• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speevy said:
$799 US Dollars

I woke up this morning and I have to say I am sufficiently blown away by what I have seen. That Uncharted demo and the MSG4 tech demo are sheer insanity but I can't imagine this being anything less than the price of a new console.

That all said holy shit this thing is amazing. Looks like Sony listened.

One thing I have been secretly hoping for was true depth 3D.

anddo0

AwakenedCloud said:
Will be on it if Birth by Sleep gets a PSN release.

BC is being done through PSN. So, it most likely will be there at some point (hopefully Crisis Core as well). Square could also do a re-release on the new flash cards.

Looks nice (graphically) and shiny and high-tech. And Wipeout will probably be amazing on this buuuut....eh. I think I'll just settle for a 3DS. I have a feeling that it will have a software lineup with more variety. Plus Megaman Legends 3 has me more sold than any Killzone or Uncharted title ever will.

Durante said:
I don't really think so. Power? The difference is similar magnituse, maybe slightly less pronounced on the GPU side (maybe actually more pronounced on the CPU!). Input methods? NGP has all that 3DS plus tons more -- really an enormous variety. 3D? 3DS has it, NGP doesn't. They do use a similar physical distribution mechanism, I guess there's that.

Fixed. (Well, except reading if it's a PenTile layout)

Just curious, what is it about the Hardware on the 3DS that makes 3D possible that couldn't be done on the NGP?

It's something I've been thinking about, obviously with games that use the gyroscope it couldn't work, but other than that, can it not create the same effect? And of course there's nothing stopping 3D with glasses other than power.

With the possibility of true PS3 <-> PSP2 connectivity looming, Sony needs to get our game saved to the cloud asap. Make it a feature of PSN +

Do we have any hands on reports? Unlike the PSP and PSP-GO the hardware doesn't look like shit and maybe I can actually enjoy playing games on this thing.

gutterboy44 said:
With the possibility of true PS3 <-> PSP2 connectivity looming, Sony needs to get our games saved to the cloud asap. Make it a feature of PSN +

Absolutely. The biggest selling point for me is if I could continue my stat building with Call of Duty on the handheld and have it transfer easily over to the console.

Clipjoint

What I love about the NGP is the immense potential for innovative gameplay. Front touchscreen, rear touchpad, front and back facing cameras, GPS, 3G, gyro...the truly creative devs are going to have so many avenues for real innovation that enhances the experience. Location based online gaming, augmented reality, tight console-style controls - really, the possibilities are endless. All we need is developers to think outside the box. The tools are all there, and none of them feel gimmicky.

I love the idea of 3D on the 3DS, but the implications of 3D on gameplay are fairly minimal. That's not the case with the NGP's add-ons.

Brera said:
A portable PS3 isn't as appealing as a portable PS2 was 6 years ago. Same goes for the 3DS, I'm not too interested in any of the games presented by either side.

1. Take Okami, Odin Sphere, Muramasa

2. Make it 60FPS

3. ????

4. MY EYES!

5. Profit.

What a great piece of news to wake up to. This thing looks amazing. I'm 100% sure I'll own one. Whether or not it'll be day one depends on the price. I'm so glad Sony decided to go this route. I'm looking forward to the 3DS as well, for different reasons, and I'm happy that Sony didn't try to ape them. I enjoy casual games on iOS, too, but these needs are covered. For PSP2, I wanted to see a tech powerhouse suited to hardcore gaming, and it looks like they didn't disappoint.

Doctor_No

Binabik15 said:
Good thinking.

I never thought about PS Suite (?) getting full PSP2 games in a few years, that´d be a brilliant way to make sure the userbase WILL be there no matter what. I wonder if it was Google who came up with this.

Edit: is the front cam that little thing between square and triangle? That looks like you´ll smudge/scratch it easily while playing.

I would suspect that Google knew full well of these plans. I think the general expectation is that ARM is going to propagate throughout most devices (even Windows 8 will have an ARM version), and with such commonality in hardware a cross-device gaming platform is inevitable.

Hirai in the conference had the slide "hardware neutral", I think the question becomes how far is Sony willing to take this. Will be see this "Playstation" suite of games coming to Google TV as well? Will we see Samsung TVs integrated with Google TV play these "Playstation certified" games? How about PCs?

There is a lot of opportunity here beyond portables. And Google seems to be the foundation of this plan. Sony I'm sure wouldn't mind having these PS games running on the iOS or WP7 but that certainly won't happen since Apple and MS won't allow it. But the "Playstation certified" is a huge gamble and is designed to the PS brand beyond just Sony products and Smartphones.

wsippel said:
The problem with this idea is that by that time, developers and publishers don't need some odd "Playstation certificate" anymore and Sony won't get a share. Then what?

This is the major challenge for Sony.

Which is why their strategy seems to try to put itself ahead of the curve. There is no point for phone makers to put in a quad-core ARM A9 and a quad-core GPU right now even if they could. There is nothing that will run it. The current state of Android gaming should be an indication of how uncompetitive a market it is.

