• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

BeeDog

Finally found all 150 cards; some were a pain in the ass to find and collect thanks to the suicidal, frustrating AI (especially in the tier 3 stages). I only have to gold one more stage for a full completion, but I can't for the life of me get in first place on the Boardwalk level with Big Dog (with the motorcycle). :mad:

BeeDog said:
Finally found all 150 cards; some were a pain in the ass to find and collect thanks to the suicidal, frustrating AI (especially in the tier 3 stages). I only have to gold one more stage for a full completion, but I can't for the life of me get in first place on the Boardwalk level with Big Dog (with the motorcycle). :mad:

Do you unlock anything for finding all cards? (apart from trophies and the info on the cards)

It's quite frustrating imo that you have to unlock anything online and that it's basically grinding all day long (x actions/usage of vehicle y, and of course by rank). On top of that, as far as I can tell there aren't any really "crazy" vehicles this time like the dino monster truck or the school bus.

Trophies are the opposite. I finished the story mode w/o playing anything else and already have over 50% of the Trophies.
Even the last races in the story mode were easy, though I haven't finished them all as first place yet (didn't bother to re-race). I also didn't do it in PR, but in MS:A it doesn't affect your progress at all.
I guess my more casual approach explains why I had no problems AT ALL with the aggressive AI and rubber banding. On the contrary, this made the races really fun. Actually, I was probably the biggest asshole on the track, trying to crash others whenever there was a good opportunity (I also do this online btw as I don't really care about finishing first :p )

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed about the level of destruction. Only in a few shit REALLY goes down, I just wish this was the case on all tracks (and you just toggle it on/off for more quite/standard races). I also want to be able to set rain+all daytimes on all track variations.
Oh and I would like to play those point-to-point races of the campaign in the other modes...

I don't like motion comics for story presentation in general, but at least some of them made me chuckle. I can understand that they wanted to show more about the off-race life of the MotorStorm lunatics, the festival videos e.g. in the original MS made a better job imo though and they actually put you into the right mood.
Also, I don't understand why the game has to load the videos after a race as you can play them instantly after unlocking them.
Most annoyingly, they completely missed the opportunity to mask the loading times of the races with the cutscenes. Not to mention that the game would probably benefit from an (optional) installation on the HDD.

Tried one of the Hardcore races and I think they are hard and also shit.
Having a Target time AND enemies just doesn't work in MotorStorm. The target times are already pretty tough if it was just time trial, but with the random factor due to the other 15 vehicles it's just annoying and not fun IMO.
If anything, the unlocked races should have a harder AI and you would need to finish first place. IMO even better though would have been the the Speed mode from PR.

Sound-wise there were a few problems for me in some races/vehicles (missing engine sound). I didn't care for the OST this time, while it's some nice stuff and I like listening to it in the menus, it's not that suited during the races (for my taste at least) and also way to quiet (while XMB custum music is a bit too loud on the lowest setting btw...).

Anyway, I put some work (not kidding :lol ) into the vehicle customization before presenting myself online (even though most of the stuff&vehicles aren't unlocked yet...). But uploading them here is no work, so the rest of my post shall spam this thread with screenshots:

Dirt Bike (Wasabi Wildcar MX):

ATV (Wasabi Phoenix):

Buggy (Wombat Typhoon):

Rally Car (Wulff Bolter):

Racing Truck (Patriot Wildtrek-X):

Mudplugger (Mojave Berdino):

Big Rig (Atlas Bobtail):

Monster Truck (Voodoo Mastodon):

Superbike (Wulff DSGR-1)

Chopper (Mohawk Freerider):

Supermini (Mirage 101):

Super Car (Patriot P10-XR):

Muscle Car (Voodoo Orbiter):

The nice thing is that you can save all these settings and just put them on any other vehicle (minus the individual vehicle parts obviously).

and as a bonus, the Mirage 401 Carbon Edition from the Rally Car preorder pack :

(not customizable apart from the race number/scratches etc.)

BeeDog

SolidusDave said:
Do you unlock anything for finding all cards? (apart from trophies and the info on the cards)

It's quite frustrating imo that you have to unlock anything online and that it's basically grinding all day long (x actions/usage of vehicle y, and of course by rank). On top of that, as far as I can tell there aren't any really "crazy" vehicles this time like the dino monster truck or the school bus.

Trophies are the opposite. I finished the story mode w/o playing anything else and already have over 50% of the Trophies.
Even the last races in the story mode were easy, though I haven't finished them all as first place yet (didn't bother to re-race). I also didn't do it in PR, but in MS:A it doesn't affect your progress at all.
I guess my more casual approach explains why I had no problems AT ALL with the aggressive AI and rubber banding. On the contrary, this made the races really fun. Actually, I was probably the biggest asshole on the track, trying to crash others whenever there was a good opportunity (I also do this online btw as I don't really care about finishing first :p )

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed about the level of destruction. Only in a few shit REALLY goes down, I just wish this was the case on all tracks (and you just toggle it on/off for more quite/standard races). I also want to be able to set rain+all daytimes on all track variations.
Oh and I would like to play those point-to-point races of the campaign in the other modes...

I don't like motion comics for story presentation in general, but at least some of them made me chuckle. I can understand that they wanted to show more about the off-race life of the MotorStorm lunatics, the festival videos e.g. in the original MS made a better job imo though and they actually put you into the right mood.
Also, I don't understand why the game has to load the videos after a race as you can play them instantly after unlocking them.
Most annoyingly, they completely missed the opportunity to mask the loading times of the races with the cutscenes. Not to mention that the game would probably benefit from an (optional) installation on the HDD.

Tried one of the Hardcore races and I think they are hard and also shit.
Having a Target time AND enemies just doesn't work in MotorStorm. The target times are already pretty tough if it was just time trial, but with the random factor due to the other 15 vehicles it's just annoying and not fun IMO.
If anything, the unlocked races should have a harder AI and you would need to finish first place. IMO even better though would have been the the Speed mode from PR.

Sound-wise there were a few problems for me in some races/vehicles (missing engine sound). I didn't care for the OST this time, while it's some nice stuff and I like listening to it in the menus, it's not that suited during the races (for my taste at least) and also way to quiet (while XMB custum music is a bit too loud on the lowest setting btw...).

Unfortunately, you don't unlock shit from finishing up single-player stuff, which is a very big miss. Still, the inherent fun in collecting them and finishing up all challenges left me adequately satisfied, but yes, some additional unlocks would've helped.

I also agree that unlocking parts/new vehicles is too much of a hassle, but currently it's not a big problem for me since I find the multiplayer extremely fun. But unlocking everything will be nigh impossible unless you reeeeaaaaally put in tons of hours into the multiplayer mode, which is also unfortunate. If anything, maybe they can add some point system to the single-player side and let us unlock things that way too (or simply connect the progress meters for the vehicles to single-player Races as well).

I can't say I agree with you about the level of destruction though. I find the current level great, and the environmental events are enough; there's enough regular destruction on the stages as is. :p

I also truly hope the DLC mentioned in the link on the previous page actually pans out, especially the new track!

Rhoxin

Banned
I got 100% unlock on all 3 monster trucks, what did i get for that? jack shit.
I am so very happy i got a trophy for finishing rookie mode though, it was such an accomplishment! ......

Multiplayer works fine now, i got connection errors and it has nothing to do with my console, it was server issues.

Thrakier

Wow, DLC stuff sounds AWESOME!

Played online in SS with a friend. It's quite good, although you really notice that the framerate is quite a bit lower.

test_account

XP-39C²
SolidusDave said:
It's quite frustrating imo that you have to unlock anything online and that it's basically grinding all day long (x actions/usage of vehicle y, and of course by rank).
Out of curiousity, how else would unlocks work? Or do you say "grinding all day long" because you dont find the multiplayer fun?

Rhoxin said:
I got 100% unlock on all 3 monster trucks, what did i get for that? jack shit.
You got new parts though ;)

test_account said:
Out of curiousity, how else would unlocks work? Or do you say "grinding all day long" because you dont find the multiplayer fun?

In Pacific Rift you unlocked most of the vehicles, drivers etc. by playing through the sp campaign. For me, that's not grinding. In MS:A you have to use the same vehicle in online multiplayer until you did certain actions enough times.

A little mix would have been nice. Or just make the vehicle stats global, so that I can gain them even while playing offline/singleplayer.

test_account

XP-39C²
SolidusDave said:
In Pacific Rift you unlocked most of the vehicles, drivers etc. by playing through the sp campaign. For me, that's not grinding. In MS:A you have to use the same vehicle in online multiplayer until you did certain actions enough times.

A little mix would have been nice. Or just make the vehicle stats global, so that I can gain them even while playing offline/singleplayer.
Oh ok, i see. It's been quite a while since i played Pacific Rift, so i forgot how unlocking worked in that game :)

But in MS:A online multiplayer at least you do get access to every vehicle class from the begining though. And the vehicles that you unlock are only different models in appearance, they dont handle any differently or drive any faster etc. as far as i know.

It is also quite easy to unlock them, since all you have to do is to beat opponents, get airtime and drift. There is also a more difficult challenge (to destroy other drivers), but you dont have to complete this to be able to unlock the vehicles. How long it takes to do these challenges can variate though, it depends on how easy it is to drift (some vehicles drift easier than other), how many jumps there are on the levels and on how many oponents you can beat in each race.

Personally i have played about 190 races online and i'm still not tired of it, so for me the unlock parts doesnt feel too much like grinding. But i pretty much only use the Chopper bikes since that is the class that i feel i master the best, i havnt really tried to unlock many vehicles in the other classes.

But yes, pretty much all of the unlock stuff is based on the online multiplayer part, that is true.

BeeDog

Alright, I grabbed the Supercar Elite DLC since I love this game, despite it being insanely overpriced. :p On the plus side, the car looks great in-game, very detailed and it has cool braking lights on its back. I snagged some poor screenshots of it:

aBEN8.jpg

dP0OV.jpg

FaRLu.jpg

VddPE.jpg

The car allows some very minor modifications, which can be seen in my first pic (I removed the roof and side windows and changed the back).

emalord

Hi guys, since I did not find any official thread devoted only to photo-mode I think this is the right place for my contribution to the MotorStorm: Apocalypse cause.
Here some pics from my blog (where they are posted at 1080p)
I removed/softened the watermarks, because the simply ruin all the game's beauty and art deisgn (IMHO)
More pics are coming in the near future. This game can look awesome!!

Perfect Day

5616206731_b5b85b9b2e_b.jpg

"Got a light?"

5610328457_a4e3173243_b.jpg

Wheel in the Sky (keeps on turnin')

5610690082_2fcb1c8027_b.jpg

(coming soon)

5616790646_c6fc30349d_b.jpg

Dibbz

Just a quick question. Did they up the audio for this game? I played the demo and loved it but the audio was way to low. Was this sorted out?

Dibbz said:
Just a quick question. Did they up the audio for this game? I played the demo and loved it but the audio was way to low. Was this sorted out?
I've not had a problem with either the demo nor the game's audio.

I've got a question, I think I know the answer though: can you choose AI opponents? I didn't see any option but I don't know why the feature would be removed.

BeeDog

Mechanical Snowman said:
I've not had a problem with either the demo nor the game's audio.

I've got a question, I think I know the answer though: can you choose AI opponents? I didn't see any option but I don't know why the feature would be removed.

Unfortunately you can't, and it's a stupid omission really. I just asked the community manager on Twitter, but I doubt I'll get a response.

BeeDog said:
Unfortunately you can't, and it's a stupid omission really. I just asked the community manager on Twitter, but I doubt I'll get a response.
I'm not going to post the huge rant that I intended, but that really fucking sucks. It was the best feature of MS and MS:pR's arcade mode.

Is it unlikely that they'll add it in a patch or DLC?

BeeDog

Mechanical Snowman said:
I'm not going to post the huge rant that I intended, but that really fucking sucks. It was the best feature of MS and MS:pR's arcade mode.

Is it unlikely that they'll add it in a patch or DLC?

They seem to want to support the game, so who knows. The question I directed at them on Twitter is pretty much that:

@PhenomEvolution Do you plan on re-introducing the option to choose vehicle types for AI enemies in Wreckreation? Sad to see it missing. :(

BeeDog said:
They seem to want to support the game, so who knows. The question I directed at them on Twitter is pretty much that:
Okay, I tweeted too for what it's worth. It's weird that they even had a lot of single vehicle class races in the Festival races, the all rally-car elimination was brilliant.

Just bought the Elite DLC too, since I always seem to have a fiver or tenner sitting in my PSN wallet gathering dust. Can't wait to take it online. :D

BPK

Still finding the handling of the supercar in the demo far too forgiving, but I'm really starting to look forward to this.

I need a US date ASAP!

BPK said:
Still finding the handling of the supercar in the demo far too forgiving, but I'm really starting to look forward to this.

I need a US date ASAP!
Wait til you drive a Super Mini, its cornering speed makes it look like you're watching a racing video a 2x the speed :p still fun though.

I've got to say, I only bought the game because I was already in HMV buying Easy-A on blu-ray. Didn't have high hopes with the direction they've taken it. After the Pro festival though, it's really grown on me and definitely starts to feel a lot more 'MotorStorm' mid-way through Tyler's races.

Though the comic style / storyline has got to be one of the worst things I've ever seen in a game ever. They should have spent the money they used on illustrators and voice actors and used it to implement more features in wreckreation mode.

glaurung

KingK said:
Further explanation please? I was just about to come in here and ask the same thing. I've been really wanting to play this :(
the Tohoku quake was the reason for the global delay. Bigwigs decided the game was too similar to real events, people running amidst earthquake and disaster condition cities etc.

Some countries in the EU still sold the game at the originally promised release window. Like mine.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
By the time this game comes out in America, I probably won't even care about it anymore :/ Was looking forward to playing this too.

ecierif

Hey guys. I noticed that Gamefly sometimes updates its release dates before most retailers. Well, I just noticed that their date for Motorstorm just changed from "TBD" to May 3. So...maybe an announcement is coming?

See for yourself:

http://www.gamefly.com/game/ps3/MotorStorm-Apocalypse/146125/

(Also, if anyone is interested in Shadows of the Damned, I noticed that they changed their date from the official June 7 date to June 21, so that might be slightly delayed.)

KingK

glaurung said:
the Tohoku quake was the reason for the global delay. Bigwigs decided the game was too similar to real events, people running amidst earthquake and disaster condition cities etc.

Some countries in the EU still sold the game at the originally promised release window. Like mine.

Ah, I see.

Ranger X

On Gamestop.ca I got June 6...

On Futurshop I got december...

I mean, delay all you want in Japan but I wonder why it affects us so much?? The fuck how Europe is supposed to be "less affected than us" therefore having the game?

Anyhow, this is getting ridiculous.

daffy

Banned
ecierif said:
Hey guys. I noticed that Gamefly sometimes updates its release dates before most retailers. Well, I just noticed that their date for Motorstorm just changed from "TBD" to May 3. So...maybe an announcement is coming?
Yep, they'll be announcing that date soon.

BeeDog said:
Not sure what to make of this, but it's better than nothing:

PhenomEvolution said:
Phenom_Evolution
@MechSnowman @RandomBastard While it's something we'd like to do we're focusing on the online aspects of Wreckreation right now.
"While it's something we'd like to do" sounds promising, but we'll see.

Rhoxin

Banned
BeeDog said:
Then don't buy it and wait for the upcoming free track and the Mode Editor.

You bet i won't buy it.
the problem is people who do buy it and promote this fucking nonsense.

BeeDog

Rhoxin said:
You bet i won't buy it.

I understand what you're saying, but for one, this one's just a limited bonus DLC for fans and just provides a cosmetical benefit. By not buying it, you don't really miss anything and this is the main reason I'm not bothered by its release (and since I'm a fan of the game, I bought it :p). The DLC that actually matters, that is, the new track and the Mode Editor, will be free so that's good, no?

Interstellar, here's the patch log:

A new update patch for Motorstorm Apocalypse is now available that should fix the issues you are experiencing when playing online.

An update to the game is due to be released today (April 15th) to change the Game Save Data process, separating your Game Save and Time Attack ghost data.
When you successfully download the Game Update, your game will take a short while to convert your Game Save accordingly.

Also included in this update are further improvements to online play stability, specifically addressing issues causing "dead games" and errors when joining games.

Finally, for this update, Festival Eliminator event records will no longer filter through into Hardcore Festival leaderboards. Any remaining erroneous leaderboard records will be investigated and removed in due course.

Thank you for all of the feedback you've shared with us to date. Please continue to share and discuss any issues you're facing and also tell us what you would like to see in a future update.

glaurung

Rhoxin said:
You bet i won't buy it.
After reading this I kind of want to go and buy horse armor.

I already bought the elite supercar lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is the "Swift Return" (which reduce the time to get back to the track after you crash) perk overpowered? I was doing an online race now and i was perhaps 5-10 meters behind a guy. He crashed 2 times, but still he was ahead of me. And i saw the crash, it took like 0.2 seconds before he was back on track. Maybe it is also part of lag, but still, 2 crashes and he was still infront of me.

BeeDog

test_account said:
Is the "Swift Return" (which reduce the time to get back to the track after you crash) perk overpowered? I was doing an online race now and i was perhaps 5-10 meters behind a guy. He crashed 2 times, but still he was ahead of me. And i saw the crash, it took like 0.2 seconds before he was back on track. Maybe it is also part of lag, but still, 2 crashes and he was still infront of me.

Yeah, seems a bit overpowered, so for now, you'd be stupid not to use it.

jax (old)

Banned
Rhoxin said:
You bet i won't buy it.

It's like that with a lot of dlc... People must buy them because the stores are littered with cash in crap. But yeah, don't support this shit.

My cioy if msa should be here in a week... :)

test_account

XP-39C²
BeeDog said:
Yeah, seems a bit overpowered, so for now, you'd be stupid not to use it.
I used to use that perk, but now i'm getting quite familiar with the tracks, so i crash much less (although knowing the tracks doesnt help much if someone rams me hehe). I switched to the Aerodynamic (faster top speed) perk instead.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Ah cool, thanks for the patch log. Still looking forward to the new track and mode editor, hope it releases soon.

I've switched from using swift return to the acceleration perk mostly. Helps to get a quick boost off the starting line and I'm starting to learn the tracks so swift return isn't needed (if you don't crash!). Haven't unlocked the faster top speed perk yet!

test_account said:
I used to use that perk, but now i'm getting quite familiar with the tracks, so i crash much less (although knowing the tracks doesnt help much if someone rams me hehe). I switched to the Aerodynamic (faster top speed) perk instead.
I'm waiting on that unlock. I've only just unlocked the faster acceleration perk, and I'm liking the fact that you're not immediately stuck in a motor storm of bigger vehicles as soon as the race starts. On that note, Monsters and Big Rigs should always start ahead of the pack; the number of times I've been destroyed within the first 5 seconds, lol.

And why are the muting options only available during the intermission? There's a 10 second window to mute everyone, even though people can join any time while in the lobby. A 'mute all' button that works in-game should be mandatory for online games.

Top Bottom