• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

The gargamel seed is too hardcore for me. Everywhere I go there is a monster and they WONT STOP SPAWNING!

Anyways is there a minecraft anonymous? Cuz I might need one soon.

Hmm can you not do anything with the glowstone dust yet? I just spent awhile mining it in the Nether and now I can't figure out any use for it.

Edit: nm lol just found the glowstone block under the torches in the crafting menu

NinjaBoiX

I played the demo for about 10 minutes, found it interminably dull. I get the idea, the joy is in ownership of you world, but the 8-bit style makes everything look the same (within reason), and with such simple mechanics, I was bored before the sun set. It's hugely popular though, so it's probably just me.

DD-11

I played the demo for about 10 minutes, found it interminably dull. I get the idea, the joy is in ownership of you world, but the 8-bit style makes everything look the same (within reason), and with such simple mechanics, I was bored before the sun set. It's hugely popular though, so it's probably just me.

Not just you. I can't really appreciate it either. I like looking at what others have built, but spending time on it myself isn't much fun.

NinjaBoiX

Not just you. I can't really appreciate it either. I like looking at what others have built, but spending time on it myself isn't much fun.
Destructoid nailed it:
Destructoid said:
While it's incredibly engrossing and more than a little addictive, Minecraft's slow pace and excessive time encroachment can be something of a hassle. Any plans beyond building a small shed and killing things requires a large investment of time, as well as regularly wasted energy. One can spend hours digging underground to grab just enough materials to finish certain creations, and mining often involves huge amounts of doing very little but the same mindless chores over and over again. Getting to the gold, diamonds, and redstone requires vast sessions of simply holding down a button over successive grey blocks, getting deeper and deeper into grey caves full of more grey blocks to brainlessly mine. Walking through the world is slow and tedious, a problem offset by the ability to build minecarts -- which themselves will require lots of tedious mining and walking in order to craft.

Neverfade

Destructoid nailed it:

Calling it: Jim Sterling.

Edit:
19dVe.gif

Perkel

Banned
Destructoid nailed it:

or you can go into caves and look for easy gold diamods and shit ;)

what he wrote is what is awasome about minecraft. You must put serious work to do some awasome things and when you will done it's probably the best thing in the world.

Ggiand gold dick would't be so awasome if you could done it in minutes. (yatzhe review)

NinjaBoiX

Jim Sterling is the Armond White of video games.
To be fair, he gave it 7.5/10, and was very complimentary on various aspects. He just, like me, questions wether hours of holding a button on front of grey blocks is worth it to build a fairly dull block structure or two.

I admire the game for it's approach, and bringing something new, I just found it incredibly boring. I hope those who enjoy it have hours of fun, I'll just watch the best stuff on YouTube.

Schwabe

what's about these waterphysics in minecraft? i tried to make a kind of river... and failed miserably. i dug hours ... for nothing O,o

what's about these waterphysics in minecraft? i tried to make a kind of river... and failed miserably. i dug hours ... for nothing O,o

I believe water moves 8 spaces out from the source block so you would need to place multiple source blocks with a bucket to make a decent river...if that's the problem you were having with water. :p

Also, anyone wanting to build underwater place a stalk of sugar cane or a ladder to create an air pocket so you don't have to resurface as often. I've tried this on the PC version not too sure if it carries over to the 360 version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Being bored before the sun sets is putting hardly any time into it at all. How can you possibly judge the value of a demo based on less than 10 minutes play?

Schwabe

I believe water moves 8 spaces out from the source block so you would need to place multiple source blocks with a bucket to make a decent river...if that's the problem you were having with water. :p

Also, anyone wanting to build underwater place a stalk of sugar cane or a ladder to create an air pocket so you don't have to resurface as often. I've tried this on the PC version not too sure if it carries over to the 360 version.

yes, you got it, i dug my river way to deep. no it is a long "secret" cave beside my castle... with some sheep and cows in it... i love this game^^

NinjaBoiX

Being bored before the sun sets is putting hardly any time into it at all. How can you possibly judge the value of a demo based on less than 10 minutes play?
Well, as I was bored by ten minutes, it's kind of unlikely that another half an hour would make much difference. Plus, Minecraft kind of puts its stall out straight away, its not like I only played darts in GTA4 before deciding it wasn't for me, I tried the bread and butter and didn't feel it. And it wasn't that I wasn't entirely sure, I was utterly bored to tears. Do you think hiding in a dark shack for half on hour would've changed my mind?

^ I believe friends of friends as well

lol tunavi, did you get their gamertags so you could return the favor? If so feel free to post whenever you see them on and I'll help ya ;D

Linius

So people who you let in to your world can destroy everything you build? That's some nasty stuff, I'll be extra carefull with letting people in :p

Linius

I always play like that. But I'm also active on online forums like Neogaf (duh) and sometimes you decide to let someone in from the internet to make some stuff together or something. But now I know they can also destroy my stuff I'll think twice before letting someone in.

Luckily I have a few mates who play this as wel, whom I'm sure of won't destroy my precious buildings :p

Rlan

Doing my XBLA Analysis. Minecraft's Easy Leaderboards show 1,101,563 players. Normal shows 603,265, together for 1,704,828. Jesus.

Linius

I really like the videos this guy from Machinima is making for Minecraft 360. In episode one he begun in the tutorial world and from there he just began playing the game. It's quite entertaining for Minecraft newbies because he also takes some time to explain stuff.

Perkel

Banned
Doing my XBLA Analysis. Minecraft's Easy Leaderboards show 1,101,563 players. Normal shows 603,265, together for 1,704,828. Jesus.

I wonder how updates will be handled. Also i think they should do PS3 version. I remember i used mods on pendrive for UT3 and user generated content for every Pro Evolution Football.

Game could do another mln on PSN.

I raise you
played 20 yesterday :/ no food, no shower, no sleep

According to Raptr I have 38 hours logged.

Question about splitscreen. Can I play splitscreen and still have people online join me? Can me and a splitscreen guest join an online freinds world?

Update news...

4J Studios has confirmed via their Twitter account, what they hope the next Minecraft (XBLA) update will contain. “We’re aiming to update to the major PC releases – first one will be the equivalent of the PC Beta 1.7.3 version.”

Currently it appears as if the game launched with all of the features of Minecraft (PC) Beta 1.6.6. This is the update just prior to pistons and shears. If they make their schedule, the next update will include the following features:

Added pistons.
Fixed clay generation.
Flint and Steel or redstone is now required to trigger TNT.
Fences can be stacked.
Added Shears.
Redstone wire now will connect to a repeater.
Shears can be used to pick up leaf blocks.
Shears can be used to shear sheep without hurting them
Sheep no longer drop wool from being punched, only from being killed when they are unsheared.
New textures for Cobblestone and Brick blocks.
Silverfish skin was added (for Beta 1.8).
This would also include various bug fixes and the such. The clay generation is something everyone is already acutely aware of. Looking at our friends list, there are very few people who have managed to find clay, and even then it’s always under 30 blocks.

Well, as I was bored by ten minutes, it's kind of unlikely that another half an hour would make much difference. Plus, Minecraft kind of puts its stall out straight away, its not like I only played darts in GTA4 before deciding it wasn't for me, I tried the bread and butter and didn't feel it. And it wasn't that I wasn't entirely sure, I was utterly bored to tears. Do you think hiding in a dark shack for half on hour would've changed my mind?

Acquiring blocks initially is much more of a chore than it is for the vast majority of the game. You have to use your hands and then wooden tools which are incredibly slow and weak. You can upgrade to stone and iron tools very quickly that let you destroy most blocks in a fraction of a second. You also wouldn't have to hide in a dark shack for half an hour, since the tutorial should have you make some torches and a bed which lets you sleep through the night. Having not even got that far, I really don't think you have experienced the bread and butter.

But hey, there's a good chance it isn't for you and you would find the whole thing boring. I thought I would be one of those people, but I got addicted to expanding my house and I now sit proud with a castle on a mountain. It's only really once you can see your creation, even something small, that you can get a feeling of what Minecraft is about. It isn't about mining, that's a means to an end and I find that creating something even on a big scale is quicker than you might initially expect it to be. You don't have to be down a mine for hours and hours at a time unless you want a castle made of gold and diamond.

So guys, I made this gorgeous white flying island in the middle of the sea.
It reminds me of 2001, fez, moebius, nausicaa, panzer dragoon all at the same time (yes, I mean it).
Problem is, how do I climb up there? It's flying :lol I want my house to be on the top of the island... grass, flowers, trees, blue water, clouds moving slowly... aaaaah

Linius

Maybe build a glass construction in the sea that will allow you to make stairs that go up to your island? Dunno if that's possible though :p

A flying island sounds pretty awesome though.

Maybe build a glass construction in the sea that will allow you to make stairs that go up to your island? Dunno if that's possible though :p

A flying island sounds pretty awesome though.

Once it's completed (I'm trying to make the grass grow up there... ain't easy it seems) I'll post a picture. I'm very proud of it, 20hrs worth of "work" :lol

Mmmh glass, I could try it, I've got huge amounts of sand

I played the demo for about 10 minutes, found it interminably dull... It's hugely popular though, so it's probably just me.

I too find the game incredibly dull. However, I know exactly what my issue with the game is. I personally find no joy whatsoever in creating things. Just feels like work. For me, destroying and killing are much more fun pursuits for a game. Sad but true. I guess I could play Minecraft online and drop into open games to wreak havoc on people's creations but I don't want to be a douchebag so I'll just avoid the game altogether.

defel

I too find the game incredibly dull. However, I know exactly what my issue with the game is. I personally find no joy whatsoever in creating things. Just feels like work. For me, destroying and killing are much more fun pursuits for a game. Sad but true. I guess I could play Minecraft online and drop into open games to wreak havoc on people's creations but I don't want to be a douchebag so I'll just avoid the game altogether.

I absolutely love the game but I too have zero interest in building stuff. I cant get the motivation to build things and when I do start I just give up. The reason why I love it is the exploration, the fact that you can have micro adventures, hoarding valuable materials and creating cool machines. Thats the beauty of the game, there is something for everyone. The fact that the game inherently has a high barrier to entry understandably puts people off.

There is nothing better than putting on some music, a podcast or tv show, equipping all your mining items and exploring the caves for a couple of hours. I find it borderline meditative.

Top Bottom