Sony's goal is to insure that by the time that such hardware becomes common enough that there would be a huge library of AAA titles via the NGP will already run on it. That the Android store doesn't become an option, NGP will be established, especially if its getting PS3 ports.

The delicate balance for Sony as it moves to a 'hardware neutral' platform to a software and services platform is how it'll deal with cross-platform engine makers like Epic's Unreal, Id's Rage, etc. This is Sony's real competitor (and partner).

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Clipjoint said:
What I love about the NGP is the immense potential for innovative gameplay. Front touchscreen, rear touchpad, front and back facing cameras, GPS, 3G, gyro...the truly creative devs are going to have so many avenues for real innovation that enhances the experience. Location based online gaming, augmented reality, tight console-style controls - really, the possibilities are endless. All we need is developers to think outside the box. The tools are all there, and none of them feel gimmicky.

I love the idea of 3D on the 3DS, but the implications of 3D on gameplay are fairly minimal. That's not the case with the NGP's add-ons.
this motherfucker stole my thought

longdi

Banned
I am reading those major international news sites and i found 3 out of 4 did not mention the power of NGP, talk about putting those specs to waste. Most of them did not sound too enthusiastic, almost reporting for the sake of reporting.

I also heard NGP does not have a video out....not good. I hope that changes by holidays 2011, along with the ugly Home "bubbles".

onken

Well had some time for it all to sink in now.

-holy fuck, the features - simply incredible
-yay dual sticks, though I'd have preferred them up top I think to prevent thumb cramp, oh well I'm prepared to give it a chance
-they're actually proper sticks, praise the lord! Can't wait to try them.
-design is ok, seems big. Not ugly but not super-sexy like the Go, either. Back pattern is a nice touch.
-not a big fan of the new UI but it makes sense to play to the strengths of the touchpad and have everything displayed at once (which you can't do with XMB currently)
-not sure what to think about that back touchpad, at least we'll be able to use it for L2/R2 for PS1/2 games.
-impressively thin.
-no TV out but hopefully that will be possible via the proprietary port (DS3 support too a la Go should be a given, right?)
-if the price was same as 3DS they would have said so, knock even more wind out of Nintendo's sails. I'm sticking to my $300 for base unit and $400 for 3G + more storage + some bundled crap.

I thought after seeing those Bravias with Depth 3D last year that the PSP2 was definitely going to have that tech. I wonder if they tried it. Probably cost prohibitive.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I hope Sony is building an App Store outside of gaming for it. They have everything they need now to start copying Apple.

PSP2 is way too big, but I love it. It will definitely have a place next to my iPhone, iPad and 3DS on my night table.

matmanx1

Looks like everything I want in a hand held device. Sony really did a good job on the feature list for this thing. Hand held gaming for me is all about sitting on the sofa next to the wife while she watches TV or propped up in bed before heading off to sleep. This device should accomplish those tasks wonderfully.

On the go gaming will be more difficult due to the size and we will definitely need some good carrying cases for this thing. It's not "pocket friendly" but it sure is awesome in other ways.

And I'm definitely calling $299 for Holiday 2011.

matmanx1 said:
Looks like everything I want in a hand held device. Sony really did a good job on the feature list for this thing. Hand held gaming for me is all about sitting on the sofa next to the wife while she watches TV or propped up in bed before heading off to sleep. This device should accomplish those tasks wonderfully.

On the go gaming will be more difficult due to the size and we will definitely need some good carrying cases for this thing. It's not "pocket friendly" but it sure is awesome in other ways.

And I'm definitely calling $299 for Holiday 2011.

If its $300 and allows complete cloud functionality with my PS3 games I'm there day one.
I got to start a lawn mowing business.

It's strange to think that there will be "Playstation cartridges" for the first time ever. Discs are such an iconic part of the Playstation identity, from PS1 CDs to PS2 DVDs, PS3 Blu-Rays and PSP UMDs. Playstation has always equaled "spinning disc".

Cartman86

Banned
So based on the pics it seems there is only one input that could be for either power charging or transferring (i'd imagine power). But this port is not USB or anything I've seen before. Combine that with this article saying...

According to Yoshida, the memory cards are proprietary to the device rather than just regular SD cards -- likely a move to help avoid easy piracy.

It seems like there may be no way to transfer content from a PC to the device? Unless that power input also supports some sort of special Sony USB cable.

It seems strange to me that they would get rid of such an obvious feature that both the iphone and Android use to great effect. There is no way this is true though right? The device does have a Music player so there has to be way to get your music onto it. Sony Wifi syncing software similar to itunes confirmed?!?!

EDIT: I suppose that plug could be one end Sony and one end USB for charging and transferring in one cable...

Maxrunner

Maleficence said:
Nintendo make cheap outdated shit so they can iterate on it slightly constantly to make big bucks. People buy into it so easily too, still the 3DS is probably the biggest change so far, and does look decent, but the draw of 3D is outdone by all the features in the NGP. The games are looking good so far too.

Snes, N64 and Gamecube proves you're wrong, Sony just likes to throw money away and have their other departments to back it up in case things go too wrong. Nintendo is only Nintendo....Nitnendo DS made the normal jump from the GBA....Sony just went out and jumped to next gen early with the psp.....

I had such low expectations for this thing that I am kind of still reeling from the announcement. I can't get over how crazy Uncharted looks.

MightyKAC

Relieved that it's:
- PSP backward compatible
- got a dual analog nubs
- won't skimp on the visuals
- has front and rear touch controls

Disappointed that it's:

- not a sliding unit
- probably not going to have a removable battery
- probably won't be cheap
- probably not going to be in my hands any time soon :p

dankir

camineet said:
There goes another graand on portable entertainment. 3DS+NGP"+Games. oh my God.

Seriously huh, I'm hoping the wi fi version is 300 - 400 max. And now they UMDs are done with these cartridges are cheaper.

RpgN

DennisK4 said:
But Nintendo won't sell at a loss like Sony, so that strategy alone prevents them from being as agressive on tech as Sony.

Personally, I am happy that the 3DS and the NGP turned out so different. It would have been very boring otherwise.

It's true that Nintendo won't sell at a loss and that's great for them. But from a consumer's perspective, honestly who cares? I don't want them to sell at a loss but they're sooooo conservative, I felt like there were things they could have definitely added but didn't.

And I'm happy they're different, I didn't mean that Nintendo has to be similar like Sony in creating a graphics beast machine but go out with their own technology. Create a better responding touch screen input and interface, why not make both screens just as big and more sharp? That kind of stuff.

Regarding a new design for both handhelds, both the DSlite and PSP slim already look slick and gorgeous. They don't have to create different looking devices for the sake of it, if they make it look better in all kinds of minor ways but improve the quality, then I'm happy with that.

WillyFive

Maxrunner said:
Snes, N64 and Gamecube proves you're wrong, Sony just likes to throw money away and have their other departments to back it up in case things go too wrong. Nintendo is only Nintendo....Nitnendo DS made the normal jump from the GBA....Sony just went out and jumped to next gen early with the psp.....

Yeah, the progress from Game Boy to GBA to DS to 3DS is very similar to the progress done in consoles from NES to SNES to N64 to Gamecube.

Sony took advantage of this and jumped straight to Gamecube when the DS was still doing N64 (or PS1 if you want to be technical).

And the NGP is just a natural next-gen update to the PSP.

Duane Cunningham said:
It's strange to think that there will be "Playstation cartridges" for the first time ever. Discs are such an iconic part of the Playstation identity, from PS1 CDs to PS2 DVDs, PS3 Blu-Rays and PSP UMDs. Playstation has always equaled "spinning disc".

Interesting point. This is probably the right choice to make in terms of battery life, though.

I'm pretty sure given the power of this thing, the battery life is going to be around an hour and a half.

Battery Technology just can't support a tiny battery, while still offering a huge amount of power, and having a long lifespan.

I fully expect under 3 hours of battery life on the lowest settings. Which means "portable" may be lost and people will just look at it as a "PS3-lite" which is not what Sony will be able to market easily.

Portable devices, especially gaming devices, live and die by their battery life.

Zutroy

Day one. I can see me playing this more than my consoles.

The gyro on the Hot shot demo was particularly impressive to my for some reason!

Duane Cunningham said:

everything is heading towards downloads anyway, something Sony has been doing a lot with also so it just kinda makes sense.

Huggers

I'm a lookin and Ima likin.

This is probably answered somewhere in here but I can't find it. If I was playing say COD, how would it perform online over a stable 3g connection?

Salz01

This just looks disappointing to me. Just talking about a design perspective, it looks uncomfortable. I think some other concept art ive seen looks better. I always hate long term game play on these things because people who have big hands just have an uncomfortable experience. Just looking at the guy playing uncharted with his small hands, he doesnt look comfortable. I think I just hate anyting that uses shoulder buttons on hand helds thats why I avoid them like the plague. If uncharted uses those damn shoulder buttons, (and it looks like it for sniping) than I just might pass.

MightyKAC said:
Relieved that it's:
- PSP backward compatible
- got a dual analog nubs
- won't skimp on the visuals
- has front and rear touch controls

Disappointed that it's:

- not a sliding unit
- probably not going to have a removable battery
- probably won't be cheap
- probably not going to be in my hands any time soon :p

As in, buy those games again via PSN? Afaik there still is no plan for UMD back compatibility.

-Amon-

RpgN said:
It's true that Nintendo won't sell at a loss and that's great for them. But from a consumer's perspective, honestly who cares?

Well, from a consumer's perspective it's always better to buy from the one who sell at a loss than from one who makes a profit i guess.

Vinci

Danish
That's actually a very attractive system. Love the screen. Not sure how well touch works in Uncharted, though; that looked awkward as hell. Otherwise, yeah, I'm interested.

-Amon- said:
Well, from a consumer's perspective it's always better to buy from the one who sell at a loss than from one who makes a profit i guess.

The only way people could suggest something like this is if they have no historical perspective on this industry at all.

Cartman86

Banned
I saw someone this morning (oh god I didn't sleep!) ask if Remote Play was in. Looks like it is.

ScreenShot001.jpg

ScreenShot003.jpg

ScreenShot002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom