• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

Zee-Row

Banned
Am I the only one that grinds on those bubble skull enemys on the first dungeon of Zelda 2 in that room where you take the elevator down before the bridge that leads to the candle? They give the best exp early in the game and make things a lot easier.

Ragus

Banned
Wow, you guys seem to be quite happy about those NES games.

I'm scared to think what will happen in this thread when we get GBA titles ;).

Zee-Row said:
Am I the only one that grinds on those bubble skull enemys on the first dungeon of Zelda 2 in that room where you take the elevator down before the bridge that leads to the candle? They give the best exp early in the game and make things a lot easier.

Woah, you can kill those guys? Didn't know that thanks.

MLH said:
Oh man, Nintendo is not so high tech to have systems to automatically update, lol.

They won't be up until around 9:00am tomorrow at the earliest.

But why have they released the games already in NA and japan but not EU? Why not release the games in the 3 regions at the same time? Why only release it in 2? And EU is a few hours ahead of NA....makes no sense to me

Lovely Salsa said:
But why have they released the games already in NA and japan but not EU? Why not release the games in the 3 regions at the same time? Why only release it in 2? And EU is a few hours ahead of NA....makes no sense to me

Because Nintendo. I'd love to be wrong but I'm expecting we'll get them at the same time as the usual e-shop update.

Zee-Row

Banned
GrumpyAlien said:
Woah, you can kill those guys? Didn't know that thanks.
In the beginning they take almost 30 seconds to kill if you keep slashing them but its worth it because they give you 50 exp for each kill and plus they keep respawning by just moving around they screen a little , you don't actually have to exit the room.

Amir0x

Banned
i'm not sure which NES game I should really bother playing, most of these are pretty eh at this point in time

maybe I'll download Yoshi and Wrecking Crew, been a while since I've played those

Alchemy

For people looking for save details, it looks like the emulators have the basic save state that was available on the Wii versions. Just back out of the game using the Home menu and you'll be able to return to the same state in game.

I was obsessed with Donkey Kong Jr. on my dad's Intellivision when I was 5, so I was happy to see it here. And was surprised to find out the Intellivision version was missing a stage, because I don't recall the stage with the electric balls. Then I checked out a video on youtube, and holy crap. In my memory it looked the same as the NES version...when in fact.....not so much....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G26CerCd5o0

Highlights: The music restarts every time you do ANYTHING (in the first stage anyway; the other stages it seems to just cut out temporarily and then continue on), and Mario is apparently of Smurf heritage. Who knew?

angelfly

Lovely Salsa said:
It seems to me like Japan decided to release early then seeing that NoA said screw it and stuck theres up as well while NoE is sticking to the schedule.

Branduil

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I was obsessed with Donkey Kong Jr. on my dad's Intellivision when I was 5, so I was happy to see it here. And was surprised to find out the Intellivision version was missing a stage, because I don't recall the stage with the electric balls. Then I checked out a video on youtube, and holy crap. In my memory it looked the same as the NES version...when in fact.....not so much....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G26CerCd5o0

Highlights: The music restarts every time you do ANYTHING (in the first stage anyway; the other stages it seems to just cut out temporarily and then continue on), and Mario is apparently of Smurf heritage. Who knew?
NINTENDO COPR

Zee-Row

Banned
Still in the first dungeon and Link has good stats farming the bubbles.
IMAG0139.jpg

walking fiend said:
it has map now?!!! on the bottom screen, please?

No, it doesn't have a map.

balladofwindfishes said:
whens should these show up on my club nintendo list?

I don't want to miss the very slim window of time they give me to do surveys these days

Probably in 1 week like other downloads.

MLH said:
Oh man, Nintendo is not so high tech to have systems to automatically update, lol.

They won't be up until around 9:00am tomorrow at the earliest.
They used to update the Wii VC in Europe at 12 AM. Nowadays they update around 3 PM, iirc.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lovely Salsa said:
I don't like Nintendo(of Europe)
They can't catch a break can they. They localise a bunch of new games, but because they are a little slow with some NES games we hate them all over again.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
PounchEnvy said:
So what's the button combo for saving on second player?
As mentioned above, for the Zeldas and Metroid...

1) Press START to pause.
2) Switch to Controller 2 (hold L+R and press Y)
3) Hold U and press A.

This should bring up the "Save/Quit" or whatever screen.

This SHOULDN'T increase your death counter in the original LoZ, if I remember correctly.

I wonder if these games showing up in the previous download list today instead of tomorrow is an unintended effect?

I know we've all bitched about how downloading them was a pain in the ass but maybe if we had waited until the shop update tomorrow they would have showed up somewhere else and it would have been a little easier.

I also wonder if all 10 games show up in you Club Nintendo list whether you actually download them or not?

Gino

Zee-Row said:
Farming bubbles eh. Is there a certian method to this? how come you have the red tunic already?

EDIT: sheild spell for red... I forgot.

Poyunch

DavidDayton said:
As mentioned above, for the Zeldas and Metroid...

1) Press START to pause.
2) Switch to Controller 2 (hold L+R and press Y)
3) Hold U and press A.

This should bring up the "Save/Quit" or whatever screen.

This SHOULDN'T increase your death counter in the original LoZ, if I remember correctly.
Yeah um I saw that but I have no idea what U is. :eek:

Ricker

Zee-Row said:

Yep,one of the nice tricks back then hehe...

blurrygil

chrislowe said:
cannot wait to play 23 year old games on my not even half year old system :)

That's a cute opinion there, Junior...

jman2050 said:
Wait, Yoshi is one of the games?

I played that game a ton when I was young.

Still holds up, today. :)

AftAsher said:
Not happy with the lack of emulation options on this rushed NES emulator for 3DS.

As you know, when you press Select + Start when launching a GB or GBC Virtual Console game, you can get a 1:1 resolution, with a GB/GBC console border.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eu0CREgEp...Sdw/s1600/screenshot_255917_thumb_wide940.jpg

With this ones, you just get the AWFUL FILTER version of the games.

let me show you an example, this is SMB on my 3DS

http://s1.proxy04.twitpic.com/photos/large/386348338.jpg

YES, it looks like SHIT.

This is how it should look with a 1:1 resolution

http://www.underground-gamer.com/wiki/images/6/68/SMB1.gif

Just like ANY other game on the eShop.

Hope this gets fixed soon :(

F*ck that. That's how it used to look BITD man. Leave it. In fact, make it look worse with occasional screen-snow!!

AftAsher said:
Just because the 3DS match the 4:3 aspect ratio as our old tv did years ago, doesn't mean that 1:1 its an incorrect aspect ratio, 240 x 224 thin or not its the best way IMO to play NES games.

"...IMO"

Right.

GDGF said:
OK Ice Climber is pretty rad.

One of my all-time faves. I beasted that game in middle-school. Still love me Da Climbers!

GDGF said:

AWESOME stuff, mate! Was watching these with co-workers about a month ago. I have some of these on original VHSs as well...

Zee-Row said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/ZeroReborn/IMAG0139.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Farming [spoiler]Red Knights at the front of temples 2-onward from striking the statue is much better, as is going through Death Mountain multiple times.[/spoiler]

[quote]Farming bubbles eh. Is there a certian method to this? how come you have the red tunic already?
[/quote]Shield Spell. You get it in one of the first towns (and without needing to do a side quest).

Poyunch

I've just been grinding on Zelda II for a few hours and I don't know why I found the game so difficult before. I think I'm going to enjoy playing it this time.
XiaNaphryz said:
Ohh.

DeVeAn

So I know this will be updated but, why are we stuck with one set of controls? I need Y as my run button in Super Mario. Also the dpad sucks soooo bad on the 3ds. I might be alone but honestly this doesn't change my mind about Nintendo as of late. I would have rather got $20 worth of points. Not to thrilled with this old ass games. Shame on me for buying the unit so early.

DeVeAn said:
So I know this will be updated but, why are we stuck with one set of controls? I need Y as my run button in Super Mario. Also the dpad sucks soooo bad on the 3ds. I might be alone but honestly this doesn't change my mind about Nintendo as of late. I would have rather got $20 worth of points. Not to thrilled with this old ass games. Shame on me for buying the unit so early.

I'm relatively happy with the NES games and I expect to be thrilled by the GBA games, but the d-pad and run/jump button layout has made Super Mario Land and Super Mario Bros. way too difficult to play. It's probably what's going to push more toward a 3DS Lite.

Top Bottom