• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Beam said:
Naruto & one piece

That´s one of my pet peeve of one piece. The crew is never shown to train (except for Zorro lifting some weight) yet they pull moves out of their ass. I don´t need to see them train, but i would like to see how they came up with the idea to get the move or any kind of explanation really.

Their moves are usually explained either direct (Gear 2nd) or sublimably being built up in the background (like when Ussop built Nami's Clima tact, the islands all the crew got blown on etc), just take the latest chapter for example, and how Sanji's Super Saiyan was explained in a nice short sweet and hilarious way, same with the air walk.

Mirror it onto Sasuske who literally pulled a hawk out of his ass. (I'm not letting this one go damnit. >_< )

All true, but a lot of these kind of training was because Naruto learned how to control the fox´chakra. He learned Rasenshuriken because he had so many clones. He had so many clones because he used his fox chakra. Without using the fox chakra which, Jiraiya taught him, he would not have mastered it so fast. Same with his sage training. He needed to learn how to use natural chakra. If Jiraiya did not teach him how to control his chakra, Naruto would not have learned how to use sage mode. The Jiraiya trainig came in very useful when Naruto was trying to learn Kyuubi mode. So while you say he did not learn much, i would say, teaching Naruto the basics, allowed Naruto to learn all these S class techniques.

That's all well and good, but Naruto's progress was doing well until the timeskip, if we use Sasuske as the barometer, the timeskip gimped Naruto.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Luscious LeftFoot said:
9 main characters is too many?
Is...

Is that not very many for you?

9 characters, in a medium that is restricted to ministories of 17-20 pages for each chapter. That averages to two pages per character if they are all on-screen at one time, or 9 weeks for a single mini story for each character. This is not even taking into account time spent on side characters.

Most complete novel series have less than 9 main characters. While a visual medium allows you to convey more information per page, character development can only progress so far using pictures. Oda is only able to manage so many characters because he crams as much content as possible in every panel, yet the story is still at least half a decade away from finishing. And not for lack of progress, like with GRRM. For the last decade and a few years, One Piece has been steadily released week by week (barring holidays or breaks). It's not like Oda is spending years at a time editing and rewriting One Piece chapters.

FlyingTeacup said:
i'm not suggesting to kill off some characters for no apparent reason. ace got killed off in a big way, no? the white beard arc is so much better partly because of the character development and that arc is luffy-centric. I thought oda might killed one or two off during sabaody arc.

Ace or WB were not part of the SH so that don't really matter .
The crew has gotten this big because most of them play a role on the Ship\Story and because Luffy wants 10 crew members .

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
gundamkyoukai said:
and because Luffy wants 10 crew members .
Does he have a definite reason for wanting 10 crew members?

Because if not then, "10 crew memebers" is a wholly arbitrary decision made by Oda, and not anything born out of narrative necessity.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ignis banned again? He must have gone anti-Canada again.

Wiseblade

FlyingTeacup said:
i'm not suggesting to kill off some characters for no apparent reason. ace got killed off in a big way, no? the white beard arc is so much better partly because of the character development and that arc is luffy-centric. I thought oda might killed one or two off during sabaody arc.

yeah once to a supporting character very central to luffy.

this is not just about the latest chapter. some of these characters are "just there". too many yamcha.

Seriously? Just stop reading One Piece. It isn't for you.

upandaway

Halycon said:

Because if not then, "10 crew memebers" is a wholly arbitrary decision made by Oda, and not anything born out of narrative necessity.
It seems like a pretty good number.

I'm fine with the 9. At least in Thriller the big number was not felt at all (because they were split very often and had entire chapters only focused on one group).

Fishman Island had most of the crew together most of the time (plus we had that big flashback and tons of history/setting scenes), so it was a bit more hectic. But I think in the normal formula OP can handle 10 fine.

Angry Grimace said:
Ignis banned again? He must have gone anti-Canada again.
We'll know once the we get post history I guess

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
upandaway said:
We'll know once the we get post history I guess
That's pretty much the only thing I use post history for. The only regular poster in this thread I remember getting permed was Himuro and we all know that story.

Halycon said:

Oda made Luffy said he wanted 10 crew members unless i remember wrong .
I don't know if he was being arbitrary or if that is number he has a plan for when it comes to the story.
Which is why i gave 2 reason why the crew has gotten so big .

Halycon said:

For a king of the pirates, only 10 crew members seems awfully small and 10 would call for needing a revamped ship.

FlyingTeacup said:

Why would anyone even do that?

I try to be careful with my posts on GAF so I don't accidentally say something bannable,
but stuff like this makes me feel like people who get banned kinda deserve it, lol.

What was that? Seriously.

upandaway said:
We're not supposed to talk about that anymore :(

Oh really?

Just curious, what are the typical release dates for HxH, Bakuman and Fairy Tail?

survivor

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
Oda made Luffy said he wanted 10 crew members unless i remember wrong .
I don't know if he was being arbitrary or if that is number he has a plan for when it comes to the story.
Which is why i gave 2 reason why the crew has gotten so big .
Yeah in the first chapter Luffy says he hopes to find at least 10 friends.

TommyT

Neoriceisgood said:
Just curious, what are the typical release dates for HxH, Bakuman and Fairy Tail?

HxH can come late in the day of the big 3 (weds), or out the day after (thurs) at the latest. However I will say it's been friday before but that's very rare. Fairy Tail is on saturday usually. Don't know about Bakuman. Days are based off US days when they are released/translated.

Dedication Through Light said:
For a king of the pirates, only 10 crew members seems awfully small and 10 would call for needing a revamped ship.

That why each SH is special compare to most people plus he getting more allies as time goes on .

TommyT said:
HxH can come late in the day of the big 3 (weds), or out the day after (thurs) at the latest. However I will say it's been friday before but that's very rare. Fairy Tail is on saturday usually. Don't know about Bakuman. Days are based off US days when they are released/translated.

Okay, thanks bro!

Can't wait for HxH, it's been my favourite ever since I started reading it!

Azure J

Sounds like I need to catch up with One Piece again. Meanwhile, what's up with Medaka Box & Goodnight Punpun? The former has spoilers out for Chapter 123, but 122 isn't out still and in regards to the latter, what's the release schedule looking like? Right now, it's like the only manga I want to get more of and ASAP.

Kreed said:
Naruto and One Piece:

Most people were EXPECTING Naruto to have become a bad ass after the time skip (the chakra control is just knowledge after the fact). He was training with Jiraiya and everyone thought he would have at least learned a couple of new techniques. But other than dominating Kakashi in a quick training session and a uncontrollable Demon Fox form he didn't learn anything significant and very soon we had ANOTHER training session for Naruto which annoyed a lot of people (and another one a couple of arcs later).

Yea this sucked big time after we learnt he didn't do shit.

To make it worse the Sauce was pulling all sort of crazy shit at the same point.

Wiseblade

Beam said:
If some people who can´t accept other people´s opinion can be called retards than there is nothing wrong with that.
If Someon posted:

Bleach

That chapter was boring. Kubo should kill off Rukia, that would make things better.

Then it'd be perfectly fine to call that person an idiot.

Beam said:
If some people who can´t accept other people´s opinion can be called a retard than there is nothing wrong with that.

If he accept and thinks the opinion is retarded , stupid etc etc what is the problem ?
You can call someone opinion many things don't mean you feel the same way about the person .

Lain

Farmland Saga volume 10

They keep farming, have their farming ruined by idiots, Thorfin makes a big choice (never resort to violence again)... and they go back to farming.
Well, the farming wasn't all that boring at least and maybe, just maybe, there will be some real character development for Thorfin and he'll become a bearable character.

Wiseblade said:
If Someon posted:

Then it'd be perfectly fine to call that person an idiot.
I don´t mind people having opinions on chapter. It´s when they try to make shit up is when i call them up on it. If people, like gumbo for instance did not like a chapter, it´s fine, it´s his opinion, but when people say that Bleach has no theme, then i will call them up on that. Maybe killing Rukia will make things better.
gundamkyoukai said:
If he accept and thinks the opinion is retarded , stupid etc etc what is the problem ?
You call someone opinion many things don't mean you feel the same way about the person .
No. It´s always some one piece fans who don´t seem to accept any critical opinion of their beloved manga. Always. I don´t agree with the guy who said that some of the SH crew should have died, especially against fodder, but to call him retard because he has a different opinion on the chapter, is extremely close minded, disrespectful and childish.

Angry Grimace

Beam said:
WTF is this stupid shit?
Spam of the term "retard" is probably high on the list of things that will either label one as a dumbshit or become bannable when done in excess soon enough.

Kreed

Naruto and One Piece:

Beam said:
I disagree.Chakra control is one of the most basic and important things in the Naruto universe. Naruto learned Odama resangan and how to dispell a genjutsu besides chakra control, which requires a lot of effort especially when he has the fox inside of him.

In comparison to the things Naruto learned after the 2 year skip in a couple of days/weeks, it's insignificant. Naruto shouldn't have needed 2 (I think it's three now) additional training sessions after being taught by Jiraiya for 2 whole years.

But regardless of the "story" reasons, most readers were expecting Naruto to be stronger/not to be struggling so soon. And that goes hand in hand with most time skips since the days of Dragon Ball (ex: Fairy Tail and the disappointment some people had over the 7 year skip in this very thread). The One Piece gang getting owned/struggling against the New Fishman pirates would have pissed off most of Oda's fan base, especially if Luffy and co had to learn more moves afterwards.

Anth0ny

I think we needed a chapter like that. On the whole, this arc has been slow paced and boring.

This chapter was fast and awesome. Arc will be over soon, NEW WORLD HURRAH

Kreed said:
Naruto and One Piece:

In comparison to the things Naruto learned after the 2 year skip in a couple of days/weeks, it's insignificant. Naruto shouldn't have needed 2 (I think it's three now) additional training sessions after being taught by Jiraiya for 2 whole years.

I agree with this.

If anything that 2 years could have been used to brush up ALL of the basic skills (cancel genjustu, body flicker, chakra control, being told of elemental justu, etc).

But instead he seemed as clueless after the 2 years (why did he learn genjustu canceling during Itachi, why did he learn elemental stuff from Kakashi and co.).

Naruto & one piece

Kreed said:
Naruto and One Piece:

As far as i am concerned you need chakra control to learn anything. Naruto´s seal on the fox chakra was weakening, since the more time goes the weaker it becomes. That means that Naruto without the teaching of Jiraiya, he will end up messing with his techniques. Do you remember when Jiraiya taught Naruto the summoning jutsu? Orochimaru has manipulated the seal, so Naruto could not control it. It will be the same after the seal weakens. So Naruto had to learn chakra control and partial control over the fox´s chakra in order to proceed forward. Actually i like Naruto training arcs a lot. Especially since Kishimoto goes in depth into what it takes to learn certain technique. It might not be everyone´s cup of tea. But i love it. It shows that Naruto works hard to get where he is, and not just rely on his vast amount of chakra and the fox to save him again and again.
But regardless of the "story" reasons, most readers were expecting Naruto to be stronger/not to be struggling so soon. And that goes hand in hand with most time skips since the days of Dragon Ball (ex: Fairy Tail and the disappointment some people had over the 7 year skip in this very thread). The One Piece gang getting owned/struggling against the New Fishman pirates would have pissed off most of Oda's fan base, especially if Luffy and co had to learn more moves afterwards.
I don´t want Luffy and the other to be owned or lose. I just want them to struggle a little especially after the all the hype that Hodi and the others had. Why did they take all these pills if they are going to lose so easily? Hodi and the his gang have the geographical advantage. Oda should have made it that the SH struggle not because they did not get much stronger, but because they are at geographical disadvantage.

Infinite Justice said:
I agree with this.

If anything that 2 years could have been used to brush up ALL of the basic skills (cancel genjustu, body flicker, chakra control, being told of elemental justu, etc).

But instead he seemed as clueless after the 2 years (why did he learn genjustu canceling during Itachi, why did he learn elemental stuff from Kakashi and co.).
He did learn those 2.

Angry Grimace

Kreed said:
Naruto and One Piece:

With regards to Naruto, it would have ruined the story if he could just overpower all of the enemies at that stage. Saying you want something to happen regardless of whether it makes for good storytelling is not a particularly compelling argument.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, however.

Beam said:
Naruto & one piece

As far as i am concerned you need chakra control to learn anything. Naruto´s seal on the fox chakra was weakening, since the more time goes the weaker it becomes. That means that Naruto without the teaching of Jiraiya, he will end up messing with his techniques. Do you remember when Jiraiya taught Naruto the summoning jutsu? Orochimaru has manipulated the seal, so Naruto could not control it. It will be the same after the seal weakens. So Naruto had to learn chakra control and partial control over the fox´s chakra in order to proceed forward. Actually i like Naruto training arcs a lot. Especially since Kishimoto goes in depth into what it takes to learn certain technique. It might not be everyone´s cup of tea. But i love it. It shows that Naruto works hard to get where he is, and not just rely on his vast amount of chakra and the fox to save him again and again.
I don´t want Luffy and the other to be owned or lose. I just want them to struggle a little especially after the all the hype that Hodi and the others had. Why did they take all these pills if they are going to lose so easily? Hodi and the his gang have the geographical advantage. Oda should have made it that the SH struggle not because they did not get much stronger, but because they are at geographical disadvantage.

He did learn those 2.

Yea he learnt it a bit but i'm saying he should have had all of them covered down tighter than a silo for nuclear blast protection..

Tbh once hody took pills that basically killed whatever hype he had going for him (the only sliver of hope he had was when he ODed and looked like he could possibly take them). And regardless if its geographical or not its still a disadvantage which people would bitch about.

As others said the time skip/training came at a wrong time and also before a place that got major hype as time passed.

gunbo13

Forever said:
Manga threads all end up the same no matter where you go.
AzureJericho said:
This is the saddest truth in all of this.
You can't judge the thread based on what you see on certain Wed-Thurs.

This is just a bad week... Last week was cool from what I remember.

scy

@One Piece - To be honest, them struggling would have felt like a bit of a letdown after the timeskip. It's basically standard fare to talk things up and then demolish it quickly just as a means of demonstrating badassery. We can then back to the status quo afterwards.

Though, I think too much time was spent on essentially a showing off arc so hopefully it ends up with something to make the length of it worth it.

Beam said:
Naruto & one piece

Expect they did not have the geographical advantage most of the fights took place on land .
It only because Hody was under water that he was able to hurt luffy in the first place.
The fan base has watch the SH or you can say Luffy struggle for past 200 chapters .
For him to struggle after 2 years of training with one of the strongest people in the OP world would piss off the fan base.

People hype up there self too much for FI .
Fishmen are nothing compare to people Luffy fought before and most of them are trash .
They need WB to protect them.

gunbo13

Bleach (ch 473)

-The black box blocks the crowd
Not a bad chapter but pretty standard. Byakuya did apparently "sort of" seal the deal with Tsukishima and apparently he fought the memory implanting citing Ichigo. You know, I actually like it better when Byakuya is more combative of Ichigo. I hope he only panders to him when he isn't around being secretly respectful. I don't want to lose the public antics of the two and their disagreements. Rukia just popping back was sort of anti-climatic. Sure, we will get a flashback to what happened but I'm sure Riruka ditched. I didn't want Rukia to be shown unconscious in the arms of Byakuya on the first arc of her newly shown self... Especially when Renji got play...

Then we have some standard fighting with Ginjo. It wasn't terribly exciting and you still get the feeling that Ichigo is holding back a bit like usual. Either that or you just know he has all that underlying potential that can break out at anytime. Basically, Ginjo is not an appropriate opponent for Ichigo even as an appetizer for his come-back. I wouldn't prefer somebody more powerful necessarily...but I just don't like the match-up. It lacks tension.

We end with some mind-fuck attempt on Ichigo. Of course there lies all the normal speculation and I don't even care to guess. It wasn't bad and I'm mildly looking forward toward the next chapter. Truthfully though, I was only really into it for Byakuya's fight.

Ch in 3 (dying, dimensions, questioning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom