• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Here's something fun to think about.

The Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. By this time, the following games had been announced and shown as either in-game footage or a CGI teaser. All of these games were published and/or developed by Nintendo specifically.

- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (enhanced GCN port)
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
- Excite Truck
- Disaster: Day of Crisis
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- Battalion Wars 2
- Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (initially for the GCN)
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Mario Party 8
- Super Paper Mario (initially for the GCN)
- WarioWare: Smooth Moves
- Wii Sports
- Wii Play

As it stands, the Wii U is expected to launch around November 2012, operating on a similar schedule to the Wii. The following is a list of Nintendo published and/or developed titles that have been shown or teased with video.

- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Fit U
- SiNG
- LEGO City: Undercover
- Project P-100
- Wii U Panorama View
- Game & Wario
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (enhanced 360/PS3 port)

A nice comparison of line-ups, don't cha think?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

The Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. By this time, the following games had been announced and shown as either in-game footage or a CGI teaser. All of these games were published and/or developed by Nintendo specifically.

- Super Mario Galaxy
- Excite Truck
- Battalion Wars 2
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Mario Party 8
- Wii Sports
- Wii Play

As it stands, the Wii U is expected to launch around November 2012, operating on a similar schedule to the Wii. The following is a list of Nintendo published and/or developed titles that have been shown or teased with video.

- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Fit U
- SiNG
- Project P-100
- Wii U Panorama View
- Game & Wario

And this is what I called bgassassin out for. He said the content would put this E3 over Nintendo's E3 2006, and that if it didn't, it was because of the "presentation." The presentation might have been balls but the content was even worse. Glad I didn't get suckered into the hype.

- Super Mario Galaxy
- Excite Truck
- Battalion Wars 2
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Mario Party 8
- Wii Sports
- Wii Play

- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Fit U
- SiNG
- Project P-100
- Wii U Panorama View
- Game & Wario

A huge failure by comparison. Zelda, Metroid and 3D Mario? Why not at this show?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back after getting some sleep, I agree that the launch line-up isn't as terrible as it originally seemed. Pikmin, Mario, Lego, Nintendo Land and P-100 all look good. But as with last year's Vita showing at Sony's conference, I'm left feeling like the limited third party presence is very telling. The outlook for this system does not look good.
It definitely seems that Nintendo are going to have to carry this platform alone, so it was imperative that they show off everything they've got to convince people who aren't on board. Showcasing only launch window games is a mistake that's going to really burn them. There is no buzz about this console, and it will take a lot of effort to get it going now.
Last E3 Nintendo said they were making a system that could appeal to both the casual and core. That turned out to be a lot of hot air. I think the heavy casual focus is a huge risk, partly because launches are usually driven by the dedicated fan base, and partly because I'm not convinced that the casual gaming base want to buy a new video game console right now.

Diablos54

- Super Mario Galaxy
- Excite Truck
- Battalion Wars 2
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Mario Party 8
- Wii Sports
- Wii Play

- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Fit U
- SiNG
- Project P-100
- Wii U Panorama View
- Game & Wario

How many of those Wii games did we get at launch? 5 or 6? At least we know that pretty much all we've seen at E3 will be available at launch, not that it makes us feel any better. :(

The Boat

Wii 1st party launch window titles:
- Excite Truck
- Wii Sports
- Wii Play

Wii U 1st party launch window titles:
- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Fit U
- SiNG
- Project P-100
- Wii U Panorama View
- Game & Wario

I think a comparison between launch/launch window titles would be more apt than anouncements. Looks quite different doesn't it?
Not that I disagree that they should've shown one or two things for us to look forward to and to make the conference more exciting, but the last few years they've only been showing games that are coming out somewhat soon.
EDIT: Edited the quote so it didn't seem I was misquoting you ;)

halogamer

Banned
I think Nintendo is trying too hard to re-create the Wii with the WiiU. They aren't showing anything new other than the controller. My prediction is that sales will be bad and they will end up being forced to release a new console.

And this is what I called bgassassin out for. He said the content would put this E3 over Nintendo's E3 2006, and that if it didn't, it was because of the "presentation." The presentation might have been balls but the content was even worse. Glad I didn't get suckered into the hype.

Still taking what I said out of context I see.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

- Super Mario Galaxy
- Excite Truck
- Battalion Wars 2
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Mario Party 8
- Wii Sports
- Wii Play

- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Fit U
- SiNG
- Project P-100
- Wii U Panorama View
- Game & Wario

This sums up exactly why I was counting the days to line up for the Wii at launch, and why I'm now wondering who would even buy a wii u. I know that the Wii stuff was spread out over almost 2-3 years after launch, but at least we knew there was some really cool stuff coming eventually.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think a comparison between launch/launch window titles would be more apt than anouncements. Looks quite different doesn't it?

It does look quite different and I don't think it's more apt. Momentum is momentum, hype is hype, and the Wii U currently has none. It's supposed to be a new home console. They shouldn't be showing just what you'll see tomorrow, but painting a picture of the system's future. Nintendo's future. That is how you announce something big like this.

You are correct in that majority of what I listed did not show up during the launch window. Many didn't come close. But given how miserable the response to the Wii U has been, if Nintendo's policy with big reveals like this is to continually play their cards close to their chest, then clearly this is a bad idea.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, I like NintendoLand, and what they did was great idea.

IF they went with NintendoLand being packed in with Wii U then they could introduce most of newbies and casual players to Nintendo Franchises and they would express their interesting in future games out of NintendoLand.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Leaving aside all the other issues, all Nintendo needed was ONE game that looked great. ONE. And they didn't even come close.

I think the main disappointment is that they leaned too much on past Wii fads, and ports of old games, to bring in a HD machine with a slick new controller.

The controller said to me, 'sophisticated, HD Nintendo games.' The actual stuff they presented gave an entirely different impression. Sketchy and neither here nor there - the whole thing fell flat.

I saw a rumor on the N-Sider boards that Nintendo had trailers for Retro's Game, EAD Tokyo's project, and Aliens: Colonial Marines, but pulled them in favor of the 3DS segment. If true, wrong choice.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What? Pikmin 3 and Mario Bros. will be fantastic games. Bet on it.

Great games - that's why we're here.

No no- I mean they needed to show a title that was clearly a step up from current gen or at the very least on par with The Last Of Us. Something to get people excited. They did not come close.

The Boat

It does look quite different and I don't think it's more apt. Momentum is momentum, hype is hype, and the Wii U currently has none. It's supposed to be a new home console. They shouldn't be showing just what you'll see tomorrow, but painting a picture of the system's future. Nintendo's future. That is how you announce something big like this.

You are correct in that majority of what I listed did not show up during the launch window. Many didn't come close. But given how miserable the response to the Wii U has been, if Nintendo's policy with big reveals like this is to continually play their cards close to their chest, then clearly this is a bad idea.

I agree that they're doing a bad job at creating hype, it's just that I place more value on the actual games that are coming out than just announcements, what happened matters more to me than what they said would happen, ie announcements. Mostly because 1st party wise, I have no doubts the games will keep coming especially when there are many teams unaccounted for.

It's not that I completely disagree with you, I just think that in the long run these things hardly matter and seeing a list of what was shown vs a list of what we'll play is somewhat... disconnected.

Again, I'm not saying they did a good job of creating demand.

AniHawk

so i didn't see the conference.

walked in this morning, went straight to the booth. saw the nintendo land stuff. messed around with panorama view. yeah it's what you'd expect.

zelda: battle quest - pretty boring. it's like the swordfight thing in wii sports resort with some crappy archery stuff if you're the loser with the gamepad.

luigi's mansion: ghost thing - it's basically pac-man vs. so that might be fun for a little while.

donkey kong: puzzle game - actually fun. easily the best part of nintendoland. probably because there's a bunch of puzzles and it requires that you pay attention to things and stuff.

animal crossing: whatever - it's kinda the phantom hourglass multiplayer? i didn't ever seem to get anything done. so yeah.

ninja stars: subtitle - another proof of concept thing like the zelda thing that i can't believe they turned into an actual minigame.

unlike the initial wii sports stuff i can't see myself to returning to any one of these aside from donkey kong. and i would be pretty cool with donkey kong if these were included in the system or available separately on the e-shop. i did get pins for playing them though. that was neat.

new super mario bros. u was next. that was fun. the level design is more nsmbw and less nsmb1/nsmbds so yeah. it looks good too, for what it is. one of the guys we were playing with boasted that we needed to step up our game since he got all the 3 big coins.

my friend: who's that guy?
me: mario.
my friend: it will be done.

and then my friend with the gamepad proceeded to place blocks around him to kill him. it was pretty great.

after that we played tank! tank! tank! and i think that's gotta be an eshop game because otherwise: uh-oh. i also saw trine 2: director's cut so maybe it is.

i don't fucking get the point of having game & wario AND nintendoland. it's pretty much the same shit.

after that we went kinda looking around the nintendo booth. played with the ccpro. the sticks at the top feel weird (just their position), but the face buttons feel good. saw pikmin 3 but didn't play it. i'll make sure to do that tomorrow, along with project p-100 which i didn't know what it was.

as far as other wii u or 3ds stuff goes, we only played rayman legends after that. it was the same demo from the ubisoft conference but PLAYING IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME. i came away with a huge smile after playing it, and even my friend was reasonably impressed with the gamepad implementation. as i put the controller back, i turned around to see my best friend, michel ancel, had been watching us play (and me fail like an idiot at certain parts).

at this rate, i think rayman legends will probably be the best launch game. nsmbu was fun though, and again, i haven't played pikmin 3. pikmin 3 did look like it used to be a wii game though. there wasn't anything special about how it looked, and the wii remote + nunchuck stuff kinda made that obvious. however, i would prefer it with wii remote + nunchuck controls anyway so that's nice.

and then of course nothing really looked great on the system in general. it was probably apparent at the conference, but there weren't any trailers or teases of upcoming 3d marios, zeldas, or metroids. the whole show floor looked like they were heavily continuing off the wii's initial vibe, and the lack of retail stuff that could've or should've been there (call of duty, or darksiders ii), really made a huge difference in the general feel between the other two booths.

i won't talk much about the sony booth because this isn't the place for that, but i think they had at least the most varied lineup at the show. i mean they didn't support the vita at the conference, but it was there in full force at the booth, even so far as each one was a separate controller for playstation all-stars. microsoft also had a nice vibe going for it, with lots of fun fanstuff going on for halo 4 and forza (like todd mcfarlane signing autographs and the big ol' warthog you could take a picture with using a real camera). that's nothing to say of all the third party stuff that was there.

probably the most telling thing was that this morning, there was a section to the nintendo booth that had been cordoned off to keep people away from the nintendoland stuff throughout the day (because it was busy and people were trying to get in). at the end of the day, the ropes that had separated it from the rest of the booth had been removed and you could just walk in.

Lyude77

This sums up exactly why I was counting the days to line up for the Wii at launch, and why I'm now wondering who would even buy a wii u. I know that the Wii stuff was spread out over almost 2-3 years after launch, but at least we knew there was some really cool stuff coming eventually.

I will personally announce a new 3D Mario, SSB, and Zelda game because Nintendo won't, set to launch in 2-3 years. Does that make you more excited? :p I think the lists would look similar if those were added, possibly with the Wii U being better because of 2D Mario. I think it needs a strategy game like Fire Emblem or Battalion Wars 2 for similar variety though.

To be honest, Nintendo probably should have just said, "SSB, 3D Mario, and Zelda are coming, estimated 2014, but we want to focus on what you can play this Holiday."

Oh well, I'm left liking Nintendo Land and wondering why everyone bashes it (I know why, but I still wonder). Even if two of the games are like Pacman Vs., it isn't like many got to play Pacman Vs. anyway with the massive investment of GBAs/connectors. *insert GBA connectivity exaggeration image*

Unrelated: I miss the community WUST. We still need one since Nintendo didn't show much, haha.

Ouch at Anihawk's impressions.
Yeah, I have to agree, especially the last two sentences. Yeesh. At least NSMBU is good, as expected.

Watching Gametrailers inteview with Reggie from earlier today. It was good to see Geoff call out Reggie on the ridiculousness of paying 60 dollars for Batman Arkham City again. Sorry Reggie, tacked on motion controls doesn't equal a new experience.

Leaving aside all the other issues, all Nintendo needed was ONE game that looked great. ONE. And they didn't even come close.
I disagree NSMBU and Pikmin 3 will no doubt be great games. After reading developer interviews and seeing footage this is the most hyped I've been for a Mario game since Galaxy. It looks to finally be a 2D Mario in SMW style. Too bad the 3DS one looks meh and I don't plan on purchasing a Wii U yet.

However, I do agree with the assertion that they needed a hardcore title/ megaton/ bomb drop. That's all they really needed. One small teaser of whatever Retro, EAD Tokyo, etc. is working on, A surprise 3rd party game logo, or at the least a teaser at the next Zelda, Metroid, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, etc. I feel that would've saved the conference had the revealled one major title such as that even if it wasn't going to release until Holiday 2013.

i thought pikmin 3 was it

but i guess dem wii textures

(not that I think the conference wasn't a mess)
Pikmin 3 was great but the nature of the franchise, the fact that it has been absent for 8 years and it being an uport from Wii wasn't going to be the megaton Nintendo needed.

While I still do think the conference is terrible, knowing that it was launch lineup makes me feel a lot better about Wii U in general, all they really needed was that one title/teaser to appease hardcore Nintendo fans.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And like I said, I don't have any control over what they decided to show or not show. If anything, I take fault in not explaining that execute would include not showing some of that content. Because it's not for a lack of games. You're making an opinion into something way bigger than it is.

I am a nerd scorned, see the fire I breath and be afraid.

- Super Mario Galaxy
- Excite Truck
- Battalion Wars 2
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Mario Party 8
- Wii Sports
- Wii Play

- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Fit U
- SiNG
- Project P-100
- Wii U Panorama View
- Game & Wario

They are also expanding their studios and had a new building made and everything? What are they not showing thats taking so long to make? Next Gen must be ramping up production and costs for nintendo so much to only show 5 titles of which all five would have started development as a wii title. None of what they show is their AAA next gen titles that are putting to use the new studios space and the extra inhouse R&D.

We haven't seen Next gen versions of any of these games that should show the wii u power or lack of it for those that flow that way.

Zelda
Mario 3D
Wario
Mario Kart
Smash Brothers
F-Zero
Monolith RPG
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Luigi
Pokemon
Kid Icarus
Star Fox
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Mario Sports Franchises
MArio Party

I strongly believed that none of these titles would be ready if they only started development in early 2011 or late 2010 and built from the ground up for WiiU we are looking at maybe fall 2013 before we see the first two real Next Gen versions of Nintendo games built from the ground up on WiiU engines. I was hoping for one title though

Are we going to see all of them in some form next year? Is the line up in Nintendo Land just a sign of things to come? Will the WiiU come packed in with Nintendo Land or NSMBU?

Here is something interesting.

When Wii launched I bought

Wii Play (with extra controller)
Wii Sports (packin)
Zelda (GC port up)
Rabbids (Ubisoft casual)
Red Steel (Ubisoft core)

When Wii U Launches so far I have these games I am interested in

2nd DRC
Nintendo Land (packin)
NSMB U (Wii Port Up)
Pikmin 3 (Wii Port up)
Zombi (ubisoft core)
Rayman (ubisoft depends if launch)

oh and some download titles but I am still checking them out. project p-100 which looks early is promising I also liked the arcade gameplay of tanks which mean I will be getting two drc's at launch afterall.

I will most likely skip assassin's creed and get it for pc if I do not see any differences in control method or use of tablet features it just looks bad on consoles period due to framerate. Rayman I will not get if its not available at launch obviously but I don't mind switching it to a sports or racing title and that is probably my only complaint with the e3 wiiu lineup.

We will see some more games not ready for e3 but available for launch coming from some japanese companies hopefully in the next week or so.

I am disappointed with no

CoD
Madden
Need for Speed
FIFA/UERO 2012

announcements

as those would have made the launch enough for all types of gamers. I really wanted a FPS to really show the controls off.

Is there supposed to be anymore news announced for the Wii U this week?

I want to hear how online/accounts will work. Achievements too.

DrWong

I saw a rumor on the N-Sider boards that Nintendo had trailers for Retro's Game, EAD Tokyo's project, and Aliens: Colonial Marines, but pulled them in favor of the 3DS segment. If true, wrong choice.

Doubt it. If it was true we would have seen then at the roundtable already.
Don't know guys but as I already said in others threads there're Wii U dedicated videos on the Nintendo youtube channel for Assassins Creed III, Darksider II and Alien Colonial Marines. So why not even fully show these teasers/trailers at the conference? And we know others 3rd party are coming, I don't know, a game like Project CARS... It's strange, it's weird but what hurts me the most is not seeing Retro, Monolith and so on. We know they're working on Wii U games...

And no Japanese support...

That makes not sense. It's worst than the worst E3 scenario.

Why. If this is true, I hope Nintendo shows the Retro and EAD Tokyo games before E3 is over. Hey, just steal 15 minutes from the 3DS show instead of showing some horseshit phoned-in Western third party 3DS game.

so i didn't see the conference.

walked in this morning, went straight to the booth. saw the nintendo land stuff. messed around with panorama view. yeah it's what you'd expect.

zelda: battle quest - pretty boring. it's like the swordfight thing in wii sports resort with some crappy archery stuff if you're the loser with the gamepad.

luigi's mansion: ghost thing - it's basically pac-man vs. so that might be fun for a little while.

donkey kong: puzzle game - actually fun. easily the best part of nintendoland. probably because there's a bunch of puzzles and it requires that you pay attention to things and stuff.

animal crossing: whatever - it's kinda the phantom hourglass multiplayer? i didn't ever seem to get anything done. so yeah.

ninja stars: subtitle - another proof of concept thing like the zelda thing that i can't believe they turned into an actual minigame.

unlike the initial wii sports stuff i can't see myself to returning to any one of these aside from donkey kong. and i would be pretty cool with donkey kong if these were included in the system or available separately on the e-shop. i did get pins for playing them though. that was neat.

new super mario bros. u was next. that was fun. the level design is more nsmbw and less nsmb1/nsmbds so yeah. it looks good too, for what it is. one of the guys we were playing with boasted that we needed to step up our game since he got all the 3 big coins.

and then my friend with the gamepad proceeded to place blocks around him to kill him. it was pretty great.

after that we played tank! tank! tank! and i think that's gotta be an eshop game because otherwise: uh-oh. i also saw trine 2: director's cut so maybe it is.

i don't fucking get the point of having game & wario AND nintendoland. it's pretty much the same shit.

after that we went kinda looking around the nintendo booth. played with the ccpro. the sticks at the top feel weird (just their position), but the face buttons feel good. saw pikmin 3 but didn't play it. i'll make sure to do that tomorrow, along with project p-100 which i didn't know what it was.

as far as other wii u or 3ds stuff goes, we only played rayman legends after that. it was the same demo from the ubisoft conference but PLAYING IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME. i came away with a huge smile after playing it, and even my friend was reasonably impressed with the gamepad implementation. as i put the controller back, i turned around to see my best friend, michel ancel, had been watching us play (and me fail like an idiot at certain parts).

at this rate, i think rayman legends will probably be the best launch game. nsmbu was fun though, and again, i haven't played pikmin 3. pikmin 3 did look like it used to be a wii game though. there wasn't anything special about how it looked, and the wii remote + nunchuck stuff kinda made that obvious. however, i would prefer it with wii remote + nunchuck controls anyway so that's nice.

and then of course nothing really looked great on the system in general. it was probably apparent at the conference, but there weren't any trailers or teases of upcoming 3d marios, zeldas, or metroids. the whole show floor looked like they were heavily continuing off the wii's initial vibe, and the lack of retail stuff that could've or should've been there (call of duty, or darksiders ii), really made a huge difference in the general feel between the other two booths.

i won't talk much about the sony booth because this isn't the place for that, but i think they had at least the most varied lineup at the show. i mean they didn't support the vita at the conference, but it was there in full force at the booth, even so far as each one was a separate controller for playstation all-stars. microsoft also had a nice vibe going for it, with lots of fun fanstuff going on for halo 4 and forza (like todd mcfarlane signing autographs and the big ol' warthog you could take a picture with using a real camera). that's nothing to say of all the third party stuff that was there.

probably the most telling thing was that this morning, there was a section to the nintendo booth that had been cordoned off to keep people away from the nintendoland stuff throughout the day (because it was busy and people were trying to get in). at the end of the day, the ropes that had separated it from the rest of the booth had been removed and you could just walk in.

Sounds like a bunch of hit and miss. I'm glad that some of the games are hitting a home run :)

This is amazing. I never thought of this. All those years in SMB3 my friends and I played against each other in versus. In NSMBWii, the funnest part was sabotaging each other's attempts at jumps at the right time. The Gamepad officially adds in a way to fuck with your friends while you play, giving a true versus mode. As your friend plays, you are the asshole that puts random blocks everywhere to try and stop him.

If Nintendo had its shit together, NSMBWiiU would have a separate mode where you try and sabotage people, with online playability, and you get a ranking based on how well you do at trying to sabotage people. The person you play against also has a ranking based on how well he/she is at surviving sabotage. So, each player has 2 ratings, one for the saboteur role, and one for being Mario. Your rating goes up or down based on how difficult your opponent was compared to your current score (like chess), and you can thus seek out the best saboteurs to test your luck against their skill.

Then, the game should have the ability to upload video recordings for others to watch so everyone can see the epic saboteur vs. Mario battles unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom