• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition announced for Switch

Birdo

Banned
I had this on Wii but only played a few hours.

The sheer number of side quests was overwhelming.

Ulysses 31

And I'll wait a little longer to get those heart to heart voiced.

iu

We might get the option to switch to Japanese voices at best. :lollipop_grinning:

Bakkus

Fantastic news. It's definitely a backlog of shame on my part as a Nintendo fan, but I've yet to play this. It's great that we're gonna get an remaster which changes the character designs in all the right ways instead of giving them the overly anime designs makeover the series is now known for.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd get this.

Durask

I played the original Wii version on an emulator which was a big step up from the Wii, but maybe will buy this version (I usually do not replay RPGs but may make an exception for this one).

I think a Last Story remake would be nice, great game but Wii graphics were ASS.

Awesome!!! I'm still early in the game on the Wii and didn't finish it a few years ago.

Can't wait to dip again on the switch!!!

Xenoblade Chronicles X is inevitable now.

I don't think it's gonna happen, Monolith said it would take a lot of work to port it over which is why I'm betting they went with the original instead.

I think it will happen though on whatever console Nintendo follows up the Switch.

NeededSleep

I remember the moment i reached satorl March and it was during the day i hated the place immediately .. but then the night came and it was one of my favorite moments of the game
Exact same feeling. I remember looking at the emulation dolphin videos of that area, they looked amazing.

mikemandey

Not sure I'll buy this again. I got hard stuck in the late game against that frickin' Disciple Lorithia. Eventually I was frustrated and decided to drop the game..

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Kind of off topic, but can you backup your saves on Switch yet? I haven’t used mine in ages.

If I put 100+ hours into that game and lose my data I’d flip my shit.

TLZ

Banned
Hopefully this is just a side project and they have the main team working on something else.

Aside from that it looks nice, definitely a big visual upgrade. Hopefully they improve the combat too because IMO it was pretty average and one of the main reasons I prefer XBC2
Exactly. I feel this is exaggerated. The game wasn't anything special last time I played it.

FMXVII

Hopefully this is just a side project and they have the main team working on something else.

Aside from that it looks nice, definitely a big visual upgrade. Hopefully they improve the combat too because IMO it was pretty average and one of the main reasons I prefer XBC2

I loathe 3 person parties.

I like the dynamics of having at least 5 characters in a fight.

But 4 is quite serviceable, and that alone would have made XBCX the better game, imo, though it had other perks too.

Shame about the way the Party member requirements were, though.

Herr Edgy

Great. Favorite game. Although I'm not sure I dig the new graphics. They look great but also different and some of the charm might be lacking, the color palette of the environment seems less colorful and more subdued/realistic.

Nevertheless day 1 with the most expensive version available.

Starhowl

The definitve edition is out since quite a while via an HD texture-mod and honestly, I totally don't understand all the fuss about the game.

Truly a jrpg epic on a cosmic scale.

I wonder what things they will change... Maybe they'll be removing the female characters swimsuit costumes while leaving the male swimsuit costumes in? That's the kind of thing that gets done nowadays.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yeah but only on microSD cards.
Apparently you can only “move” your data to microSD cards but you can only backup your saves to the cloud with an Nintendo Online account?

I just turned in my Switch for the first time in ages and that’s the only option I saw...

Last edited:
OMG.....I stopped playing the 3ds certain because it was a literal pain... But I LOVED the game. This is the best announcement and I'm sick and tired of RPGs.

Ma-Yuan

Fuck yeah Day One I am Feeling it 😅

Got the EU Collectors Edition, US Version and the German 3DS Version so I am quadruple dip for sure🤯

KàIRóS

Is xenoblade 2 that bad? Plan to buy it soon.

Overall it's a good game but it has one very questionable design decision regarding Blades acquistion, they basically decided to make them full RNG so you can spend hours and hours grinding for them, or a few minutes depending on your luck and you will be grinding forever once you start looking for the last Blades. It's basically a Gacha system (you know those phone games also called hero collectors) but in this case you're not wasting money to get new characters just your damn time.

Other than that, the story and characters are weaker than in XC1, there's no "Visions" mechanic during battles and there's no Skells (the mechas) like in XCX.

Some say the soundtrack is better in XC1, I find them equally good.

Everything else is generally better in XC2.

Windheim

Neo Member
Is xenoblade 2 that bad? Plan to buy it soon.
If you do like:

- a protagonist who can easily forgive a mass-murderer, because killing him would be wrong,
- gigantic silicon tits on a main heroine,
- annoying non-human party members,
- horrible anime tropes,
- overly-dramatic scenes for characters you don't care for,
- in-built gacha system
- a battle system that you'll fully understand only during the last boss fight,
- colossal damage-sponges instead of enemies for 100 hours of playtime

then NO, it is not that bad.

Top Bottom