• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition announced for Switch

Tried to play the original on the Wii a few years ago, but it just looked so horrible.
The world felt quite rich though.

Would love to play this new version.

Is xenoblade 2 that bad? Plan to buy it soon.
It's a very good game that could've used another 6 months of polish.

Like others have said, the way you acquire new blades (a major major component of the game) is essentially RNG bullshit.

I feel like the story didn't quite stick the landing, but was enjoyable overall.

The battle system is great, but not that well explained. I didn't really get it until I was about 20-30 hours in, but after that it was great.

The game is a blurry mess in handheld, but still looks good. Play docked when you can, it looks pretty damn good.

Soundtrack is amazing.

Xenoblade is really not a series for me. I tried the first game but it had so many things I hate in games (like for example hundreds of pointless generic sidequests, town building, ingame time of day mechanic, overly complex mechanics, massive amounts of dialogues to read in towns), that I eventually just quit it because the only think I enjoyed about it was the exploration and it felt that was only like 10% of the playtime.

Had to skip on Xenoblade X due to not owning a Wii U, but I ended up falling in love with the OST. Black Tar is one of my favorite songs of all time.

When I read about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, its feature list was so similar to my "feature I hate" list that it's funny. So I decided to give it a pass completely.

If FFXIII is the game they developed for me to love, XC2 must be the game they developed for me to hate.

I still get why other people love the series, though.

CrisPy2019

Amazing announcement.

Now we just need XCX and I'll be set.

Please with the option to turn of that disgusting rap/hip-hop shit.

I don't mind the music but the lyrics fuxked up the whole game for me. Especially "huh huh huh yeah yeah yeah". Sorry we play in a period of spaceahips and Mecha why is there caveman music? Because it's starting over civilization on a new planet? No thanks. I loved XCs OST. Sawano made me look forward to the soundtrack as well but he delivered this shit... Asshole. (But I guess assholes deliver shit so ...)

Hulk_Smash

Banned

I don't mind the music but the lyrics fuxked up the whole game for me. Especially "huh huh huh yeah yeah yeah". Sorry we play in a period of spaceahips and Mecha why is there caveman music? Because it's starting over civilization on a new planet? No thanks. I loved XCs OST. Sawano made me look forward to the soundtrack as well but he delivered this shit... Asshole. (But I guess assholes deliver shit so ...)

The audio mixing was terrible as well. “Here’s a good idea: Let’s play the music at full volume even during cut scenes when people are talking. Yeah, they’ll love that!”

SantaC

It's a very good game that could've used another 6 months of polish.

Like others have said, the way you acquire new blades (a major major component of the game) is essentially RNG bullshit.

I feel like the story didn't quite stick the landing, but was enjoyable overall.

The battle system is great, but not that well explained. I didn't really get it until I was about 20-30 hours in, but after that it was great.

The game is a blurry mess in handheld, but still looks good. Play docked when you can, it looks pretty damn good.

Soundtrack is amazing.
Uh oh i preordered a switch lite.

Paltheos

I want y'all to know that xbc1 is the greatest jrpg of the ps3/bxox360/wii era (fight me ni no kuni stans) and one of the greatest jrpgs of all time, I will be there day 1 whenever it launches.

I'm definitely seeing this opinion allot. I haven't.. played Ni No Kuni at all, but off the top of my head, I like Trails of Cold Steel, Resonance of Fate, and Tales of Vesperia and Graces more than Xenoblade.

I've been vocal in the past that I think Xenoblade is a worse Final Fantasy XII. I think there's some appeal to the game but after playing FFXII I can't go back to something so limiting like Xenoblade.

alf717

Man I am glad this is coming to Switch. I was put off by how the US Wii release was handled and then when the 3DS version came out it just slipped of my radar. I was hoping for this to happen when I was playing The Golden Country and through the DLC of Xenoblade 2. Gotta get this day one just waiting on Amazon pre-ordered to go up.

ookami

That's nice, but what about X?
US Gamer had an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi and this subject was raised back in October 2018.
"Personally speaking, I'd love to play the game on the Switch, but it would be really difficult to make it."
When it comes to roadblocks that stand in the way of Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch, Takahashi's answer is simple.
"Money," he laughs. "It's a massive game. Re-creating it would be really difficult."
- [Source]

But right now, I don't know where they stand because Monolith Software as a studio had a quite notable evolution :
  • They operate now 5 development studios, 3 of them were created each year since 2017 (I guess they're going full-throttle on the switch)
  • We know that the Xenoblade Chronicles development team is working on a new RPG
  • They are working on another Zelda game (please note that they greatly helped on the design & development of BotW with their experience on openworld)

I would say that the remake of XC1 on switch is the product of one of the new studios.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
US Gamer had an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi and this subject was raised back in October 2018.

But right now, I don't know where they stand because Monolith Software as a studio had a quite notable evolution :
  • They operate now 5 development studios, created each year since 2017 (I guess they're going full-throttle on the switch)
  • We know that the Xenoblade Chronicles development team is working on a new RPG
  • They are working on another Zelda game (please note that they greatly helped on the design of BotW)

I would say that the remake of XC1 on switch is the product of one of the new studios.
The hype surrounding this game and the fact that it will probably sell well, along with XC2 doing quite well (along with it's DLC) means they might be willing to dump a lot more money into this franchise. This game is a $60 release and I suspect XCX would be too, and people would be happy to pay it.

It might be difficult to recreate, but I suspect it'd sell well.

RPGCrazied

I wonder how long this game will take to come out. If they are redoing every texture or better yet making the game in a new engine(looks like) they basically making the game from scratch its going to take awhile.

Last edited:

zenspider

I didn't think I'd care about an XC1 remake/remaster, but goddamn this looks gorgeous.
I might actually bother with the combat mechanics and the post-game on a second go 'round!

Japanese VO and it's a lock (I wasn't really feeling it).

Lunk

Yikes the Era responses to the graphics comparison are awful. "If yo want realism go play Final Fantasy".

Idiots. Here is what the difference is:
maxresdefault.jpg

DIFFERENT TEAM; DIFFERENT ARTISTS.

It is more anime, and people who say "the term has lost its definition", including potential GAFFERS, you are just being dense, we all know what this statement means.

As much as I'm looking forward to the cut content being added, I wish I could've had an original art style package that contained it. Oh well, but I just wanted to clear up the room on the graphics comparison and how "better" is such an immeasurable verdict here. The art style has literally changed: That's a matter of taste.

Now here is how actual Xenoblade 1 characters would look in higher def:
xenoblade-chronicles-x-a-promising-start-1.jpg

LOLCats

Banned
Could never play this on the wii, image quality was bad imo. Anyway definitely will give it a try down the line on the switch.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I am so hyped for this. I started playing this on Dolphin -- and kinda fell off around the time you got the new base you could upgrade? I think that was about halfway or so.

Anyway, I'm so stoked. I loved XC2, and remember enjoying what I played of XC. Now I'll just need to either setup my Wii U, or wait for a XCX remake too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder how long this game will take to come out. If they are redoing every texture or better yet making the game in a new engine(looks like) they basically making the game from scratch its going to take awhile.
End of the trailer just says "2020" so my guess would be anywhere from 4-16 months from now :)

I'd lay odds on it being a fall release next year personally. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

V2Tommy

Which means a whole new generation of morons complaining about the absolutely sublime soundtrack! I'll be using the OT to shine up the User Ignore feature to protect myself from such heathens.

Oh, we found you, person with no taste in music whatsoever. A racist, too!

Zenaku

Yikes the Era responses to the graphics comparison are awful. "If yo want realism go play Final Fantasy".

Idiots. Here is what the difference is:
maxresdefault.jpg

DIFFERENT TEAM; DIFFERENT ARTISTS.
The problem is that only one of them is proper artwork. The Xenoblade character artwork is just a 3D render that's been touched up afterwards, according to Takahashi. SB is a render, naturally.

Smasher89

I wonder how far further they'll take it. I once wished for a remake with multiple endings, since a game with a future-seeing protagonist and only one ending/timeline always felt a bit weird to me.
I recall fully expecting multiple endings, noticed a frame stutter on one ending cutscene and thought more would be there if you 100% the game, then learned there wasnt. Still best story on a Nintendo platform though.
Edit: anyone else have the collectors edition since the release and also had too little glue or something for that big box?

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Awesome I get to experience this again! Although I vastly prefer XBC2 in almost all aspects, it'll be fun to go through the first game with a much needed visual overhaul.

Smasher89

Sadly didnt have a ps1 or 2 to play those games, also jeard it hasnt aged well, so a remaster with qol updates could be interesting.

NahaNago

Can't say I like the new style for the characters. I'm not saying that they look bad but I was hoping for more of a realistic look to go with the world. I am glad that it is coming to the switch and I'll be buying it again since I never finished it the first time just like the ni no kuni game. I guess I'm going to continue holding off playing 2 now. I do wonder now if Nintendo is going to try and get the other 2 games from the wii era put on the switch, the last story and pandora's tower.

jshackles

It better run at native resolution, no excuses.
I mean, originally it ran at 854x480. I expect this to run at a higher resolution.

CrisPy2019

Oh, we found you, person with no taste in music whatsoever. A racist, too!
Maybe you should attend school first before you dare to talk to adults my little friend? First of all tell me please how that is racist. I think you opened the wrong forum. The dumb one starts with R.

Are you maybe one of the people that like to play victim just because some person with at least half a brain dares to disagree with you? Or do you feel you have to protect people that can't speak for themselves?

Second thing. How about not jumping to conclusions? Old school rap/hip hop is awesome. "Huh huh huh huh yeah yeah yeah yeah" is just bullshit caveman language. If you feel I am talking about a group of people .. that shows more about you than it does about me.
Also any kind of modern music that makes any form of violence/screwing b1tches or whatever it's main topic is shit, because it teaches our children how not to be.

But go one. You would not even last half a minute in a conversation with an adult without insulting, threatening or whining I guess.

Feel free to feel strong online my anonymous little friend that's the only place where you can feel like this and ask your mom to buy a new pack of diapers you just shit yourself because of that evil racist I am that destroys your worldview.... Grow some dignity man/woman/diverse whatever.

I hope me saying things at your level of speech made my point clear.

Thank you for reading xoxo

Last edited:

CrisPy2019

Did anyone so far talk about the other advantage of the "remaster"? The frame rate?

Didn't the Wii game run at 25fps in Pal regions? At least there it will be 30. 60 would be even better but i don't know if that's something we can expect. I mean it's not necessary but would be welcome.

Top Bottom