• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Schafer: Indies Moving Away From XBLA, Console Patches Cost $40,000

Dan Yo

Banned
Not really. Steam is still heavily reliant on AAA console ports that wouldn't exist as they do if the console makers weren't around. Steam can't survive on $2 indie game sales alone, they need those 2 million Skyrim and 1 million COD people.
You do realize that Elder Scrolls and COD are both traditionally PC franchises? Steam never needed consoles to sell those games. In fact they'd probably sell more if the consoles didn't start getting them at all.

You do realize that Elder Scrolls and COD are both traditionally PC franchises? Steam never needed consoles to sell those games. In fact they'd probably sell more if the consoles didn't start getting them at all.

But they wouldn't have the budget they have now if not for the retail console versions. Steam to most publishers is a way to steer away some pirates from downloading games illegally.

You wouldn't see games with as high budgets as skyrim and cod if their only marketplace was steam.

edit: fixed the they're/their mistake. You're infecting me, gaf :(

Autofokus

Because Dead Island worked pretty well right? That game was flat out broken at launch because the developers uploaded the wrong build. For console makers, they can't afford for that to happen. Their audience isn't as captive as a PC gamer audience which has probably spent a lot more money on their hardware and are a lot more knowledgeable about stuff like patches.

Bad example.
Did you play the console releases? Corrupted savegames, more than a handful of big bugs and what-not - took 2-3 Patches and 1-2 months to fix all that shit.

Steam and iOS has free of charge patches, making them a really nice place to create games. Especially if patches becomes a vital part of the game experience like with TF2.
Not true, PSN charges the publisher a fee per MB regardless of the download. This includes "free" content like patches or demos.

How about finishing your game before you gold it?

MS is a rip off as well.

So everytime my 360 kicks me offline to update a game, that $40k out of the dev's/pub's pocket, or is it sometimes an internal MS update as well? Because I can't recall a game that didn't do this at least once.

TheOddOne

Except steam, facebook, and ios are the only ones with a majority indie devs saying they are more than satisified in most studies. I have no reason to disbelieve them.
I totally agree, but that wasn't really my point. I think the timing of those articles where just very convenient and skewed to only focus on XBLA. Seems that most PSN problems where either not discussed or not even mentioned, but seems to be having the same major problems as XBLA.

There was clearly mudsliggin between the two console manufacturers, so I'm kind of skeptical of how it was made and the pure focus on only PSN/XBLA.

To be fair 2D Boy's seem to be the one that the most comprehensive of them all, so it's not really the article I'm having doubts about. Still, the title is really trollish.

Derrick01

Banned

First of all it's been like 8 years since COD was a PC franchise, and it's been even longer for Elder Scrolls. Mod support which lets PC players turn ES games into PC games doesn't count when the actual games are designed for consoles first.

Second these games get made as they are because of the budgets they're given, which they're only given because they sell 10+ million and probably 75% of that is on consoles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought I read on here that XBLA gives you one patch for free but you pay if you need one after that? and that PSN updates were fully free?

°°ToMmY°°;35096226 said:
But they wouldn't have the budget they have now if not for the retail console versions.

Second these games get made as they are because of the budgets they're given, which they're only given because they sell 10+ million and probably 75% of that is on consoles.

It didn't occur to any of you that if the games stayed on PC, huge budgets wouldn't be needed? You know, as PC development is cheaper than console development?

That's messed up and clearly console makers need to change.

It must be worse for PSN stuff since SCEA and SCEE are treated as completely different certifications

M3d10n

I rather a system that is very open and allows the largest number of games. The way to deal with crap is to have a good system of featuring good games.

The PC is already an open system. There's nothing preventing you from alt-tabbing from Steam, loading Newgrounds.com and playing hundreds of Super Mario and MegaMan clones. Heck, you can even do it inside a Steam game (using the overlay browser)!

Derrick01

Banned
It didn't occur to any of you that if the games stayed on PC, huge budgets wouldn't be needed? You know, as PC development is cheaper than console development?

I do know that Skyrim wouldn't have sold 10 million if it was PC only, and that's what these people care about most.

Bad example.
Did you play the console releases? Corrupted savegames, more than a handful of big bugs and what-not - took 2-3 Patches and 1-2 months to fix all that shit.

Imagine how bad it would be without the patch certification. They'd probably upload the wrong build!
trollol

Infinity

No wonder we don't see more risk-taking and innovation on the console side. That 40K figure seems steep even for a major studio.

see5harp

Haven't I been telling people that XBL is just a horrible service from the beginning? Anything requiring a friggin' subscription fee for basic functionality (playing games online) is seriously screaming "we operate based on sheer greed and nothing else!" to me. Having such a huge cost for fucking patches (that we've had for free since the first friggin' PC games were released) strikes me as a really odd business choice. Why wouldn't you want to increase the quality of your console's library over time?

Congratulations, I'm so happy for you.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Holy shit - why would indie dev's even release their games on anything else??
It's very difficult to get games on Steam. Very difficult. :\

Why is it $40,000 for a console patch? Is that what Sony and Microsoft charge for the approval process?

Microsoft has a "first patch free, the rest $$$" while Sony charges for bandwidth used on the PS Store, but no charge for patches. That's how it was a few months ago anyways.

I highly doubt that Valve is dictating prices to indie developers. I think it's more likely that they come up with recommendations, ie they show indie devs a bunch of numbers and tell them "based on our experience, this is the price point you need to set in order to get the most sales". Indie devs really have no reason not to believe them since, well, they're Valve and they've been doing PC game sales for a long time.

You make it sound like this a good thing. Strange. Let me point out then that both franchises were a) fantastic even before they went multiplatform and b) arguably even better than their current console-led incarnations.

Why is it $40,000 for a console patch? Is that what Sony and Microsoft charge for the approval process?

Dont know maybe because the people when getting a shitty product will blame microsoft instead of the developer why their console game isn't working properly.

How does patching actually work in the indie channel of xbl.

Derrick01

Banned
You make it sound like this a good thing. Strange. Let me point out then that both franchises were a) fantastic even before they went multiplatform and b) arguably even better than their current console-led incarnations.

When did I say otherwise? You guys are really missing the point here.

Sean

Banned
I see little reason for developers to bother with XBLA/PSN anymore.

- Need a publisher most of the time to even get considered
- Need to get greenlit by the platform manager first. Since they release only like one or two games per week that's ~100 games a year max.
- Pay for ESRB rating
- Deal with strict certification
- Deal with size restrictions (though much less of a problem now)
- Have the platform holders dictate pricing of your game AND downloadable content
- Get charged $40k just for supporting your game with a patch

Then you have no idea when your game will actually be released. Unless it's one of the lucky four "Summer of Arcade" or "PSN PLAY" style promotions, the game gets pretty much no advertising at all. Seems like a lot of shitty extra hoops to jump through and unnecessary costs just to get your game on the service.

Compare that to Apple who pimps developers apps/games on their Appstore Twitter account (785k followers), Facebook (4m+ fans), weekly "What's new on iTunes" email newsletters, television commercials, preloads them onto iOS devices in their retail stores, etc.

alstein

If true (and I'm sure it is), I'm amazed that XBLA / PSN games ever get patched.

Supposedly you get 2 free patches.

That said, even longtime Microsoft fans at Stardock have blasted XBL and XBLIG. (Stardock put out a $1 game called Elfsquad 7 from one of their employees last Christmas, and they were not happy at all with Microsoft over that, and this is a company that makes most of its money from Windows)

It's very difficult to get games on Steam. Very difficult. :\
I'm curious on why that is. There have stories where Valve doesn't respond for a long time or you're lost forever in their inbox. Are there any other accounts of the application process that we know of? Edit: Feeeeep, where are you??

It's like 260+ people working there right now, according to Wikipedia. Compare that to 7820 employees at EA, for example. I don't imply that as evidence of them being pulled in multiple directions or have any judgment of their priorities.

szaromir

Banned
Call of Duty 1 was a terrible game (in single player at least) and I was always surprised to see it so popular when there were many deeper and more fun military shooters available at the time.

I get the whole quality control and all but shouldn't Microsoft/Sony believe that it's in the developers best interest to make sure their game is as good as it can possibly be? I can't think of many people that would release a game, break it and then not bother to fix it.

Man, that chart says it all.

Not completely.

Looking at that chart you would expect higher quality indie PSN and even WW games compared to XBLIG, and you don't get that. You would also expect higher quality facebook games compared to iOS and you don't get that either.

Microsoft has a "first patch free, the rest $$$" while Sony charges for bandwidth used on the PS Store, but no charge for patches. That's how it was a few months ago anyways.

How much $$$ for the rest? Also, Sony's .16 per GB always seemed reasonable to me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Call of Duty 1 was a terrible game (in single player at least) and I was always surprised to see it so popular when there were many deeper and more fun military shooters available at the time.

It was an amazing game in multiplayer built on the rock solid Quake 3 engine code.

There are probably active servers still up.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
40k is a lot of money for a patch.
It´s surprising that 48% of indie devs think that working on XBLA games is excruciating.

Indie devs don't like being told what to do.

They like the funding. They like the spending somebody else's money part. They don't like the being told how to make your game the best it can be part.

Not completely.

Looking at that chart you would expect higher quality indie PSN and even WW games compared to XBLIG, and you don't get that. You would also expect higher quality facebook games compared to iOS and you don't get that either.
Certification and support isn't the only factor leading to platform selection though. Marketshare's a big issue, ratings boards as well (something XBLIG doesn't worry about), as well as royalty structure (sucks on WiiWare especially).

PSN and WiiWare don't really have an equivalent to XBLIG though, there's no garage/hobbyist infrastructure. That's really something else.

Lijik

Indie devs don't like being told what to do.

They like the funding. They like the spending somebody else's money part. They don't like the being told how to make your game the best it can be part.

You're fishing really hard for a tag quote, aintcha?

Hammer24

Banned
Thats just dumb by MS. First they build goodwill with their Indy/XBLA games integration, then they alienate them by making them jump over unnecessary hurdles.
I hope they listen and learn.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Glad to see Tim note the costs. There are a LOT of costs behind the scenes that most gamers have no idea about. Knowing this information makes me laugh when you see people wanting weekly patches to fix small things in certain games. :)

Top Bottom