• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

Wow, it is huge and judging by those software vids the thing is pretty much a beast. Fantastic ! Glad to wake up to this =) .

Binabik15

Doctor_No said:
Personally, the most interesting part is the cross-platform Playstation certification.

In a few years mobile phones will inevitably catch up in power to the NGP (especially being that Sony is using ARM and SGX cores). Sony fully knows this and anticipates it.

The point isn't to fight the mobile market, like Nintendo, its rather to integrate itself within it. When mobile phones do ultimately catch up, Android phones can gain have the ability to play NGP games much like the Xperia Play thru the "Playstation certified" process. As the specifications evolve on phones, what they are able to play will evolve with it. At first it'll be PS1, PSP games, later smart phones will play recompiled PS2 re-releases and NGP games. So we're seeing the specifications of the "Playstation" brand become more nebulous.

This is a unique niche that their competitors can't capitalize off of. Apple is heavily invested in the iOS, Microsoft in Windows Phone 7, Nintendo is too far removed from integrating its platform with smartphones due to its 3D screen and dual-screen platform.

Sony will benefit from getting its platform onto millions of Android devices (Android sells 5 million units a month). Phone makers benefit from having their device play Playstation games. Developers benefit from massive and persistent user base that spans beyond a single generational device from a single brand.

Good thinking.

I never thought about PS Suite (?) getting full PSP2 games in a few years, that´d be a brilliant way to make sure the userbase WILL be there no matter what. I wonder if it was Google who came up with this.

Edit: is the front cam that little thing between square and triangle? That looks like you´ll smudge/scratch it easily while playing.

dark10x said:
PSP2 isn't getting a port of MGS4. That was simply designed to show that they could bring their PS3 code onto PSP2 fairly easily. From what I sounds, Kojima is planning a new game for PSP2.

I think everyone realizes that MGS4 would be a terrible portable game.
Then again, if the MGS trilogy for PS3 rumour is true, it wouldn't be surprising to me if MGS Trilogy + MGS 4 was released for this thing.

I think these news are exciting, but the problem is I don't feel much excitement for this device yet (except its nice that its touch sensitive now!). It feels like a beefy tech portable machine, but needs something more unique to present to make it feel different. Look forward to hear what type of games will be announced.

infinityBCRT said:
Then again, if the MGS trilogy for PS3 rumour is true, it wouldn't be surprising to me if MGS Trilogy + MGS 4 was released for this thing.
i just really hope it's something new. great for people that want to play these games again, but i rather see some new stuff.

I don't know how to describe it, but this thing looks kind of 'toy'ish to me. I must be used to the straight-line designs of Apple that everyone has replicated. It looks pretty comfortable to hold.

WillyFive

storafötter said:
I think these news are exciting, but the problem is I don't feel much excitement for this device yet (except its nice that its touch sensitive now!). It feels like a beefy tech portable machine, but needs something more unique to present to make it feel different. Look forward to hear what type of games will be announced.

The games will be the judge of that, I think. If Sony can deliver like Nintendo did, the PSP2 will have no problem getting some fans.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
shintoki said:
See, I don't own any PSP games from the PSN store. And I also figured it would even before it even launched. The digital stuff was a shoe unless they really want to piss off people.

Problem is I own 5 PSP retail titles.
So you were hoping they'd somehow integrate UMD support on a system that was clearly not going to have a UMD drive?

I have 50+ UMD games, so yep, that sure would have been super great... But I'm also aware that I don't live in Fairytale Land, so expectations were tempered accordingly.

shintoki said:
See, I don't own any PSP games from the PSN store. And I also figured it would even before it even launched. The digital stuff was a shoe unless they really want to piss off people.

Problem is I own 5 PSP retail titles.
You're complaining about 5 games? Some of us have a shit ton more than that. Hopefully there will be some kind of trade-in program.
Shig said:
I have 50+ UMD games, so yep, that sure would have been super great... But I'm also aware that I don't live in Fairytale Land so expectations were tempered accordingly.
Expecting some form of BC in a handheld isn't an unreasonable expectation.

ViolentP

Mikey Jr. said:
Holy fuck that is a lot of tech packed into one device.

How much is this thing going to be, and who the fuck is buying it? Over 300 for a handheld is waaaay too fucking much.

People who don't need to use the word "fuck" in every sentence tend to have jobs that allow them to afford a $300 device.

Willy105 said:
The games will be the judge of that, I think. If Sony can deliver like Nintendo did, the PSP2 will have no problem getting some fans.
we have E3 and TGS (i guess for 2012 titles). Looks like really NGP will be the new focus unless they still decide to show off more MOVE and 3D titles ;o. i can't wait seeing as I like the list from the JP supporter. just need to know if it's region free and i'm set.

Grisby

An interesting device to wake up to thats for sure. The system looks fine and already I like the idea of having two thumb-sticks as opposed to one.

slider

Willy105 said:
If they can advertise it as more than a gaming machine, like an iPhone and such, I'm sure it will be able to sustain itself.

Some compelling apps for on the move? Mapping (with the GPS) perhaps? I guess 3G would be crucial for that but, once again, implementation. Messaging too? Music (it's a given I'd assme)? But... I dunno. Too many unknowns at this stage.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ViolentP said:
People who don't need to use the word "fuck" in every sentence tend to have jobs that allow them to afford a $300 device.
He looked a right cunt

Russell

Teetris said:
The blacks on this thing will be amazing.
This. This. This.

Most people underestimate just how important black level is to picture quality. The deeper the black level, the better the picture quality. In my opinion, the 'holy grail' of picture quality is when a display emits no light when showing the color black. This is not possible with LCD technology.

With PSP2 and its OLED screen, the 'holy grail' has finally been achieved.

-viper-

Banned
HOLY FUCK AT THE GRAPHICS.

Day one.

Also, I like the big screen size. Sure, it looks like the PSP1, but, the layout looks excellent.

jmdajr

Saint Gregory said:
You're complaining about 5 games? Some of us have a shit ton more than that. Hopefully there will be some kind of trade-in program.

Not gonna happen.

Carlisle

Pretty impressed with everything I've seen/read. My main concern is software development costs though. If this can run PS3 quality games, I can see a lot of the incentive to producing multi-million dollar games for NGP evaporating since portable games historically sell less than console games. At that budget and at this level of tech, devs would be better off making a console game and releasing it for PS3/360/PC and tripling their potential audience than releasing exclusively on a new, expensive portable.

Yes, there are the Minis and other indie-dev programs, but it's the "middle-class" devs that will shy away the most from this I think. Of course the big budget studios won't have trouble at least testing the waters. And the indie devs will keep making their games, but I think the decent devs who are bigger than indie studios but not quite power houses will have a hard time signing up for this.

One thing I think we'll see is games released for PS3/360/NGP to help compensate for and justify the development costs, but that won't sell NGP units... you need solid AAA exclusives for that or the thing won't have very long legs.

wsippel

Banned
Doctor_No said:
Personally, the most interesting part is the cross-platform Playstation certification.

In a few years mobile phones will inevitably catch up in power to the NGP (especially being that Sony is using ARM and SGX cores). Sony fully knows this and anticipates it.

The point isn't to fight the mobile market, like Nintendo, its rather to integrate itself within it. When mobile phones do ultimately catch up, Android phones can gain have the ability to play NGP games much like the Xperia Play thru the "Playstation certified" process. As the specifications evolve on phones, what they are able to play will evolve with it. At first it'll be PS1, PSP games, later smart phones will play recompiled PS2 re-releases and NGP games. So we're seeing the specifications of the "Playstation" brand become more nebulous.

This is a unique niche that their competitors can't capitalize off of. Apple is heavily invested in the iOS, Microsoft in Windows Phone 7, Nintendo is too far removed from integrating its platform with smartphones due to its 3D screen and dual-screen platform.

Sony will benefit from getting its platform onto millions of Android devices (Android sells 5 million units a month). Phone makers benefit from having their device play Playstation games. Developers benefit from massive and persistent user base that spans beyond a single generational device from a single brand.
The problem with this idea is that by that time, developers and publishers don't need some odd "Playstation certificate" anymore and Sony won't get a share. Then what?

saw on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/SeedStudios/status/30635544501297152
Happy to see the buzz around #psp2. That´s a great opportunity for our next projects. Stay around with us. #NGP #psn #Undersiege

The guys behind the ps3 game Under Siege.

Tak Fuji said:
Haven't been there but PSP2 is extreeeeemely cool for sure RT @psnstores you at the sony event today... i hear psp2 is eeeeeeextreme

Oh kass <3

An-Det

Looks like a solid machine, and the game support will be great once it gets going. Going to wait for revisions like I always do, but I'll definitely be picking one up eventually. The thing looks awesome, and fuck yeah dual analog.

Russell said:
This. This. This.

Most people underestimate just how important black level is to picture quality. The deeper the black level, the better the picture quality. In my opinion, the 'holy grail' of picture quality is when a display emits no light when showing the color black.

With PSP2, the 'holy grail' has finally been achieved.
Pretty much, yes. OLED is fucking awesome and I love the display on my Zune HD and that's only 3.3". I can't imagine how it looks at 5". Damn ...

longdi

Banned
The spirit of Kutaragi lives, this thing is loaded with power! But besides the hardware, i am not too optimistic, felt like the same old Sony just doesn't get it.

The days of talking about games are over, NGP needed to have a cool marketable feature but it turned out too big and the new Home screen is F'ugly, its reveal did not get the kind of reaction that iPad did. I blame Sony unadventurous following of Nintendo footsteps by keeping the old design. Should have at least gone for PSPGo design. By making NGP too gamey, they cannot price it too high. I am not sure my average working colleges (25-35) would want to buy that when they already use a iPhone5.

