• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

biocat

I like the fact that PS has one store as apposed to Nintendo's Wii, DSi, and soon to be 3DS stores.

(edit) and Monster Hunter is going to rock on this. :)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Rez said:
The back touch panel is actually the only thing that triggers that raised-heartbeat "oh fucking wow" reaction from me. Thinking about the sorts of design possibilities that thing could provide is exciting.
My mind was fucked after seeing that.

LCfiner said:
yup. I'm still not convinced that the back touch pad is gonna take off (though their demo with shifing terrain was cool) but having a capacitive multi touch screen on a gaming focused device to complement full buttons is exciting.

Yeah, that little demo was cool. I liked the investigation-like game, too.

It seems like we'll get a lot of iphone/DS like games with the touch screen and all.

I just cannot understand why they were preparing a third-party sizzle reel and didn't show it, or at least release a list of games currently in development. As big a PSP2 skeptic as I've been, it's still a new Sony platform - the third-party support can't possibly be that bad.

Also, is it really true that they eliminated video-out to avoid cannibalizing PS3 sales?

filopilo

Amir0x said:
damn the PSP 2 is big. Sony it's portable gaming christ

bah , everyone started dreaming for a 7'' or 10'' tablet .PSP2 can surf on that wave.

A big screen is important i think.

BtW , this thing looks like a tentative bridge between casual and hardcore.This had to be done , sooner or later.

Cartman86 said:
but most people wouldn't just switch to a gaming branded device to replace their already invested idevice.

In that case I would expect lots of tools saying "OMG! But I have over $500 in Apps!". Way to go, Apple.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
WanderingWind said:
Yes, because as a marketer, I have extreme issues with having too broad of a base to appeal to and a product with too many selling points. Keep your friend away from sales. For his own good. He'd be homeless in a month.
As a marketer I'd assume you should be more worried about pricing yourself into smartphone territory and not being sexy or feature-pacted enough to stand next to the bigboys and not cheap enough to justify next to an iPod touch and a PS3 for ten-year-old boys and not general enough to appeal to ten-year-old girls, but that's just me.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'll say one thing about it; at least it looks friendly to lefthanded gamers *cough*

I don't get the hate on the design of it. I like the original PSP's design and I like this. I carry all my handhelds in my bag so the size isn't a problem either. Only thing that worries me is the size of the buttons. Oh and price.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
"It has also been confirmed that, much like an iPhone but unlike the current PSP, the battery will not be removable. Apparently this is due to the rear touch panel."

vader_NOOOO.jpg

1-D_FTW

Omiee said:
man this sounds amazing, think of all the posibilities. everybody should read kotaku's hands on its pretty good.

Better yet, there are videos. Little Deviants looks absolutely brilliant with the way the mechanic works. Vastly superior to touch screen controls for that game.

anddo0

Amir0x said:
damn the PSP 2 is big. Sony it's portable gaming christ

Yeah, it's pretty big.. Not very portable compared to the GO.

I wonder how long it will take them to get it down to PSPGO size.

Castor Krieg said:
I think having PSP titles is a great idea. Many, many titles will get really cheap till the end of the year. Just now I'm looking forward to play P3P, DJMP3, and Type-0 on NGP. Should go nicely with post-launch lack of releases.
The 'Essentials' line has more than 60 titles in the UK now, all either £7/£8 and there's some fantastic stuff included as well.

Grecco

Father_Brain said:
I just cannot understand why they were preparing a third-party sizzle reel and didn't show it, or at least release a list of games currently in development. As big a PSP2 skeptic as I've been, it's still a new Sony platform - the third-party support can't possibly be that bad.

Also, is it really true that they eliminated video-out to avoid cannibalizing PS3 sales?

They released the list of third party developers. EA isnt one of them.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
anddo0 said:
Yeah, it's pretty big.. Not very portable compared to the GO.

I wonder how long it will take them to get it down to PSPGO size.

The development prototype was a slider but it changed to the brick style due to heat issues. Expect a NGP Slim probably a year after release of the NGP.

Hausmeister

Neo Member
H_Prestige said:
So it's confirmed to have PSP compatibility?

Yeah. Sony stated that you can play all your PSP Games (+ minis + PS one classics) you bought on the PS Store! UMD based games obviously won't work...

yankee666

Im really excited about this. One of the few aspect that we didnt know till today is that the Flash based games will support save data plus dlc on the same flash cart.
The specs are truly amazing, plus the ability of PSP bc games is a plus!!!
Any info of the type of storage media that it will use (SD, MS... ect)?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Rez said:
As a marketer I'd assume you should be more worried about pricing yourself into smartphone territory and not being sexy or feature-pacted enough to stand next to the bigboys and not cheap enough to justify next to an iPod touch and a PS3 for ten-year-old boys and not general enough to appeal to ten-year-old girls, but that's just me.

Well, guess we'll see, huh? I think it has plenty to offer, and a final price point hasn't even been announced. In any case, a device that has too many features is not "impossible to market" which was the only thing I was laughing about. Not any of what you said, which is both too early to call (no price) and highly subjective (not feature packed enough).

Don

After watching some of the videos, I kind of like the home screen a bit better seeing how all of the icon bubbles animate slightly. Doesn't look just as messy as the images make it out out to be. Would still be nice if there was some way to customise it slightly as it looks like it is more suited to the touch screen controls than button navigation.

I also really like how each game seems to have its own space before starting up where you can access the PS Store content for that game and other stuff.

Corto

Callibretto said:
that's weird, I thought EA and Sony has good relationship.

Exactly! This is strange, after Medal of Honour, Dead Space 2 exclusive deals on PS3 it would be expected a good relationship in this new device. FIFA on the NPG with two analogues and the rear pad would be great.

Tucah

you speak so well
Thing is a beast, so I want to wait for the eventual revision...but then again, I'm there whenever Uncharted is.

RPGCrazied

I don't like the design to much, it looks just like a PSP. Though it is called PSP2, so whatever. Why can't they ever come up with a clamshell design? They always leave the screen out in the open to get damaged. This is going to cost way more than the 3DS, seems kinda foolish not to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom