• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

heringer

Amir0x said:
no i'm not modding my console. I refuse to do it. I don't risk any shit that can brick my things. I did it for PSP and it got bricked once and never will risk it again

i don't care how easy it purportedly is :p
Sucks to be you then. :p

Amir0x said:
no i'm not modding my console. I refuse to do it. I don't risk any shit that can brick my things. I did it for PSP and it got bricked once and never will risk it again

i don't care how easy it purportedly is :p
Should've did it a few years ago like I did. Fatal Frame, Disaster, Another Code, captain Rainbow were fun.

duckroll

It took all of 10 minutes (and I was doing it slowly) to softmod my Wii. I can understand why some people are hesitant to do it though, and it's the same reason why I have never installed CFW on my PSP. But with the Wii I really don't give a crap. It's not there are games coming out every month or two which I feel I must play day 1, unlike the PSP. As long as I get to play Xenoblade, Last Story, and Zelda SS, I'm more than happy.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
This was the line I drew between the convenience of CFW on Wii and PSP. Nintendo don't hassle you with any mandatory firmware updates, so it's much easier to maintain.

I soft-modded my Wii because, being from the UK, I knew that on average I'd get to play games earlier by importing. Even if I had to wait a few days for the release of some kind of compatibility patch (which is rarely necessary thesedays), I'd still get it sooner than if I'd held out 3+ months for the European launch.

It's funny seeing it work the other way around this time though. The only two Monolith Soft games ever released in Europe up until this point were Xenosaga II and the original Baten Kaitos.

dani_dc

Cataferal said:
It's funny seeing it work the other way around this time though. The only two Monolith Soft games ever released in Europe up until this point were Xenosaga II and the original Baten Kaitos.
You're forgetting Disaster.
Funny enough only Europe has gotten a localized Monolith Soft game after they were adquired by Nintendo.

B.K.

dani_dc said:
Funny enough only Europe has gotten a localized Monolith Soft game after they were adquired by Nintendo.

Atlus released Super Robot Tiasen: Original Generation Saga - Endless Frontier in America and Bandai Namco released that Dragonball game they made in America.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
dani_dc said:
You're forgetting Disaster.
Ah yes. I forgot about Disaster. Between those three, it strikes me that they've only released their weaker titles in Europe so far.

Maybe Xenoblade is being released here to fill a specific gap in Nintendo's European Wii release schedule that was already accounted for in the US.

It's a mute point really, because both markets have huge, vacuous, tumble-weed-attracting moon-craters for their 2011 schedules. We all know the reasons why, but even the Gamecube had more going for it in its twilight years. Still, I'll relish this one. It's precisely the kind of first-part funded RPG experience I've been waiting for on the console; we haven't seen much like it from Nintendo since the SNES days.

apana

So Xenoblade and Zelda right next to each other? Xenoblade is gonna have a quick death, hope the USA gets it as well.

madara

The voice talent for Longest Journey series and DQ8 are top notch so I see this as plus. Dont quite follow how it confirms no US release though.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
apana said:
So Xenoblade and Zelda right next to each other? Xenoblade is gonna have a quick death, hope the USA gets it as well.
That was my concern, too.
Surely it would make more sense for Nintendo to stagger their releases more in such a software drought.

Maybe Zelda isn't really coming in September?

Krev said:
Surely it would make more sense for Nintendo to stagger their releases more in such a software drought.

Yeah, Zelda's obviously getting pushed to be the big November release. Guess that means The Last Story is 2012, if at all.

Wonder if we'll have any surprise releases for the summer, or if Wii Play Motion is it? Maybe Rhythm Heaven or Kirby? Pokemon BR2?

apana

Krev said:

I'll really hate Nintendo if they delay Zelda another year for Wii 2. God, I can see this happening.

apana said:
I'll really hate Nintendo if they delay Zelda another year for Wii 2. God, I can see this happening.

That would require reworking the entire game to run in HD. That would likely take more than a year, and I just don't see it happening.
They didn't delay Pokemon for the 3DS.
TP was simple. They just flipped the world and it was fine.

Shaping up to be a pretty good voice cast...
But the all British voices is making me uneasy about a NA release...

duckroll said:
Are any of these voice actors well known? Which studio is doing the recording? Do we know the voice director?

Adam has done a lot of voices in games like Fable and Dragon Age.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Are any of these voice actors well known? Which studio is doing the recording? Do we know the voice director?
I really didn't know about either, but Peter Dickson seems to be pretty popular as an announcer and channel voice over man and Adam Howden played Anders in Dragon Age 2. We only know about their roles on Xenoblade due to them posting on twitter so we don't know about the studio, or voice director, or even what these two sound like in Xenoblade yet.

ivysaur12

Banned
AceBandage said:
Shaping up to be a pretty good voice cast...
But the all British voices is making me uneasy about a NA release...

Adam has done a lot of voices in games like Fable and Dragon Age.

Same :-\

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Xenoblade was pretty much the best 105 hours I ever dedicated to an RPG. Anyone picking up the localized version is going to LOVE it.

It's truly one of the best JRPGs I've EVER played.

M74

Do they really think this game will sell in the EU but not in NA? Ugh. It's Disaster all over again. And the British actors are not helping matters.

Please prove me wrong with a surprise at E3, NoA.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
I really didn't know about either, but Peter Dickson seems to be pretty popular as an announcer and channel voice over man and Adam Howden played Anders in Dragon Age 2. We only know about their roles on Xenoblade due to them posting on twitter so we don't know about the studio, or voice director, or even what these two sound like in Xenoblade yet.

Oh, okay. I hope Nintendo didn't get some third rate studio, since voice direction is the most important part of dubbing.

Has there ever been a fully voiced RPG localization that was only released in Europe? Leave it to NOA to set new records for sheer awfulness.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Father_Brain said:
Has there ever been a fully voiced RPG localization that was only released in Europe? Leave it to NOA to set new records for sheer awfulness.
Nope. In terms of JRPG localization, it's completely unprecedented.

Anyway, I don't think the British-centric casting would affect Xenoblade's prospects for a US release.

FFXII and Dragon Quest VIII's sales weren't affected by their decisions to go with purple-prose translations and complete British voice-casting. It benefited the product as a whole, if anything.

Thaedolus

How is this game running on Dolphin? I have a Wii that would play the import, but by the time the English version comes out I'll have a beefy computer that could probably run it in 1080p.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thaedolus said:
How is this game running on Dolphin? I have a Wii that would play the import, but by the time the English version comes out I'll have a beefy computer that could probably run it in 1080p.
Fine. The flaws (super low res textures and low poly character models) are more evident than they are in blurry SD vision running on a TV across the room, but of course the image is crystal clear with no jaggies. At least going by experience in other games and the HD screenshots posted in the Japanese release thread.

Thaedolus

Alextended said:
Fine. The flaws (super low res textures and low poly character models) are more evident than they are in blurry SD vision running on a TV across the room, but of course the image is crystal clear with no jaggies. At least going by the HD screenshots posted in the Japanese release thread.

Nice. Right now I have an old budget 32" LCD with a poor upscaler, so Wii games generally look like a blurry jagged mess (even with component @ 480p). I'm hoping that getting Dolphin running well on a new PC and a new 50" plasma will be a big upgrade, but we'll see...gotta get some money together first

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Although not fully-voiced, Terranigma was localized for PAL regions by NoE in 1996, while NoA had their heads in the clouds.

Nintendo have let it happen before.

desu

Played the jp version on dolphin and it looks far better, one of the best rpgs this gen will look even better than it already does!

Seda

Importing this for sure.

I have no idea how to unlock my Wii, but my little brother has brawl + and - and melee-brawl something or other and GeckoOS and some other OS on there so hopefully he knows what to do.

Kaizer

Banned
Anyone know any good sites where you can import EU games from? I only ever see sites like Play-Asia, but nothing for Europe.

Kaizer said:
Anyone know any good sites where you can import EU games from? I only ever see sites like Play-Asia, but nothing for Europe.
I'm fairly sure Amazon.co.uk ship to North America, but I'm sure there is probably someplace cheaper out there.

Top Bottom