• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro, US, JP 2011 YTD Hardware and Software Sales

mujun

painful fart said:
That is the world wide numbers.

For Europe

Code:
            TOTAL   US      EU      JP
PS3          6.3    2.42    [B]2.79    [/B]1.11
NDS          5.5    2.67    2.26    0.60
360          5.5    3.45    [B]1.98 [/B]   0.09

so 2.79 vs. 1.98 is about 40% higher sales for the PS3 in Europe.

Good spot! I was wrong then, 40% higher is pretty much dominating.

waicol

Banned
Takao said:
It's never been the hardware sales, it's always been the software.
This. Funny/sad thing is that a good percent of those people are buying the hardware to use cfg for "backups" or to play nintendo games.

BKK

Code:
2011 EUROPEAN HARDWARE SALES

PS3  360  WII  3DS
W41:  91K  60K  44K  45K
W40: 107K  62K  44K  43K

Sep: 400K 247K 175K 205K
Aug: 249K 151K 159K 215K
Jul: 228K 182K 196K 100K

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well...in the end they really sold more in Europe than in USA! :lol
It's good seeing that there seems to be an upward trend since last weeks saw a rise in units sold per week.
Moreover, since they said to have reached the one million mark just one day after the price cut, this means that 3DS sold about 500k in one month and half, after having sold one million in 4 months and a half...with an upward trend in these last weeks. Not bad, and similar to DS in regard to total numbers, IIRC.
Talking about US...eh, in September it decreased a bit in every week, but not in a dramatic way, so not as the DS is doing. 3DS should obtain to eat even more in DS territory this October, stabilizing, or even going a little up in weekly sales.

Not sure if got mentioned already but from the writeup where the charts are:
According to a report from Nintendo of America, the U.S. sales of the Wii for the first three weeks of October exceeded those of the corresponding period a year ago.

Hydrargyrus

Europe for the win.

Everyone seems to be interested only en the USA, UK and Japan sales, when is in the continental Europe where the biggest sales are (at least in PS3)

Alx

mujun said:
I agree, I think, similar to Japan it comes down to strong brand loyalty. MS hasn't done enough in Europe to win PS2 faithful over.

That's what I think too, especially considering that (almost) all of the big titles of this generation on PS3 or 360 are multiplatform anyway.
It's not really a surprise either, with the huge domination of Sony in the past generations, it's only logical that they keep an edge on brand loyalty. Actually the complete switch of popularity that happened in US and UK is the more surprising phenomenon.

Things are balancing out, though, and I suppose that for next generation, both MS and Sony will start with similar brand loyalty. I suppose that they'll have to carefully communicate on their new consoles at launch.

Kikujiro

GarthVaderUK said:
Is it a surprise that the PS3 outsells the 360 in Europe? Has the 360 dominated in Europe previously? I don't think the 360 is doing badly in Europe, seems like a good step up from the original Xbox.

No, but 360 outsells PS3 in the UK market and a lot of people assume UK=EU.

tiku

Why the difference between this Nintendo numbers and the ones provided by Nintendo in the Fiscal Report?

Based on the US top 20 and other previously known NPD data:
Kinect Sports 1.6+ million LTD
Dance Central 1.8+ million LTD

(US only sales)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Keep in mind that with Japan and NA canceling each other out, that stops happening in the last 3 months due to the Holidays.

In case anyone missed these interesting JoshuaJSloane graphs from the results thread:

3DS_WW

3DS_WW

Shipped IIRC

tiku said:
Why the difference between this Nintendo numbers and the ones provided by Nintendo in the Fiscal Report?

The numbers on the black table in the OP were achieved through pixel counting on the graphs I believe. There will be margin for error / other factors, given we don't have the full data.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
radioheadrule83 said:
The numbers on the black table in the OP were achieved through pixel counting on the graphs I believe. There will be margin for error / other factors, given we don't have the full data.
Sales vs. shipments

Indyana

tiku said:
The ones in the Fiscal Report are shipped, sold to stores, the ones here are sold to people.

Globox_82

Banned
Sad part is that SCEE threats us like shit over here. And yet Europe is Sony land.
We always get things late or delayed. For example still not PayDAy on PSN!

qq more

3DS sold 5 million units in 8 months? Nice. Knew it wasn't a flop. Looking forward to the holiday sales.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
God, the biggest problem is that the tely bottlenecked the NDS sales in Japan. That's got to be the worst YTD for Japan, ever.

EDIT: I don't know why my font is like this, what the hell happened.
That...is really bizarre! It's even different when I'm quoting you!

Majine

Banned
Globox_82 said:
Sad part is that SCEE threats us like shit over here. And yet Europe is Sony land.
One would say Microsoft and even more so, Nintendo treats us worse. For one thing, we pay more for XBL Gold than US yet we get less stuff.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Hydrargyrus said:
Europe for the win.

Everyone seems to be interested only en the USA, UK and Japan sales, when is in the continental Europe where the biggest sales are (at least in PS3)
NA is bigger market than EU for PS3.

Orgen

bobbytkc said:
Not for hardware sales at least. Read OP.

We should know the LTD for both regions to make statements like that (I'm not saying that you're wrong here, but a difference of 300K units for 9 months is not enough to call Europe the best region for the PS3 IMO).

gogogow

mujun said:
I agree, I think, similar to Japan it comes down to strong brand loyalty. MS hasn't done enough in Europe to win PS2 faithful over.
Ehhh....I don't think you follow Japanese sales at all. PS3 was selling like shit, HW and SW wise until a steady stream of good games came along together with the PS3 slim redesign and pricecut in 2009.

Globox_82 said:

I don't think SCEE is doing it because they want to, I'm pretty sure there are a lot more stuff they need to go through before they can release games here. There was a pretty good blog on the PS Blog talking about this a few months ago. It sucks though, no doubt.

Saty

Would love to get some numbers of the games in the software charts or an estimated cut-off figure for the top 20. No version of Crysis 2 is in EU\US top 20 but Homefront 360 is there.

Truespeed said:
The Japanese PS3 sales basically cover the monthly 360->PS3 NPD difference. Europe is where it will be decided.

I don't know man, Kinect in NPD land is very tricky, it can die out but it can boom like the Wii. The casuals and the intricacies of trends and popularity can never be fully understood.

Nice PS3 sales. Another reminder than US/UK =/= World.

Which countries make up the EU figure for Nintendo? Last time it was UK, France, Germany and Spain, have they added Italy, Portugal, Ireland or Scandinavia yet? If not then I expect PS3 sales will be even higher, maybe closer to 7m WW.

We also have evidence that PS3 sales in Australia are much higher than Wii or 360 as well now:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...-australian-console-sales-20111025-1mi9f.html

Sony Computer Entertainment Australia managing director Michael Ephraim says PS3 is currently the best-selling console in Australia for 2011, with sales increasing by 400 percent in the first weeks after the price drop. The console now starts from $350.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Sony says PS3 sales have remained strong even after the recent price cut to the Xbox 360.

Mr Ephraim says PS3 sales were 50 per cent higher than Xbox 360 even on the week after Microsoft's price cut. "If you look at the period now since (the PS3) price drop, we've outsold them by about 3 to 1."

mr_toa

kyubajin said:
Yay, PAL land is PS3 land. Also, this just really confirmed me that 360 is alive thanks to NA.

Another way to spin it is, that PS3 is only alive due to JP, and that X360 is doing quite well in EU, in what once was an entirely Sony dominated region. But that's just an alternative spin :)

Anyway, good showing by the PS3! Looking at both the sustained spikes that the PS3 got in the EU and US, it's more than readily apparent that Microsoft should be considering a price-cut shortly to keep pace.

manzo

Well done on Sony's part. MS will always be 3rd here because how they treat the European users with their overpriced and underwhelming Xbox Live (when compared to the US offering).

I can't really think of a reason why the european Joe Sixpack should pick up a 360 instead of a PS3.

You know what, PSP is still pretty strong considering it's a "dead" platform. Especially in Europe.

PlayStation 3 is still plastered all over the Champions League. I think that's an important deal for them.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
360 is too NA focused to dethrone PS3 in mainland Europe. It's a different market, needs different games and services and a different image. Sony knows this well, but MS doesn't seem to care much.

manzo

get2sammyb said:
PlayStation 3 is still plastered all over the Champions League. I think that's an important deal for them.

Playstation 3 is plastered all over the place here. MS hardly never even bothers to market anything, at least in the Scandinavia.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It's nice to get worldwide sales to put all of the sales of the systems in perspective. Looking only at the information we're spoon fed paints a different outlook than what is really happening.

Road

jcm said:
It's like the more close-mouthed NPD becomes, the more Nintendo tells us. Thanks Nintendo. Lots to digest here.
Actually there is less info on this presentation than usual: no overall software charts, no market share charts, and the comparisons are just with last year, instead of the previous two years.

I wish Nintendo systems were doing better so they'd be proud to show more data.

DMeisterJ said:
It's nice to get worldwide sales to put all of the sales of the systems in perspective. Looking only at the information we're spoon fed paints a different outlook than what is really happening.
Agreed.

Second said:
Pretty impressive. And the Ps3 is still the most expensive console...

Ps3 @ €199 will kill.
Sony will not price it @ 199 any time soon. they care more about profit. Unless 199 would be profitable, don´t expect any cuts.

krakov

For anecdotal evidence, here in Sweden I think the 360 has won a lot of people over compared to the old Xbox which was/is mainly used for emulation and such. Playstation is still a very strong brand though and that probably won't change anytime soon.

All platforms seem healthy this time around, which is nice to see.

Top Bottom