I hope it comes with a real web browser and Sony own ebook reader to use the OLED screen and provide a secondary function to compete with other large portable like iPad and Dell Streak.

Chavelo

Can someone hold me and tell me that this time it'll be okay? I'm so getting one, but god... Sony has broken my heart so many times when I'm out the house...

Please...

Hold me. D:

Kikujiro said:
Only children and people without any sense of fashion carry DSs and PSPs in their pockets. They're huge and uncomfortable.

But I live in Italy and we like to dress well, maybe that's the difference.

does your bag match your heels?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'll stay informed about it's progress.

I was expecting a type of tablet computer to be honest.

shintoki said:
I'm disappointed I didn't see any news on BC for PSP, but since they are going with Flash memory instead. It's understandable and preferred. The cards are really that much better for portable gaming. It also doesn't look like it made tremendous strides from the PSPVer 3, but again, it's still a vast improvement over what could have been. I can get over the lack of improve portability and no BC. But that software list is criminally bad. It was everything wrong with the PSP's line-up and it seems to be repeating once more.
It's BC with all PSN content.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Saint Gregory said:
And it has some form of it.

Expecting it to magically do something with a physical format it clearly won't be able to even accept is sort of unreasonable, yeah.

I think you know what I mean. I like the upgrade but I don't like having to rebuy my entire catalog. It's like DVD->Blu-ray all over again :(
That's a bad analogy; DVDs work just fine on Blu-ray players. It's more like expecting VHSes to work with DVD players. By what, osmosis?

longdi said:
The days of talking about games are over.

Some people will never get it...

Saint Gregory said:
I think you know what I mean. I like the upgrade but I don't like having to rebuy my entire catalog. It's like DVD->Blu-ray all over again :(

Blu-Ray drives can play DVDs just fine. Or did you want them to magically upscale your DVDs to 1080p with no quality loss?

With the hardware specs it has and the extra storage most dev's leave on a PS3 blu ray, I can see 80$ PS3 games being sold that include the exact ported game for PSP2 so you can take your game on the go and then play it back on PS3 when home.

This is my ideal usage for this device. Would help me get back into RPG's. I would love to grind during my commutes then enjoy the story aspects when home. Hell this even works for GT5 hahah.

iceatcs

Wow, it is almost like gamer dream machine. Real analogy sticks!!!

Now I hope there will be legally non-sony emulators, example snesoid/ScummVM, also PS2 can be DD. Then I will sell my sperm. :p

RpgN

NGP looks pretty, oval design looks slick and you could hold it more easily, we'll see. I'm really liking the new interface with background music behind it, the way the interface is designed reminds me of Nintendo's approach with the wii. More user friendly and inviting.

I'm surprised games will be stored on flashcard now, backwards compatibility with psp through psn, different SKU's without 3G. Sony commenting that the price will be affordable etc. It seems that Sony has learned some of its mistakes and is trying to give choice instead of forcing features on people and deciding wether to DD or retail is entirely up to you. If their management and implementation works out, then they might be able to hit the sweet spot and make it very attractive for all kinds of consumers.

Before reading the rumours a few days ago, I've never heard of OLED before or the use of touch screen through the back. With OLED I was interested but I wasn't sure if the rear touch screen was necessary. The demo with that little deviant (looking a bit like animal crossing kinda) made me more excited for the idea. And OLED looks sharp and gorgeous, this is absolutely worth going into that direction. I find OLED far more important than having 3D effect, from what we've seen so far, it only offer advantages and improvements. 3D is more like a gimmick to me and when I get a 3DS (whenever) it will be for games only.

Overall, I'm very excited from what I've seen of NGP today but I'm trying not to be hyped nor too excited. They're only going to show advantages and the bad reports will follow later (judging from what happened with the 3DS). The price is a big deal and it might become expensive, I hope they really mean it when they say they'll keep that in mind. And I hope Sony keeps its devices region free, that would be a big plus and big relieve. Also, from what we've all noticed, Sony is throwing a lot of features at you. It could work out great and awesome games with different input methods. But it could also go horribly wrong and throw complicated input methods on one game, or games not being taken advantage of. Lastly, the games seem to be tentitive titles (general killzone, wipeout etc). I hope they offcially announce those games and more. Gravity Daze (or something) looks very interesting, but I'm afraid it might be another one of those games that end up being cancelled like a certain ps3 game. When the ps3 was announced, there was one game that looked interesting to me with 2 girls that are agents and talking directly to the player, it's a shame it has been cancelled since. So, less hype and show the real thing please!

One thing is certain, Sony is very ambitious and going all out. I admire them for that and it makes me excited. Nintendo is holding back with technology on various things just because they're cheap and like to save costs. I was hoping they'd go more out.

Dennis

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
How are those analog sticks going to work?

They stick up and off the face of the device, does that mean the days of putting in your pocket are over?
Yes, they are over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom