• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Wii U -A technical view on Nintendo's big re-reveal (Pikmin 30fps?)

Seik

Banned
Call it what YOU will but Nintendo next console is just joining the current generation.

I'd say its really a next gen because it really has that 'generational leap' over the Wii, first.

It's more like a 'Nintendo next gen'. Anyway who gives a shit if its next gen or not. I mean, the Wii, even if it was a almost nothing better than the gamecube was called 'next gen' too.

Secondly, Its next gen because its coming out during an era where the new consoles will come out. Logistically, that you want it or not, it IS next gen. Even if they would release a fucking 16-bits console, it would still be next-gen technically. Because it would be the generation that follows the Wii's.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Instead, the assets released by Nintendo in particular are notable in how "lo-fi" they are: its own screenshots confirm that some of its most simplistic titles are running at basic 720p resolution with no kind of anti-aliasing whatsoever, just like its demos were a year ago. A closer look at the showcase titles Nintendo debuted at its E3 press conference also shows a puzzling lack of consistency in performance that we wouldn't expect to see in a console based on mature tech less than six months out from release, which we can only explain by the idea that the second screen is imposing more of a drain than we might have otherwise thought. The company's spiritual successor to pack-in title Wii Sports - Nintendo Land - is an interesting example of this inconsistency. In theory this is "home territory" where Nintendo should revel in what it does best. While the concepts and charm are there, the trademark 60Hz update is inconsistent to say the least in certain areas - puzzling for such a visually sparse title.

To be fair, while I totally agree that such a simple looking thing like Nintendo Land shouldn't have any issues, in reality this has zero bearing on the capabilities of the console itself.

People like to say that third parties are lazy on Nintendo systems (which is definitely true), but tend to forget that Nintendo themselves are occasionally capable of laziness themselves.

Well, "laziness" may not necessarily be the right word here, but the point is, with certain titles, Nintendo just feels that they need to achieve some minimum standard, and anything beyond that is unnecessary for that particular title, i.e. Wii Sports. However, everyone by now realizes that just cause Wii Sports wasn't worth giving the time of day, it wasn't an indication that something like Super Mario Galaxy could never be achieved.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As someone who really knows next to nothing about this, what is more taxing for a system 720p at 60fps, or 1080 at 30fps?

If a game is currently being shown at 720p and 30fps, but the new dev kit allows an improvement - what would devs be more likely to aim for, higher res or fps? (or something else? better textures?)

Apologies if these are simple/stupid questions, I'm not good at understanding this stuff.

Roughly the same. 720p is about a million pixels, 1080p is about 2 million. So twice as many pixels, but half the framerate = same overall pixels per second

Not quite that simple - for 60fps you have to calculate the positions of your objects etc twice as often. So in theory 1080p at 30fps should be slightly less taxing.

But as Nintendo has found, 720p at 30 is even less demanding :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, that was what stood out for me. They seem to be making some interesting additions and improvements to the games, using the Gamepad reasonably well and all this without final kits and with middleware that is - reportedly - still unoptimised.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I think that - provided the final kits are the little bump we expect and the middleware situation stabilises - you're going to see ports and cross-plats like Darksiders II looking clearly better.

EDIT:

The key thing for Nintendo is not that the ports and PS360 crossplats look good - though that is important - but that their own titles and any third-party exclusives look bloody great, and clearly better than what is possible on the other two platforms. That's perhaps why I found their titles and the few exclusives that disappointing - they look great, but they needed spectacular. There is time, and I expect some good stuff from Japan, but it's a massive opportunity missed.

Right. Unfortunately by the time the devs come to grips with the U and start regularly surpassing 360/PS3 in all ports, the next Xbox and PS will be out with a potentially massive improvement. As long as the hardware is great for first party games though it should be ok, but Nation seems underwhelming if it fails to push the envelope.

1-D_FTW

Just because it is in 720P does not mean the game cannot run in 1080p. It could have simply been an artistic choice.

If by artistic choice you meant they can't even hold the 60fps @720p, then sure. It was an artistic choice to not be struggling to achieve 30fps @1080p. If that's supposed to me anything else, fail.

Roughly the same. 720p is about a million pixels, 1080p is about 2 million. So twice as many pixels, but half the framerate = same overall pixels per second

Not quite that simple - for 60fps you have to calculate the positions of your objects etc twice as often. So in theory 1080p at 30fps should be slightly less taxing.

But as Nintendo has found, 720p at 30 is even less demanding :)

Thanks. I guess the second screen complicates matters further!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm having such deja vu here from 2005, 2006.

I don't really understand how anyone could be so shocked and outraged over this, me personally having adjusted my expectations about Nintendo's technology long ago.

I'm having such Deja Vu here from 2005, 2006.

I don't really understand how anyone could be so shocked and outraged over this, me personally having adjusted my expectations about Nintendo's technology long ago.
I am personally not concerned about the games running on par with 360/PS3.

Or much worse than PS4/720, as long as it get the games.

I believe if Wii got downport of games this gen, like it's CoD games, it would be selling at least on par with 360+PS3 till now.

Who is still claiming an overall 2-4x improvement over 360 at this point?
I am. I believe if it was less powerful, there was no way Arkham City look even a tad better than 360/PS3 version AND utilize the GamePad this extensively.

And my logic is that The Last of Us looks extremely better than anything shown at 360/PS3 pre-launch; so we may expect the late Wii U games to gradually become that much.

B.O.O.M

Yep looks like I was right in thinking they are in for a world of hurt 3rd party support wise a few years down the road. It's the wii situation all over again

Yep looks like I was right in thinking they are in for a world of hurt 3rd party support wise a few years down the road. It's the wii situation all over again

No...it's not. The Wii architecture was completely different, not just weaker. People need to stop saying it's the Wii situation when that's factually not possible

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm having such deja vu here from 2005, 2006.

Because they heard HD and thought Nintendo was going to play along with the PS4 and 360.

Whatever happens, happens. I get to play Nintendo games in HD with the power of at least the PS360? Awesome. Maybe a cool third party game or two? Dope. Retro and MonolithSoft? Sign me up.

No...it's not. The Wii architecture was completely different, not just weaker. People need to stop saying it's the Wii situation when that's factually not possible
"It's the wii situation all over again" should become bannable; honestly

even against Wii U, there's no way the concept of GamePad at least looking as revolutionary as Motion Control.

Tobor

It's factually not possible that they could be without 3rd party support yet again?

evangd007

If by artistic choice you meant they can't even hold the 60fps @720p, then sure. It was an artistic choice to not be struggling to achieve 30fps @1080p. If that's supposed to me anything else, fail.

It probably went something like this: "We could make Nintendoland 60fps/720p or 30fps/1080p, but does it really matter for this game?"

Seik

Banned
Because they heard HD and thought Nintendo was going to play along with the PS4 and 360.

Whatever happens, happens. I get to play Nintendo games in HD with the power of at least the PS360? Awesome. Maybe a cool third party game or two? Dope. Retro and MonolithSoft? Sign me up.

Hah! EXACTLY! :D

Arklite

Geez.....

I am so tired of the "NEXT GEN" being thrown around. A majority of you couldn't even define what it truly means.

At this point it probably means powerful multimedia device, at least by many expectations. Nintendo seems to be fine with being an affordable gaming appliance more than anything.

It probably went something like this: "We could make Nintendoland 60fps/720p or 30fps/1080p, but does it really matter for this game?"
I am not sure about resolution; but I remember the Ocarina of Time fps being capped because it made the animations look unnatural.

(though, I believe they just didn't care about these stuff while making NintendoLand, just maybe they fix it before release, maybe )

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Yay for lowered expectations.

B.O.O.M

It wasn't just about the architecture now was it? Developing for ps360 was just easier because they closer to each other in their capabilities. Now if the same thing occurs with the next gen of xbox and PS and if they land around the same ball park for power, 3rd parties will not bother with the wiiu at all. Heck even now they don't look like they are putting much of an effort outside of Ubi

Hiltz

Even with 6+months away from release, I don't expect to see a noticable difference in the performance of these launch/launch window games. Nintendo compromised in order to once again make a machine that is competitively priced, profitable from the start, and based around controller innovation. What you see is what you get.

and the article mentions 60hz. what is the difference between 60fps and 60hz?
60hz: refresh rate of the screen

fps : frame drawn by the hardware per second.

Your screen may refresh 2 times, but in both two times it shows the same image, because the fps is below 60.

A relevant example: 2 GamePad running together was reported to half the 'fps'; however, the only thing that is logical, is that it halves the 'refresh rate'.
And the reason is pretty simple: The transmitter of Wii U is limited to updating the screen of a single GamePad at the refresh rate of 60Hz, so when there are two GamePad, it divides its 60Hz between the two gamepad.

Willing to bet that Pikmin 3 is being locked to 30fps.
Unlike NintendoLand, this can be a design decision; if you notice, DF particularly mentions the excellence of animations; that is something which may change by increasing the fram rate.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"It's the wii situation all over again" should become bannable; honestly.

Calling Wii an overclocked Gamecube was bannable even after Wii had been out a couple years. It was the truth.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
1280 x 720 with that embedded RAM amount (if the leaked specs are true as we've still don't REALLY know) means you should basically be able to get free 4x MSAA. So it's the reason why so many would shoot for 720p over 1080p. That being said if you do that there is no frick'n excuse not to have AA on in your game then.

I am personally not concerned about the games running on par with 360/PS3.

Or much worse than PS4/720, as long as it get the games.

I believe if Wii got downport of games this gen, like it's CoD games, it would be selling at least on par with 360+PS3 till now.

I am. I believe if it was less powerful, there was no way Arkham City look even a tad better than 360/PS3 version AND utilize the GamePad this extensively.

And my logic is that The Last of Us looks extremely better than anything shown at 360/PS3 pre-launch; so we may expect the late Wii U games to gradually become that much.

So Wii U will get The Last of Us quality graphics 6 or 7 years from now? Cool beans.

Calling Wii an overclocked Gamecube was bannable even after Wii had been out a couple years. It was the truth.
You can overclock a gamepad and get a Wiimote? Wow!

So Wii U will get The Last of Us quality graphics 6 or 7 years from now? Cool beans.
AC3 looks extremely better than anything pre-launch on 360/PS3 too.
At least troll intelligently.

Analysis confirms that Pikmin 3 runs at a fairly solid 30 frames per second, with just the occasional, minor drop in frame-rate when effects work pushes the hardware a little more. This does not tally with a report from the showfloor, where an unnamed rep said it will ship at 60Hz. Of all of the Nintendo titles on display, it's Pikmin 3 that had the most modern attributes in terms of what was being rendered on-screen, and the adherence to 30 frames per second once again strongly suggests that the core hardware represents no fundamental leap in capabilities over what current-gen consoles offer. While we should fully expect optimisation efforts in the time before release, it's highly unlikely that ballpark performance will change radically.

Oh boy lol.

Merovin

The fact that people haven't realised that Nintendo do not care about generation standards and are doing their own thing, I just don't understand. They basically created their own generation between PS2 era and PS3 era.

Top Bottom