• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMPrince said:
5392426980_4b5c62ae70_b.jpg

what is the other slot for? memory expansion?

I guess one is for storage and the other is for games? I was thinking they went in sideways but can't see where.

Niks said:
No word about internal memory? Where to store music, movies, photos etc?
There's multiple SKUs so the amount of internal memory will seemingly be dependant on how much you spend. There appears to be SD support.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
brain_stew said:
There's multiple SKUs so the amount of internal memory will seemingly be dependant on how much you spend. There appears to be SD support.

Probably be Memory Stick, not SD wouldn't it?

Cartman86

Banned
brain_stew said:

Haven't heard anything official about multiple SKU's. Saw some site say specifically that there will be no non-3G model even.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Cromulent_Word said:
so whats going on in this thread guys :)
Now there is some feigned aloofness if ever I saw it.

So how's this thing feel and when can we expect your first game on it?

Zoe

Jaagen said:
No. PS2 emulation requires a shitload of power. Even the PS3 cannot do it, because of the massive bandwidth of the Graphics Synthesizer.

Expect HD ports, though.

But isn't the PS3's problem not that it's underpowered but because it has a bottleneck?

_dementia said:
How big is it? It's not Game Gear size right?
Liking the 5-inch screen but I'm a little concerned about portability.
There are several images in this thread comparing the size. I'm more curious about how thick it is.

Bastion

Has anyone noticed that EA is not on the current list of developers? I need Madden on this device!!

Japan

ACQUIRE Corp.
ALVION Inc.
AQ INTERACTIVE INC.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co.,Ltd.
ARIKA CO.,LTD.
ARTDINK CORPORATION
ASCII MEDIA WORKS Inc.
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
CHUN SOFT CO., Ltd
Codemasters Software Company Limited
Crafts & Meister Co.,Ltd.
CyberConnect2 Co.,Ltd.
D3 PUBLISHER Inc.
Dimps Corporation
Edia Co., Ltd.
ENTERBRAIN, INC.
FromSoftware, Inc
Gameloft K.K.
Genki Co.,Ltd.
Grasshopper Manufacture Inc.
GungHo Online Entertainment,Inc
GUST CO.,LTD.
HAMSTER Corporation
HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD.
IDEA FACTORY CO., LTD.
Index Corporation(Atlus)
IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.
KADOKAWA GAMES,LTD.
Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
LEVEL-5 Inc. Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
media5 Corporation
NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
Nihon Falcom Corporation
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
NOWPRODUCTION, CO.,LTD
Q Entertainment Inc.
SEGA CORPORATION
SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION
Spike Co.,Ltd
SQUARE ENIX Co., Ltd.
SystemSoft Alpha Corp.
TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.
TOMY Company,Ltd.
TOSE CO., LTD.
Ubisoft K.K.
YUKE’S Co., Ltd.

North America

Activision, Inc.
Capybara Games
Demiurge Studios
Epic Games Inc.
Far Sight Studios
Frima
High Voltage Software
Kung Fu Factory
Paramount Digital Entertainment
PopCap Games
Powerhead Games
Trendy Entertainment
Ubisoft®
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
2K Games
2K Sports

Europe / Australia

Avalanche Studios
Climax Studios Ltd
Codemasters Software Company Ltd
Eurocom Developments Ltd
Eutechnyx Ltd
Exient Ltd
Firemint PTY Ltd
Gameloft SA
Gusto Games Ltd
Home Entertainment Suppliers PTY Ltd
Impromptu Software Ltd
Rebellion®
Rockstar Games
Sidhe Interactive
Sumo Digital Ltd
Team 17 Software Ltd
Ubisoft Entertainment SA
Zen Studios Ltd

RPGCrazied said:
I don't like the design to much, it looks just like a PSP. Though it is called PSP2, so whatever. Why can't they ever come up with a clamshell design? They always leave the screen out in the open to get damaged. This is going to cost way more than the 3DS, seems kinda foolish not to have one.

my launch psp 1000 screen is still solid after all this time with only using a thin layer of screen protector. and I'm pretty careless with my psp, put it in my pocket etc

Crisco

Banned
No video out and the one piece design are a bit of a disappointment. With the power this thing has, it could essentially be a mobile AppleTV. Other than that, pretty impressed with the specs and the game lineup looks good.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So thinking about the possible Non-3G and 3G SKU, I figure I'd get the Non-WiFi version and if I ever need a 3G connection get one of those portable 3G hotspots that allows WiFi devices to connect (like the Verizon MiFi).

Mashing

Rez said:
The back touch panel is actually the only thing that triggers that raised-heartbeat "oh fucking wow" reaction from me. Thinking about the sorts of design possibilities that thing could provide is exciting.

Well, the way they demoed it by holding the PSP in one hand and using your other to manipulate the back touch panel looks incredibly uncomfortable. Most people's hand holding the NGP is going to become rather tired after even moderate play. Thankfully, you should be able to hold it like a traditional PSP and still manipulate the back touch panel. It just seems odd they would demonstrate it that way.

evangd007

DennisK4 said:
LOL - it is a monster

Wait for the NGP pocket... although I don't know where they'll cut the real estate. Between the clutter of the controls and the gigantic screen there is not much room for miniaturization unless they reduce the size of the screen, which would probably be a problem since they likely want to use the screen size as a selling point and the touch functionality would be tuned to the larger screen.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
_dementia said:
How big is it? It's not Game Gear size right?
Liking the 5-inch screen but I'm a little concerned about portability.

I wish someone could post an "actual size" picture so we can all get a sense how big this sucker is.

Grecco

Bastion said:
Has anyone noticed that EA is not on the current list of developers? I need Madden on this device!!

Japan

ACQUIRE Corp.
ALVION Inc.
AQ INTERACTIVE INC.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co.,Ltd.
ARIKA CO.,LTD.
ARTDINK CORPORATION
ASCII MEDIA WORKS Inc.
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
CHUN SOFT CO., Ltd
Codemasters Software Company Limited
Crafts & Meister Co.,Ltd.
CyberConnect2 Co.,Ltd.
D3 PUBLISHER Inc.
Dimps Corporation
Edia Co., Ltd.
ENTERBRAIN, INC.
FromSoftware, Inc
Gameloft K.K.
Genki Co.,Ltd.
Grasshopper Manufacture Inc.
GungHo Online Entertainment,Inc
GUST CO.,LTD.
HAMSTER Corporation
HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD.
IDEA FACTORY CO., LTD.
Index Corporation(Atlus)
IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.
KADOKAWA GAMES,LTD.
Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
LEVEL-5 Inc. Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
media5 Corporation
NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
Nihon Falcom Corporation
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
NOWPRODUCTION, CO.,LTD
Q Entertainment Inc.
SEGA CORPORATION
SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION
Spike Co.,Ltd
SQUARE ENIX Co., Ltd.
SystemSoft Alpha Corp.
TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.
TOMY Company,Ltd.
TOSE CO., LTD.
Ubisoft K.K.
YUKE’S Co., Ltd.

North America

Activision, Inc.
Capybara Games
Demiurge Studios
Epic Games Inc.
Far Sight Studios
Frima
High Voltage Software
Kung Fu Factory
Paramount Digital Entertainment
PopCap Games
Powerhead Games
Trendy Entertainment
Ubisoft®
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
2K Games
2K Sports

Europe / Australia

Avalanche Studios
Climax Studios Ltd
Codemasters Software Company Ltd
Eurocom Developments Ltd
Eutechnyx Ltd
Exient Ltd
Firemint PTY Ltd
Gameloft SA
Gusto Games Ltd
Home Entertainment Suppliers PTY Ltd
Impromptu Software Ltd
Rebellion®
Rockstar Games
Sidhe Interactive
Sumo Digital Ltd
Team 17 Software Ltd
Ubisoft Entertainment SA
Zen Studios Ltd

Both EA and THQ are missing from this list. Makes me think both are taking a "Wait and see" approach before jumping in on development. Notice how the bulk of the american developers are cheap downloadable stuff like popcap and not high end expensive caliber retail stuff.

Rez said:
The back touch panel is actually the only thing that triggers that raised-heartbeat "oh fucking wow" reaction from me. Thinking about the sorts of design possibilities that thing could provide is exciting.

Same here. That Little Deviants demo was definitely the most interesting thing. It just looks a little awkward in terms of actual execution by the player, but I think the dude went out of his way to let go of that side of the device when he did it, which I'm not sure is necessary. If you can use it while still holding onto that side of the PSP2 with your fingers then there's no downside I can imagine.

Zoe

Callibretto said:
that's weird, I thought EA and Sony has good relationship.

I went to see an EA exec speak a few years ago, and he handed out free games for all the platforms at the end. When he got to a PSP game, he just threw it away to the back of the stage.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The main criticism for a "PSP 2" before this announcement was that all it'd be is a simple graphics upgrade. Meanwhile I'm way excited to see what 2 multi-touch capacitive surfaces, dual analog sticks, and 3G can do for handheld games. And yeah, there's gonna be a lot of console ports, but that doesn't mean it won't have its own Lumines, Patapon, Half Minute Hero, etc.

But if the console "ports" that are there are as good as stuff like Portable Ops and Chains of Olympus then it's all good.

xtop said:
i'm curious about the speaker placement. won't our fingers be over top of the holes almost all the time? they need to go where they're at in the psp 3k
If you care about the audio and you're not using headphones, you're doing it wrong.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DennisK4 said:
LOL - it is a monster

Made me think of Reflex vs Compact Digital. The former produces unrivaled pictures, but you take it with you for special occasions only.

The screen seems to be bigger than the whole iPhone.

Niks

brain_stew said:

Thanks. I guess we will get details at E3.

RPGCrazied

Callibretto said:
my launch psp 1000 screen is still solid after all this time with only using a thin layer of screen protector. and I'm pretty careless with my psp, put it in my pocket etc

Oh. I've been looking at used PSP's for awhile now, but the screens always look like they've been thrown across the street. ;/

Maybe when this PSP2 comes out, PSP's will be dirt ass cheap.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
WAIT!

Two analog sticks means we finally get a Monster Hunter where we don't have to turn out hand into a claw! A true, proper camera controlled, portable Monster Hunter!

359et0z.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe Square will finally release an FFVII remake.

I think the western software 3rd party support is poor so far.

No THQ, no Take 2, EA? WTF? Didn't Riccietelo (sp?) say they had dev kits awhile ago?

They basically have every major and smaller JP company supporting it though, I can't see one that's not there off the top of my head.

AranhaHunter said:
I think the western software 3rd party support is poor so far.

No THQ, no Take 2, EA? WTF? Didn't Riccietelo (sp?) say they had dev kits awhile ago?

They basically have every major and smaller JP company supporting it though, I can't see one that's not there off the top of my head.

It's stunningly bad. The PSP's software sales in America were horrible, but you'd think that EA would bother porting a Madden game to the NGP at the very least. Terrible support that could undermine the entire strategy of NGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom