• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

daffy

Banned
Phoenix_Apollo said:
I mean yeah, you only get charged when it ships, but you still have to say "I AM PAYING $60 FOR THIS" when you preorder it on Amazon. That's technically plunking down the money, whether people will keep it there or not is another matter altogether.
I really don't think the same way. I think you plunk down the money when you actually lose the money. Gamers are fickle and can change up by the day. I wish the best for you guys though.
EDarkness said:
If it comes down that people will do some mass cancellations, then all that does is hurt the cause in the long run. I pre-ordered a copy, and I intend to buy the game when it is released. It's not a good idea to push people to pre-order if they have no intention to buy.
Well, everyone who preorders is not going to necessarily buy the game, especially when there's no charge. Some people just like to keep their options open, so if it sells out in one place they have a backup. Preorders from Amazon don't really equate to sales in my opinion.

edit: also Amazon isn't the only retailer of games.

FTH said:
1. Not exactly sure, maybe someone will clarify, but I think its similar to FFXII. There isn't a penalty for death and you can save anywhere.

2. About 50-80 hrs long. Although with all the various side quests and other activities it could probably stretch to twice that. Endgame is massive apparently.

3. Yes. I believe almost everything carries over.

There's a thread with import impressions here. Not sure what page they start on.

You overestimate NoA.

Thanks. I'm liking everything I hear and see so far so I think I'll buy a Wii and import this game once it's out.

creid

Mockingbird said:
How it the campaign came about:

2008: Nintendo of america starts to have a more casual focus and stops localizing select games from Japan. Fans found this questionable, but decided to wait it out a bit.

June 2010: During E3 2010, Nintendo had no news / announcements regarding Xenoblade in the U.S. a whole year had passed since E3 2009 -- where Xenoblade was announced for a US release. Nintendo fans grow slightly worried but still very hopeful for an announcement later in the year. Meanwhile, many other games, such as The Last Story and Reginleiv, were left unannounced as well.

June 8, 2011: at the end of Nintendo's E3 2011 press conference, Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower were still left out of the upcoming release list. With the end of the Wii's life-span fast approaching, Nintendo fans lost almost all hope for a release of the three J-RPGS.

June 22, 2011: IGN user themightyme, proposes "Operation: Rainfall," a campaign to get Nintendo's attention and inform them that Nintendo fans are fed up and want Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.

June 23, 2011: Mathieu Minel, marketing manager of Nintendo France revealed that "Nintendo of Europe wanted to show Xenoblade Chronicles at E3 2011, but Nintendo of America wouldn't let them because they didn't want to show products they aren't planning to sell." (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26928). Nintendo fans start to remove the knives from their backs.

June 24, 2011: Clinging to the last bastion of hope, many Nintendo fans started to gather and lend their voice for operation: rainfall.

New topic sounds good to me. About the timeline:

• Consider striking the 2008 item. I feel like people are just going to start the "what does casual even mean?" argument all over again
  • Add in the original announcement of Monado at E3 2009
  • The NWR link is directly quoting a gaffer, maybe link to that post instead? (as a side note, it doesn't sound like English is said gaffer's first language, and the translation might not be precise?)
Maybe add mention of the IGN Wii staffer whose posts have been C&P'd in this topic somewhere. Maybe add a link to the 1000+ comment thread on Nintendo's facebook page?

blacky_am

Neo Member
slaughterking said:
Haha, not bad. I would really like to pre-order it, too.
Too bad I'm a European. :p

By the way, I just realized that it's not possible to pre-order the game anywhere in Europe. The game's missing from every european retailers' listing that I checked, japanese imports aside.

blacky_am said:
By the way, I just realized that it's not possible to pre-order the game anywhere in Europe. The game's missing from every european retailers' listing that I checked, japanese imports aside.
Yeah, we may get the game, but NoE is certainly not getting carried away with their promotion for the game. We haven't even seen a localized trailer.

Even if this is going to work, Nintendo will spin this in a heartwarming PR bullshit telling people how dedicated they are to their loyal fans, instead of admitting that they fucked up from the get go.

boris feinbrand said:
Even if this is going to work, Nintendo will spin this in a heartwarming PR bullshit telling people how dedicated they are to their loyal fans, instead of admitting that they fucked up from the get go.

If it gets them to reconsider localizing a lot of Wii/DS games, then who the hell cares?

blacky_am

Neo Member
slaughterking said:
Yeah, we may get the game, but NoE is certainly not getting carried away with their promotion for the game. We haven't even seen a localized trailer.

Well actually I've seen some (really ugly) screens of the european version with translated text, but that's all.

They're probably not planning to sell a lot of copies anyway.

Busaiku

boris feinbrand said:
Does it really matter what they say, so long as the games come over?

wsippel

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
I watched some videos of this game and the game is definitely not for me. The huge boring world with hours of walking just doesn't appeal to me. If games like GTA, Oblivion, or any free roaming game bores the living crap out of you, I suggest you reconsider. I mean, I'm sure people out there will enjoy it, but there might be some huge backlash if it's not that great of a game.
You underestimate the game. I'm not trying to sell it, it's absolutely possible that you might not like it in the end, but the videos really don't do it justice. Yes, traversing a huge world and exploring is a huge factor, but comparing it to GTA or Oblivion is selling it short. The world is a lot more varied and interesting, there's a lot more to see, and you're almost constantly fighting something, getting loot and items to fill your album (you'll understand that part if you ever decide to give it a try) or to complete the insane amount of sidequests. There are tons of optional bosses, hidden shortcuts, or just plain cool or funny things to see. Xenoblade honestly has the most interesting world of any game I've ever played. I spent about 40 or 50 hours playing the game not knowing what was going on, but the world alone really motivated me to continue and push forward.

The problem with the two exploration videos is that the characters are horribly overleveled. The enemies in Xenoblade don't have a death wish. They usually won't attack you if you're several levels above them, let alone several dozens of levels.

Chanser

New boxart
xenobox2l8a6.jpg

Red CC Pro...well its plain thankfully so I might skip the controller SKU...that aside.

Like typical NOE its the JP boxart with a slight difference:
960564_125917_front.jpg

Zoomed in slightly. Then again the might just be the controller edition outer packaging.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
boris feinbrand said:
Or worse yet, they've been planning a US announcement all along, but just delayed it in the hopes of stirring up a free PR maelstrom.

Lard said:
Anyone know where you can pre-order this from Europe?

Game.co.uk won't let me.
For sending out of Europe? Just wait. You will be able to pre-order off game.co.uk sometime before the 2nd September. They're probably waiting on the supplier to give a wholesale price (so they can set their price...its been a bad year so far so they can't take risks of guessing and eating the loss)

As for the boxart. Looking at the German solos one, its the same as the Japanese one except...added clouds.

Lard

Banned
Okay, I just wondered whether it was a regional thing or whether they just weren't taking pre-orders at all yet, thanks.

pgtl_10

I find it amazing that 365gamers.co.uk only charged me around $52 for the game and included free shipping. The game is almost as cheap as US.

Even all the problems that Europeans have to go through to import, they are kind enough to allow us Americans to import for cheap.

I love Europeans.

Diablos

pgtl_10 said:
I find it amazing that 365gamers.co.uk only charged me around $52 for the game and included free shipping. The game is almost as cheap as US.

Even all the problems that Europeans have to go through to import, they are kind enough to allow us Americans to import for cheap.

I love Europeans.
So do I. Too bad we can't import Parliament and single-payer healthcare. :(

Thanks for the link, might be going there to get the game if I can manage to get a used Wii for cheap.

Mael

If people consider that NoA tried a more casual approach then there's not 2 ways about it :
- NoA is moronicly mismanaged for going totally against what NoE and Ncl were doing at the moment
- people have a misconception of NoA not localising MonolithSoft products (after all they WERE burned by Baten Kaitos 1&O)

wsippel said:
You underestimate the game. I'm not trying to sell it, it's absolutely possible that you might not like it in the end, but the videos really don't do it justice. Yes, traversing a huge world and exploring is a huge factor, but comparing it to GTA or Oblivion is selling it short. The world is a lot more varied and interesting, there's a lot more to see, and you're almost constantly fighting something, getting loot and items to fill your album (you'll understand that part if you ever decide to give it a try) or to complete the insane amount of sidequests. There are tons of optional bosses, hidden shortcuts, or just plain cool or funny things to see. Xenoblade honestly has the most interesting world of any game I've ever played. I spent about 40 or 50 hours playing the game not knowing what was going on, but the world alone really motivated me to continue and push forward.

The problem with the two exploration videos is that the characters are horribly overleveled. The enemies in Xenoblade don't have a death wish. They usually won't attack you if you're several levels above them, let alone several dozens of levels.

That's now the extent of what I know of the game (seriously I only knew that it was a gigantic game ala FFXII with lots to explore on a strange world with a draw huge draw distance and fantastic artstyle, I don't even know anything about the music!).
If it's 1% what is described here I think I did the good thing in preordering the metal box version.

Diablos

It's really dumb that NoA gave up on this game. Wii has a huge userbase. Localization cost should be a non-factor given the high demand for this game. It's in British English anyway; just use that.

I'm most likely going to pick up a used Wii somewhere and import Xenoblade.

Mael said:
- people have a misconception of NoA not localising MonolithSoft products (after all they WERE burned by Baten Kaitos 1&O)
Actually it was Namco burned by the first Baten Kaitos (the only Nintendo to publish was NOE and Australia). As for Origins, anyone could tell you a JRPG on a system where the genre is basically Tales of Symphonia and Dreamcast ports (though from what said by Shinji Noguchi that was the reason they made Baten Kaitos for Gamecube to begin with) and said system is on life support (aka, can Zelda come out already?) wasn't going to get many sales. Throw in bad reviews for Baten Kaitos Origins (most of it seemed like lol PS1 background, talking headers and battle system that make no sense it got no win button) and well that's your lot really.

Wait a sec if we, replace Dreamcast ports with nothing and Gamecube with Wii its basically the same argument (except with an inferior Tales of Symphonia)...I didn't mean to justify NOAs skipping of the game but that would make the most sense.

Ydahs

^ Homebrew Channel or Dolphin

It looks to be an easy profit for NoA, but I think the damage is already done. Most people who wanted it probably have it preordered from Europe anyway.

Rich!

Hi2u said:
How are the people who are importing it to usa even gonna play it? the games are region locked on Wii.

It takes all of two minutes and a file on an SD card to hack your wii. And then voila, instant region-free.

BorndatascalP

Neo Member
Really looking forward to this game, but I can't play it. My Wii is broken, but I still pre-ordered it via Game.co.uk. Something tells me this game will be awesome. Maybe I'll play this one day on the Wii-U. It should be backwards compatible. In any case,... can't hurt to pre-order right :) ?

pgtl_10

I just Read that Reggie is watching European sales. I'll be ticked if Reggie releases the game after I already hacked my Wii and imported the game. :l

Top Bottom