• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance : Burning Skies [PSVita]

V_Ben

Banned
Takao said:
Anyone else find it weird they showed a shitty Nihilistic game instead of a Studio Cambridge Killzone game?
I don't think the Cambridge Killzone game is far enough along yet for anything other than a showreel glimpse. We'll probably see it at E3.

impressed by the demo video although it looked like a really early build. one with JUST enough bells and whistles to use for a demo but still nowhere near beta quality.

i don't know why we need to poke the screen for alt fire, but i LOVE how you can take cover and then click-n-drag where you want a grenade. i hate wasting grenades on trial and error trying to throw right where i want. and firefights in games like uncharted can sometimes get to frantic to use the arc system. (which i find to be slow)

The touch-screen and motion based gimmicks in this game remind me of the grenade throwing mechanic from the first Uncharted. There's a reason why that particular feature didn't make it to Uncharted 2.

Iron sights? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I guess we will truly never have another Rfom type game.

I'll pass.

Loudninja

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
impressed by the demo video although it looked like a really early build. one with JUST enough bells and whistles to use for a demo but still nowhere near beta quality.

i don't know why we need to poke the screen for alt fire, but i LOVE how you can take cover and then click-n-drag where you want a grenade. i hate wasting grenades on trial and error trying to throw right where i want. and firefights in games like uncharted can sometimes get to frantic to use the arc system. (which i find to be slow)
Yes I like what I seen so far need better quality video, instead of that feed though.

ghostofsparta said:
Iron sights? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I guess we will truly never have another Rfom type game.

I'll pass.
Too bad, because R3 is looking to be the best Resistance game.

Toppot

TheBranca18 said:
The guy's not sane. There is no way in hell that one can characterize Insomniac a bad studio.

Which is why I'm so interested in seeing how they can back up their statement, I like to give people a chance =P . When Insomniac were rated the 16th best small company to work for in America last year and have an average Metacritic rating of 86 for their games.

Himself

Don't feed the troll. He's in every Resistance thread with something negative to say and nothing to back it up. Just bitter with too much time to burn.

Loudninja said:
Yes I like what I seen so far need better quality video, instead of that feed though.

yeah srsly, what is it with almost all of the Vita videos being recordings of someone holding it? i understand that they need to demo how you control them, but some of these games don't even use much of that but they still record it that way. there aren't many direct-feed videos other than in those demo reels with quick 2 second snippets of each game. "sizzle reels" or whatever.

I NEED ONE OF THESE IN MY HANDS NAOOO

I am not a big fan of the alt fire method. The weapon wheel is poorly placed in the center of the screen if you have to touch the weapon you want. It ought to be on the side of the screen.

Oh and this game doesnt look good at all but we will have to wait to see how it is coming together.

Cruzader

Banned
chubigans said:
To be fair, we were looking at off screen footage of off screen footage.

Why they cant do direct feed footage of PSV games, I don't understand.
They dont want to show a PSVita with HDMI out of people will go on a riot demanding that one for $250 or no buy...you know how it is.

Also Im not a big fan of Resistance due to janky gameplay. This new game is the same, sadly. Hope its due to being alpha or something or else fans may be disappointed. Meh game for me.

The M.O.B

Well that looked..........unappealing.

Framerate was iffy, the animation wasn't smooth at all, and the guns were boring.

Himself said:
I like the whole firefighter concept. It's actually kind of a cool changeup from being another soldier. What I'm really worried about is the developer shitting the place up and not capturing what makes the Resistance universe cool.

I agree, but it was a little cheesy grabbing the firefighter helmet. What no Dalmatian? Enemies looked liked they were in a shooting gallery, they just sat there.

Spiegel

Z83uI.jpg

vJ949.jpg

sXQA9.jpg

szplo.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
When I saw the animations, the geometry, textures, etc. I just couldn't shake the feeling that this started as a PSP project, and didn't go through a major conversion, just a face lift.

I thought how the Chimera's looked when they exploded into chunks of meat was pretty jarring.

TheExecutive said:
640MB of RAM should do a lot better than that! I think this is an extremely early build though.
it will look better i think, but remember that it will look better allready on the screen because it's smaller than these pics.

lantus

Wasn't really happy with what I saw of this game, it felt way too ordinary. Hopefully it shapes up more later, is there a release window for this yet?

textures look early, but those effects looks quite good. im actually kind of impressed.

i don't know if i trust the dev though. i've been burned before by big name companies handing their babies to unknowns.

