• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the effect of multiple languages on install sizes?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Specifically voice files.

I know that’s a question that varies massively from game to game, but thinking about install sizes and next gen storage got me wondering about how much including different languages makes on an install, and if it would make a big difference not including multiple.

Europe, for example, has several that end up being included for the major languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and sometimes Portuguese). If this has a big enough impact on install sizes, would it be beneficial for a language selection when installing?

Last edited:
Well since I now have some concept of what you're asking ;)

I remember Titanfall getting a lot of shit for having uncompressed audio files for multiple languages which ballooned the size of the game significantly: https://techreport.com/news/26146/titanfall-pc-includes-35gb-of-uncompressed-audio/

I would think with decent compression it's far less of an issue. I don't think requirements for audio storage are increasing in the same way as say higher resolution textures.

Eyeballing my R6 Siege install by file names there's like 6GB of audio files vs like 125GB of other data. No clue how much of that is voice, but I think it's English only.

I would hope that Xbox Smart Delivery could handle installing a single set of language files, it seems like a pretty obvious way to save space.

kuncol02

Banned
Specifically voice files.

I know that’s a question that varies massively from game to game, but thinking about install sizes and next gen storage got me wondering about how much including different languages makes on an install, and if it would make a big difference not including multiple.

Europe, for example, has several that end up being included for the major languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and sometimes Portuguese). If this has a big enough impact on install sizes, would it be beneficial for a language selection when installing?
Witcher 3 language packs are around ~3.5gb each. That's probably upper limit of how big they could be. Most of games would be way smaller.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Witcher 3 language packs are around ~3.5gb each. That's probably upper limit of how big they could be. Most of games would be way smaller.
So we're talking about a potential waste of about 35GB, that's substantial. new games like Cyberpunk will likely be the same, and I'm sure next gen people will want all the space they can get.

kuncol02

Banned
So we're talking about a potential waste of about 35GB, that's substantial. new games like Cyberpunk will likely be the same, and I'm sure next gen people will want all the space they can get.
Witcher installed only one language pack. You could download other ones if you wanted to play for example with polish or Japanese dubbing. That's also probably biggest it can be (outside of using uncompressed audio, but that's cheating). In normal games I would expect 1/5 maybe even 1/10 of that.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Well since I now have some concept of what you're asking ;)

I remember Titanfall getting a lot of shit for having uncompressed audio files for multiple languages which ballooned the size of the game significantly: https://techreport.com/news/26146/titanfall-pc-includes-35gb-of-uncompressed-audio/

I would think with decent compression it's far less of an issue. I don't think requirements for audio storage are increasing in the same way as say higher resolution textures.

Eyeballing my R6 Siege install by file names there's like 6GB of audio files vs like 125GB of other data. No clue how much of that is voice, but I think it's English only.

I would hope that Xbox Smart Delivery could handle installing a single set of language files, it seems like a pretty obvious way to save space.
Witcher installed only one language pack. You could download other ones if you wanted to play for example with polish or Japanese dubbing. That's also probably biggest it can be (outside of using uncompressed audio, but that's cheating). In normal games I would expect 1/5 maybe even 1/10 of that.
From what you're both saying it sounds like games by and large aren't that bad about audio space, which is good.

I know that texture duplication no longer needs to be a thing, but what about audio? Was that ever something that needed to be duplicated?

kuncol02

Banned
From what you're both saying it sounds like games by and large aren't that bad about audio space, which is good.

I know that texture duplication no longer needs to be a thing, but what about audio? Was that ever something that needed to be duplicated?
To some degree probably too.

Didn't Ghost of Tsushima add 7 localizations with patch 1.03? If so, the US 1.03 was 8 GB while the EU one was 11.3 GB. Seven different dubs in less than 4 GB (compressed). We could compare the total game size: it's 47.10 GB for the European version 1.07

Top Bottom