• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro, US, JP 2011 YTD Hardware and Software Sales

mujun

gogogow said:
Ehhh....I don't think you follow Japanese sales at all. PS3 was selling like shit, HW and SW wise until a steady stream of good games came along together with the PS3 slim redesign and pricecut in 2009.

That's true. But just because the PS3 didn't sell for a couple of years after coming out doesn't mean that people loyal to the Sony brand suddenly thought it was shit. Correct me if I'm wrong but in those 2 (or was it three years) it was all Wii and handhelds. Seems to me that there were a lot of people (those who are now buying the machine in droves) who were just waiting for the price to come down and the library to fill out. I think the fact that the 360 didn't go anywhere even in such an advantageous position is evidence of this. Not to mention the Wii pretty much going down the toilet.

Road

zomgbbqftw said:
Nice PS3 sales. Another reminder than US/UK =/= World.

Which countries make up the EU figure for Nintendo? Last time it was UK, France, Germany and Spain, have they added Italy, Portugal, Ireland or Scandinavia yet? If not then I expect PS3 sales will be even higher, maybe closer to 7m WW.
The Europe information is from Nintendo combining different sources. I assume they include the same markets as the Top 20 software chart (UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Austria and Switzerland), but it isn't said explicitly anywhere.

For the UK, France, Germany and Spain, Nintendo is showing information from Gfk/Media-Control. They have been showing both types of charts for a while.

Elios83

Beam said:
Sony will not price it @ 199 any time soon. they care more about profit. Unless 199 would be profitable, don´t expect any cuts.

Next year with a new hardware revision, they're still making a profit at 249$.
Infact both Sony and MS should cut by 50$ in 2012.

Majmun

I wish we could track down sales from the rest of the world. I wonder how hardware is selling in Afrika, Asia and South-America. Those are basically the biggest markets.

And probably the poorest, where piracy is rampant

Second said:
I wish we could track down sales from the rest of the world. I wonder how hardware is selling in Afrika, Asia and South-America. Those are basically the biggest markets.

And probably the poorest, where piracy is rampant

Sony do quite good business in the middle-east, asia etc. Better than their competitors I believe.

PS3 at £199 + game bundles are going to shift like crazy this Xmas. Game are doing a £199 PS3 + Fifa 12 bundle. Madness.

onQ123

PuppetMaster said:
Look at that PSP still kickin! You go girl!

I think the 3DS\PS Vita & PS3 could prolong the life of the PSP.

if it wasn't for the hacked PSPs devs would be loving the PSP right now (well they are in Japan)

if I wanted a game to reach everyone & be easily ported to other systems I would start with the PSP add 3D for the 3DS , & use higher res for the PS Vita & PS3 for the HD remake.

no I'm not leaving out the 360 & other consoles I just left it out because it take away from the point I was making with a lazy dev making 1 game & pushing it out on a few systems without much work

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
onQ123 said:
if it wasn't for the hacked PSPs devs would be loving the PSP right now (well they are in Japan)
Is PSP unhacked in Japan and gets all that love there? This piracy excuse has become really boring.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BladeoftheImmortal said:
God, the biggest problem is that the tely bottlenecked the NDS sales in Japan. That's got to be the worst YTD for Japan, ever.

EDIT: I don't know why my font is like this, what the hell happened.

Your character encoding is messed up, possibly in Japanese / Unicode. It could also be your keyboard language. Try resetting your browser's character encoding to automatic or changing your keyboard layout back to US english.

tzare

Meisadragon said:
Why bring in the WW sales in an NPD thread? That doesn't make any sense. I'm glad that Nintendo revealed these numbers, as the EU sales were always a bit... iffy.
why not? People always say sony must drop the price and that they are doomed. Once you see the global picture things make much more sense regarding sony's pricing

Galvanise_ said:
Sony do quite good business in the middle-east, asia etc. Better than their competitors I believe.

PS3 at £199 + game bundles are going to shift like crazy this Xmas. Game are doing a £199 PS3 + Fifa 12 bundle. Madness.

Have any links for that? I haven't seen/heard/read anything regarding those markets.

flyinpiranha said:
Have any links for that? I haven't seen/heard/read anything regarding those markets.

I'll try and find some. I've only seen a few random articles over the years. I saw one around the time Move was going to launch in Saudi and it mentioned PlayStation was a strong brand there and was the device of choice. SCE's India head honcho has occasionally popped up mentioning the growth of PlayStation there etc.

India

Elios83

Beam said:
How do you know that? Did Sony said anything about that?

That´s a given.

Yes they confirmed it, they're profitable at 249$.

"We knew the time was right from a market standpoint to drop the price to $249. It’s a really good time to make the announcement and we expect a lot of traction. It is still profitable. We’re not going into the red."

Galvanise_ said:
I'll try and find some. I've only seen a few random articles over the years. I saw one around the time Move was going to launch in Saudi and it mentioned PlayStation was a strong brand there and was the device of choice. SCE's India head honcho has occasionally popped up mentioning the growth of PlayStation there etc.

India

"We began the year with 90,000 registered users and we are now at 110,000 users from India on PSN."

They may be doing better than the competition but if that is a gauge of the market the numbers are practically insignificant.

Kenshin001 said:
"We began the year with 90,000 registered users and we are now at 110,000 users from India on PSN."

They may be doing better than the competition but if that is a gauge of the market the numbers are practically insignificant.

Well, they've sold more than 500,000 PS3's there by the sounds of things. They are looking to produce more Bollywood games that will drive growth there.

I'll try and find some South America numbers.

onQ123

Chris1964 said:
Is PSP unhacked in Japan and gets all that love there? This piracy excuse has become really boring.

no but Japan didn't let it stop them from making a lot of new games for the PSP.

jcm said:
What's not true? That lots of GAFfers don't pay attention to non-US sales? We get worldwide shipment numbers every quarter, and every quarter people are surprised that the PS3 has been outselling the 360 consistently.

Here's an example. March NPD - 857 posts, even though we never got Sony numbers.

Two weeks later, the Q1 version of this thread - 100 posts, despite the fact that we had much better data.

All this points out is where the majority of GAF posters live. GAF is a US based site, English is the main language, and the majority of people who post here are from the US. Of course NPD threads are going to get more attention. Just like MediaCreate threads would get more attention if GAF was based in Japan and the majority of posters were Japanese. People pay attention to worldwide numbers, it just doesn't affect them as much because that isn't where they live. If I live in the US, then how do sales in say Finland affect me? I like discussing them, I think it's fascinating to talk about how and why certain systems sell or don't sell in different regions but that's just me.

DMeisterJ said:
It's nice to get worldwide sales to put all of the sales of the systems in perspective. Looking only at the information we're spoon fed paints a different outlook than what is really happening.

Worldwide userbase numbers only matter when talking about certain games. For instance, EA isn't looking at the userbase in Japan and thinking that they are all potential customers for the next Madden. Worldwide userbase numbers don't matter for games that sell regionally which is the majority of games. Very few games get released that have true worldwide appeal.

Chris1964 said:

This is what I don't get. Is Monster Hunter the only unhackable PSP game?

tzare said:
why not? People always say sony must drop the price and that they are doomed. Once you see the global picture things make much more sense regarding sony's pricing

Actually, in the price drop thread when it first happened I said that it sucks for Sony cause they need to drop the price in the US by $100 but don't need to drop it at all worldwide because of sales in Europe so the compromise was to drop it by $50 since they couldn't do just a regional price drop.

shuri

Banned
I'd post an analysis but I don't want my words to end up on Kotaku :(

On another note, the psp still selling in JPN is a strange cultural situation.. Japanese people are very much against piracy, and it has always been the case forever. It's just strange.

Galvanise_ said:
Well, they've sold more than 500,000 PS3's there by the sounds of things. They are looking to produce more Bollywood games that will drive growth there.

I'll try and find some South America numbers.

Where are you getting 500K from?

Rolf NB

So the Wii is declining in all markets, not just the two we already knew about. Going to be a long ride until the Wii U launch.

noobie

Banned
shuri said:
I'd post an analysis but I don't want my words to end up on Kotaku :(

On another note, the psp still selling in JPN is a strange cultural situation.. Japanese people are very much against piracy, and it has always been the case forever. It's just strange.

This shouldnt deter you from posting your analysis.. just write a copyright note at the end..

jcm

OldJadedGamer said:
All this points out is where the majority of GAF posters live. GAF is a US based site, English is the main language, and the majority of people who post here are from the US. Of course NPD threads are going to get more attention. Just like MediaCreate threads would get more attention if GAF was based in Japan and the majority of posters were Japanese. People pay attention to worldwide numbers, it just doesn't affect them as much because that isn't where they live. If I live in the US, then how do sales in say Finland affect me? I like discussing them, I think it's fascinating to talk about how and why certain systems sell or don't sell in different regions but that's just me.
Well, it sounds like we agree then.

Worldwide userbase numbers only matter when talking about certain games. For instance, EA isn't looking at the userbase in Japan and thinking that they are all potential customers for the next Madden. Worldwide userbase numbers don't matter for games that sell regionally which is the majority of games. Very few games get released that have true worldwide appeal.

If the only reason to discuss sales is because of third party platform decisions, then there's no reason to talk sales. Those decisions happened years ago, and aren't going to change. By your reckoning, no sales matter anymore.

jcm

Galvanise_ said:
Just checked, I misinterpreted 'units' in an article as units of HW. Turned out it was software.

My apologies.

Yeah, it's nowhere close to 500K. From an interview in July 2011:

We just reached an important milestone that we’re very proud of. There is now an installed base of one million Playstation consoles in India, which includes all three consoles. The PS2 now stands at around 675,000. Growth had stagnated a bit last year, but sales have picked up nicely this year, so we’re very happy about that. The PSP is at around 250,000, while the PS3 install base is around 95,000. On the PSP and PS3, around 70-80 percent are official sales, so we know the definite number. On the PS2, around the first 300,000 were imports, but now it’s all official.

Edit: Didn't mean to post twice in a row

Elios83 said:
Yes they confirmed it, they're profitable at 249$.

"We knew the time was right from a market standpoint to drop the price to $249. It’s a really good time to make the announcement and we expect a lot of traction. It is still profitable. We’re not going into the red."
Thanks for the answer dude. So the next revision means more cuts in production price which could mean 199$ PS3 by holiday 2012. But if the PS3 is selling really well they have no reason to cut prices.

noobie

Banned
BKK said:
44Z9g.jpg
Surprise to see lack of COD (XBOX 360) in top 20 European software chart...
piracy??

kadotsu

Banned
noobie said:
Surprise to see lack of COD (XBOX 360) in top 20 European software chart...
piracy??
It just means that 360 games have very front-loaded sales in Europe (COD:BO is a 2010 game). Or in this case it could just be an install base related difference.

kadotsu said:
It just means that 360 games have very front-loaded sales in Europe (COD:BO is a 2010 game). Or in this case it could just be an install base related difference.
So how do you explain the 360 version of FIFA11 being on the list and not the PS3?

I wonder if somehow the COD and FIFA platforms got switched.

Edit- thought of another explanation, the Euro sales include bundles.

jcm said:
If the only reason to discuss sales is because of third party platform decisions, then there's no reason to talk sales. Those decisions happened years ago, and aren't going to change. By your reckoning, no sales matter anymore.

My point is that for some reason everyone holds up the total worldwide number as some kind of goal but it's a goal to what? If company A loses money on each system and company B makes money on each system, is company A the winner because they sold more units than company B? No, the name of the game has always been profit, not userbase. The winners will be the ones who make the most profit, not sell the most units. These don't always go hand in hand.

These companies make money off games. For every third party game, MS/Sony/Nintendo get around $12-$15 on each disc as it leaves the factory. All for doing nothing more than a few weeks of QA for cert at the end of the project. Selling 10 million copies of BLOPS? Well, that is 150 million for the console owner for doing nothing. That's what matters. So using worldwide numbers only relates to the game. Sony/MS make pretty much nothing off Madden in Japan even if both of them had 100 million units sold over there. That's why I'm saying Worldwide numbers only really matter to bullet points on PR statements and a power point slide at E3 but in the real world, it's a game by game basis.

I am interested in sales of course, I like to try to understand why some systems sell more in one region over the other instead of stupidly saying Europe=World.

spwolf

bigtroyjon said:
So how do you explain the 360 version of FIFA11 being on the list and not the PS3?

ps3 version is best selling game in europe, it is #1.

:)

bigtroyjon said:

Like I said earlier, I think it may be a typo and should be the PS3 version. It's an odd one out. The PS3 version would certainly make more sense, espcially with the sales of 12.

Belgorim

Man, this thread would have been 10k replies in the beginning of the gen :p

People don't care enough by now... should be a sign that a new gen is needed!

WinFonda

Lol at the shifting expectations.

The same people saying "it's not a surprise" are the same ones who fight tooth and nail to argue that the 360 is at parity in Europe (using the UK as the basis of their argument), except when the evidence comes out against it. Then it's "no surprise"

It's even funnier when we look and find out that the gap between US and Europe between the two consoles essentially cancel each other out. Yet all we hear is how the 360 "dominates" the US market. Apparently no more so than the PS3 dominates Europe. Lols

If anyone knows the NPD YTD NSMBWii number, it would be cool to know that. Could figure out all kinds of interesting numbers using that top 20 chart.

I've started figuring out some things but they aren't real precise because my range for NSMB is wide(500K-600K).

WinFonda said:
It's even funnier when we look and find out that the gap between US and Europe between the two consoles essentially cancel each other out. Yet all we hear is how the 360 "dominates" the US market. Apparently no more so than the PS3 dominates Europe. Lols

Again, you hear this because the 360 does dominate in the US and the majority of GAF lives in the US. It's not rocket science. Think about it from the NES days when the NES dominated the US by a landslide then if you had posters from Europe going on and on about how great the Master System was and how well it sold in Europe. Does that matter if none of my friends have a Master System?

It doesn't affect a lot of people because that system doesn't dominate where they live so many people tend not to care. Some GAF'ers are more into sales talk than others regardless of region. Most will only care about their own region since it directly affects them do don't get worked up about sales talk in regions that don't affect you.

It's cool to discuss them and try to understand the whys and hows but to get all butthurt over it is silly. I see a lot of this in NPD threads and most of the times, from posters that don't live in the NPD reporting area.

We finally get a worldwide sales thread with good numbers, we should be talking about *why* the PS3 sells well or the 360 doesn't... not "herp derp, NPD=World"

WinFonda

OldJadedGamer said:
Again, you hear this because the 360 does dominate in the US and the majority of GAF lives in the US. It's not rocket science.

It doesn't affect a lot of people because that system doesn't dominate where they live so many people tend not to care. Some GAF'ers are more into sales talk than others regardless of region. Most will only care about their own region since it directly affects them do don't get worked up about sales talk in regions that don't affect you.
Wrong. They do it because it benefits their argument. Nothing more, nothing less.

Omiee

man ps3 has some legs on it, it really is doing well worlwide. i think we need more titles for 2012 though.

NavNucST3

WinFonda said:
Lol at the shifting expectations.

The same people saying "it's not a surprise" are the same ones who fight tooth and nail to argue that the 360 is at parity in Europe (using the UK as the basis of their argument), except when the evidence comes out against it. Then it's "no surprise"

You have to be joking, putting aside the fact that the EU doesn't cancel out the 360 US lead for the CY [using only the countries in these graphs], the US 4Q numbers put some other countries LTD numbers to shame (assuming equivalent sell-through to prior years).

OldJadedGamer said:
We finally get a worldwide sales thread with good numbers, we should be talking about *why* the PS3 sells well or the 360 doesn't... not "herp derp, NPD=World"

This.

Sony has a stronger brand loyalty in the EU than Microsoft. This is obviously due to the PlayStation legacy but its also due to PlayStation is associated with. The 360 is really (mainly) associated with shooters, whereas PlayStation is associated with Football, Platformers, Racers, JRPG's, action adventure, social gaming (Singstar, EyeToy). Sony also market the PlayStation brand quite mainstreamly here. PlayStation is all over the place in the Champions League for example. Recent ads on Channel 5 have even advertised the PlayStation Store and some of its content.

Microsoft have made efforts to diversify their portfolio, which will help combat this issue down the line.

European Culture varies quite a bit from country to country and the tastes will vary to different degrees. I guess PlayStation is more of a 'one size fits all' gaming solution than what the 360 represents.

Top Bottom