It was clearly a demo area they focused on. Screens look good. Animations need a bit of work as well as the frame-rate. Should be solid.

dr_rus

TheExecutive said:
640MB of RAM should do a lot better than that! I think this is an extremely early build though.
The problem is that to view these shots properly you need to downsize them quite heavily - to the point where low texture resolution won't matter anymore.
I think they're pretty good for a handheld. And considering that that's a launch title I think that they're great.

Raonak

Banned
Screw the resistance haters.
1 was great, 2 was a disspointment, but Retribution was great too.

If Capcom gave up on DMC after DMC2, then we wouldn't have gotten the amazingness that was DMC3, and 4 which was better than dmc1 imo, and we probably wouldn't even have bayonetta.

luckly sony still sees value in the franchise. (and hopefully it pays off for them)

-

fire axe: YES!

I really liked that yu could put the button anywhere that you wanted to on screen. I loved the psp Resistance game, so I m hopefully about this. I just hope I can afford PSV close to release.

Loudninja

Gamescom: Resistance: Burning Skies Lights Up Vita
Other familiar aspects make their return in Vita's iteration of Resistance. The weapon wheel is here, and you can use the front touch screen to make your selections, or the analog sticks and face buttons. Grey Tech can be used to upgrade your weapons, as was proven when Riley stumbled upon some during my demo, using it to upgrade his Chain Gun, making it an even more devastating weapon.

But there are new features here too, including the ability to cook and throw grenades by using the touch screen, giving you pinpoint accuracy with explosives rarely seen in an FPS. There's even an automated cover mechanic that lets you use the face buttons or Vita's SixAxis, whichever is more comfortable for you.
We've known about Resistance on Vita since the device was announced, and we even had a couple of screenshots to prove its existence. But the revelation that the game was indeed a first-person shooter was exciting, and the fact that it played so fluidly during my demo was icing on the cake. It doesn't appear that Burning Skies is anywhere close to finished, and the game could certainly use some polish in the meantime (most noticeably in terms of how the game ran), but playing Vita and using it like a Dual Shock controller was exciting, especially when so many other games are attempting to prove that Vita can do things differently than the PS3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1188272p1.html

Loudninja

Resistance: Burning Skies Hands-On Preview
And then there are grenades, which are implemented in a really interesting way. You tap the icon and then drag it where you want it to land. The nice part is that you can cook grenades the more slowly you drag, which winds up being a very satisfying control mechanic--and we're not just talking about the violent jibbing that results from a well-aimed grenade.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the beefy hardware inside the Vita makes for an eye-pleasing game. Burning Skies looks quite nice, though there's a noticeable difference in character from the moody and atmospheric Resistance 3. The aesthetic here is a bit more straightforward, though you do get the occasional look at the devastated New York skyline--especially in the level we played, which has you making your way through Ellis Island after it has been converted into a research center for the humans to study chimeran technology.
http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/...ds-on-preview/?tag=updates;editor;all;title;3

theBishop

Banned
The story/premise has me intrigued, and some of the touch screen features even won me over.

But I have no confidence in this team, and the demo was really bland overall. Unexciting level design, new weapons looked uninspired, all weapons lacked weight. Enemy death animations were pathetic.

I could live with those graphics if they got the fundamentals right.

It's a real shame because this franchise might need a new team if Insomniac is moving on. Nihilistic doesn't appear to be up to it.

Loudninja

Lots of previews for it today
Resistance: Burning Skies May be The Answer to Portable Shooters
At this year's E3, I had the misfortune of eagerly watching other gamers try out the PlayStation Vita hands-on, while missing out on the opportunity myself. So during Sony's Gamescom event, not only do I get to mess around with a Vita, but I do so with an impressive title like Resistance: Burning Skies. Any skepticism I have for the device is thrown away within the first five minutes of this demo. A portable first-person shooter with dual analog sticks? Yes, please.
My favorite use of the touch screen has to be the Cluster Fire Gun (CFG). It's a pretty elegant solution against multiple enemies -- a quick swipe of the finger over three targets and the CFG shoots them all simultaneously. Simon and the developers are toying with the idea of adjusting the final number at a later date. From what I can tell, there isn't a range limit on this weapon either; I manage to hit both someone up close and a Chimera hanging off a water tower in the background. The only drawback so far is how can sometimes be difficult to see if you correctly selected an enemy to kill, due to how small the cursor is and its light yellow hue.

For the most part though, I have the best time using the cover system as much as possible. It's extremely easy to tilt the screen forward to come out of cover and shoot whenever I want; moving the screen back to hide behind cover has become the best way I've used the sixaxis so far. Oh, and the fact that the cover system isn't sticky makes maneuvering much easier.
http://www.1up.com/previews/resistance-burning-skies-answer-portable-shooters

Kerrby

Banned
Looks incredibly bad in nearly every way possible except the logo.

Damn, it looks as bad as Resistance 2. Easily the worst thing I've seen on the Vita.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
theBishop said:
It's a real shame because this franchise might need a new team if Insomniac is moving on. Nihilistic doesn't appear to be up to it.
Why bother? If it struggles to shift 1 million units per game and costs a lot to produce, why should the franchise have a sixth instalment?
They should use Insomniac's departure as a way to cut the series loose and move on.

Dammit. Are we really going to have to go through the "Every game takes advantage of touch (and now back pad and gyro) no matter how contrived it is!" bullshit from the DS's first wave of titles? I really hope they take it easy emulating iOS games, they need differentiate themselves. Tapping enemies to shoot them or lob grenades is fine on my phone, but if I have dual analogs available I'd really rather just aim.

I'm not sure how I feel about the always-present axe button. It's an interesting idea, and I really like having the ocarina and another item always easily available via the bottom corner touch spots in OoT 3D, but I also like my games as HUD-less as possible and the button is pretty glaring. Hopefully there's an option to just turn off the icon as that would give you the best of both world, and "Tap this corner to melee" isn't exactly a hard thing to memorize. No need for the icon there to constantly remind you.

watershed

Banned
I like the phrase "emphasizes dual analog gameplay", I wonder if we're gonna see something like that on the back of a lot of vita game packages.

Loudninja

dr3upmushroom said:
Dammit. Are we really going to have to go through the "Every game takes advantage of touch (and now back pad and gyro) no matter how contrived it is!" bullshit from the DS's first wave of titles? I really hope they take it easy emulating iOS games, they need differentiate themselves. Tapping enemies to shoot them or lob grenades is fine on my phone, but if I have dual analogs available I'd really rather just aim.

I'm not sure how I feel about the always-present axe button. It's an interesting idea, and I really like having the ocarina and another item always easily available via the bottom corner touch spots in OoT 3D, but I also like my games as HUD-less as possible and the button is pretty glaring. Hopefully there's an option to just turn off the icon as that would give you the best of both world, and "Tap this corner to melee" isn't exactly a hard thing to memorize. No need for the icon there to constantly remind you.
Than play it like that whats the problem?All of these control methods are optional.
artwalknoon said:
I like the phrase "emphasizes dual analog gameplay", I wonder if we're gonna see something like that on the back of a lot of vita game packages.
It is a big deal! seems like its really paying off.

theBishop

Banned
Krev said:
Why bother? If it struggles to shift 1 million units per game and costs a lot to produce, why should the franchise have a sixth instalment?
They should use Insomniac's departure as a way to cut the series loose and move on.

Sony has stood behind franchises that do a lot less. And Resistance is pretty flexible in that the "franchise" is essentially the timeline and the Chimera. Each game can be very different from the last.

A lot of publishers would be happy to have a franchise that's guaranteed to do Resistance numbers.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
theBishop said:
Sony has stood behind franchises that do a lot less. And Resistance is pretty flexible in that the "franchise" is essentially the timeline and the Chimera. Each game can be very different from the last.

A lot of publishers would be happy to have a franchise that's guaranteed to do Resistance numbers.
Sure, but ideally Sony should be creating franchises that sell the console to uninterested parties.
This might sound crazy, but a lot of their lesser investments like Journey and Twisted Metal might be doing more to sell the machine to those who don't have it than Resistance, because they're so unusual. Killzone steals all the attention and is the franchise that sells PS3 as an FPS machine.

theBishop

Banned
Krev said:
Sure, but ideally Sony should be creating franchises that sell the console to uninterested parties.
This might sound crazy, but a lot of their lesser investments like Journey and Twisted Metal might be doing more to sell the machine to those who don't have it than Resistance, because they're so unusual. Killzone steals all the attention and is the franchise that sells PS3 as an FPS machine.

Resistance has a built-in fanbase from being a PS3 launch title. It occupies a good place in the Playstation portfolio as a sci-fi shooter that's well-differentiated from Halo on Xbox. Yes, Killzone is technically a sci-fi shooter, but it's very grounded in realistic guns and human(ish) enemies.

I was disappointed in R2 like most people, but I think you underestimate the value and potential of the series. If R3 bombs, we can revisit this. :)

DiscoJer

theBishop said:
Resistance has a built-in fanbase from being a PS3 launch title. It occupies a good place in the Playstation portfolio as a sci-fi shooter that's well-differentiated from Halo on Xbox. Yes, Killzone is technically a sci-fi shooter, but it's very grounded in realistic guns and human(ish) enemies.

I was disappointed in R2 like most people, but I think you underestimate the value and potential of the series. If R3 bombs, we can revisit this. :)

Yeah, but the trouble is, if you don't own a PS3 (or really even a PS3 at launch) then Resistance is pretty much valueless.

I think that's one big mistake that Sony is making with the Vita, acting like it's an accessory for PS3 owners, rather than making AAA Vita only games (yes, I know they have artsy indy stuff like Gravity Daze and Little Deviants, but Loco Roco/Patapon wasn't enough for the PSP).

Takao

Banned
Kerrby said:
Looks incredibly bad in nearly every way possible except the logo.

Damn, it looks as bad as Resistance 2. Easily the worst thing I've seen on the Vita.

Have you seen Shinobido 2? kekeke

That's a really low budget game, so meh.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
DiscoJer said:
Yeah, but the trouble is, if you don't own a PS3 (or really even a PS3 at launch) then Resistance is pretty much valueless.
Yes, this is what I was trying to get at.
I think that's one big mistake that Sony is making with the Vita, acting like it's an accessory for PS3 owners, rather than making AAA Vita only games (yes, I know they have artsy indy stuff like Gravity Daze and Little Deviants, but Loco Roco/Patapon wasn't enough for the PSP).
Absolutely agreed. It seems like only Japan is coming out with big Vita games that aren't spin-offs (like Gravity Daze, which actually looks like a large scale, decently budgeted adventure game).
Sony shouldn't make the mistake of thinking they're Nintendo. Their franchises aren't worth that much. Casual gamers aren't the only people who'd be more interested with something new.
Takao said:

Shinobido doesn't bother me. As you say, it's low budget, and I don't think it's a problem if a lot of Vita games end up looking PS2ish. Not every studio has a lot of money to throw around on handheld games. Plus, going by the past Shinobido games, it might at least actually be good.

Agent X

I'll be honest, after reading some of the comments here I was expecting an outright piece of junk, especially considering Nihilistic doesn't have the greatest track record. The video, though, doesn't look bad at all.

If I have to complain about anything, I'll say that the Chimera death animations are terrible, and I didn't really any indication of the cool and innovative weaponry that we're accustomed to getting from Resistance games. I'm also not a fan of doing so many things on the touch screen--I hope that they follow in the footsteps of Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and include traditional controls in addition to touch screen controls. Let the individual gamer decide which method works best for him.

I admit that I'm still concerned about having Nihilistic assigned to this project, but if Insomniac can still maintain a level of involvement with the production, then there's still hope that it can be worthwhile in the end. As others have already mentioned, Resistance: Retribution on PSP didn't have Insomniac directly at the helm, yet it turned out to be an excellent game.

theBishop

Banned
DiscoJer said:

At least for the first year, while Vita costs $250, Sony would be stupid not to leverage their early adopters. Obviously that crowd isn't enough to sustain the system forever, but it's enough to get off to a good start.

Loudninja said:
Than play it like that whats the problem?All of these control methods are optional.
Oh, OK, I missed the part where they explained that you can use the secondary fires without having to touch the screen. If you can, that's fine, but they way it was explained in the video made it sound like you had to use the touchscreen to paint targets with the one gun and lob grenades with the carbean.

Kerrby

Banned
Takao said:

Shinobido 2 looks alright though, I'll probably pick that up. Been craving a Tenchu game but that most likely won't happen :(.

But yeah Shinobido looks 100 times better than this Resistance game. What the hell happened to the guys hands? Is he a burns victim
He is a fire fighter so it may be possible
?

BurntPork

Banned
dr_rus said:
The problem is that to view these shots properly you need to downsize them quite heavily - to the point where low texture resolution won't matter anymore.
I think they're pretty good for a handheld. And considering that that's a launch title I think that they're great.
The screenshots are already at Vita's resolution.

It looks like a very early alpha game at this stage. Looking at other Vita games, there's no excuse for this. This better get delayed because it looks like it should have another year of development.

Top Bottom