software list is criminally bad.

it will run PSP games from the PSN store

wsippel

Banned
Bastion said:
Has anyone noticed that EA is not on the current list of developers? I need Madden on this device!!
Not only EA. THQ is also not listed, as are Atlus, Kuju (Headstrong), most f9E studios, firebrand, 5th Cell, WayForward...

EDIT: My bad, overlooked Atlus.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Teetris said:
Why aren't they showing more of the screen off? The blacks on this thing will be amazing. Need some movie footage
Well, because unless your monitor is an OLED, you can't really see how it looks.

ZoddGutts

shintoki said:
I'm disappointed I didn't see any news on BC for PSP, but since they are going with Flash memory instead. It's understandable and preferred. The cards are really that much better for portable gaming. It also doesn't look like it made tremendous strides from the PSPVer 3, but again, it's still a vast improvement over what could have been. I can get over the lack of improve portability and no BC. But that software list is criminally bad.

PSP, mini, PS One games on the store will work on the PSP2/NGB.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
One of my main concerns is that if Sony will allow devs to develop 2D games for this system.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
shintoki said:

It has BC with digitally downloaded PSP games.

Now, some mechanism to transfer UMD games to a memory storage would be nice for UMD catalogs, but dunno if that's on the cards or even technically feasible from a piracy-protection POV.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For some reason the PSP never really clicked with me but from what I'm seeing this thing looks really cool. I love the idea of the rear touch pad in conjunction with standard controls and touch controls. It adds another layer of interactivity so that the NGP can have experiences that are unique from what's happening in the console space, something that I feel that the PSP never really did. They always just seemed like watered down console games. These seem like they add some unique mechanics to already tested playstyles to make them seem worthwhile in their own right.

5391827373_a02359bc7e_b.jpg

Amazingly hot.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Yeah, but get a non-shovelware developer to make it.
The only thing that vaguely made Bend a lacking developer was that they made games that were all very reliant on camera control for a system with no second analog. Now that they've got that, they're golden.

edit: Oh, you weren't talking about Bend. But note that everyone thought you were.

spwolf

comments.
a. how the heck do you manage to port a ps3 game to it in 7 days?
b. how the heck do they have PSP emulator working there?
c. wish it had PSP Go form factor
d. like what they did with graphics on back touch panel
e. sony will be losing money on it? awesome.
f. Android VM on PSP? Who was right? :).

gofreak said:
It has BC with digitally downloaded PSP games.

Now, some mechanism to transfer UMD games to a memory storage would be nice for UMD catalogs, but dunno if that's on the cards or even technically feasible from a piracy-protection POV.
we shouldn't let sony make more promises of that

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
darkwing said:
it will run PSP games from the PSN store
See, I don't own any PSP games from the PSN store. And I also figured it would even before it even launched. The digital stuff was a shoe unless they really want to piss off people.

Problem is I own 5 PSP retail titles.

Mikey Jr.

Holy fuck that is a lot of tech packed into one device.

How much is this thing going to be, and who the fuck is buying it? Over 300 for a handheld is waaaay too fucking much.

Looks great. Don't really care about the clunky design as I wouldn't be travelling anywhere with it. When it goes sub $200 I'm going to take a serious look at it. Until then I'll just remain jealous.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Teetris said:
Because the blacks won't look noticeably more amazing on our less than amazing monitors?

WillyFive

Mikey Jr. said:
Holy fuck that is a lot of tech packed into one device.

How much is this thing going to be, and who the fuck is buying it? Over 300 for a handheld is waaaay too fucking much.

If they can advertise it as more than a gaming machine, like an iPhone and such, I'm sure it will be able to sustain itself.

gofreak said:

Will not happen. Licencing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom