• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Kolgar

Finished the game last week on 360 and I have to agree with the recent posts, Crysis 2 is a game that's somehow less than the sum of its parts. "Boring" and "by-the-numbers" are two adjectives with which I have to unfortunately agree.

Glad I played through it, and the game *did* have its moments, but I'm glad there's still a decent trade-in value for this game because it's one of the few I won't keep.

TheExodu5 said:
80 vertical fov is pretty high (higher than 90 horizontal fov). I wouldn't really see the need to go higher than that, unless you really want fighseye.
You don't see the need, I do. Plus there's no need to limit it with the new patch. If they fear for the implications in multi just make it cheat protected there.

Summary Man said:
Just started playing this game on 360, and my god, it looks fantastic. Fun as heck, too. I really appreciate the open environments and how the game lets you choose how to approach each situation. The only issue I have so far is with the suit energy. It's consumed so quickly, especially if you want to run and engage stealth/armor. I'm assuming it'll get upgraded soon, though, so this isn't too big of an issue.

Maybe playing this game directly after Medal of Honor is doing it a favor, as that game was a corridor crawl with underwhelming graphics, but I'm really impressed so far. The game froze once for me -- dunno if that's a known issue with the 360 version or not.
Eh, one of my beefs are the confined environments, they just drop you into a limited set piece at a time. Granted, still better than a lot of similar games out there but a step back from Crysis for sure.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Crysis 2 is actually one of the more imaginative FPS games that has come out recently. It tends to feel more thoughtfully designed.

I think its the comparison to the original that takes it down a peg, but, to me, there is a lot more to it than the typical FPS even after you take into consideration how watered down it is. The suit still provides that extra dimension that other games typically lack. Some of the game felt forced, but what game doesn't have that problem?

I tried to go into Crysis 2 without any comparisons in mind, and tried to just experience it. I thought it was a great FPS. The suit upgrade components were mostly retarded, but could be lived with. The story didn't really make sense a lot of the time. Other than that it was a really solid FPS that was a lot of fun to play, and there are many ways to tackle the various fights the game puts you into.

I'm not sure where the boring stuff is coming from. Perhaps it still has a little bit of the problem Crysis had for some people, and they don't pay enough attention to trying to have fun? Exploiting the environments to do badass things instead of simply trying to rush?

Dreohboy

JB1981 said:
Total fucking bullshit. COD can't wipe this game's ass.

And please stop offering Crysis 1 as a viable option for people that might think Crysis 2 is boring.

A person "bored" with Crysis 2 will probably fall asleep playing the original. Lots of freedom, yes. Also lots of just going around seein' stuff. No real story whatsoever in the first one.

I'd be curious to find out exactly what fps titles those that found Crysis 2 boring have enjoyed and not found boring?

Veal

The DOF/motion blur looks nice and all but the DX11 update doesn't look to add dramatically more. The fallout from the game not being DX11 from jump was completely overblown IMO. It's a great looking game even without DX11.

scitek

Lord-Audie said:
Is any playing this game online on pc?

I find it quite entertaining.

I'll try to get into it again. The LOD in the latest patch seems really bad, I have shit popping in just a few feet from me, and it's way worse than Extreme in single player appears.

Veal said:
The DOF/motion blur looks nice and all but the DX11 update doesn't look to add dramatically more. The fallout from the game not being DX11 from jump was completely overblown IMO. It's a great looking game even without DX11.
People were upset because Crytek was all about including the latest and greatest shit in Crysis 1, but didn't with 2. DX9 looks fantastic still. The Witcher 2 is DX9.

scitek said:
I'll try to get into it again. The LOD in the latest patch seems really bad, I have shit popping in just a few feet from me, and it's way worse than Extreme in single player appears.

People were upset because Crytek was all about including the latest and greatest shit in Crysis 1, but didn't with 2. DX9 looks fantastic still. The Witcher 2 is DX9.

Only they didn't even bother with pom textures so everything that wasn't super shiney looked flat and ugly.
Nor did they add high quality textures for pc, and there was no decent AA mode...

Witcher 2 has glorious textures and pom out the wazoo, you can't compare them.

Red

Dreohboy said:

And please stop offering Crysis 1 as a viable option for people that might think Crysis 2 is boring.

A person "bored" with Crysis 2 will probably fall asleep playing the original. Lots of freedom, yes. Also lots of just going around seein' stuff. No real story whatsoever in the first one.

I'd be curious to find out exactly what fps titles those that found Crysis 2 boring have enjoyed and not found boring?
I have been pretty vocal here about my enjoyment of Crysis 1 and disappointment with Crysis 2. As for other FPS games, I'd list Halo, Left 4 Dead, and Half Life as some of my most enjoyed series. Bioshock 1 was also exceptional. First person titles that don't necessarily fall under the FPS blanket, like Metroid Prime, Amnesia, and Portal, are games that I've really enjoyed as well. If you're talking multiplayer-specific, Killing Floor, Counterstrike, Shadowrun, Section 8, and Team Fortress 2 all have a place in my heart.

Do you want a full list of first person shooter games I own? Because I have a bit over 60 on Steam alone. And Crysis 2 is one of the least memorable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God damn, where the fuck is this DX11 patch? I need a reason to play through Crysis 2 for a third time.

scitek

SneakyStephan said:
Only they didn't even bother with pom textures so everything that wasn't super shiney looked flat and ugly.
Nor did they add high quality textures for pc, and there was no decent AA mode...

Witcher 2 has glorious textures and pom out the wazoo, you can't compare them.
Yeah I can. The uproar was specifically over there being no DX11 support. Both games look amazing using DX9, that's all I was saying.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Crysis 2 is still a great looking game in DX9, and so insanely well optimized. I just want the DX11 patch. :(

scitek

thetrin said:
Crysis 2 is still a great looking game in DX9, and so insanely well optimized. I just want the DX11 patch. :(
I want it too, but combined with texture packs from the modding community like the first game got.

Dreohboy said:

Eh, it all depends on taste. Crysis was fun because you could roam around the island, doing your thing (still limited of course but way better than in 2). The story in 2 so far is stupid and I don't see any improvement in regards to Crysis. It's just more streamlined to "modern" tastes now: Only 2 suit powers which can be activated, more cutscenes, more "Oh, shit" moments (scyscrapers collapsing, trains crashing etc., basically scripted events), more hand-holding (bullet tracers, tactical assessments etc.), more linearity etc., etc.

It's not a bad game and I wouldn't necessarily call it boring but I can see where those comments come from.

thetrin said:
The optimization is really great, I have to agree, almost makes up for the low res textures I'm seeing all over the place. But still, looks good and runs buttery smooth on extreme. Of course the openness of Crysis was a technical marvel in itself and is badly missed. There's just no real "wow" effect for me.

nib95

Banned
Playing this maxed out at 1080p and surprised at how smooth the frame rate is. Graphics whilst fantastic, still don't leave me completely awed though. I guess being a Crysis game my expectations were higher. Was thinking it would be a game changer visually. Still love the fact that it runs so well though.

So far enjoying the experience, but two things that are still big negatives imo are the AI and ragdoll physics. Physics are so wonky at times, with random death animations of legs flying in the air etc, and the AI, just weird. They're either incredibly dumb, somewhere in-between or too good (see you from miles away through a tiny gap whilst you're crouching or something pants like that).

Red

nib95 said:
Playing this maxed out at 1080p and surprised at how smooth the frame rate is. Graphics whilst fantastic, still don't leave me completely awed though. I guess being a Crysis game my expectations were higher. Was thinking it would be a game changer visually. Still love the fact that it runs so well though.

So far enjoying the experience, but two things that are still big negatives imo are the AI and ragdoll physics. Physics are so wonky at times, with random death animations of legs flying in the air etc, and the AI, just weird. They're either incredibly dumb, somewhere in-between or too good (see you from miles away through a tiny gap whilst you're crouching or something pants like that).
Wait till you're about halfway through and the graphics will really start to shine. What's impressive here isn't the visuals, imo, but the performance. They've done an excellent job with the engine.

bj00rn_

Banned
Kolgar said:
Finished the game last week on 360 and I have to agree with the recent posts, Crysis 2 is a game that's somehow less than the sum of its parts. "Boring" and "by-the-numbers" are two adjectives with which I have to unfortunately agree.

Glad I played through it, and the game *did* have its moments, but I'm glad there's still a decent trade-in value for this game because it's one of the few I won't keep.

I've played through the game two times, and can't wait to play through it again.. I just thought it was funny you're using the same argument against that I'm using for. I think the sum of all parts made Crysis 2 into a very nice experience. But then again, I love and respect the concept of different taste.

I just beat the game. It was fun, ending could have been better. Soundtrack was fantastic. Solid FPS.

I'm looking for New Game+. Do I restart the campaign or just restart a mission on higher difficulty? When I do the campaign, it says I'd loose all my data, I want to keep my upgrades.

Could someone tell me?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hey Crysis 2 players i just found an FY71 after the Xbox 360 patch went live, dont know if its a glitch or if some on disk DLC has been leaked by the patch.

But the gun is way overpowered.
Its about as powerful as a Grendel but fully automatic, and also has the Armor Penetrating properties.
Its also has zero recoil even less than the guns pre recoil patch.

Anyone have more details on what the story is with this gun

IMG_20110714_214831.jpg

IMG_20110714_214355.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
The FY71 was the more or less the AK of the first game, the Koreans used it in the SP. No idea what it's doing in Crysis 2

Just found out its on disk, to unlock it you need to download the Decimation pack.
But if even one of your friends has it you can play with it...if they are willing to die once for you.

Decimation DLC here:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...ion-Pack/23dd7056-f15f-4cb3-a41f-dbd56ee60fa4

Gonna check if i can trick the game into letting me unlock without purchasing the DLC.

sweetvar26 said:
I just beat the game. It was fun, ending could have been better. Soundtrack was fantastic. Solid FPS.

I'm looking for New Game+. Do I restart the campaign or just restart a mission on higher difficulty? When I do the campaign, it says I'd loose all my data, I want to keep my upgrades.

Could someone tell me?

The game keeps your upgrades even if you start a new game, or just load a level, the upgrades are saved after you reach any check point.

nib95

Banned
Played the game for several hours today. Just when I thought the visuals were a bit of a let down (my expectations were very high) and I was starting to get bored with the gameplay, bham! It all just upped 3 ate's! Visuals, scale, lighting, atmosphere...it all just went through the roof. Soon as aliens were introduced, I've started to enjoy the game much more. They're more complex enemies, and their manoeuvrability and appeal make them really interesting to fight. Love the experimental weapons thrown in as well.

I think they've done a great job with pacing in this game. It's not really open ended, but it certainly gives it a sense of openness. Area's are huge and vast, there's also usually lots of horizontal and vertical points of combat interest in given areas. You also get nice spots of mellow followed by dark and spooky or wide open and manic.

Game's gone from being only decent to great, lets hope it can keep up the pace!

I wish they'd come out with a single player expansion, instead of or in addition to all these MP maps. Loved this game but I already played through it like 3.5 times!

thetrin

Neuromancer said:
I wish they'd come out with a single player expansion, instead of or in addition to all these MP maps. Loved this game but I already played through it like 3.5 times!
I'd kill for a new single player expansion. I loved Crysis 2, and I just want more single player goodness.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hold up the links aren't working for me. Hype decreased. Fuck fuck fuck.

Also, if these don't work with the Steam copy I'm gonna fuckin' rage.

Stallion Free said:
I said goddamn.

Take the best looking game out right now apart from Witcher 2 and made it look even better.

EA has 2 of the most visually impressive games/engines under their umbrella. This and BF3 with Witcher 2 should make graphics whores like myself proud.

Okay GAF, I have a serious question: Should I download the $10 DLC packs or not? I've seen very mixed reports that are suggesting that most people didn't download them and consequently most servers never updated to them.

So is the DLC worth the price of admission or no?

Well, I figured out why I could never play the multi, where the servers always showed up empty since launch day!

...I...never patched the game. And now I have, and my .ini file has apparently become moot.

:/

Dreams-Visions said:
Okay GAF, I have a serious question: Should I download the $10 DLC packs or not? I've seen very mixed reports that are suggesting that most people didn't download them and consequently most servers never updated to them.

So is the DLC worth the price of admission or no?

I just made the mistake of buying it and no one playing it :(

But if you get it we can play together! lol

And yeah---there is literally NOBODY (and I mean zero people, no joke) playing it on PC, unless I'm not doing it right.

Lord-Audie said:
Anyone wants to play this game online?

I still play it to this day.

On PC.

What is your Steam ID?

Mine is ph33nix

But yeah, Dreams-Visions, I wish we could get a nice GAF Community somehow. I don't post in this particular thread much but what is the multiplayer activity here like?

What's the consensus on the PS3 port? Good or bad? I'm curious to see if PS3 owners will rank it above Uncharted 2 in the graphics department as well.

I think I might pick this up, haven't played a shooter in a while.

Purexed

Banned
bdizzle said:
What's the consensus on the PS3 port? Good or bad? I'm curious to see if PS3 owners will rank it above Uncharted 2 in the graphics department as well.

Started well, but the impression definitely took a dive from the iffy frame rate and bad image quality. Turn on 3D and it'll really get ugly!

Klocker

bdizzle said:

if PS3 was a "port" so was 360.
from PC of course

Top Bottom