• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chao

6WMCB.jpg

I can't be the only one who saw this. Are they trolling us?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
UMD was a huge mistake.

UMD wasn't the mistake. Deciding to market movies for the PSP was the mistake, the mistake that then required a format like UMD.

For what UMD was required to accomplish it is actually pretty good. :)

They've covered every base for what I could have wanted in the next PSP and thrown in a bunch of other things that I'd hate to have to pay for. I don't understand the complaints about looks, it looks like a psp vertically stretched with better analog sticks added in the area added on the side by the vertical stretch.

The larger shape will make it easier to hold, as will the presumably rubbery indents on the back for your fingertips when they're not using the touchpad.

Unfortunately the price is going to be horrible unless they're subsidizing it somehow.

Amir0x

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Am I the only person that's more excited about Uncharted PSP2 than Uncharted 3 due to the possible jungle setting? The video looked AMAZING.

Uncharted 3 has tons of different settings. Almost certainly one will be jungle-like ;)

Only 1/3 takes place in the Arabia setting

It's interesting seeing people say Sony learned nothing from the psp. What were they supposed to learn?

People hated the UMD, so they replaced it with flash carts. People hated the design of the analog nub and the fact that there was only one. So they made two actual analog sticks.

Battery life? That was never going to be like the DS. Just the nature of the tech right now. Not even Nintendo can get DS battery life anymore.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
A non-3g sku?, that is very interesting, could be a good indicator that the 'base' sku well be competitively priced.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Woo-Fu said:
UMD wasn't the mistake. Deciding to market movies for the PSP was the mistake, the mistake that then required a format like UMD.

For what UMD was required to accomplish it is actually pretty good. :)
You mean like playing games with reasonable load times?

ataboada

crazy monkey said:
Why would you need play ps3 user online? It will be very useless functionality if added. there will be very few people using it plus ps4 might be coming out in year and half.

PS4 is definitely not coming within the near future. Not for many years. It has been said plenty of times.

About the actual playing against other PS3 players, it might be a nice idea.

BTW, it might have been mentioned before, but the handheld looks monstrously huge. I think that's why the PSPortable branding has not been tagged to it yet.

Edit: At least I hope they don't market it as really portable. Though with devices such as the iPad being dubbed as such, who knows?

Edit 2: I guess NGPortable corrects my previous comment. I still don't see myself carrying it around the city inside one of my pockets.

This thing's a really bizarre gamble. Love how many input methods there are, though - that matters to me far more than the graphics.

I'm increasingly thinking that I won't pick up either 3DS or NGP at launch, but rather wait until a least a year or more from their launches - but I think that the 3DS/NGP generation will be pretty awesome.

lowrider007 said:
A non-3g sku?, that is very interesting, could be a good indicator that the 'base' sku well be competitively priced.

People are being stupid. If Sony is going to take a loss, of course it will be priced competitively. This isn't a ps3 situation where BD component costs were out of control.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
H_Prestige said:
It's interesting seeing people say Sony learned nothing from the psp. What were they supposed to learn?

People hated the UMD, so they replaced it with flash carts. People hated the design of the analog nub and the fact that there was only one. So they made two actual analog sticks.

Battery life? That was never going to be like the DS. Just the nature of the tech right now. Not even Nintendo can get DS battery life anymore.

Its bigger, faster and more complicated when everyone else is going smaller and less complicated.

I wish Sony luck with this I really do. They have balls. It will be interesting to see if it finds its market in the west. They have a lot of hard work ahead of them.

Jaagen

Zoe said:
Hmmm... so how do the specs hold up to a PS2? Any possibilities of emulation?

No. PS2 emulation requires a shitload of power. Even the PS3 cannot do it, because of the massive bandwidth of the Graphics Synthesizer.

Expect HD ports, though.

2San

Kuran said:
Probably, wasn't KH not released on PSN because of the Disney situation?
Ok, I didn't know the reasoning behind it. Sounds good.
Jea Song said:
LOL, I just had a vision of a " cautiously hyped" JPEG. Too bad i'm no artist.
Everyone is an artist with MS paint.

Router said:
Its bigger, faster and more complicated when everyone else is going smaller and less complicated.

I wish Sony luck with this I really do. They have balls. It will be interesting to see if it finds its market in the west. They have a lot of hard work ahead of them.

Who's going less complicated? Nintendo certainly isn't.

You just want touch control gaming? I thought that was the main reason why smartphone games were limited.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Given the rising popularity of tablet devices, I think this thing's size may actually work out as a point in its favor.

Yoboman

Router said:

It's bigger, but looking at DSXL's reception that's not necessarily a bad thing

More complicated? On the surface it just has one more analog stick, and consumers in general just seem to "get" anything to do with touchscreen and motion controls, so adding those doesn't really complicate matters imo

LCfiner

badcrumble said:
This thing's a really bizarre gamble. Love how many input methods there are, though - that matters to me far more than the graphics.

I'm increasingly thinking that I won't pick up either 3DS or NGP at launch, but rather wait until a least a year or more from their launches - but I think that the 3DS/NGP generation will be pretty awesome.

yup. I'm still not convinced that the back touch pad is gonna take off (though their demo with shifing terrain was cool) but having a capacitive multi touch screen on a gaming focused device to complement full buttons is exciting.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
H_Prestige said:
Who's going less complicated? Nintendo certainly isn't.

You just want touch control gaming? I thought that was the main reason why smartphone games were limited.

iOS devices which is where the growth is.

LCfiner said:
yup. I'm still not convinced that the back touch pad is gonna take off (though their demo with shifing terrain was cool) but having a capacitive multi touch screen on a gaming focused device to complement full buttons is exciting.

There is one problem with back touch pad - you will not be able to game in protective case like you can with PSP. Unless the number of games that use the back will be limited.

Router said:
iOS devices which is where the growth is.

For iOS lovers anything that isn't a phone fails hard (yes, I know you can play them on iPod Touch, but it's music+gaming, PSP is already able to do all that). Unless you mean the form factor.

I don't want to play Gameloft rip-offs all over, I'm happy to buy dedicated gaming system and pay more for games if it means I can have stuff like Uncharted, FF, DJMP, and Demons' Souls.

03sho

Flash media and OLED display to help powerhouse machine perform for longer

Upon seeing both the size and power of Sony's new Next Generation portable, it's inevitable that the first question many people asked was how long the battery would last – but Sony has assured that it will put up a decent display.

"We'll have a good, solid battery life because of two factors," SCEE boss Andrew House told Eurogamer.

"It's influenced our choice of flash media, versus incorporating a disc drive; and number two, the screen is large and gorgeous – it's also OLED, which is fantastically good for low power consumption as well. So there are two, I think strong, features there that bode very well for battery life."

It has also been confirmed that, much like an iPhone but unlike the current PSP, the battery will not be removable. Apparently this is due to the rear touch panel.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42746/NGP...n=Feed:+mcvuk/oXMK+(MCV:+games+industry+news)

xtop

i'm curious about the speaker placement. won't our fingers be over top of the holes almost all the time? they need to go where they're at in the psp 3k

Cartman86

Banned
H_Prestige said:

Don't be silly they want Sony to make a system built for $1 games like the iphone or Android platform. Don't ask me how they expect Sony to compete with a fucking phone that does everything. Honestly would anyone buy a PSP2phone? Of course I would, because I'm insane, but most people wouldn't just switch to a gaming branded device to replace their already invested idevice. I could see some people picking it up if it was an Android, but what would the point be? Make games capable of running on every android smartphone? Well your in luck as they are trying that out. As a hardware and platform launch they could only go up. We are lucky they decided to put so many different control schemes and ideas into what could've just been a prettier device.

LCfiner

Castor Krieg said:
There is one problem with back touch pad - you will not be able to game in protective case like you can with PSP. Unless the number of games that use the back will be limited.

there are multiple problems with a back touch pad but, yes, cases would be one of them :)

Get ready for PSP bumpers, everyone.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yoshichan said:
Some "friend" of mine just said that the PSP2 will fail because "it pretty much is impossible to market it properly because it does so much".

Oh, fanboys in denial.
Yes, because as a marketer, I have extreme issues with having too broad of a base to appeal to and a product with too many selling points. Keep your friend away from sales. For his own good. He'd be homeless in a month.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
LCfiner said:

Its definitely one of the most interesting things about the hardware.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Glad to wake up to it. Beast of a portable, but exactly what I expected; a portable console, through and through.

I worry about the price. I'm more interested in the 3DS and even that is at a price point that concerns me (Australian price). This I expect to be more for sure, and end of the day I dont give a shit about Killzone, Resistance, or Metal Gear. Not enough to buy a platform anyway. Uncharted looks good, but I'm not as big of an Uncharted fanboy as a lot of others here.

I look forward to the big E3 reveal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The back touch panel is actually the only thing that triggers that raised-heartbeat "oh fucking wow" reaction from me. Thinking about the sorts of design possibilities that thing could provide is exciting.

Castor Krieg said:

Nah they have holes for buttons, just need a big hole on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom