• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro, US, JP 2011 YTD Hardware and Software Sales

Road

noobie said:
but do Nintendo North America numbers include Canada or not?
When they are labeled US they are only for the US, if they are labeled North America, they are for North America.

NPD Canada still exists.

So the PS3 is definitely catching ground but not by a great deal. If MS drop the price they could probably turn that around as well. It's going to be interesting to see when they make their move (next year most likely).

OldJadedGamer said:
The battle for second place is moot. It only serves as fodder for the console warriors, a PR statement, and a bullet point on a Power Point slide at E3. But to the rest of the gaming world, it means 100% nothing.

Or just a little bit of fun for those of us who enjoy sales age. This point is harped on in every sales age thread as if it's some revelation but the thing is, everyone knows that already. Doesn't mean we can't still enjoy watching the race for second place.

Chris1964 said:
The year isn't over. From 2006 to 2010 NA>EU for PS3 software and hardware.
NA or the US?

European Hardware Sales (2005 - 2010)
Code:
Source: EA,Sony,Nintendo,NPD  (Million)

'06   '07    '08    '09    '10    '11     LTD      

PAL PS3                                                22.0 (Sony,August 2011)

EU  PS3       -    2.8    3.4    4.0    4.6    2.8     17.6 (Week 41 2011)

US  PS3      0.7   2.6    3.5    4.3    4.3    2.4     17.8 (September 2011)

PS3 Launch 

EU --> March 23, 2007

US --> November 17, 2006

----------------------------------------------------------

EU Wii   LTD  26.9 (Week 41 2011)  Launch --> December 8, 2006

EU 360   LTD  15.7 (Week 41 2011)  Launch --> December 2, 2005
Second said:
I wish we could track down sales from the rest of the world. I wonder how hardware is selling in Afrika, Asia and South-America. Those are basically the biggest markets.

And probably the poorest, where piracy is rampant
It's outdated and incomplete,but at least it's something.

Brazil (November 2010)
LTD

PS2 - 5 Million
PS3 - 750K
360 - 300K
Wii - 230K
PSP - 200K
NDS - 200K

Middle East (PSP --> 1.5 Million)

af80ac89.jpg

Russia (LTD's Feb 2011)

j2VKy.png

Screen Digest: Sony Consoles Dominate in PAL Regions (April 2010)
The latest report from Screen Digest - 'Emerging Markets for Video Games' - provides analysis of the retail games hardware and software opportunities in Greece, India, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Turkey and the Middle-East as a whole.

The PlayStation brands tend to dominate because of Sony's long established presence in these markets, particularly in The Middle East and Russia; across all PAL emerging markets PS2 has the highest installed base at 11 million (10% more than the UK); PS3 has the highest sell-through of current generation TV-based formats at 1.4 million and PSP is the most widely owned handheld device, strongest in the Middle East and Russia.

During the last few years Microsoft has developed its games business in Russia, Poland and South Africa to compete more strongly with Sony. Nintendo has yet to invest as widely as the other two platform holders but the success of the Wii has allowed it to gain a foothold in Greece, South Africa and Turkey.

Middle East The first half of 2009 was characterised by tough trading conditions, but during the second half economies stabilised and games sales are estimated to have grown by 14 per cent in 2009 a result of its maturing retail environment. With its local office, Sony is the leading player in the region.

Russia Russia's economic woes impacted heavily on games software sales, with an overall decline estimated at 30 per cent. Of the territories researched, Microsoft's Xbox 360 has its biggest installed base here; by comparison Nintendo has yet to aggressively develop its business in the territory.

Greece With the retail environment improving, games sales in 2009 are estimated to be up slightly on 2008. Sony's local presence has historically driven the market but Nintendo has grown its market share substantially since 2007.

South Africa PC and PS2 formats dominate the South African market, while current generation platforms only penetrate 1% of households. The opportunity is being driven by a whole new generation of users who have an improving standard of living and that are now actively entering the games market.

Poland While Sony and Microsoft battle it out for current generation market share, Nintendo is pretty much absent from the market. The retail environment is modern and sophisticated with over 75 large shopping malls country-wide. Retailers, distributors and games publishers all reported increasing sales in 2009 compared to 2008.

India This huge addressable market offers long term potential - in 2009 Screen Digest estimated games software sales to have grown 50 per cent year-on-year. PS2, PSP, PS3 and PC are the main software platforms, although our primary research shows console games are growing faster than PC.

Turkey Rising living standards, an improved retail environment and strong youth bias within the population have all contributed to substantial growth in Turkey's games market. Sony formats have historically dominated the console sector but Nintendo has found some traction with the Wii and DS.

Piers Harding-Rolls, Head of Games at Screen Digest said "With ongoing improvements in games distribution and retail, these emerging markets offer publishers an increasingly realistic commercial opportunity to tap into. Difficulties remain - cost of localisation and piracy are particular challenges - but with careful selection of content and distribution, games sales in these territories can offer useful incremental revenue."

Installed base of PlayStation consoles in India (July 2011)
PS2 675,000
PSP 250,000
PS3 95,000

Sony: We outsell our competitors by around 50% on a weekly basis in PAL Regions (August 2011)
SCEE president said:
This is something we have been planning for a while.Getting to £199 is fantastic in the UK. It’s a real milestone.UK is one of the territories where we have to do better.

Whether you approach the UK from the perspective of our momentum, or the perspective of the competitive landscape, for us the UK is more like US than continental Europe.If you look across the PAL territory, where typically we outsell our competitors by around 50 per cent on a weekly basis, it’s inverted in the UK.That is something we want to address.

History has shown us that once you get to £199 you hit lift off. We can do some serious business and this kick-starts that. Getting to £199 was a defining moment for the PSone and PS2 – this will be no different.

PS2 across our territory went well over 50m units.We’re at 22m on PS3. So there’s lots of life in that still to come.

PS3 Leading 2011 Australian Console Sales (October 2011)
Installed base of PlayStation consoles in Australia (October 2011)

PS2 2.5 Million
PS1 2.5 Million
PS3 1.4 Million

PS3 sales were 50 per cent higher than Xbox 360 even on the week after Microsoft's price cut "If you look at the period now since (the PS3) price drop, we've outsold them by about 3 to 1."Mr Ephraim says PS3 sales are now holding at about 250 per cent above what Sony was selling before the price drop. "I might add that we have been stock constrained on the 160 Gig (PS3 model) so we think the numbers could be even better. Our retail partners stockholdings in several key retailers have been out of stock in 160.

"January to June, NPD figures show we were just slightly ahead of our real competitor Xbox in unit sales, and we were severely ahead in value because we were still at a higher price in the first half of the year, but we were also selling more units."Now up to last week we're the number one selling console in Australia, including Wii"

Second said:
Pretty impressive. And the Ps3 is still the most expensive console...

Ps3 @ €199 will kill.
Since Microsoft has done an excellent job in the US and UK and japanese developers have lost their touch,Sony presence has weakened in these key markets.However,the rest of the world is different. It's true that Nintendo and Microsoft have grown their businesses over there,but it's also true that the market is bigger, therefore the PS3 is tracking extremely well, particularly in the SCEE territories where the PS3 had sold 22 million after four years at a price range of €299 to €599.

Once PS2 sales have come down to earth in the US,UK and Japan,things are getting interesting.
Code:
Source: Sony

FY                           0      1       2       3       4      5  

PS2 Produc Shipments        1.4     9.2    18.0    22.5    20.1   16.1

PS3 Sell-in Numbers         3.5     9.1    10.1    13.0    14.3   15.0 (*)

(*) Forecast

All things considered,I'd say
Code:
~62 M (Dec 2011)

~67 M before hitting mass-market pricing (€199)

~125 M when all said and done

hirokazu

It's pretty amazing how different those emerging markets are.

Anyway:

Installed base of PlayStation consoles in Australia (October 2011)

PS2 2.5 Million
PS1 2.5 Million
PS3 1.4 Million
I hope we get numbers for other consoles in Australia some time, they're hard to come by...

noobie

Banned
Parmenides said:
NA or the US?

European Hardware Sales (2005 - 2010)
Code:
Source: EA,Sony,Nintendo,NPD  (Million)

'06   '07    '08    '09    '10    '11     LTD      

PAL PS3                                                22.0 (Sony,August 2011)

EU  PS3       -    2.8    3.4    4.0    4.6    2.8     17.6 (Week 41 2011)

US  PS3      0.7   2.6    3.5    4.3    4.3    2.4     17.8 (September 2011)

PS3 Launch 

EU --> March 23, 2007

US --> November 17, 2006

----------------------------------------------------------

EU Wii   LTD  26.9 (Week 41 2011)  Launch --> December 8, 2006

EU 360   LTD  15.7 (Week 41 2011)  Launch --> December 2, 2005
can PS3 outsell 2010 US & EU Pal sales....
US seems a bit difficuilt to overcome but i dont remember how much PS3 sold in Nov & Dec 2010 NPD

DOA

A large price cut from ¥25,000 to ¥15,000.

actually that happend on the 32nd week (the huge spike)

i've meant the 31st week, where the sales are shown as a rounded 0 units.

does that mean that actually nobody bought any units that time?

noobie

Banned
Sony is sticking by its target to sell 15 million PlayStation 3 consoles during the financial year to the end of March 2012. Sony told reporters on Thursday that PS3 sales were slightly ahead of target, despite the long-running dept crises in Europe. Andrew House, who took over as head of Sony Computer Entertainment less than four months ago didn't release a specific number, but felt comfortable enough to stick by their original target of 15 million consoles sold.

According to Eurogamer, "As of 2nd November 2011, Sony had sold 56 million PlayStation 3 units since launch. Microsoft has sold 57.6 million Xbox 360 units since launch."

House did stop short of giving a unit sales estimate for Sony's upcoming handheld, the PlayStation Vita, which launches in Japan on Saturday - two months before the U.S. release in late-February. The Vita has sold out in advance bookings in Japan, but will face a tougher challenge in western markets like the U.S. and Europe.

House said profitability with the Vita hardware sales would depend on currency rates, which have hurt Sony due to the yen's rise against the euro.

I think figures og 56M n 57.6M are from eurogamer n not by Sony rep.. so take them with grain of salt.

ps. i dont know where to post this news.. so i m sorry if its not the appropriate thread for it

NavNucST3

I think figures og 56M n 57.6M are from eurogamer n not by Sony rep.. so take them with grain of salt.

ps. i dont know where to post this news.. so i m sorry if its not the appropriate thread for it

The reuters article doesn't make mention of units so it must be eurogamer

Article does let us know that Vita is not profitable out of the gate.

House said the speed at which Sony could turn Vita hardware sales profitable would depend on currency rates. Sony has been hard hit by the yen's rise against the euro.

noobie

Banned
The reuters article doesn't make mention of units so it must be eurogamer

Article does let us know that Vita is not profitable out of the gate.

I also see that Sony shipped 55.53M unit by 30th Sep 2011.. so selling 56M by 2 November 2011 means only 500k sold in 1 extra Holiday season's month.. which i think will be disastrous for Sony....

Carl

I also see that Sony shipped 55.53M unit by 30th Sep 2011.. so selling 56M by 2 November 2011 means only 500k sold in 1 extra Holiday season's month.. which i think will be disastrous for Sony....

Just Eurogamer using last official figures and rounding up. Do you seriously think they sold 500,000 worldwide in one month?

noobie

Banned
Just Eurogamer using last official figures and rounding up. Do you seriously think they sold 500,000 worldwide in one month?

i agree i believe article is mentioning wrong numbers.
But Eurogamer used the wording "as of 2 November" which made it sound like latest figures.. They should have used as of End of September or something like that..

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Dead heat.. Well thats boring.

Unless they sell more outside those areas than I would have thought, MS really has over shipped.

Road

Unless they sell more outside those areas, MS really has over shipped.

"Exact" numbers from my calculations were 11.04 for the 360 and 11.01 for the PS3 (that's why the 360 is above the PS3 on the list), but that 30k difference could easily go either way considering all the possible error involved.

What can be inferred is:

- the 360 ate up all the lead the PS3 built all the year and more because of the American holiday season (as many predicted it would happen);
- the 3DS is selling a lot;
- the DS is not gonna let the Wii die before it.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
"Exact" numbers from my calculations were 11.04 for the 360 and 11.01 for the PS3 (that's why the 360 is above the PS3 on the list), but that 30k difference could easily go either way considering all the possible error involved.

There is no point talking about exact numbers at this point really. All sales figures are estimates, and only factor in the major markets. The only figure that is even close to exact are the shipment figures from the financial reports, I suppose we should wait for those.

Road

There is no point talking about exact numbers at this point really. All sales figures are estimates, and only factor in the major markets. The only figure that is even close to exact are the shipment figures from the financial reports, I suppose we should wait for those.

Hence "exact".

Unless they sell more outside those areas than I would have thought, MS really has over shipped.

I'd expect 750K-1million in the rest of NA for the 360 and they had to refill the channel after holiday 2010 shortages. Probably still overshipped by a million+. Next quarters results could be look awful, even more so if sales drop off yoy.

Raonak

Banned
wow, deadlocked. intereereesting.

jesus christ @ psp selling half of ps3. I assumed it would've been dead by now. jpan and suprisingly eu still buying it.
guess thats funding the vita.

Road

@Road, Did you look into that other chart with GfK numbers for the 4 countries too?

Yes, I did.

UK + Germany + France + Spain in 2011 (Gfk/Chart-Track/Media-Control)

PS3 2.8m
WII 2.6m
3DS 2.6m
360 2.2m
NDS 2.0m
PSP 0.8m
PS2 0.1m

Hardware sales.

Didn't check software sales yet.

There are still markets like Canada and Australia, where the 360 probably performed well, before we even start to include all the rest (Latin America and mainland Asia).

DBT85

wow, deadlocked. intereereesting.

jesus christ @ psp selling half of ps3. I assumed it would've been dead by now. jpan and suprisingly eu still buying it.
guess thats funding the vita.

And yet it's Europe that gets the Vita last (US gets it on the 15th) and Europe that gets no 32gb cards. RAAAGEEEE

Sony said they were on target to hit 15million PS3s for the fiscal year correct?

user_nat

I do not concur, the PS3 moved 2M+ units in EU over the prior year.

It's boring from a PS3 Vs 360 battle point of view.
Overall it is interesting and great to actually get numbers so thanks Road (and Nintendo).

On your point though, the PS3 is actually down 100k in Europe YoY. Although that may as well be considered flat.

NavNucST3

It's boring from a PS3 Vs 360 battle point of view.
Overall it is interesting and great to actually get numbers so thanks Road (and Nintendo).

On your point though, the PS3 is actually down 100k in Europe YoY. Although that may as well be considered flat.

Think I see it

user_nat

I'm afraid I don't take your meaning are we looking at different numbers? Are you talking sell-in or sell-through with respect to PS3 being down?

I'm not sure. As far as I can see it sold 4.6m in 2010 and 4.5 in 2011. Both numbers are on this page.

Edit
Actually 4.9 in 2011. Stupid iPad puts code boxes in one straight line making them hard to read. So actually up 300ish.

NavNucST3

I'm not sure. As far as I can see it sold 4.6m in 2010 and 4.5 in 2011. Both numbers are on this page.

Edit
Actually 4.9 in 2011. Stupid iPad puts code boxes in one straight line making them hard to read. So actually up 300ish.

I just can't find that PS3 4.6 in any Nintendo slide from IR site from around this time last year.

I'd expect 750K-1million in the rest of NA for the 360 and they had to refill the channel after holiday 2010 shortages. Probably still overshipped by a million+. Next quarters results could be look awful, even more so if sales drop off yoy.

If MS overshipped judging by this, Sony will too since I expect the final 2011 ship numbers to be very close either way.

So I dont really think it's that simple, Sony seems to load up more in the calender 3rd Q each year, then has correspondingly somewhat less 4Q shipments.

Not that it would shock me if MS posts some horrible ship number 1st Q, they've done it before. But there's really no telling. Last 4th Q the channel was basically dry of 360's coming out of holiday, so that right there can account for a lot if this year it isn't.

Elios83

If MS overshipped judging by this, Sony will too since I expect the final 2011 ship numbers to be very close either way.

So I dont really think it's that simple, Sony seems to load up more in the calender 3rd Q each year, then has correspondingly somewhat less 4Q shipments.

Not that it would shock me if MS posts some horrible ship number 1st Q, they've done it before. But there's really no telling. Last 4th Q the channel was basically dry of 360's coming out of holiday, so that right there can account for a lot if this year it isn't.

I don't think that Sony has overshipped, we'll find out on February 2, but they said they're on target for their 15m forecast which means around 7m shipped.
Q1 should be bad for Microsoft with the overshipment they have done in the Oct-Dec quarter, especially if sales drop yoy in the US (and for bad I mean 1.2m bad while Sony should ship 2.5m if they want to hit their target).

Miles X

I don't think that Sony has overshipped, we'll find out on February 2, but they said they're on target for their 15m forecast which means around 7m shipped.
Q1 should be bad for Microsoft with the overshipment they have done in the Oct-Dec quarter, especially if sales drop yoy in the US (and for bad I mean 1.2m bad while Sony should ship 2.5m if they want to hit their target).

In Q4 they're basically flat everywhere, Europe, Japan, US ... Yet they expect to ship 700k~ more?

If the price cut didn't spur on growth in those regions, I can't see it working its magic elsewhere.

Elios83

In Q4 they're basically flat everywhere, Europe, Japan, US ... Yet they expect to ship 700k~ more?

If the price cut didn't spur on growth in those regions, I can't see it working its magic elsewhere.

We'll see on February 2.
It depends on many factors including inventory levels around the world and confidence retailers have in selling the product in the short term.
Microsoft has overshipped big time last quarter yet retailers thought they could sell those units, it didn't happen so next quarter will likely reflect that with low shipments.
Btw if we're looking at sell through sales I think you're right, Sony is looking likely to end up flat yoy at around 14.3m rather than hitting their 15m forecast, not a big difference actually but still less than expected, the system really needs a 199$ price after more than 5 years on the market.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I imagine Sony are pretty comfortable with their 10 year cycle plan at this stage, so the next fab reduction isn't really an if, just a when. They are an engineering company after all.

To be honest I'd expect a new PS3 revision within the next 18 months in order to counter Nintendo's entry into the HD sector and whatever MS do to compensate for it.

Top Bottom