• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H X H

Leorio is so fucking awesome. It was about time for him and Krupika to show up. I laughed so hard when Morau told Leorio when you can´t do it i can, and then Leorio does say there is no way he can do it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait.

You HAVE seen picture of Oda's desk right? Most of it is covered by One Piece volumes. He has the entirety of his work on hand whenever he's working on it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Halycon said:
Wait.

You HAVE seen picture of Oda's desk right? Most of it is covered by One Piece volumes. He has the entirety of his work on hand whenever he's working on it.
His incredible memory means he just likes to decorate his desk with pretty things.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Halycon said:
Wait.

It's apparently a superhuman feat to open those books and look at what happened in them since, apparently, nobody else does this.

cosmicblizzard said:
HXH

Best return EVER! So glad to see Leorio back and rising in the ranks.

Hahahah, quite literally at that! Leorio for president!

Also on an additional note, is the first time we've seen Leorio do anything short of having an actual fight?

Angry Grimace said:
It's apparently a superhuman feat to open those books and look at what happened in them since, apparently, nobody else does this.

It's not the fact that it's superhuman that impresses people, it's the fact that he even does it to begin with.

Referencing yourself is easy as cake, I don't think anyone denies that.

Personally instead of comparing it to other writers I'd prefer to compare it to super smash brothers, because I like comparing things in super smash brothers.

Ignoring the fact that it's actually fun to play, one of the core elements that makes the series work is fan service, so we expect a series like Super Smash to provide us with lots and lots of fanservice.
In most cases there's plenty of this, be it in music, characters or even fun little things that happen in the background.

However there's also obscure references that make people go "No way!" which seem more like a nod to the more observant or in-the-know fan.

(don't argue if this'd be a bad idea or not) for example, if somewhere in the single player campain they included a Goomba in a Kuribo Shoe that you could steal, probably a lot of people would get giddy over this, seeing it as the cherry on top of their sorbet as far as fanservice is concerned.
Would it be hard for Nintendo/Sora to just look back at the things they've done in the past to find the sort of fanservice that would hit hardest? Probably not.
Do we expect them to go far beyond the basics in providing this however? Also, probably not.

A lot of times when Oda references things, the "GODA" part of it, to me, seems to come from the fact that his references barely ever pander to the mainstream casual reader, they're almost always so obscure that, when noticed, it'd have to be done by a person who really really knows the series inside out.
I think this is the part that amazes people, the references are often obscure, not in your face, and above all directed largely at the less casual readers.

Is it god-like? Probably not, but there's a difference between having a memory, and essentially providing what I'd call "memorabilia fanservice".

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Angry Grimace said:

Your username suits you well, hahaha.

HUNTER X HUNTER

To see Leorio's sudden rise to prominence like that is really surprising... and awesome. What a twist.

Kusagari

Chances Ging planned the entire thing so Leorio would become the candidate needed to beat Pariston?

Ging's gonna put Aizen to shame.

Angry Grimace said:

What are you even arguing about

This was your first post

Angry Grimace said:
Before you give Oda the God-a "oh my god he referenced something" treatment, I would temper your enthusiasm by realizing that the Frog in a Well is a known Chinese proverb and it's pretty unlikely Oda meant that as an Easter egg as opposed to an explicit proverbial reference.

Then later you said

Angry Grimace said:
I don't think this clarifies your point; in fact, I think it just muddies the waters because you're trying to defend a totally overbroad statement because even in context it's not an impressive bit of recall; Mihawk recited a proverb to Zoro in a chapter approximately 10 years ago and Zoro used that same proverb later on after spending time training around him. It's such a obvious and direct connection that I fail to see how this is even remotely on the same level of say, a Song of Ice and Fire; you're taking the "Oda is a genius" bit way too far and nothing Oda has ever put into One Piece is even comparable in recall or detail to that particular work.

At first it was just a referenced to the proverb now all of a sudden it's such a obvious and direct connection to the situation.
Now all of sudden you guys are talking about some of the best writers in the world ????

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
gundamkyoukai said:
What are you even arguing about

This was your first post

Then later you said

At first it was just a referenced to the proverb now all of a sudden it's such a obvious and direct connection to the situation.
Now all of sudden you guys are talking about some of the best writers in the world ????
It's not the same point and you're selectively quoting from different points in the conversation which are offered to prove two different things. You need to follow the conversation if you want to call people out on them.

Those are not inconsistent statements. The first was offered to show that it wasn't purely an obscure plot reference that Oda set up designed to only make sense to people who read Vol. 5 and the second is merely saying it's not that clever anyways because Mihawk is still alive and a relevant character and all he did was use the same commonly used pronoun. It's not like he made an obscure reference to Romance Dawn or something.

Kreed

Hunter X Hunter 325:

Holy shit! Welcome back Leorio! *slow claps* I think mysticwhip will be happy with this chapter.

Naruto:

Angry Grimace said:
Speak for yourself; I don't think "most" readers felt Naruto should overpower everyone because most readers are capable of discerning that the plot would have been ruined by that. The fact is that it was implausible that Naruto would have the basic fighting skills to be competitive with Akatsuki members regardless of his particular skills. Naruto already has more techniques than 90% of the characters we've seen and at the point at which he gets good at everything he's just a savant protaganist (which is already a complaint we're getting all the time now since he has Sage mode, Fox mode, rasenshuriken, etc.).

Your argument only really makes sense if you think the only way he's competitive with anyone else or improves is named chakra-based techniques, i.e. throwing fireballs. It's pretty safe to assume his generalized fighting skills weren't high enough to fight Akasuki members pre-Jiriaya training.

Compare the fact that none of the other people in his age group have any elemental attacks even to this day other than Sasuke (who is by design overpowered). I mean, he knows Jiriaya's most powerful technique NOW, but it was pretty implausible that Jiriaya would have been able to teach it to him.

First, I specifically said in the very last sentence you quoted that I wasn't trying to say Naruto should over power everyone. And you're still referencing the story as it is now. I'm talking about how "most readers" felt when they realized Naruto hadn't learned any major new techniques after the time skip. The way people felt at that time of the story has nothing to do with how the story is going right now and the current story isn't relevant to my One Piece time skip comparison.

And you're right, my argument is focused on named chakra based techniques. That was the main complaint readers had about Naruto after the time skip and that has been the main improvement Naruto has gained from his training sessions after the time skip.

Angry Grimace

Kreed said:
Hunter X Hunter 325:

Holy shit! Welcome back Leorio! *slow claps* I think mysticwhip will be happy with this chapter.

Naruto:

First, I specifically said in the very last sentence you quoted that I wasn't trying to say Naruto should over power everyone. And you're still referencing the story as it is now. I'm talking about how "most readers" felt when they realized Naruto hadn't learned any major new techniques after the time skip. The way people felt at that time of the story has nothing to do with how the story is going right now and the current story isn't relevant to my One Piece time skip comparison.

And you're right, my argument is focused on named chakra based techniques. That was the main complaint readers had about Naruto after the time skip and that has been the main improvement Naruto has gained from his training sessions after the time skip.
I suppose I just don't understand what he would have really learned. From my point of view it was implausible he would even have the taijutsu ability to fight anyone in Akatsuki and in the end he'd have to be of the same level strength anyways since he didn't even win a fight against anyone until Kakuzu when he got rasenshuriken. I'm not sure what the elemental release timeframe normally is in that series given that nobody else seems to have any elements other than Sasuke, and I'm assuming his development of them was probably prior to Kishimoto deciding it would be hard to do.

I also think that learning new super moves when you don't see them is totally overrated anyways; it was a lot more interesting having Naruto develop Rasenshuriken over time and try to overcome the logistical and physical problems with it rather than just randomly having a new attack (which he'd be expected to be able to perform again). It reminds kind of the current Negima arc. It's off-putting when stuff happens and you don't know about it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Kreed said:
Hunter X Hunter 325:

HxH:

Rules, but if this rule does y then the rule needs to cover X and if Z happens, then permafrost is the best place to raise deer, but if you want to raise deer on permafrost, then we can't do that because we suspect you're undermining your position to get what you really want which is cows raising dogs to be proper gentlemen plumbers...

Finally someone punched someone in the damn face.

Hunter x Hunter

What a fantastic return from leorio hahahah...seems like there are a lot of people that dislike Gin, so Leorio got a lot of support for that one punch...maybe he should give one to Paristan as well and eat up his support

Angry Grimace said:
It's not the same point and you're selectively quoting from different points in the conversation which are offered to prove two different things. You need to follow the conversation if you want to call people out on them.

Those are not inconsistent statements. The first was offered to show that it wasn't purely an obscure plot reference that Oda set up designed to only make sense to people who read Vol. 5 and the second is merely saying it's not that clever anyways because Mihawk is still alive and a relevant character and all he did was use the same commonly used pronoun. It's not like he made an obscure reference to Romance Dawn or something.

Nobody ever said it was a obscure plot reference, it was just something done for the fans who remember Zoro was in the same situation and now the roles are reverse and he saying the same line Mihawk did .
Oda does fan service and throw backs all the time just a few chapter ago he drew Octopako in the background which i am sure most people don't remember who she is .

What i don't like is you saying people should temper there enthusiasm reminds me to much of threads in the gaming section .

Hunter x Hunter

This is so good. Togashi shames everyone else at Jump.

and the main character hasn't even made an appearance yet.

it's like, if this was Naruto or Bleach, the thought would be "how long until Naruto recovers?" because you know it's going to happen. With HxH, it's still out there to kill or seriously sideline Gon, but there's still a lot of tension. There are "if"s instead of "when"s.

Linkzg said:
Hunter x Hunter

it's like, if this was Naruto or Bleach, the thought would be "how long until Naruto recovers?" because you know it's going to happen. With HxH, it's still out there to kill or seriously sideline Gon, but there's still a lot of tension. There are "if"s instead of "when"s.

This chapter was awesome but i sure no one thinks that Gon is going to get kill.
Truth is i would like him to get sideline for a bit so we can see what up with all the other chars .
This is the perfect time to bring everyone back together .

Lain

Rinne volume 3

The new guy, Tsubasa, started off as an annoying, hasty dude, but one volume was enough to make him become better than what he started as.
In a way, Rinne is relaxing to read, because with so little background work in many panels, the characters stand out more and the pages go by easily.

Mael

gundamkyoukai said:
I wonder if he even cares that much he seems like such a asshole so far .
At this point, he must know since he knows about Gon anyway.
With what's happening to Gon, I think since he doesn't care about Gon he doesn't even give 2 shits about Kaito.

And man Leolio is awesome!
I think it's really the 1rst time he ever did anything AT ALL.

Linkzg said:
Hunter x Hunter

There is some tension, but it is obvious as day that Gon will recover....and suppose he can drag it out by shifting focus to Kurapica, but it seems highly doubtful, since Alluka is a way from him to speed things up.

Yeah, HxH has definitely got back to form after the bloat of the Chimera Ant arc..infact, this is the best its been sinc York Shin...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mael said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who liked the ant arc...

What? Hell no. I love it.

However, sometimes I do feel like I'm the only one who liked the completion of the ant arc... you know with the King playing chess and such.

upandaway

Laughing Banana said:

However, sometimes I do feel like I'm the only one who liked the completion of the ant arc... you know with the King playing chess and such.
The end of the ant arc was awesome.

Hayate

Y'know, for how much I loved it when (boy that's a massive spoiler if there ever was one)
Nagi broke the stone, I was still kind of relieved when the priest said she's blessed with money. I wouldn't be against her gaining a new fortune.

Mael

upandaway said:
The ant arc was awesome.

Laughing Banana said:

IDK about that either, I actually rather like how it all handled together.
The RG were awesome and interesting (yupi's growth was incredible and unexpected, pufu was being pufu but I feel like pitou was kinda short changed).
The King stays tall as the best villain I've seen in a manga for quite a while.
The ants themselves were surprising and interesting.
I feel like the Ant arc is the one arc where nen finally got to its full potential.
The ending was as it should have been.
It would have made no sense to have the ending be any different.

Lain

Shi Ki volume 4

Dr. Ozaki tried really hard, but in the end he was beaten by those monsters. I wonder if Tatsumi talked to Ozaki's wife.
On the other hand, Yuki showed to be more of a moron than I gave him credit for, but looking at his family, I'm not surprised. Why the hell would you invite into the house a little shit that throws insults at you, has a freakish doll on her hand (with pointy, monster teeth) and said doll gets hurled at you when you tell her to go home and come back another day?
So it's only natural that Yuki decided to do the most stupid thing and ends up getting bitten.

Kreed

Hunter X Hunter 325:

Mael said:
At this point, he must know since he knows about Gon anyway.
With what's happening to Gon, I think since he doesn't care about Gon he doesn't even give 2 shits about Kaito.

It's probably because we're dealing with a shounen story, but I don't see Ging's behavior as not caring about Gon. Ging wants Gon to find him with his own power like he told him to do when the journey first started and him going to see Gon now would ruin Gon's journey.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who liked the ant arc...

Most of the negativity from the ant arc came from the hiatuses. When read in full/without any interruptions the arc was good IMO except for that one ridiculous chapter where the King was brought back from being burnt to a crisp and the ending that I felt was rushed because of the hiatuses.

watervengeance said:
I think it ended pretty well. It's a bittersweet ending to their history of unresolved emotions. She is the best choice though, so it kinda sucks.

Nah, the end to this arc sucked. XD

I want it to go back to being about Hayate and Athena again. They make the most sense and hell, it's the only pairing Hayate himself endorses the most. The rest of the harem should technically have no chance in hell, but it's a harem so lol.

Clegg

H x H
Does anyone else think Ging let Leorio hit him.

Ging is one of the most powerful nen users in the world, this could be a new part of his plan to combat Pariston.

Also where do we think Kurapica might be? He's been mentioned so Togashi obviously has something in mind.

NomarTyme

HXH, hilariously bad ass.

Clegg said:
H x H
Does anyone else think Ging let Leorio hit him.

Ging is one of the most powerful nen users in the world, this could be a new part of his plan to combat Pariston.

Also where do we think Kurapica might be? He's been mentioned so Togashi obviously has something in mind.
Yeah, I think Ging let Leo hit him.

gunbo13

Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to pick it up over the next few weeks starting from the end of season 2 narrative.

And what I meant about advancement doesn't necessarily mean actual romance. It's more like character advancement such as people learning more about the other person, setups for near-confessions, etc... Even if it is drawn out, character progression is more important to me. If it is just 100 chapters of "I can't say it" or just tons of mutual confusions, it gets tiring.

Hinagiku's revelation about
Hayate on her birthday in season 2, not sure the manga chapter, would be an example of character progression. They didn't start dating and Hayate wasn't much wiser, yet the progression is enjoyable.

scy

gunbo13 said:
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to pick it up over the next few weeks starting from the end of season 2 narrative.

And what I meant about advancement doesn't necessarily mean actual romance. It's more like character advancement such as people learning more about the other person, setups for near-confessions, etc... Even if it is drawn out, character progression is more important to me. If it is just 100 chapters of "I can't say it" or just tons of mutual confusions, it gets tiring.

Hinagiku's revelation about
Hayate on her birthday in season 2, not sure the manga chapter, would be an example of character progression. They didn't start dating and Hayate wasn't much wiser, yet the progression is enjoyable.

In this case, yes, that'll happen quite a bit.

InfiniDragon said:
Nah, the end to this arc sucked. XD

I want it to go back to being about Hayate and Athena again. They make the most sense and hell, it's the only pairing Hayate himself endorses the most. The rest of the harem should technically have no chance in hell, but it's a harem so lol.

From what i remember i could be wrong the Athena arc had the worst ratings\word of mouth in Japan.
I was reading about it when i was check up on the manga a year or two ago .
It was also suppose to be most serious arc in the manga and it was not as funny anymore.

Still waiting on the movie and season 3 before i start to read the manga.

ryan13ts

Hunter X Hunter: Damn, I'm so glad to see Leorio back and his awesome "knock the shit of of Ging" punch. I was worried that Leorio would never develop a significant nen ability but I guess I have nothing to worry about. Wonder how the specifics of it work? Seems kinda like Novu's ability but able to transport body parts as a method of attacking. Damn cool if you ask me.

Clegg

ryan13ts said:
Hunter X Hunter: Damn, I'm so glad to see Leorio back and his awesome "knock the shit of of Ging" punch. I was worried that Leorio would never develop a significant nen ability but I guess I have nothing to worry about. Wonder how the specifics of it work? Seems kinda like Novu's ability but able to transport body parts as a method of attacking. Damn cool if you ask me.
I still think Ging let Leorio punch him.

Ging has a plan I think.

upandaway

ryan13ts said:
It doesn't even look like that much of an ability, just a basic usage of hatsu like Gon's. It looks like a pretty advanced technique but not a crafted ability (especially when you look at other Emission users who do crazy shit with it).

GG-Duo

upandaway said:
It doesn't even look like that much of an ability, just a basic usage of hatsu like Gon's. It looks like a pretty advanced technique but not a crafted ability (especially when you look at other Emission users who do crazy shit with it).

I'd like to see how it relates to Leorio's aspirations to be a doctor.

ArjanN

GG-Duo said:
I'd like to see how it relates to Leorio's aspirations to be a doctor.

I guess it could repair bodies from the inside or something, it's HxH so there's bound to be more to it than just punching people from a distance.

Oh, and it did kind of seem like Gin allowed himself to be hit.

nelsonroyale said:
There is some tension, but it is obvious as day that Gon will recover....and suppose he can drag it out by shifting focus to Kurapica, but it seems highly doubtful, since Alluka is a way from him to speed things up.

Yeah, HxH has definitely got back to form after the bloat of the Chimera Ant arc..infact, this is the best its been sinc York Shin...

yes, but even with Alluka, you have Illumi and Hisoka who'll get involved. Ignoring that, Alluka using his/her power isn't without its risks. Killua is potentially creating a great problem to save gon, especially if Pariston or others learn of Alluka. Who knows if the Genei Ryodan won't go after Alluka; I don't think we know if Chrollo is 'fixed' yet.

plus, for better or worse, Gon's may be healed physically, but who knows if he'll have severe mental trauma. the entire reason he became so badly damaged is because he snapped after learning of Kaito's fate. I mean, Alluka isn't a senzu bean. This is a manga where the main character isn't that important in the world. Gon doesn't have great ambitions of becoming hokage chairman of the hunter association or anything, and the only talk of his potential is from a psychotic pedophile clown.

all I'm saying is that the stakes are far greater than in other manga. I don't think Gon's recovery will be 1:1 with his previous self.

ryan13ts

upandaway said:

I've never seen any basic usage of nen in the series that let anyone teleport their fist into someone's face. Hatsu's are unique to the individual so whatever the technique Leorio used, it's definitely a specialized ability he created.

Hell, after all the time he's been absent in the series, I'd be beyond disappointed if he didn't develop his Hatsu into a unique ability.

Flame of Recca through the swordsman of water arc chp 17

That is Recca's mom, wow! The fight was pretty amazing. I thought Recca would lose but managed to give it his all. I cant wait to see if his skills evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom