• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
gundamkyoukai said:
People hype up there self too much for FI .
Fishmen are nothing compare to people Luffy fought before and most of them are trash .
They need WB to protect them.

Of course this is how a human would think! See how they treat us, brothers?? They call us trash and yet all you do is defend them!

I'm the one trying to help us all out!

Fisher Price Pirates assseeemble!

Bleach
gunbo13 said:
Bleach (ch 473)

-The black box blocks the crowd
Not a bad chapter but pretty standard. Byakuya did apparently "sort of" seal the deal with Tsukishima and apparently he fought the memory implanting citing Ichigo. You know, I actually like it better when Byakuya is more combative of Ichigo. I hope he only panders to him when he isn't around being secretly respectful. I don't want to lose the public antics of the two and their disagreements. Rukia just popping back was sort of anti-climatic. Sure, we will get a flashback to what happened but I'm sure Riruka ditched. I didn't want Rukia to be shown unconscious in the arms of Byakuya on the first arc of her newly shown self... Especially when Renji got play...

Then we have some standard fighting with Ginjo. It wasn't terribly exciting and you still get the feeling that Ichigo is holding back a bit like usual. Either that or you just know he has all that underlying potential that can break out at anytime. Basically, Ginjo is not an appropriate opponent for Ichigo even as an appetizer for his come-back. I wouldn't prefer somebody more powerful necessarily...but I just don't like the match-up. It lacks tension.

We end with some mind-fuck attempt on Ichigo. Of course there lies all the normal speculation and I don't even care to guess. It wasn't bad and I'm mildly looking forward toward the next chapter. Truthfully though, I was only really into it for Byakuya's fight.

Ch in 3 (dying, dimensions, questioning)
Riruka seems to have entered inside of Rukia. She already had the ability to put people into toys like the Yakuza guy. When she got the power up from Ginjou, she seemed to have the ability to enter into people, and erase her riatsu, but we will see.

Ginjou is definitely holding back since he is still in his human form. He is confirmed to be a sub shinigami, so expect him to have shiaki and probably bankai.

Fidelis Hodie said:
Of course this is how a human would think! See how they treat us, brothers?? They call us trash and yet all you do is defend them!

I'm the one trying to help us all out!

Fisher Price Pirates assseeemble!

Lol
You might be stronger than average person but your still nothing but a fish.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I bet Riruka took control of Rukia's mind.

When she starts getting all friendly with Ichigo I will laugh and laugh.

survivor

Banned
ST&RS 17

The fuck I'm reading? Just go to Mars already and stop with this boring crap.

I really want to drop both this and Kurogane, but knowing they will get cancelled soon I might as well keep going.

gunbo13

Nisekoi (ch 1-2)

-That pendant is so stupid looking
Onto the surprise with Nisekoi. I like really like this series...like really. I read the first two chapters twice. I kind of then had to think a bit why I like it since the whole pendant premise is really whacky. Then I realized that the chemistry between Raku/Chitoge is just really well done. It actually doesn't occur often with manga main male/female duos so I'm quite impressed. Usually when they acknowledge opposing chemistry in manga ("you two seem to get along"), which they have done in Nisekoi, it is not realistic to the reader. In this case, I believe it.

Anyway, did anyone notice that Chitoge knew that the pendant was from a girl 10 years ago or whatever, when Raku didn't even say a thing about that? I believe all he said, based on the translation, was that it was about a promise a long time ago. Does Chitoge know something and that is why she went out of her way to retrieve it? I think so but I'm not sure how. This isn't some Love Hina shit where we are confused about
which of three childhood friends got the promise.
We have the girl with the key. I'm genuinely interested where that heads especially since I really like the main three characters.

Another surprising one along with MMY. I give my thanks to mangaf since I grabbed the titles from the thread.

Ch's in 4 (promise, disagreements, yakuza, dating)

scy

gunbo13 said:
Anyway, did anyone notice that Chitoge knew that the pendant was from a girl 10 years ago or whatever, when Raku didn't even say a thing about that? I believe all he said, based on the translation, was that it was about a promise a long time ago.

Yeah, I think I remarked about that; I think there's some connection. I'm just hoping it's not something as silly as
she's the original promise girl and she gave the key to the other girl when she left but that's really about the only way to work it out with Chitoge as the promised girl.

gunbo13

scy said:
Yeah, I think I remarked about that; I think there's some connection. I'm just hoping it's not something as silly as
she's the original promise girl and she gave the key to the other girl when she left but that's really about the only way to work it out with Chitoge as the promised girl.
If they pull that, I'm out.

I'm thinking of a back-story where Chitoge and Raku had interactions as children. It makes sense being from the same yakuza background. Maybe Chitoge was just a spectator and observed the event so she knew of the importance. Either that or we have some trope memory phasing going on with Raku where he doesn't remember interacting with Chitoge.

I'll go with Chitoge being the event spectator due to the yakuza connection. She is hiding the fact that she remembers or knows Raku. I'd vote for some jealousy as well.

scy

gunbo13 said:
If they pull that, I'm out.

I'm trying to tie in the silly gift hand-off premise of the pilot, really.

I'll go with Chitoge being the event spectator due to the yakuza connection. She is hiding the fact that she remembers or knows Raku. I'd vote for some jealousy as well.

That's probably the more likely (and least lol-inducing) route. I just kind of hope it plays out well if she is just kind of the bystander from the past; poor childhood friend and promise getting trampled on and all.

Well ... more concerned with whether or not it'll be given the time to play out ...

gunbo13

scy said:
I'm trying to tie in the silly gift hand-off premise of the pilot, really.
I didn't read the pilot. They pulled that? Same characters and everything? Usually I almost always read the one-shot but for some reason I just didn't this time. Probably cause it is a WSJ series and they usually do resets. I guess I'll have to...
scy said:
Well ... more concerned with whether or not it'll be given the time to play out ...
Bad signs so far? Maybe a bit too much on top of Kagami no Kuni?

somedevil

Billy Bat:

Anyone reading this? There are translations out for 65-70 now and reading them its getting pretty crazy. A foreigner killing people in Japanese village and a mailman to get to the scroll. Time travel and 4-D dimension, and Einstein seeing the bat.

Also, the idea of the scroll so far
is that it allows you to go the 4-D to time travel and rewrite history the way want it. The bat seems to exist at that dimension.

scy

gunbo13 said:
I didn't read the pilot. They pulled that? Same characters and everything? Usually I almost always read the one-shot but for some reason I just didn't this time. Probably cause it is a WSJ series and they usually do resets. I guess I'll have to...

The girl with the key is new and it's pretty different, honestly. The oneshot used
they exchanged gifts as children but then Chitoge gives hers away which causes a rift between them.

Bad signs so far? Maybe a bit too much on top of Kagami no Kuni?

Nah, just remembering his prior work, Double Arts, got like 23 chapters or so before it was canned :/

TommyT

NomarTyme said:
Hitman Reborn! was anti climatic....

KHR

Yeah, but at least we know that it's not a one-time use thing. Will be cool to see all of them go back to their former selves for a bit. Maybe even fight each other?

NomarTyme

TommyT said:
KHR

Yeah, but at least we know that it's not a one-time use thing. Will be cool to see all of them go back to their former selves for a bit. Maybe even fight each other?
Judging by the hype in how they're fucking monsters, I would rather watch them fight instead the other guys.

gunbo13

Beam said:
Bleach

Riruka seems to have entered inside of Rukia. She already had the ability to put people into toys like the Yakuza guy. When she got the power up from Ginjou, she seemed to have the ability to enter into people, and erase her riatsu, but we will see.

Ginjou is definitely holding back since he is still in his human form. He is confirmed to be a sub shinigami, so expect him to have shiaki and probably bankai.
Both of those make sense. I just don't know why Riruka would enter Rukia unless it is some "Ichigo crush I want to be near him but I'm a bad guy, so very angst" stuff.

I did not know that about Ginjou. I should read more of what you guys write. But still, so far this battle has been really mundane. I mean fighting the espada...now that is some tension in a battle shounen. I was on edge multiple times with Ichigo's fights.

EDIT:
Oh wait, I remember when they verified that Ginjou was a sub-shinigami. I read your post oddly for some reason. He was Ichigo's predecessor, etc... I just don't really like Ginjou TBH. He's very uninteresting but we'll see what his story is. Character's like Urahara can get way more interesting with well done flashbacks.

Urahara is my favorite character in Bleach FYI. ;)
scy said:
Nah, just remembering his prior work, Double Arts, got like 23 chapters or so before it was canned :/
Well, it is only two chapters but I still hope it does well. Like I said, it is rare to have such main female/male chemistry like Sousuke/Chidori (FMP), Risa/Otani (Lovely Complex), and uh...yea that's what I mean.

On a side note, I think I'm going to pick up Hayate. But please answer me these questions three two.
1. Do any relationships eventually advance...like at all?
2. Where do I pick up if I've seen all anime episodes through s2?

Much obliged. ;)

KHR

Yes Skull and Enma are finally a worthy team and Chrome gets to take part. That was a fun chapter, though if Skull is considered the weakest arcobaleno, then I cant even begin to imagine how strong the others are (unless this was addressed in the anime which Ive not made it that far yet). I just want to see Verde.

upandaway

Gamaran

I didn't really like the battle but the last slash was kinda cool. An upside-down Shidensen is worth a finisher.

The feel of the manga from the beginning to now sorta reminds me of Psyren..

Magico

I'm liking this arc a lot.

Kreed

Naruto:

Angry Grimace said:
With regards to Naruto, it would have ruined the story if he could just overpower all of the enemies at that stage. Saying you want something to happen regardless of whether it makes for good storytelling is not a particularly compelling argument.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, however.

You're misinterpreting me only because you're thinking about how Naruto being stronger would have affected the current story after the fact. I'm not concerned with how the story is going right now (particularly since I'm not reading it), I'm talking about how "most" readers felt during that stage of the story.

Naruto not learning any significant new techniques from Jiriaya was a disappointment for most of the fan base. And the fan base was disappointed because battle/shounen manga readers have come to expect time skips = significant increases in strength. If you want to argue that this was for the greater good story wise or that you're happy with the results of the 2+ more training sessions that's fine but that's not why I was referencing Naruto.

Also I wasn't suggesting Naruto having the ability to overpower his foes, vs Kishimoto cutting out one of the training sessions (the Wind Training session if we are focusing on the story as is) and having Naruto have learned those skills during the time skip.

One Piece:

Beam said:
I don´t want Luffy and the other to be owned or lose. I just want them to struggle a little especially after the all the hype that Hodi and the others had. Why did they take all these pills if they are going to lose so easily? Hodi and the his gang have the geographical advantage. Oda should have made it that the SH struggle not because they did not get much stronger, but because they are at geographical disadvantage.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the War arc and the Straw Hats separation chapters. The Straw Hats (Luffy) struggled for almost 2 years worth of stories. Even with the ES pills and water advantage against the DF users, Luffy and friends struggling any more than they did against Hodi and co (who are weaker than Jinbei and look up to Arlong) would be a step backwards. The Straw Hats will have plenty of time to struggle against the Super Novas, Blackbeard, the Admirals, Vegapunk, Emperors, etc...

I do agree Oda hyped up Hodi and co too much (should have made Decken the main villain).

Kreed said:
Naruto:

You're misinterpreting me only because you're thinking about how Naruto being stronger would have affected the current story after the fact. I'm not concerned with how the story is going right now (particularly since I'm not reading it), I'm talking about how "most" readers felt during that stage of the story.

Naruto not learning any significant new techniques from Jiriaya was a disappointment for most of the fan base. And the fan base was disappointed because battle/shounen manga readers have come to expect time skips = significant increases in strength.

Yet for some reason it worked out for The Sauce.

trollface.jpg

Kreed

Naruto:

Infinite Justice said:
Yet for some reason it worked out for The Sauce.

trollface.jpg

Sasuke and his progress after two years definitely didn't help lower the Naruto expectations either.

MrSerrels

I will never understand complaints about Sasuke's upgrades. That's the whole crux of the story -- progress comes easily to him, while Naruto has to work for it. It's a Shonen trope and has been since forever. It's how the story is supposed to work.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MrSerrels said:
That's the whole crux of the story -- progress comes easily to him, while Naruto has to work for it. It's a Shonen trope and has been since forever.
lol.

Lee says fuck you.

Kreed said:
Naruto:

Sasuke and his progress after two years definitely didn't help lower the Naruto expectations either.

Indeed.

I think there were a lot of salty Naruto fans at that point since the Sauce was pulling all sorts of crazy shit (especially when it became "Sasuke's Adventure" for a while).

upandaway

Hayate (end of that arc) (<- spoilers in this post, lots of them)

I'm pissed off. How the hell does "he can't become my butler" equal to "I can't see him again" or "I can't love him anymore"? What does that have to do with anything. Sheesh. Just suck it up and join the harem like everyone else.

I wanted her in the regulars, too. This is kind of annoying.

upandaway said:
Hayate (end of that arc) (<- spoilers in this post, lots of them)

I'm pissed off. How the hell does "he can't become my butler" equal to "I can't see him again" or "I can't love him anymore"? What does that have to do with anything. Sheesh. Just suck it up and join the harem like everyone else.

I wanted her in the regulars, too. This is kind of annoying.

I think it ended pretty well. It's a bittersweet ending to their history of unresolved emotions. She is the best choice though, so it kinda sucks.

789shadow

Banned
So, Fishman Island is almost over. Final bet time: does Jimbe join the crew permenantly or not.

I say yes. He had his own VS panel, and he got his own finisher spread. Plus, this fight demonstrates that he can take on Sanjuan Wolf.

upandaway

watervengeance said:
I think it ended pretty well. It's a bittersweet ending to their history of unresolved emotions. She is the best choice though, so it kinda sucks.
I love the arc and somewhat the ending but I just need a better reason than that. It's like she did it arbitrarily to make it bittersweet.

Anyway Hinagiku with donkey ears somehow made me forget all the bad things.

Arol

Trevelyon said:
That's a really great call back, shame I don't recall that line at all. (wonder how Viz translated that, I need to check that)

From my volume it says, "You're a little frog, croaking in your puddle. Time you learned how big the world is".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kreed said:
Naruto:You're misinterpreting me only because you're thinking about how Naruto being stronger would have affected the current story after the fact. I'm not concerned with how the story is going right now (particularly since I'm not reading it), I'm talking about how "most" readers felt during that stage of the story.

Naruto not learning any significant new techniques from Jiriaya was a disappointment for most of the fan base. And the fan base was disappointed because battle/shounen manga readers have come to expect time skips = significant increases in strength. If you want to argue that this was for the greater good story wise or that you're happy with the results of the 2+ more training sessions that's fine but that's not why I was referencing Naruto.

Also I wasn't suggesting Naruto having the ability to overpower his foes, vs Kishimoto cutting out one of the training sessions (the Wind Training session if we are focusing on the story as is) and having Naruto have learned those skills during the time skip.
Speak for yourself; I don't think "most" readers felt Naruto should overpower everyone because most readers are capable of discerning that the plot would have been ruined by that. The fact is that it was implausible that Naruto would have the basic fighting skills to be competitive with Akatsuki members regardless of his particular skills. Naruto already has more techniques than 90% of the characters we've seen and at the point at which he gets good at everything he's just a savant protaganist (which is already a complaint we're getting all the time now since he has Sage mode, Fox mode, rasenshuriken, etc.).

Your argument only really makes sense if you think the only way he's competitive with anyone else or improves is named chakra-based techniques, i.e. throwing fireballs. It's pretty safe to assume his generalized fighting skills weren't high enough to fight Akasuki members pre-Jiriaya training.

Compare the fact that none of the other people in his age group have any elemental attacks even to this day other than Sasuke (who is by design overpowered). I mean, he knows Jiriaya's most powerful technique NOW, but it was pretty implausible that Jiriaya would have been able to teach it to him.

Trevelyon said:
That's a really great call back, shame I don't recall that line at all. (wonder how Viz translated that, I need to check that)
Before you give Oda the God-a "oh my god he referenced something" treatment, I would temper your enthusiasm by realizing that the Frog in a Well is a known Chinese proverb and it's pretty unlikely Oda meant that as an Easter egg as opposed to an explicit proverbial reference.

Angry Grimace said:
Before you give Oda the God-a "oh my god he referenced something" treatment, I would temper your enthusiasm by realizing that the Frog in a Well is a known Chinese proverb and it's pretty unlikely Oda meant that as an Easter egg as opposed to an explicit proverbial reference.
True, but I don't think it's that far fetched to think that he's also referencing that Mihawk used the same expression in the same situation, especially since there have already been a couple of East Blue callbacks involving post-timeskip Zoro to show how he's grown.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
EmCeeGramr said:
True, but I don't think it's that far fetched to think that he's also referencing that Mihawk used the same expression in the same situation, especially since there have already been a couple of East Blue callbacks involving post-timeskip Zoro to show how he's grown.
I'm simply saying it's thematic as opposed to an explicit plot callback.

I no naka no kawazu, taikai o shirazu (&#20117;&#12398;&#20013;&#12398;&#34521;&#12289;&#22823;&#28023;&#12434;&#30693;&#12425;&#12378;) is a fairly common Japanese idiomatic expression meaning "a frog in a well cannot conceive of the ocean". My understanding is that "frog in a well" would be a fairly well understood reference in conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom