• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Well, turns out that bumpkin was partially right about my EB Games pre-order. I just got a call about 2 hours ago from them saying that they were just told by head office that they're not allowed to take pre-orders on any characters. They were nice about it and apologized, saying that I could get a refund or put it toward something else. However, the guy who called also said that my Empire of Ice adventure pack pre-order is still good. It's apparently just the characters that they're not allowed to take pre-orders for.

Even better, he said that their computers just gave a new shipment date for THIS Friday, January 20th! They will call me when it's in. Hopefully, the new wave 3 characters will be shipped along with the EoI pack. The EB Games employee wasn't able to confirm this though, only saying that they were supposed to get "some" characters, but they weren't able to determine which ones. So I'm hoping that I'll have EoI along with the four new wave 3 characters for the weekend. << steeples fingers evil-ly >>

As a side note, my daughter and I finally got to the final level and I was wondering if anybody else found it to be just a tad challenging to get through without going through your entire collection of figures?

Zing

Banned
I stopped by my local EB and they had a few figures, but they were old ones. The guy claimed there were new ones in the shipment, but he also thought that Bash was one of the new ones, so I suspect he is mistaken. He said there were no adventure packs or three-packs.

I checked out the Futureshop nearby and they had a few old figures as well when they had none last week. So it looks like stores are getting more.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with new characters? I assume most of us already completed the game.

I just grind characters down both paths and choose my favorite, no one to pvp with. So each figure pretty much nets me an additional 20-30 minutes of playing the first section of Lair of Kaos.
I purposefully didn't finish the game until recently and had just been running the maps again to get all three stars on the levels (98%, still have to do a couple). New figure runs the map to level up and remind me of how to play through it, then stealth elf + devil hat does the speed run and cleans up. Did I mention I can beat Kaos with just a maxed Stealth Elf? It's good fun ;).

Then there's the hero challenges as you get a new figure. And I've got two young kids so it's endless fun for them.

Stoked to hear Cynder is out!

bumpkin

Well, turns out that bumpkin was partially right about my EB Games pre-order. I just got a call about 2 hours ago from them saying that they were just told by head office that they're not allowed to take pre-orders on any characters. They were nice about it and apologized, saying that I could get a refund or put it toward something else. However, the guy who called also said that my Empire of Ice adventure pack pre-order is still good. It's apparently just the characters that they're not allowed to take pre-orders for.

Even better, he said that their computers just gave a new shipment date for THIS Friday, January 20th! They will call me when it's in. Hopefully, the new wave 3 characters will be shipped along with the EoI pack. The EB Games employee wasn't able to confirm this though, only saying that they were supposed to get "some" characters, but they weren't able to determine which ones. So I'm hoping that I'll have EoI along with the four new wave 3 characters for the weekend. << steeples fingers evil-ly >>

As a side note, my daughter and I finally got to the final level and I was wondering if anybody else found it to be just a tad challenging to get through without going through your entire collection of figures?

Oh no, man. I didn't wanna be right. I haven't been able to find any single figures since getting the game a week or so after Christmas. I hope you have better luck with the next shipment!

I almost made my rounds tonight to hunt for figures, but I exercised restraint. :)

Sora_N

I was happy to see 2 Bash and 1 Stump Smash at EB today, haven't seen any at stores for weeks...but then I found out they were 9.99. Not sure if I'll keep them, I bought them anyways first since I don't have them.

I finally got Skylanders. Bought it for the 3DS. I really want to see how it looks and plays on PS3 now but there's no way I'll buy two starter packs.

Sora_N

IMG_0581s.jpg

My humble collection, me and my gf might eventually have them all...that is we may both have 2 complete sets.

Oh no, man. I didn't wanna be right. I haven't been able to find any single figures since getting the game a week or so after Christmas. I hope you have better luck with the next shipment!

I almost made my rounds tonight to hunt for figures, but I exercised restraint. :)
Yeah, if I don't make the rounds on any given day, I feel like I'm missing out and I can just picture hordes of rabid parents devouring the Skylanders display like a school of piranha. Hopefully, EB Games will come through for me tomorrow.

I think that we're on the verge of seeing stock returning to consistent levels of availability at all the stores. Anyone who is considering ordering off eBay should just wait a bit. It's just a matter of time before the supply meets the demand. I think that Activision simply got caught by surprise at the popularity of these things during Christmas. They're a big enough company that they can correct this problem relatively quickly and it looks like they're on their way to doing just that.

Zing

Banned
I have a feeling the limiting factor in stock levels is the production capacity at the factory in China. That and I'm sure Activision only paid for the slow boats that take 2+ months to arrive.

That's what we all said...

Haha, I really hope not.

If anyone owns both the 3DS and console versions, is the console version much better? I thought the 3DS version would be the same for some reason, but now I've got the impression I grabbed the short end of the stick.

Lan_97

Haha, I really hope not.

If anyone owns both the 3DS and console versions, is the console version much better? I thought the 3DS version would be the same for some reason, but now I've got the impression I grabbed the short end of the stick.

Completely different games. The 3DS version is a platformer while the console version is an action rpg. It's more of a fun companion game to the main console adventure.

Completely different games. The 3DS version is a platformer while the console version is an action rpg. It's more of a fun companion game to the main console adventure.

Yeah, I'm a little upset at my decision to get the portable version. Should have known consoles would have been more up my alley, still enjoying the 3DS version but the characters seem more "alive" in the console game (and therefore more desirable to collect).

Anyone who disliked Skylanders on PS3 want to trade the game for Uncharted 3 or something?

fernoca

Haha, I really hope not.

:p
xyT60.png

sJMg7.png

This versions are more action oriented. Have you in the role of a "Portal Master" defeating enemies and collecting crystals to open up doors and move onto the next area. A few areas of platforming are thrown into the mix, along mini-games to change the pacing a little; and cutscenes to help move the storyline. This versions also offer drop-in/out co-op multiplayer into the main story/campaign, and a (2-players) battle mode that lets players pit against each other figures/characters.
(Check the 'reviews' for more information)

sqKmN.png

This version of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is more of an action platformer (similar to the original Spyro games) than its console counterparts. Players have to complete levels by gathering crystals, which lets them unlock more levels. Each level is littered with crystals, obtained by going towards the end of the level, or by doing a variety of tasks, such as defeating a certain amount of enemies, or finding items. Whenever the player finds a crystal, an enemy awakens and a time limit starts. They have to defeat enemies, and use rockets to ward off the chasing enemy. Unlike other versions, characters can make a jump, and a double jump. This version of the game is set in a different realm in Skylands called the Radiant Isles, and a different force of darkness is faced under the command of the Hektore.
(Check the 'reviews' for more information)

Both are still great games, but are relatively unique to their platform..so yeah, you'll end with both. :p

Silly me, should have read the OP, thanks fernoca!

Edit: Looked through the OP this time, didn't see if the 3DS portal is compatible with the PS3 console? Anyone know if that set up works?

Sora_N

Edit: Looked through the OP this time, didn't see if the 3DS portal is compatible with the PS3 console? Anyone know if that set up works?

It works, I tried it. It also lets you read 2 characters at the same time, it's just smaller in size.

Lan_97

I've read that it works through usb, but I haven't tried myself. The 3DS portal itself is smaller, so it would be a tight squeeze trying to fit multiple figures.

Wow, you guys are really helpful. Much appreciated.

Now to find a decently priced listing on ebay for the PS3 version. I saw one for $30 plus $15 shipping. That's still steep after just getting this version.

I picked up the 360 version a couple of weeks ago. It isn't too pathetic that I have yet to even open the game but I've bought or ordered another 8 characters, is it? :) I'm telling myself that I am not going to be a completionist on this one and I may be able to pull that off. I did order a character from Amazon this morning that will give me at least one from every element. The only thing I have to watch out for is the adventure sets - not so much for the characters but because those do open up more to do in the game.

Double D

I cannot find figures anywhere in the Raleigh/Durham area. My kids are missing a Fire type. *sad*

Since these things are flying off the shelves, the online in-store locator things kind of suck. That being said, Gamestop's is the "best". I put that in quotes because it's still not optimal. Anyways, if you go to gamestop's website and search for Skylanders, they have the "order a random three pack" option. Select that and it will let you use the store locator thing. Now, keep in mind that this is only telling you that a gamestop has a random 3 pack in stock, but at least it gives you an idea of which stores to call. Gamestop has also been really good about holding them for me until I get off of work.

bumpkin

Well that was a buzz-kill... I got the idea of going to check out Best Buy on my lunch break for figures, but remembered that they have an in-store pick-up option on their website. So I load up bestbuy.com, search for the figures, check store availability and BAM, "available". No less than a half hour later I arrive at their store, and I don't see any figures anywhere; just empty pegs with price tags.

I left the store figure-less (didn't have time to wait for an employee to investigate) and annoyed. Later on last night I decided to check the site again for shits 'n giggles, and it still said that they have them in-stock. This wouldn't seem as suspect to me except that another store which said they had 'em earlier no longer said that. :(

Blahhhhhh.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well that was a buzz-kill... I got the idea of going to check out Best Buy on my lunch break for figures, but remembered that they have an in-store pick-up option on their website. So I load up bestbuy.com, search for the figures, check store availability and BAM, "available". No less than a half hour later I arrive at their store, and I don't see any figures anywhere; just empty pegs with price tags.

I left the store figure-less (didn't have time to wait for an employee to investigate) and annoyed. Later on last night I decided to check the site again for shits 'n giggles, and it still said that they have them in-stock. This wouldn't seem as suspect to me except that another store which said they had 'em earlier no longer said that. :(

Blahhhhhh.

Well, that probably means they were in the back and you should have waited.

Zing

Banned
Local EB got yet another shipment. They seem to be getting some almost every other day. They only received a single Empire of Ice, though.

I just picked up Bash and Voodood at my local Walmart, they were the last two on the shelf.

Are the considered any good? What wave do they come from. I notice they sell for more than double what I paid on ebay.

Stump Smash and Sonic Boom should be waiting for me at home from Amazon and that will give me at least one from each element. The adventure sets are still going to be a temptation. Amazon had the Pirate Seas one in stock earlier today but I held off. As of a few minutes ago you could still order it but it says they are expecting them in on the 22nd or something like that.

Dagnabbit. Called EB Games about my EoI pre-order, which was expected to come in today, and they said that there was some kind of mix-up with the delivery. Have to wait until Monday or Tuesday. It must be absolute ka-OOOOOOOOSSSSSS at their warehouse...

BJK

So, I have bought in to a starer pack (PS3) via Amazon Warehouse Deal. If I like the game, I'll end up buying one of each type.

Is there a consensus that some characters are better / worse than others? Activision / Blizzard gets enough of my money that I'd rather avoid dropping $8 on the Jar Jar Binks of Skylanders, if there is such a thing.

Sora_N

My coworker called me saying we got Skylanders in today!

I missed out on the Whirlwind pack...we only got one box, so 2 pieces. I can wait.

I managed to pick up some old waves that I missed out on!

Got: 3 pack with Drobot / Flameslinger / Stump Smash, Bash, Voodood!

I snagged Empire of Ice from EB yesterday too. :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Walked into Target on my lunch break today, and they were restocking. Several Cynder, Double Trouble, and others. I picked up a 3-pack with Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf, and Sonic Boom.

Zing

Banned
At this point, I am not going out of my way to get the new singles. If I see them at the store, I will grab them, but otherwise I can just wait until the full set is out. At that point, I am going to pick one from each element, reset it, and play through the game solo with just those eight figures.

The June date rumored for the final release is looking fairly accurate at this rate.

BrettWeir

So my sons birthday is this week, and he keeps saying all he wants is more Skylanders (all he has is the starter pack). Holy hell. Ive looked all over for weeks and it seems no one can get these in stock. Finally saw a set he really wants on Amazon today (Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf, Sonic Boom). $40!!

Whoever thought of this is a damn marketing genius.

Went to target last night to grab a few things, and to my suprise the shelf was full, grabbed the empire of ice pack, and double trouble. Now I just need cynder. My girlfriend was against my skylander addiction, but now she picked out her 4 favorite figures that she claimed as her own. Also maxed out my flameslinger today, he's probaly my favorite at this point.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
New to the boards.

I've been lurking here for a bit. I am a huge fan of this game, as you can see here -

P1010375.jpg

I don't know if it's okay to post multiple images per post, as I am new here, but there are more pics at that link, if you look. You will see pics of the 3 silvers I own, plus the 1 gold from wave 3. I own 3 of every figure. I open 2 of every figure for each upgrade path and leave one sealed to hang on my wall, as you see above.

I thought I would chime in, that ALL stores have seen these come in. People are reporting wave 3 at Toys R Us Springfield, MO. Targets in my area got them in (Oklahoma). Walmarts, Best Buys and Gamestops have seen them as well.

It's safe to say everyone who needs them, should be able to get them shortly.

fernoca

Wow!
Darn nice pic GameMaster78, and welcome. ;)

As far as posting pics/limit, I think that as long as you don't post like dozens in 1920x1080 no biggie. :p

Try at least posting 5 or so and provide a link for the rest and if the pictures are to big, just put them all under a quote/tag and it will automatically be reduced.

Double D

Nice collection, Gamemaster! That's impressive! Just wondering, how are you guys coming across the silvers and golds? Being at the store when they restock?

Log4Girlz

New to the boards.

I've been lurking here for a bit. I am a huge fan of this game, as you can see here -

P1010375.jpg

I don't know if it's okay to post multiple images per post, as I am new here, but there are more pics at that link, if you look. You will see pics of the 3 silvers I own, plus the 1 gold from wave 3. I own 3 of every figure. I open 2 of every figure for each upgrade path and leave one sealed to hang on my wall, as you see above.

I thought I would chime in, that ALL stores have seen these come in. People are reporting wave 3 at Toys R Us Springfield, MO. Targets in my area got them in (Oklahoma). Walmarts, Best Buys and Gamestops have seen them as well.

It's safe to say everyone who needs them, should be able to get them shortly.

Dude your room is awesome...this coming from a 31 year old...I'm envious!

Top Bottom