• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Type-0 Official Trial Version Thread

Skilletor

The dragon in the ice level is some impressive stuff.

I love this game. I was hesitant to import because I'm not sure I want to play an RPG in japanese, but I'm sold on this (very beefy) demo. I don't want to wait until it, maybe, comes out stateside.

Just about to start this demo now. Can you save a file in it? Cause after downloading the demo, I only have 97 MB left on my stick, so I wanna know if I need to delete anything before I begin.

Skilletor

Megidolaon said:
Just about to start this demo now. Can you save a file in it? Cause after downloading the demo, I only have 97 MB left on my stick, so I wanna know if I need to delete anything before I begin.

You can save in the demo. A fact that amuses me to no end.

Aeana

I'm glad you can save, because the demo is long.

Also, the save will let you transfer the costumes to the final game.

Skilletor said:
You can save in the demo. A fact that amuses me to no end.
Ok, thanks. Guess I'll delete some music or something.

I'll need to save because because I'm sure I'll be constantly dying playing this in moon language.

Synless

Cheska said:
So did you guys just dodge roll to the end or something? I mean you can barely get in to attack without dying.
I was about to ask this. Are you referring to the battle with the 3 robots?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Keiician said:
When you save the game it says that you won't be able to use that save file in the full version, but you can transfer the summer costumes.
I didn't pay attention to that. I guess I should actually look at the text while I save! :lol I know about the costume stuff, though. It's neat that you could change abilities and check out Altocrystarium, though. Looking at it now, the demo is pretty beefy, and I wasn't expecting that at all. I figured it'd be all missions.

And gathering Fantoma is pretty cool. SO missions seem pretty neat as well.

With some minor fixes (camera), this game will be pretty good. Now that I've gotten the hang of the battle system somewhat and am using characters that I like, I'm not so bothered by it. But reserving final judgement for the final product, of course.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Megidolaon said:

97 MB should be FAR more than enough space to save a game.

daffy

Banned
Eh, I can't do this. D:

Done trying #3, but I enjoyed my time with Final Fantasy Blood on the Chocobo. No longer Day 1 though, after 3rd Birthday habits and also only having enough yen for a bag of candy. JP imports are too costly ATM.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Megidolaon said:
The save file is around 0,5 MB afaik.

kiryogi

Banned
Alright, for being a real melee oriented type of person, Rem and Sice will be my choices.

The breakdown IMO

Rem/Sice: good flexible all around melee with good AoE attacks.
Queen/Nine: linear with lances/rapiers. Jump is pretty awesome though.
Machina: linear as well, but a bit more flexible compared to Queen/Nine.
Ace: Decent ranged, definitely a lot easier to use the Kill sight on
King: Pure hax. Amazing ranged, honestly it felt like I was playing T3B again. Think he could make this game easy mode.

_Justinian_ said:
97 MB should be FAR more than enough space to save a game.
Oh you're right. I got KB and MB mixed up in my head. Thanks.

Keiician said:
The save file is around 0,5 MB afaik.
Haha, thanks. that's more than enough.

I'm liking this game so far. I'm used to bad camera on PSP games, and so I expected this.

kiryogi

Banned
Megidolaon said:
Oh you're right. I got KB and MB mixed up in my head. Thanks.

Haha, thanks. that's more than enough.

I'm liking this game so far. I'm used to bad camera on PSP games, and so I expected this.

That's honestly it. Its really no worse than most other titles in terms of camera control.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
kiryogi said:
Alright, for being a real melee oriented type of person, Rem and Sice will be my choices.

The breakdown IMO

Rem/Sice: good flexible all around melee with good AoE attacks.
Queen/Nine: linear with lances/rapiers. Jump is pretty awesome though.
Machina: linear as well, but a bit more flexible compared to Queen/Nine.
Ace: Decent ranged, definitely a lot easier to use the Kill sight on
King: Pure hax. Amazing ranged, honestly it felt like I was playing T3B again. Think he could make this game easy mode.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm testing out each character now and what you're saying seems pretty accurate so far...

Aeana

The reason why you guys are having so much difficulty is because the demo is poorly balanced. I'm reasonably confident that it won't be this way in the final game, but in the demo, for the harder missions, you're reduced to waiting/dodging until you can get a break sight attack in. Keep in mind that this works with magic as well as physical attacks, and with the mechs in particular, thunder is great to use a break sight with.

I really didn't like how it was pretty much the only way to do decent damage in a reasonable amount of time, at least from what I found. Perhaps someone else has found a better way to do it, dunno.

Either way, once you start doing that, it all gets pretty easy. IMO, at least.

Dunan

Older CFW folks: I'm struggling to get the ISO out of the EBOOT.PBP. Normally Prometeus (for the Mac; not sure about Windows) can extract it easily, but with this game Prometeus crashes when I try to do that, leaving behind a zero-sized ISO file.

Has anyone else managed to get this game running on pre-6.39 FW? As good as this demo looks, I'm not messing with my CFW again and possibly losing existing games just to run it.

Finally beat the last mission. Rem's Thunder attacks saved my hide more than once there.

That being said, I think I'm fairly confident in actually importing this now.

It's kind of a shame how the cutscenes are kinda reduced to the PSP screen size with its low res, because they're actually very well done. I actually kinda teared up when the guy and the chocobo died. My God. That scene was hard to watch :*(

They really went all out with the war stuff, which makes the scenes very disturbing. It'll be interesting to see how the story goes, because it has the potential to be quite memorable. Like the intro to FFXII

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've started playing with the abilities and now I feel the need to grind for AP. I'm doomed. I need to keep in mind that it's only a demo and nothing is transferable except for the superior uniforms. Haha.

Just tried out Ace. He's pretty good too. It doesn't feel difficult to time Kill Sight with him at all.

Aeana

Full impressions time.

This demo suffers from the same problems pretty much every RPG demo does. Systems exposed with no explanation of how to use them, throwing the player in the middle of difficult missions without ensuring they have a handle on all of the mechanics. I also think that most RPG demos preset you with suboptimal ability sets, and this one isn't any different.

That said, while I was initially very disappointed with the combat, the base mechanics have grown on me a little bit. I like the phantoma system. When you kill an enemy, they leave behind colored phantoma which is affected by the methods you used to defeat them. It seems to tie in nicely with the crystarium (being spent to power up your magic), and also encourages varied spell usage while rewarding you with MP recovery at the same time. The break sight system is wonderful. Someone said it was reminiscent of fatal strikes in Vesperia, and I have to agree. the problem in this demo, though, is that they are pretty much required to use if you want to do reasonably well in the later missions. I'm really hoping that in the full version, they won't be quite as compulsory. As much as I like timed response systems (a lot), I don't like feeling like I have to use them.

The special order mission system appears to add a significant risk/reward system to the game, giving you nice buffs and other such things in exchange for agreeing to take the mission on. While going through a mission, you will get a message that says a new special order has come through. You can bring up screen that tells you what the objective is, how long you have to complete it, and what buffs/etc. you'll get if you accept it. Completing the missions gives pretty good rewards like money and items. Unfortunately, failure results in death for your character, so the risks are really high. Still, I really like this system and I expect it to be pretty fun in the full game.

The taste of the customization systems has me feeling mostly positive, although I do wish some explanation or at least more freedom would have been given to mess around with ability sets and AP. As I mentioned above, I like how the phantoma system ties in with the crystarium. It's nice that you can switch magic around on your characters, but the opportunities to do it are too few and far between for a demo version of the game, I think.

The camera is an issue, and sadly RemoteJoy isn't completely compatible with this demo. I was able to play with it for a while, but it eventually freezes during combat 100% of the time. Very disappointing. The other really big issue I have is that the action doesn't stop when you go into the menu. I suppose the reason for this is tied to the multiplayer component of the game, but since there does not appear to be any way to use items besides going into the menu and navigating through the pages, I fear they will end up feeling fairly useless, as they do in games like Infinite Undiscovery where the menu also does not pause the action.

The aesthetics of the game are wonderful, and I really actually love the setting even more than I thought. The cutscene at the end of the ice mission has some implications for how the FNC lore applies to the game, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Overall, I'd say that the demo has me interested in the game, albeit this time with my expectations about the gameplay grounded in reality. If past RPG demos are any indication, then this should hopefully turn out to be a great game.

jae

Ok, that Mech mission is nuts. Really enjoyed that, even though I had to cheap my way through a lot of it with King.

Astery

got 10 costumes now, not sure what I need to do for the 4 remaining, beat all 4 stages, finished the only side quest available, talked to all NPCs that I could talk to. :|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
jae said:
Ok, that Mech mission is nuts. Really enjoyed that, even though I had to cheap my way through a lot of it with King.
That's definitely how I did it. King and lots of Thunder spells.

At least there seems to be more changes incoming, especially with regards to the camera.

Andriasang said:
Changes for the home version include increased enemy difficulty, with the enemies at greater level than your characters, and the inclusion of slightly improved camera code (Tabata's phrasing seems to suggest that the camera code in the updated demo still isn't final).
Source

I think I'm about done here too. I have a few more costumes to find, apparently (14 in all). My sentiments pretty much echo Aeana's, particularly with regards to the Altocrystarium, Phantoma and the abilities. I only did three of the OS missions, so I can't really make an adequate judgement for those, but I liked what I experienced for the most part. I failed my third one and that resulted in a death, though.

I don't like how it seems like Kill/Break Sight is essential to taking enemies down sometimes. This might relate to the increased enemy difficulty in the demo, though. The iffy camera has got to go, and if Tabata suggests that the camera control might be changed for the full version of the game, then that might ameliorate some of the issues I have with it currently. The situation where I'm busy running around dodging an enemy's blasts while trying to Kill Sight it in a tight spot and the camera isn't exactly being my friend isn't very pleasant at all.

That isn't to say Kill Sight is bad. I think it's pretty fun when you're taking down fodder, or when you finally take down one of those mechs. Overall... I kinda like the demo's mechanics more than I did before. I found a bunch of characters whose style I really liked to use, adjusted to their attack timing (especially for kill sight), and used them in the story missions. All the characters are kind of different (with regards to speed, power and timing) so you really do have to experiment in the tutorial mission and see which ones you like using.

The music is great. If you liked what you heard in Crisis Core, you're most likely going to like the Ishimoto stuff you're going to get here (similar instrument samples here and there too). There's one acoustic piece that I really liked that was reminiscent of a few of the pieces in CC (probably a cross between "Moonlight Wandering" and "Night of Seclusion"). Overall, I think it's shaping up to be a great soundtrack. The presentation of this game is amazing, by the way. The CG is wonderful, the voicework is great and the settings are really nice to look at most of the time.

Ice mission was my favourite as well; there was a lot going on in that one. The cutscene at the end of that one was pretty interesting.

I was surprised that SE released such a beefy demo, though (for free!). I wasn't anticipating being able to explore the ability system or Altocrystarium just yet. Definitely going to import this (and its soundtrack) when it's released. My lofty expectations going in have been tempered somewhat, however.

Go_Ly_Dow

The demo has me convinced I will love this. The graphics are so crisp and clean looking for a PSP game.

Just wish I could play it in English so I could know what the hell I'm doing in the menu's.

I died in the corridor just after you fight that gorilla/yeti thing. I loved that Piano music during the robot boss. So epic.

Favourite character to play as is definitely King. His camera lock is solid and it's so easy to kill the enemies before they can even hit him.

I enjoyed teleport spamming with Ace as well.

A Vita release could really fix the camera issues.

Aeana

M_Night said:
The demo has me convinced I will love this.

Just wish I could play it in English so I could know what the hell I'm doing in the menu's.

I died in the corridor just after you fight that gorilla/yeti thing. I loved that Piano music during the robot boss. So epic.

Favourite character to play as is definitely King. His camera lock is solid and it's so easy to kill the enemies before they can even hit him.

I enjoyed teleport spamming with Ace as well.
Is there anything in particular you'd like a translation of? I'm feeling way too lazy to actually take tons of screenshots and translate everything, but I'd gladly help with specific stuff.

Go_Ly_Dow

Aeana said:
Is there anything in particular you'd like a translation of? I'm feeling way too lazy to actually take tons of screenshots and translate everything, but I'd gladly help with specific stuff.

It was mainly all the character set-up stuff before the main mission starts.

Amir0x

Banned
Nix said:
What is this!? Crisis Core was fucking great
If you got to the end

Fuck me. It's at 89% DL'd, and I think it just stalled.

I've discussed it at length before. As always my hate isn't just to hate:

1, 2, 3

Basically, however, the DMW system was the worst anything ever, the combat was some awkward middle wasteland of straight up action and ATB that contained the strengths of neither, those optional side missions - which make up like 75% of the title - are some of the most awfully constructed little bits of repetitive gameplay ever, the story is so poorly written that I think if I heard "DO ANGELS DREAM?" one more time I would probably end up killing someone in a fit of blind passionate rage. The ending... what is the ending supposed to do? Oh, I made it up to the ending. I beat it. Am I supposed to be sad that this one dimensional puppet died? I dunno man. When the writing is so bad I just can't say I can care about anything that happens in the story, even if the story of the entire FFVII franchise wasn't laughable shit.

Anyhow, as for Final Fantasy Type-0, I hope the demo just sucks and the actual game is improved. I don't want to believe the camera is THAT bad, but then again I totally can believe it due to the team it's from. I just want a good solid Final Fantasy game with airships and chocobos and a world map, is that too much to ask?

Ratrat

The camera IS that bad. And I'm a MH fanatic.

edit: Its not as detrimental though I suppose. Being an rpg with lock-on/menu based commands.

dramatis

Dark Schala said:
I was surprised that SE released such a beefy demo, though (for free!). I wasn't anticipating being able to explore the ability system or Altocrystarium just yet. Definitely going to import this (and its soundtrack) when it's released. My lofty expectations going in have been tempered somewhat, however.
Type-1 (if it will exist) will probably follow the Dissidia tradition and make you pay for the demo. Since this is somewhat of an untested game using the FF brand, they're not going to charge you for a demo just yet...

duckroll

jae said:
Can you complete the fetch quest from the guy in the town?

Nope. He tells you there's no way too. It's just a teaser for what optional quests would be like in the full game. Since you cannot leave the town and get to the cave on the world map, there's no way you can actually do the quest in the demo.

Hmmm... I'm on 6.39 (OFW - CFW PRO B8) and my PS3 won't let me copy the demo. "You must perform a PSP system software update" what is this madness? -_-

yep can't transfer on 6.39. you need latest fw update for psp to do transfer from ps3 to psp

:( crap

Netto-kun

Risk Breaker said:
Hmmm... I'm on 6.39 (OFW - CFW PRO B8) and my PS3 won't let me copy the demo. "You must perform a PSP system software update" what is this madness? -_-
You can skip the firmware update if you download the demo from the official website or with Media Go.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finished the first mission and God do I suck at this. Can't time my killing blows because the damn camera is crazy and I have no idea what's going on.

And there's no costume for completing the training with all characters, damn!

Astery

nailed all of the costumes. Hope I can help you guys.

エースの夏服:clear mission 3

デュースの夏服:
1. in the first half of mission 1, only kill the soldier leader when the leader and the soldier appears from behind the gate.
2. After killing the leader, get they key from the surrendered soldier, unlock 1 of the trucks, get another key from the soldiers in there.
3. Unlock the other truck and defeat the boss that spawns from it.

トレイの夏服:talk with NPC アキ

ケイトの夏服:clear mission 1

シンクの夏服:
1. talk to the girl under the tree in town アクヴ a few times until the 3 other children nearby comes to the girl.
2. talk with the 3 children a few times
3. The girl will then head to the alley nearby, go and talk to her again
4. head to the entrance of the town where a soldiers spawns in, talk to the soldier and receive the letter from soldier.
5. give the letter to the girl.

サイスの夏服:finish the only side quest, who is in the hall where you start missions. You have to collect 10 red Fantoma where you can easily obtain them by killing enemies with fire based attacks.

セブンの夏服:clear mission 2

エイトの夏服:
1. In mission 3, only kill the leader mecha in the last section of the mission.
2. grab the keys from the surrendered mechs
3. open the door close by.

ナインの夏服: buy from store in town アクヴ, 980G

ジャックの夏服:give NPC in the mission hall 5000G, the NPC appears after clearing mission 1

クイーンの夏服:clear mission 4

キングの夏服:obtain from NPC appears in the beginning of mission 4

マキナの夏服:clear training battle mission

レムの夏服:In mission 2, clear the last SO, which requires you to kill 10 of the zombie like monsters. Ally kills does not count.

edit: thanks Keiician :)

Shikoro

Can someone capture screenshots? I want to see what's so crisp and beautiful in this game since I can't see it on my own. :'(

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks, Astery!
2 clarifications:
サイスの夏服:finish the only side quest, who is in the hall where you start missions. You have to collect 10 flaming orbs(?) where you can easily obtain them from your kills during battles.
10 red Fantoma, you get it by killing enemies with fire based attacks.
ジャックの夏服:give NPC in the mission hall 5000G, the NPC appears after clearing mission 1 iirc
Yup, she appears after the first mission.

Top Bottom